f



Which OS for Performa 6320?

Hi,

I've recently been reviving my old Performa 6320.

It has 64M RAM and currently runs Mac OS 8.1.

Would I get a performance increase by upgrading
it to OS 9.2?

Best Wishes,
James

--
"Be excellent to each other", Bill & Ted
0
az71 (4)
9/15/2006 9:08:06 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7121 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

12 Replies
419 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 28

In article <eedqh7$s6d$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, James <az@despammed.com> 
wrote:

> I've recently been reviving my old Performa 6320.  It has 64M RAM
> and currently runs Mac OS 8.1.
> 
> Would I get a performance increase by upgrading it to OS 9.2?

Probably not.  In fact, the Installer may not even ALLOW it.  According to 
EveryMac.com

<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_6320cd.h
tml>

The "highest" you can go is 9.0.  Good luck!
-- 
            :)
JR

PowerMac G4 MDD 1.25 SP
Mac OS X 10.4.7
0
jim.redelfs2 (176)
9/15/2006 11:52:19 AM
Jim Redelfs <jim.redelfs@NOSPAMredelfs.com> wrote:

> The "highest" you can go is 9.0.

There's no Mac that can run 9.0 but not 9.1.

-- 
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/prius.shtml> Prius shirts & bumper stickers
<http://cafepress.com/comedancing> Ballroom dance-themed shirts & gift
0
mike2 (2270)
9/15/2006 12:24:13 PM
In article <1hlp5qk.lutmue1xxj44oN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
 mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Jim Redelfs <jim.redelfs@NOSPAMredelfs.com> wrote:
> 
> > The "highest" you can go is 9.0.
> 
> There's no Mac that can run 9.0 but not 9.1.

9.2.2 should be the correct highest version.

Hers is one link for some older software:

http://www.eskimo.com/~pristine/olden.html
0
calvin (79)
9/15/2006 10:08:46 PM
Calvin <calvin@microsoft.com> wrote:

> 9.2.2 should be the correct highest version.

No, it shouldn't.  Only Macs with G3, G4 and G5 processors can go past
9.1 (without resorting to hackery).

-- 
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/prius.shtml> Prius shirts & bumper stickers
<http://cafepress.com/comedancing> Ballroom dance-themed shirts & gift
0
mike2 (2270)
9/15/2006 10:13:55 PM
In article <1hlpx8r.ubsvp21jcba54N%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
 mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Calvin <calvin@microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> > 9.2.2 should be the correct highest version.
> 
> No, it shouldn't.  Only Macs with G3, G4 and G5 processors can go past
> 9.1 (without resorting to hackery).

Oh, I forgot that I had a G3 card in my 6100.  It ran 9.2.2.
oops.....
0
calvin (79)
9/16/2006 3:52:17 AM
Calvin <calvin@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Oh, I forgot that I had a G3 card in my 6100.  It ran 9.2.2.

And even then it took a hack, likely provided by the manufacturer, to
get past 9.1.  Apple's installer, on its own, would inform you it's an
unsupported computer.

-- 
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/prius.shtml> Prius shirts & bumper stickers
<http://cafepress.com/comedancing> Ballroom dance-themed shirts & gift
0
mike2 (2270)
9/16/2006 2:10:17 PM
In article <1hlr5jk.1izub521f53zqgN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
 mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Calvin <calvin@microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> > Oh, I forgot that I had a G3 card in my 6100.  It ran 9.2.2.
> 
> And even then it took a hack, likely provided by the manufacturer, to
> get past 9.1.  Apple's installer, on its own, would inform you it's an
> unsupported computer.

What about 8.6? Runs well on an 8500 I still use and supports Carbonlib 
as well as connecting to AFP over IP (but not serving it).

M.D.
0
do916 (68)
9/16/2006 5:53:14 PM
The Mac Dude <do@not.use> wrote:

> What about 8.6?

What about 8.6?  We're talking about the latest OS you can run.

-- 
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/prius.shtml> Prius shirts & bumper stickers
<http://cafepress.com/comedancing> Ballroom dance-themed shirts & gift
0
mike2 (2270)
9/16/2006 6:17:30 PM

> There's no Mac that can run 9.0 but not 9.1.
That's right, Mike. Mactracker says this Performa's maximum OS is 9.1

Laraine
http://lbarker.orcon.net.nz

0
lbarker (73)
9/16/2006 6:57:10 PM
Thanks folks, 9.2.2 is out then.

Would 9.1 be better than the 8.1 I have at the moment?

I guess with 9.1 there's a trade-off between more native PowerPC
code versus more OS bloat.

Best Wishes,
James

--
"Be excellent to each other", Bill & Ted
0
az71 (4)
9/18/2006 8:56:10 AM
I think I ran 8.6 on my 5320 just fine.
0
ross.winn (18)
9/24/2006 4:26:44 PM
You can use OS 9.1
See mactracker.com

Ross Winn wrote:
> I think I ran 8.6 on my 5320 just fine.

0
jeff
9/25/2006 12:49:55 AM
Reply: