2015 MBP freezes under 10.11.6

Apparently this is a widely known problem.  Unfortunately, I didn't know
about it before buying one for my wife last month.

She has the latest 2015 15" MBP with the SSD drive running 10.11.6.  [I
have a similar 2012 model that has no problems.]  Google indicates the
problem cropped up with 10.11.4 and nobody really knows what to do about
it.  However, I have determined that the problem doesn't exist with Safe
Boot and I am wondering what a regular boot starts up that Safe Boot
doesn't.

The problem only shows up on her computer when awakening from sleep.
With this problem others have encountered the fan running; we only saw
that once (so far).  Others have had problems relating to specific
programs but that is not the case here.  Under regular boot we tried
killing any running programs.  Then we added programs that start on
login.  Finally we just logged off to be sure whatever was happening was
at the system level.  In every case it froze on wakening.  The cursor
arrow would eventually appear but it didn't do anything.

Safe Boot is different.  We have not encountered any problems no matter
what we have done.  Therefore, we got to wondering what Safe Boot
DOESN'T start.  Activity Monitor was no help.  There are too many things
running, even under Safe Boot.  We thought somebody might know what
doesn't run and that might lead to the source of the problem.
0
Robert
10/27/2016 5:24:00 PM
comp.sys.mac.portables 3106 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Robert Peirce:
> Apparently this is a widely known problem.  Unfortunately, I didn't know
> about it before buying one for my wife last month.
>
> She has the latest 2015 15" MBP with the SSD drive running 10.11.6

Any thought of upgrading to the current version of Mac OS? If it
doesn't fix the problem, which it might well do, it probably won't make
it worse.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
0
Davoud
10/31/2016 8:56:11 PM
On 10/31/16 4:56 PM, Davoud wrote:
> Any thought of upgrading to the current version of Mac OS? If it
> doesn't fix the problem, which it might well do, it probably won't make
> it worse.

I am in VA, waiting until I return to PA.  I think it should be okay.  I
haven't heard of anything terribly disturbing.

I have narrowed the problem down to the display going to sleep. If you
set the computer up to stay awake when the display sleeps it still
freezes.  If you never let the display sleep it doesn't.

I was expecting "infant mortality" but the machine passed the Apple
hardware test, which may not be extensive enough.  Anyhow, I thought I
would check at the local Apple store on return to see if they know anything.
0
Robert
10/31/2016 11:51:39 PM
Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> Apparently this is a widely known problem.  Unfortunately, I didn't know
> about it before buying one for my wife last month.
>
> She has the latest 2015 15" MBP with the SSD drive running 10.11.6.  [I
> have a similar 2012 model that has no problems.]  Google indicates the
> problem cropped up with 10.11.4 and nobody really knows what to do about
> it.  However, I have determined that the problem doesn't exist with Safe
> Boot and I am wondering what a regular boot starts up that Safe Boot
> doesn't.
>
> The problem only shows up on her computer when awakening from sleep.
> With this problem others have encountered the fan running; we only saw
> that once (so far).  Others have had problems relating to specific
> programs but that is not the case here.  Under regular boot we tried
> killing any running programs.  Then we added programs that start on
> login.  Finally we just logged off to be sure whatever was happening was
> at the system level.  In every case it froze on wakening.  The cursor
> arrow would eventually appear but it didn't do anything.
>
> Safe Boot is different.  We have not encountered any problems no matter
> what we have done.  Therefore, we got to wondering what Safe Boot
> DOESN'T start.  Activity Monitor was no help.  There are too many things
> running, even under Safe Boot.  We thought somebody might know what
> doesn't run and that might lead to the source of the problem.

Could be a malfunctioning third-party kernel extension. What do you have in
/Library/Extensions?

JR
0
Jolly
10/31/2016 11:58:30 PM
On 10/31/16 7:58 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Could be a malfunctioning third-party kernel extension. What do you have in
> /Library/Extensions?

There are 12 extensions but they all date to 2015 or earlier.  These
were migrated from the computer we replaced.  That computer and my own
2012 model worked/works with these extensions.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the display sleeping but I
don't know what.

0
Robert
11/2/2016 9:22:59 PM
On 2016-11-02, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> On 10/31/16 7:58 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> Could be a malfunctioning third-party kernel extension. What do you
>> have in /Library/Extensions?
>
> There are 12 extensions but they all date to 2015 or earlier.

Okay, but I asked for a list of them. Are they a secret for some reason?

> These were migrated from the computer we replaced.

Good to know. It's possible one or more were not migrated completely or
is malfunctioning after being migrated for some reason.

