Does anybody make a 5Tb external drive that is powered off USB?

I have my iTunes database as identical instances in PA and VA.  A friend
suggested it might be easier to put it on a large, portable external
drive and cart it back and forth, using the PA and VA dbs for occasional
backup instead of trying to keep them both synced.

The more I thought about it the more sense it made.  However, every
drive I looked at has an extra power supply I would also have to take
with me, either that or have multiple supplies.  I know some smaller
drives are powered off the USB bus but I don't know of any this large.
Are there any?
0
Robert
11/4/2016 11:10:47 PM
comp.sys.mac.portables 3106 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <nvj4hm$17c4$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Robert Peirce
<bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

> I have my iTunes database as identical instances in PA and VA.  A friend
> suggested it might be easier to put it on a large, portable external
> drive and cart it back and forth, using the PA and VA dbs for occasional
> backup instead of trying to keep them both synced.
>
> The more I thought about it the more sense it made.  However, every
> drive I looked at has an extra power supply I would also have to take
> with me, either that or have multiple supplies.  I know some smaller
> drives are powered off the USB bus but I don't know of any this large.
> Are there any?

Sizes are increasing all the time (and decreasing in price or the same
price for bigger capacity). Such a drive will be expensive.

The latest issue of the UK magazine MacFormat August 2016 I've just got
has a review of these two USB-powered (although both USB-C, so you may
need an adaptor back to USB):

    - LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB
<http://www.lacie.com/personal/porsche-design/porsche-design-mobile-driv
e-mac/>
      Not quite the right capacity, but there may be bigger
      capacity versions already / soon. Comes with USB-A adaptor.

    - Seagate Innov8 8TB
      <http://www.seagate.com/consumer/backup/innov8/>

You could probably build one yourself using a bare drive and an
external USB enclosure. You may also need a "Y-cable" to use two USB
ports to get enough power.
0
Your
11/5/2016 6:19:22 AM
In article <051120161919221093%YourName@YourISP.com>, Your Name
<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> You could probably build one yourself using a bare drive and an
> external USB enclosure. You may also need a "Y-cable" to use two USB
> ports to get enough power.

there is no need for a usb y cable.
0
nospam
11/5/2016 2:22:42 PM
On 11/5/16 2:19 AM, Your Name wrote:
> Sizes are increasing all the time (and decreasing in price or the same
> price for bigger capacity). Such a drive will be expensive.

As you say.  I found a 4Tb USB powered portable drive for $120 which
will be more than enough for some time.  By the time I really need 5-6Tb
one should probably be available at around the same price or less.
0
Robert