Which OS for Performa 6320?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I've recently been reviving my old Performa 6320.

It has 64M RAM and currently runs Mac OS 8.1.

Would I get a performance increase by upgrading
it to OS 9.2?

Best Wishes,
James

--
"Be excellent to each other", Bill & Ted
0

See related articles to this posting

In article <eedqh7$s6d$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, James <az@despammed.com>
wrote:

> I've recently been reviving my old Performa 6320.  It has 64M RAM
> and currently runs Mac OS 8.1.
>
> Would I get a performance increase by upgrading it to OS 9.2?

Probably not.  In fact, the Installer may not even ALLOW it.  According to
EveryMac.com

<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_6320cd.h
tml>

The "highest" you can go is 9.0.  Good luck!
--
            :)
JR

PowerMac G4 MDD 1.25 SP
Mac OS X 10.4.7
0
Reply jim.redelfs2 (176) 9/15/2006 11:52:19 AM

Jim Redelfs <jim.redelfs@NOSPAMredelfs.com> wrote:

> The "highest" you can go is 9.0.

There's no Mac that can run 9.0 but not 9.1.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts

In article <1hlp5qk.lutmue1xxj44oN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
 mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Jim Redelfs <jim.redelfs@NOSPAMredelfs.com> wrote:
>
> > The "highest" you can go is 9.0.
>
> There's no Mac that can run 9.0 but not 9.1.

9.2.2 should be the correct highest version.

Hers is one link for some older software:

http://www.eskimo.com/~pristine/olden.html
0
Reply calvin (79) 9/15/2006 10:08:46 PM

Calvin <calvin@microsoft.com> wrote:

> 9.2.2 should be the correct highest version.

No, it shouldn't.  Only Macs with G3, G4 and G5 processors can go past
9.1 (without resorting to hackery).

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/prius.shtml> Prius shirts & bumper stickers
<http://cafepress.com/comedancing> Ballroom dance-themed shirts & gift
0
Reply mike2 (2270) 9/15/2006 10:13:55 PM

In article <1hlpx8r.ubsvp21jcba54N%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
 mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Calvin <calvin@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > 9.2.2 should be the correct highest version.
>
> No, it shouldn't.  Only Macs with G3, G4 and G5 processors can go past
> 9.1 (without resorting to hackery).

Oh, I forgot that I had a G3 card in my 6100.  It ran 9.2.2.
oops.....
0
Reply calvin (79) 9/16/2006 3:52:17 AM

Calvin <calvin@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Oh, I forgot that I had a G3 card in my 6100.  It ran 9.2.2.

And even then it took a hack, likely provided by the manufacturer, to
get past 9.1.  Apple's installer, on its own, would inform you it's an
unsupported computer.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/prius.shtml> Prius shirts & bumper stickers
<http://cafepress.com/comedancing> Ballroom dance-themed shirts & gift
0
Reply mike2 (2270) 9/16/2006 2:10:17 PM

In article <1hlr5jk.1izub521f53zqgN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
 mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Calvin <calvin@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Oh, I forgot that I had a G3 card in my 6100.  It ran 9.2.2.
>
> And even then it took a hack, likely provided by the manufacturer, to
> get past 9.1.  Apple's installer, on its own, would inform you it's an
> unsupported computer.

What about 8.6? Runs well on an 8500 I still use and supports Carbonlib
as well as connecting to AFP over IP (but not serving it).

M.D.
0
Reply do916 (68) 9/16/2006 5:53:14 PM

The Mac Dude <do@not.use> wrote:

> What about 8.6?

What about 8.6?  We're talking about the latest OS you can run.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/prius.shtml> Prius shirts & bumper stickers
<http://cafepress.com/comedancing> Ballroom dance-themed shirts & gift
0
Reply mike2 (2270) 9/16/2006 6:17:30 PM

> There's no Mac that can run 9.0 but not 9.1.
That's right, Mike. Mactracker says this Performa's maximum OS is 9.1

Laraine
http://lbarker.orcon.net.nz

0
Reply lbarker (73) 9/16/2006 6:57:10 PM

Thanks folks, 9.2.2 is out then.

Would 9.1 be better than the 8.1 I have at the moment?

I guess with 9.1 there's a trade-off between more native PowerPC
code versus more OS bloat.

Best Wishes,
James

--
"Be excellent to each other", Bill & Ted
0
Reply az71 (4) 9/18/2006 8:56:10 AM

I think I ran 8.6 on my 5320 just fine.
0
Reply ross.winn (18) 9/24/2006 4:26:44 PM

You can use OS 9.1
See mactracker.com

Ross Winn wrote:
> I think I ran 8.6 on my 5320 just fine.

0
Reply jeff 9/25/2006 12:49:55 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 6999 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

power supply connector performa 6320
Hello, i have performa without psu, so i would know the pinout of power supply connector.The bigger and smaller. thank ...

Performa 6400: what's uinque? Which OS?
I'm setting up a Performa 6400 for my brother. I'm familiar with most Macs of that era (I've got a Power Mac 8500), but I know the Performas are distant cousins of the PM's. (This model isn't effected by the "repair program" that was needed for pre-6400 Performa models. I've checked the Apple Tech Info Lib in that respect...) I know that the Comm slot is used for modem and network cards, and requires special drivers for that. If I remove the (slow) modem, un-block the Modem serial port, and use an external modem, can I install just the regular OS so...

Software needed for Performa 475 / OS 7.61
Greetings, group, I've been referred here to ask questions about Mac software. :) So if I'm in the wrong group, please point me in the right direction! I've been given an old Performa 475 running OS 7.61. It hasn't been upgraded with the PowerPC chip, so it's still got its' original 68LC040. 20Mb RAM. It runs well enough once it's booted. I put on IE 4.01, which seems to run REALLY slow, so I'm wondering if there's a faster and more up-to-date alternative out there? Also looking for some MP3 playing software (I'm told this machine is just about ...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')
> -----Original Message----- > From: Soterro [mailto:soterroatyahoocom@address.hp.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 9:43 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > Main, Kerry wrote: > >>From: John Smith [mailto:a@nonymous.com]=20 > >>You aren't directly to blame for this and I know you'd like=20 > >>to keep your > &...

comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.redhat, comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.os.linux.help
Ok, I just installed Linux. Here's the story, in the hope it will help others take the same step. I decided to install Linux for a simple reason - Windows died. I had been running Win95 on my 6 year old Pentium 166MMX. One day, it stopped booting up. The startup disk also wouldn't boot. Not even to DOS. It would get as far as "Checking DMZ data" (or something) and then the screen would go blank, as if the computer had switched itself off. Strangely enough, I *could* boot from my Linux installer CD's. However, RH8 refused to use the graphical installer, and Mandrake 8 sai...

.another new OS. .another new OS. .another new OS
..another new OS. My...........how prolific apple is.................................................................... At this rate OS XI will be here, in less than a decade. In article <ZivCg.8195$Nx4.4588@bignews8.bellsouth.net>, "zara" <zspook@adelphia.com> wrote: > .another new OS. My...........how prolific apple > is.................................................................... > > At this rate OS XI will be here, in less than a decade. > > Zero, OSX.4 = 32 bit. OSX.5 = 64 bit. Call it what you want. Either way it's a ...

Resource gathering, comp.os.linux.questions, comp.os.linux.redhat, comp.os.linux.setup, comp.os.linux.embedded
Hello all, I am currently trying to gather resources on developing a POS system. The system is very basic, practically a cash register with some communication. I plan to develop it in Java on a Linux box. I would like to set up Linux in a way that it can bring up a Java gui with minimal installed components, disabling all unnecessary software. Now, I have a few questions. First, I don't see any reason to install a graphical Linux environment. I figure linux should have no problem bringing up a Java GUI at startup. However, where do I go to find decent documentation on all the prein...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

Inconsistency between os.getgroups and os.system('groups') after os.setgroups()
Run this test program as root: import os print "before:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") os.setgroups([]) print "after:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in any gr= oups, just as you would expect. However the groups command run using os.sy= stem says that the process is in the root group. It appears that the new p= rocess started by os.system augments the group membership specified in the = os.setgroups command with the group of the actual user of the original proc= ess (which ...

Transferring OS 9 applications from OS 9 machine to OS X machine?
To transfer a number of OS 9 applications from an existing OS 9 machine to a new OS X (Panther) machine, my understanding is that I copy the applications into the Applications (OS 9) folder on the new machine. (Some of my apps will be upgraded to new OS X versions, but many others won't.) But how do I handle the associated extensions and preferences? Can I just copy the entire old OS 9 System Folder into the same location? Or the old System Folder with certain stuff (such as the old System and Finder) removed? Or transfer individual preference files for the specific apps? To ...

An OS-tan for RISC OS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os-tan Why haven't we got one for RO? I suggest a cartoon squirrel/schoolgirl hybrid that is menaced, hentai style, by three tentacles labelled 'Microsoft','Hewson' and 'Blair'. -- Vsadnik On 2-Apr-2005, "Vsadnik" <myedniy_vsadnik@hotmail.com> wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os-tan > > Why haven't we got one for RO? [snip] Because RISC OS is masculine ?? -- David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk> In article <3b9luaF6hqti2U1@individual.net>, David Holden <news@apdl.co.uk&...

os.pipe() + os.fork()
--Sig_/DfRt9Dxw+_.=lNFY4dG045U Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I have a problem using os.pipe() together with os.fork(). Usually when the writing end of the pipe is closed, the reading end gets EOF. So subsequent attempts to read data will return an empty string. But when you call os.fork() after you have created a pipe using os.pipe(), and read data from the pipe in the child process, when the partent process has already closed the writing end, the reading end does not get EOF. Instead of the os.read() call in the child process is b...

