Using an external drive on OS X & Win XP

Is it possible to partition (and format) an external drive in such a way
that the result is 2 partitions.

One of the partition I want to be used by Mac OS X and also should be
bootable (if possible). The other partition should be usable by Win XP
(FAT32 or NTFS), here no need to boot.

The external drive has a FireWire and an USB connector.
--

gr,
Antonio

In article
<BedenkEensWatLeuks-26FCF6.20224130102003@news.fu-berlin.de>,
 AnToNio <BedenkEensWatLeuks@NotSoHotMail.com> wrote:

:> Is it possible to partition (and format) an external drive in such a way
:> that the result is 2 partitions.
:>
:> One of the partition I want to be used by Mac OS X and also should be
:> bootable (if possible). The other partition should be usable by Win XP
:> (FAT32 or NTFS), here no need to boot.
:>
:> The external drive has a FireWire and an USB connector.

You should be able to partition that drive into two partitions on any
platform that can handle the drive itself.  You can connect it via
FireWire, for instance, to your Mac and partition it.  You can install a
bootable OS X onto one partition and pretty much ignore the second
partition.  Then you should be able to hook it up to the XP box and
format the second partition for its use.  I don't know for sure if Disk
Utility can format the drive for FAT32, though.  I also don't know if XP
can read the Mac's HFS+ filesystem, but when it comes back to the Mac
side you'll be able to see both partitions.  You just can't connect it
to both machines simultaneously.

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama

1.  Connect to OS X and made 3 partitions, put some data on it and was
able to boot from it on the iMac.

However when connected to Win XP, XP does not see the partitions and
tell me first to partition.

2.  Connect to XP and partition there, everything worked. However upon
connecting to the iMac, OS X says the drive cannot beread but must be
initialized.

3.  Connected to OS x, made 2 partition. One partition HFS+ the other
nothing specified. iMac sees the one partition, however Win sees again
nothing.

4.  Connected to XP, made 2 partitions. One in XP HFS file system, the
second one no filesystem. Works again fine but not on OS X.

Can you give some more info on how I should do it, would be very much
appreciated.

Gr,
Ton

--