> That computer and my own 2012 model worked/works with these
> extensions.

But that's another computer where they were installed with their native
installer rather than being migrated.

> I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the display sleeping but I
> don't know what.

Kernel extensions are notorious for misbehaving during sleep/wake
events.  That's why I asked in the first place. ; )

So about that list...

JR
0
Jolly
11/3/2016 12:36:23 AM
On 11/2/16 8:36 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the display sleeping but I
>> don't know what.
>
> Kernel extensions are notorious for misbehaving during sleep/wake
> events.  That's why I asked in the first place. ; )
>
> So about that list...

I misunderstood.  Here's the list, with comparisons:

On problem MBP			On Mini			On my MBP
AC3x.kext			ACS6x.kext		ACS6x.kext
ArcMSR.kext
ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
ATTOExpfessSASHBA2.kext
ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
CalDigitHPProDrv.kext
				DroboTBT.kext		DroboTBT.kext
						EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
HighPointOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
hp_io_enabler_compound.kext
PromiseSTEX.kext
SoftRAID.kext
				TCNear.kext		Same
				TrustedDataSCSIDriver.kext	Same

All have the same name, except as noted.  I didn't byte compare these
but ACS3x.kext, whatever that is, is unique to the problem computer.
The others have ACS6x.kext.  I have no idea if that matters.
0
Robert
11/4/2016 11:03:45 PM
Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

> On 11/2/16 8:36 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> >> I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the display sleeping but I
> >> don't know what.
> >
> > Kernel extensions are notorious for misbehaving during sleep/wake
> > events.  That's why I asked in the first place. ; )
> >
> > So about that list...
> >

> I misunderstood.  Here's the list, with comparisons:
>
> On problem MBP                        On Mini                 On my MBP
> AC3x.kext                     ACS6x.kext              ACS6x.kext
> ArcMSR.kext
> ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
> ATTOExpfessSASHBA2.kext
> ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
> CalDigitHPProDrv.kext
>                               DroboTBT.kext           DroboTBT.kext
>                                               EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
> HighPointOP.kext
> HighPointRR.kext
> hp_io_enabler_compound.kext
> PromiseSTEX.kext
> SoftRAID.kext
>                               TCNear.kext             Same
>                               TrustedDataSCSIDriver.kext      Same
>
> All have the same name, except as noted.  I didn't byte compare these
> but ACS3x.kext, whatever that is, is unique to the problem computer.
> The others have ACS6x.kext.  I have no idea if that matters.

I also have an "ACS6x.kext" on two Macs, one running 10.11.6 and the
other running 10.12.1. Get Info says mine is version 3.1.8, dated June
2014, and its copyright message says "Copyright (c) 2004-2014 Accusys,
Inc."

I haven't installed any third party software which might include drivers
on the Mac running 10.11.6, so it looks it is installed by Apple as part
of the standard system.

Confirmed. It is in the installers for macOS Sierra 10.12.1, OS X El
Capitan 10.11.6 and OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. It isn't in the installer for
OS X Mavericks 10.9.5.

I didn't see AC3x.kext in the installer for any of those OS versions.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
On 2016-11-04, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/16 8:36 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the display sleeping but I
>>> don't know what.
>>
>> Kernel extensions are notorious for misbehaving during sleep/wake
>> events.  That's why I asked in the first place. ; )
>>
>> So about that list...
>>

> I misunderstood.  Here's the list, with comparisons:
>
> On problem MBP			On Mini			On my MBP
> AC3x.kext			ACS6x.kext		ACS6x.kext
> ArcMSR.kext
> ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
> ATTOExpfessSASHBA2.kext
> ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
> CalDigitHPProDrv.kext
> 				DroboTBT.kext		DroboTBT.kext
> 						EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
> HighPointOP.kext
> HighPointRR.kext
> hp_io_enabler_compound.kext
> PromiseSTEX.kext
> SoftRAID.kext
> 				TCNear.kext		Same
> 				TrustedDataSCSIDriver.kext	Same
>
> All have the same name, except as noted.  I didn't byte compare these
> but ACS3x.kext, whatever that is, is unique to the problem computer.
> The others have ACS6x.kext.  I have no idea if that matters.

hp_io_enabler_compound.kext seems to be part of HP 8600e printer
software. It's been known to cause issues:

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7286706?start=0&tstart=0>

Are you actually using an HP printer with the problem MBP? Was
this migrated over? You may want to try downloading an uninstaller from
HP for that software package to remove all vestiges of it from the
machine in case it's the cause of the problem.

JR
0
Jolly
11/5/2016 1:06:40 AM
On 2016-11-05, David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> I didn't see AC3x.kext in the installer for any of those OS versions.

That was likely a typo (ACS3x.kext).

JR
0
Jolly
11/5/2016 1:08:26 AM
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2016-11-05, David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> >
> > I didn't see AC3x.kext in the installer for any of those OS versions.
>
> That was likely a typo (ACS3x.kext).

I didn't find anything with a similar name in /Library/Extensions in the
installers: nothing else with a name starting with AC apart from
ACS6x.kext in Yosemite and later.

In any case, the absence of ACS6x.kext on the misbehaving MBPro is odd,
because it is part of the OS install.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
On 2016-11-05, David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-11-05, David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't see AC3x.kext in the installer for any of those OS
>>> versions.
>>
>> That was likely a typo (ACS3x.kext).
>
> I didn't find anything with a similar name in /Library/Extensions in
> the installers: nothing else with a name starting with AC apart from
> ACS6x.kext in Yosemite and later.

It could be named ACS3x.kext for the 32-bit version and ACS64x.kext for
the 64-bit version.

> In any case, the absence of ACS6x.kext on the misbehaving MBPro is
> odd, because it is part of the OS install.

Considering that this system was migrated from another Mac (unmentioned
in the initial post), it's possible whatever version got migrated is not
compatible with this newer computer. An incompatible kernel extension
could definitely cause sleep/wake malfunctions.

JR
0
Jolly
11/5/2016 4:17:30 AM
On 2016-11-05, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2016-11-05, David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> That was likely a typo (ACS3x.kext).
>>
>> I didn't find anything with a similar name in /Library/Extensions in
>> the installers: nothing else with a name starting with AC apart from
>> ACS6x.kext in Yosemite and later.
>
> It could be named ACS3x.kext

Oops, brain fart. I meant ACS32x.kext.

JR
0
Jolly
11/5/2016 4:32:56 AM
On 11/4/16 7:03 PM, Robert Peirce wrote:
> On problem MBP            On Mini            On my MBP
> AC3x.kext            ACS6x.kext        ACS6x.kext

This is wrong.  I just checked and it now says AC6x.  I may have
miss-typed it but now I don't know.

> All have the same name, except as noted.  I didn't byte compare these
> but ACS3x.kext, whatever that is, is unique to the problem computer. The
> others have ACS6x.kext.  I have no idea if that matters.

I ran diff -r on all the directories between the problem MBP and my MBP.
  They are all the same.

I'm not sure to what degree diff matches cmp.  I suppose the bytes must
be different for the line to be different.  I used to have a directory
compare utility that used cmp but I lost it years ago.
0
Robert
11/5/2016 1:09:20 PM
On 11/5/16 9:09 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
> On 11/4/16 7:03 PM, Robert Peirce wrote:
>> On problem MBP            On Mini            On my MBP
>> AC3x.kext            ACS6x.kext        ACS6x.kext
>
> This is wrong.  I just checked and it now says AC6x.  I may have
> miss-typed it but now I don't know.

Not  being sure if that ACS3x was correct or not, I have allowed the
problem MBP to go to sleep to see if it freezes.  However, as an old
friend used to say, "You can never prove the absence of a bug."  It may
wake up but still freeze later.
0
Robert
11/5/2016 1:22:08 PM
On 11/4/16 9:06 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Are you actually using an HP printer with the problem MBP? Was
> this migrated over? You may want to try downloading an uninstaller from
> HP for that software package to remove all vestiges of it from the
> machine in case it's the cause of the problem.

I have an HP Office Jet 6000 wireless printer that all my computers use
in PA.  In VA I have an USB Epson on my MBP that I share with the other MBP.

However, hp_io_enabler_compound.kext is identical on both machines.

0
Robert
11/5/2016 1:22:11 PM
On 11/5/16 9:22 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
> On 11/5/16 9:09 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
>> On 11/4/16 7:03 PM, Robert Peirce wrote:
>>> On problem MBP            On Mini            On my MBP
>>> AC3x.kext            ACS6x.kext        ACS6x.kext
>>
>> This is wrong.  I just checked and it now says AC6x.  I may have
>> miss-typed it but now I don't know.
>

> Not  being sure if that ACS3x was correct or not, I have allowed the
> problem MBP to go to sleep to see if it freezes.  However, as an old
> friend used to say, "You can never prove the absence of a bug."  It may
> wake up but still freeze later.

I tried this several times and it still froze.  Since all the kernel
extensions match all three computers it must be something else.

0
Robert
11/5/2016 5:34:45 PM
Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> On 11/5/16 9:22 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
>>>
>>> This is wrong.  I just checked and it now says AC6x.  I may have
>>> miss-typed it but now I don't know.
>>

>> Not  being sure if that ACS3x was correct or not, I have allowed the
>> problem MBP to go to sleep to see if it freezes.  However, as an old
>> friend used to say, "You can never prove the absence of a bug."  It may
>> wake up but still freeze later.
>
> I tried this several times and it still froze.  Since all the kernel
> extensions match all three computers it must be something else.

I forget: Have you made note of the time of the freeze, then looked at the
system log for any error messages around that time?

JR
0
Jolly
11/5/2016 6:35:10 PM
On 11/5/16 2:35 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> I forget: Have you made note of the time of the freeze, then looked at the
> system log for any error messages around that time?

No, I have not.  I have great difficulty working with logs.  I can never
figure out which one to examine and I really don't understand what I am
looking at/for.
0
Robert
11/7/2016 12:10:21 AM
Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> On 11/5/16 2:35 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> I forget: Have you made note of the time of the freeze, then looked at the
>> system log for any error messages around that time?
>
> No, I have not.  I have great difficulty working with logs.  I can never
> figure out which one to examine

The system log is at /var/log/system.log.

> and I really don't understand what I am
> looking at/for.

Messages with a time stamp at or near the time of the problem. See above.

JR
0
Jolly
11/7/2016 1:50:45 AM
I updated the computer to Sierra and that seems to have solved the
problem.  Of course, one can never know that for sure but so far so good.
0
Robert
11/11/2016 4:00:51 PM
After updating to Sierra my wife's 2015 MBP stopped freezing but now my
Mid-2012 MBP freezes!  I knew about when I logged off and when I
rebooted so I looked at the console log.  There were too many messages
to mention and most of them either I didn't understand or didn't have
any idea what to do about.  For example:

Nov 23 11:19:56 robert-peirces-computer com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]
(com.apple.VoiceOver.running): The HideUntilCheckIn property is an
architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.

OK, but how?

The following occurred between the time I logged off and tried to log
back on and had to reboot.  I'm thinking the 11:22 message was the last
one before it froze.  11:32 may have been when I started trying to logon
and 11:40 seems to be when I rebooted.

Nov 23 11:22:49 robert-peirces-computer com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]
(com.apple.security.idskeychainsyncingproxy[9540]): Service did not exit
5 seconds after SIGTERM. Sending SIGKILL.
Nov 23 11:32:38 robert-peirces-computer syslogd[72]: ASL Sender Statistics
Nov 23 11:40:42 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1479919242 0
0
Robert
11/23/2016 5:00:42 PM
On 2016-11-23, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> After updating to Sierra my wife's 2015 MBP stopped freezing but now my
> Mid-2012 MBP freezes!  I knew about when I logged off and when I
> rebooted so I looked at the console log.  There were too many messages
> to mention and most of them either I didn't understand or didn't have
> any idea what to do about.  For example:
>
> Nov 23 11:19:56 robert-peirces-computer com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]
> (com.apple.VoiceOver.running): The HideUntilCheckIn property is an
> architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.
>
> OK, but how?
>
> The following occurred between the time I logged off and tried to log
> back on and had to reboot.  I'm thinking the 11:22 message was the last
> one before it froze.  11:32 may have been when I started trying to logon
> and 11:40 seems to be when I rebooted.
>
> Nov 23 11:22:49 robert-peirces-computer com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]
> (com.apple.security.idskeychainsyncingproxy[9540]): Service did not exit
> 5 seconds after SIGTERM. Sending SIGKILL.
> Nov 23 11:32:38 robert-peirces-computer syslogd[72]: ASL Sender Statistics
> Nov 23 11:40:42 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1479919242 0

You haven't described the nature of the freeze. When does it happen?
What are you doing with the computer at the time? Does the cursor move
when you move the mouse/trackpad? Etc.

JR
0
Jolly
11/23/2016 5:15:22 PM
On 11/23/16 12:15 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> You haven't described the nature of the freeze. When does it happen?
> What are you doing with the computer at the time? Does the cursor move
> when you move the mouse/trackpad? Etc.

It is the same problem as my wife's had.  If you let the machine go to
sleep it may not wake up.  Usually this happens if I log off for the
night.  This morning I just left it for a couple of hours and when I
came back all I had was the screen saver.  I couldn't even get the mouse
icon to wake up.

My wife's computer seemed to freeze every time you let it sleep under
10.11.6.  Mine only does it sometimes.  I have not kept track of what
percentage of the time it freezes but it is less than 100%.  Her's
always froze.

0
Robert
11/23/2016 6:48:16 PM
On 2016-11-23, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> On 11/23/16 12:15 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> You haven't described the nature of the freeze. When does it happen?
>> What are you doing with the computer at the time? Does the cursor move
>> when you move the mouse/trackpad? Etc.
>
> It is the same problem as my wife's had.  If you let the machine go to
> sleep it may not wake up.  Usually this happens if I log off for the
> night.  This morning I just left it for a couple of hours and when I
> came back all I had was the screen saver.

Did the screen saver continue animations after you tried to wake up the
computer? Or did it stop and display something else? Or was the screen
static (frozen)?

> I couldn't even get the mouse icon to wake up.

Are you trying to say that the cursor wouldn't move when you moved the
mouse?

Did you try pressing the space bar or another key on the keyboard?

Did the computer respond in *any* way to your efforts to wake it up?

> My wife's computer seemed to freeze every time you let it sleep under
> 10.11.6.  Mine only does it sometimes.  I have not kept track of what
> percentage of the time it freezes but it is less than 100%.  Her's
> always froze.

There's got to be something in common between the two of them. Often
kernel panics are caused by misbehaving drivers. So perhaps they both
have the same third-party kernel extension installed, or perhaps both
are connected to the same make/model external USB device(s that are
malfunctioning during sleep/wake events). If the kernel is panicking
there should be a corresponding panic log with details about the panic;
IIRC you posted one of them for the other machine...

JR
0
Jolly
11/23/2016 11:44:32 PM
On 11/23/16 6:44 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Did the screen saver continue animations after you tried to wake up the
> computer? Or did it stop and display something else? Or was the screen
> static (frozen)?

Frozen

>> I couldn't even get the mouse icon to wake up.
>
> Are you trying to say that the cursor wouldn't move when you moved the
> mouse?
>
> Did you try pressing the space bar or another key on the keyboard?
>
> Did the computer respond in *any* way to your efforts to wake it up?

The cursor didn't even appear.  I pressed several different keys with no
result.  Eventually I had to power down and back up

> There's got to be something in common between the two of them. Often
> kernel panics are caused by misbehaving drivers. So perhaps they both
> have the same third-party kernel extension installed, or perhaps both
> are connected to the same make/model external USB device(s that are
> malfunctioning during sleep/wake events). If the kernel is panicking
> there should be a corresponding panic log with details about the panic;
> IIRC you posted one of them for the other machine...

I have some add-on stuff but her machine is about as clean as can be.
The only thing we have in commons is we both use the Microsoft Wireless
Mobile Mouse 3000, but disconnecting it doesn't seem to help.  The
interesting thing is I had not problem with 10.11 and she die.  Now she
has no problem with 10.12 but I do.  However, it isn't every time for
me.  I can't even tell in advance if it will freeze.  Sometime it does
and sometimes it doesn't.  When I looked at the console logs I saw
nothing that I cold identify as any kind of a panic.
0
Robert
11/26/2016 9:49:14 PM
I have an update based on more experience.  As near as I can tell the
ONLY time this happens is if I log off and let the screen go to sleep
[black].  There may be a time period required but I have not determined
that.  If I don't log off and the screen goes to sleep it seems always
to wake up, even overnight.

When I attempt to wake the computer to log in the screen stays black.
However, I have a Kensington USB numeric pad that has indicator lights
and they stay on.  Therefore, as near as I can tell the computer is
still functioning in some way.  The screen just won't wake up.

I wondered why this doesn't happen with my wife's 2015 MBP but
remembered she shuts her computer off when she is not using it.  We're
going to try logging off and leaving it on at night to see what happens.
0
Robert
12/2/2016 3:51:24 PM
On 2016-12-02, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> I have an update based on more experience.  As near as I can tell the
> ONLY time this happens is if I log off and let the screen go to sleep
> [black].  There may be a time period required but I have not determined
> that.  If I don't log off and the screen goes to sleep it seems always
> to wake up, even overnight.
>
> When I attempt to wake the computer to log in the screen stays black.
> However, I have a Kensington USB numeric pad that has indicator lights
> and they stay on.  Therefore, as near as I can tell the computer is
> still functioning in some way.  The screen just won't wake up.

And nothing is logged in the system log around the time of the wake
event?

It's possible one of the peripherals you have connected to the machine
is not handling the wake event properly. You could rule that out by
disconnecting all peripherals before letting the machine sleep. If the
problem happens anyway, you've ruled out peripheral issues.

JR
0
Jolly