OS 9 AFTER OS X
Hi Everyone... When I re-did my iMac a little while back, I installed OS X 10.3, without installing OS 9 first. Therefore, my "classic" mode is currently not installed and will not work. My problem at this point, is that if I put in my OS 9 installation CD and attempt to run the "install", it wants to open in "classic" which obviously isn't there yet. If I boot off of the CD and run the installation will that work, or will I lose all my data and my OS X installation? Is there any way to install OS 9 now that I already have OS X installed? I'm a relat...

Is it OS-Ten or OS-Ecks?
Oh, sure, it followed OS9 so it must be OS-Ten but I think Apple just couldn't resist the play on letters and digits and went for what they thought would be cool -- that is, the X that simultaneously represents uniX and 10. I personally believe that it is OS-Ecks just like Linux, Ultrix, Xenix, AIX and even A/UX and, for that matter. even Minix. Because the X in Mac OS X is part of the name and not the version, it will always be Mac OS X until they abandon Unix which may be never or it may be in 15 years -- I can't imagine that I could be any good at predicting the future. When they...

OS
Hi! What's the best OS for running java applications? Dan "David Zimmerman" <dzimm@hiddenmind.com> wrote in message news:bpp%a.718$Ge7.71908@twister.southeast.rr.com... > > > Dan Peder Eriksen wrote: > > > Hi! > > > > What's the best OS for running java applications? > > > If you must have an IDE and the IDE you must have only runs on a > particular OS, the question is moot. Of course, but most java applications are OS independent. >More generally, if the tools you must use (for whatever reason, job >requirement, l...

OS
I would like to (at least try) to create my own OS, I know that C++ was to some degree designed for that task but I have no Idea where to start, or how to learn. neither the local library nor bookstore has any books about programming OSs and their selection in programming in general is rather slim. ANy suggestions? > I would like to (at least try) to create my own OS, I know that C++ > was to some degree designed for that task but I have no Idea where to > start, or how to learn. neither the local library nor bookstore has > any books about programming OSs and their selection i...

os
hi friends, in our company all the system are good configuration but when they access any file from interanet it is working very slow. what is the solution. prabeen <prabeen.subhasri@gmail.com> writes: > hi friends, in our company all the system are good configuration but > when they access any file from interanet it is working very slow. what > is the solution. Faster internet connection? It could honestly be 100 different things. Your question is not well constrained. -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net/ prabeen wrote: > hi friends, in our com...

comp.os.linux.development.system, alt.os.development,comp.os.linux.misc
I would appreciate any help on the following questions. I have looked on disk scheduling algorithms <http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall06/cos318/lectures/disks.pdf> and the main thing that striked me is that most of the algorithms that i have read in the textbooks (some are explained in the previous ) don't take into consideration the "priority of the process". Being the short seek time first, scan, or c-scan algorithm, all are explained through a string of block numbers, but no mention is given about the owner of these blocks.does it mean all the processes ...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS')
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 2:45 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 [snip..] >=20 > These days, the CIO reads trade mags on the commuter train=20 > and sees people > moving to windows or Linux and decides that his company must=20 > be ahead of the > race and hurry to migrate to this week's trendy product. >=20 >=20 > ITS ALL ABOU...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #4
> -----Original Message----- > From: Larry Kilgallen [mailto:Kilgallen@SpamCop.net]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 5:33 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > In article=20 > <FD827B33AB0D9C4E92EACEEFEE2BA2FB45D86E@tayexc19.americas.cpqc > orp.net>, "Main, Kerry" <kerry.main@hp.com> writes: > >=20 > >> -----Original Message----- > >> From: Larry Kilgallen [mailto:Kilgallen@SpamCop.net]=3D20 > ...

INSPECT: OS/VS vs. IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS and OS/390 3.2.0
All righty... as mentioned the other day I coded: 01 CHAR-1 PIC X. 01 CHAR-80 PIC X(80). .... PROCEDURE DIVISION. PERFORM INSPECT-1. PERFORM INSPECT-80. GOBACK. INSPECT-1. INSPECT CHAR-1 REPLACING ALL 'a' BY 'A'. INSPECT-80. INSPECT CHAR-80 REPLACING ALL 'a' BY 'A' ALL 'b' B...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #2
> -----Original Message----- > From: John Smith [mailto:a@nonymous.com]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 6:18 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 [snip...] > How many 30'something CTO's even know what VMS is? How many=20 > of their system > architects or programmers? After the .crash era, there are likely very few CTO's left in their 30's. Those folks are more likely back in the trenches doing mid level mgmt jobs. Hey, I a...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #3