functions to read Hardware-IDs or MAC-adresses of specific computer

Hi there,

I am  looking for a OS 8.X and 9 function which reads out either  computer
specific (unique) hardware IDs from components like harddisks or the
MAC-adress of the network adaptor. I am not a very experienced Mac
programmer, my apologies... so a code snippet would be great! I' ve got
Codewarrior 5 here but didn't find information concerning my problem neither
in the docs nor on the website, I only found OS X related solutions.

Thanks a lot,

cheers
Bernhard

0
Bernhard
9/11/2003 8:26:49 AM
comp.sys.mac.oop.powerplant 447 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <bjpbk9$lf38k$1@ID-53934.news.uni-berlin.de>,
 "Bernhard Wittek" <bw@infosolutions.de> wrote:

> I am  looking for a OS 8.X and 9 function which reads out either  computer
> specific (unique) hardware IDs from components like harddisks or the
> MAC-adress of the network adaptor. I am not a very experienced Mac
> programmer, my apologies... so a code snippet would be great! I' ve got
> Codewarrior 5 here but didn't find information concerning my problem neither
> in the docs nor on the website, I only found OS X related solutions.

<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1103.html>

hth

meeroh

Miro
9/11/2003 11:22:39 AM
In article <macdev-B46E7C.07223911092003@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,
Miro Jurisic <macdev@meeroh.org> wrote:

> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1103.html

And be aware that most of the numbers you might think of using can be
spoofed. In part this is because even if you think it's coming from
hardware, often the OS (both 9 and X) is reading once at boot time and
caching that value. The team I was with found this out the hard way.
0
Raoul
9/12/2003 11:07:10 PM
In article <r.ortega-495464.16071012092003@news.speakeasy.net>,
 Raoul Ortega <r.ortega@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> And be aware that most of the numbers you might think of using can be
> spoofed. In part this is because even if you think it's coming from
> hardware, often the OS (both 9 and X) is reading once at boot time and
> caching that value. The team I was with found this out the hard way.

I'd love to hear the details.
0
David
9/13/2003 1:54:16 AM
In article <oster-18AE78.18541812092003@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>,
 David Phillip Oster <oster@ieee.org> wrote:

> In article <r.ortega-495464.16071012092003@news.speakeasy.net>,
>  Raoul Ortega <r.ortega@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>
> > And be aware that most of the numbers you might think of using can be
> > spoofed. In part this is because even if you think it's coming from
> > hardware, often the OS (both 9 and X) is reading once at boot time and
> > caching that value. The team I was with found this out the hard way.
>
> I'd love to hear the details.

About what? Changing the MAC address?

meeroh

Miro
9/13/2003 4:37:21 AM
In article <macdev-286CAA.00372113092003@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,
 Miro Jurisic <macdev@meeroh.org> wrote:

> In article <oster-18AE78.18541812092003@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>,
>  David Phillip Oster <oster@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <r.ortega-495464.16071012092003@news.speakeasy.net>,
> >  Raoul Ortega <r.ortega@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> >
> > > And be aware that most of the numbers you might think of using can be
> > > spoofed. In part this is because even if you think it's coming from
> > > hardware, often the OS (both 9 and X) is reading once at boot time and
> > > caching that value. The team I was with found this out the hard way.
> >
> > I'd love to hear the details.
>
> About what? Changing the MAC address?

What Raoul Ortega's team was trying to accomplish, how they went about
it, and what other people did so that it failed.
0
David
9/13/2003 6:09:23 AM
In article <oster-18AE78.18541812092003@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>, David
Phillip Oster <oster@ieee.org> wrote:

> In article <r.ortega-495464.16071012092003@news.speakeasy.net>,
>  Raoul Ortega <r.ortega@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>
> > And be aware that most of the numbers you might think of using can be
> > spoofed. In part this is because even if you think it's coming from
> > hardware, often the OS (both 9 and X) is reading once at boot time and
> > caching that value. The team I was with found this out the hard way.
>
> I'd love to hear the details.

Well, I can't talk about most of it, but here's one program that, when
it first appeared, got my attention...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/9802
0
Raoul
9/14/2003 2:57:06 AM
In article <r.ortega-495464.16071012092003@news.speakeasy.net>,
 Raoul Ortega <r.ortega@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> In article <macdev-B46E7C.07223911092003@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,
> Miro Jurisic <macdev@meeroh.org> wrote:
>
> > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1103.html
>
> And be aware that most of the numbers you might think of using can be
> spoofed. In part this is because even if you think it's coming from
> hardware, often the OS (both 9 and X) is reading once at boot time and
> caching that value. The team I was with found this out the hard way.

The above technote refers to getting the Ethernet address from Open
Transport.  Depending on how old of computers that you're targeting, you
can usually get the Ethernet addresses from the name registry (9); I
don't believe that those values are overridden (I could be wrong,
though).  Getting these addresses from the name registry is a bit more
complicated, though, as (depending on WHY you need them), you may have
to have a bit of code to figure out what that address is connected to
(i.e., built-in Ethernet, PCI Ethernet card, multi-port Ethernet PCI
card, etc)

Mark
0
Mark