Does my PowerBook G4 15" (1 Ghz) have USB2 support or only 1.1?

Hi. I cannot find the detailed specifications on the USB speed on my
PowerBook G4 1 Ghz (15") that I bought a year ago. I checked its manual
and Apple's Web site. I think the information on the Web site is for
the newer PowerBook G4s.

Does anyone know?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown
  /\___/\
| |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
0
ANTant
12/18/2003 11:47:57 PM
comp.sys.mac.portables 3106 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Hi. I cannot find the detailed specifications on the USB speed on my
> PowerBook G4 1 Ghz (15") that I bought a year ago. I checked its manual
> and Apple's Web site. I think the information on the Web site is for
> the newer PowerBook G4s.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

See the URL below, they talk about the difference between
the models:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88248#15

Reply to the newsgroup, I don't want more SPAM and/or virus
on this test account

0
Razer
12/19/2003 12:17:16 AM
Without researching it, if you bought the system a year ago then my guess is
the ports are most likely the 1.1 standard.

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I cannot find the detailed specifications on the USB speed on my
> PowerBook G4 1 Ghz (15") that I bought a year ago. I checked its manual
> and Apple's Web site. I think the information on the Web site is for
> the newer PowerBook G4s.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown
>   /\___/\
>  / /\ /\ \                    Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
>    \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
>     ( )

0
Rick
12/19/2003 1:12:16 AM

Take a look at <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75431>.

> Does anyone know?

It's USB 1.1, not USB 2 (so say the specs about the GHz TiBook I'm using
here).

> Thank you in advance. :)
0
Steve
12/19/2003 4:22:01 AM
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:12:16 -0800, Rick Blythin wrote
(in message <YfsEb.18961$CK3.1759188@news20.bellglobal.com>):

Probably 1.1.  The way to be sure is to click on the apple in the upper
right corner, select 'about this Mac' next 'select more info' then click
on hardware/usb it will give you a display.  Select the top of the table
on the right and it will list all the usb devices and what is plugged
into it below or you can select them one at a time. It should look
something like this:

USB Bus:

  Vendor Name:	Apple Computer, Inc.
  Product ID:	32773 ($8005)
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Bus Power (mA):	500

USB Optical Internet Trackball:

  Vendor Name:	Macally Peripherals
  Speed:	Up to 1.5 Mb/sec
  Product ID:	8305 ($2071)
  Bus Power (mA):	500

USB Bus:

USB High-Speed Bus:

  Vendor Name:	Apple Computer, Inc.
  Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Product ID:	32774 ($8006)
  Bus Power (mA):	500

if it says 480 Mb its 2.0 12 Mb its 1.1
I payed $30 this week for a USB 2.0 that plugged into my card slot.  Did
9 gigs to my external hard drive in 40 minutes.  That would have been 7
to 8 hours with the 1.1

> Without researching it, if you bought the system a year ago then my guess is
> the ports are most likely the 1.1 standard.
>
> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
>> Hi. I cannot find the detailed specifications on the USB speed on my
>> PowerBook G4 1 Ghz (15") that I bought a year ago. I checked its manual
>> and Apple's Web site. I think the information on the Web site is for
>> the newer PowerBook G4s.
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>> --
>> "May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown
>> /\___/\
>> / /\ /\ \                    Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
>> \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
>> ( )

0
John
12/19/2003 5:29:19 AM
Thanks I did check that, but I don't remember mine reporting speed. I do
have MacOS X 10.2.8 (all updates).

--
"May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                    Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
0
ANTant
12/19/2003 8:50:38 PM
Steve Hix <sehix@nospamspeakeasy.netinvalid> wrote:
> In article <m7ednZMqbe4woX-iRVn-vg@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
> wrote:

> > Hi. I cannot find the detailed specifications on the USB speed on my
> > PowerBook G4 1 Ghz (15") that I bought a year ago. I checked its manual
> > and Apple's Web site. I think the information on the Web site is for
> > the newer PowerBook G4s.

> Take a look at <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75431>.

> > Does anyone know?

> It's USB 1.1, not USB 2 (so say the specs about the GHz TiBook I'm using
> here).
>
> > Thank you in advance. :)

Thanks. This probably explains why it takes about ten minutes to copy
80 MB of files to a USB Flash Drive (USB 2 supported). :)
--
"May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                    Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
0
ANTant
12/19/2003 8:54:41 PM
I still don't see the speed numbers. Maybe it is because I am still using
MacOS X 10.2.8? You said Apple in the upper right corner? Mine is on the top
left. What I see is a diagram with the different devices. I tried clicking
on each device, but nothing happen.

--
"May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                    Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
0
ANTant
12/20/2003 11:29:40 AM
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 3:29:40 -0800, ANTant@zimage.com wrote
(in message <U5CdnUb4IpQ5r3miRVn-iw@mminternet.net>):

Ok, my bad, I meant my other right, commonly called the left.  I am
running Panther so that is probably why we are seeing different things.
Often with the USB 1.1 if you hook a 1.1 connection to a USB 2.0 device
the first time you connect it you will often get some kind of message
that says it will be connected at a lower speed.  If you ever got that
then that was why.  If you have the box the computer came in, on the top
by the handle it will say just about everything about the computer, mine
says USB.  If it was USB 2.0 I am sure it would say so since it even
tells the ethernet speed on it.  Someone with 2.0 could confirm this.  It
sounds like you have 1.1.  I thought I had 2.0 as well.  I even bought an
external 2.0 hard drive and I could have gotten the same model with
firewire. If you want 2.0 and you sound like you do:  I was in Fry's
electronics store in Vegas this week and they had a number of card slot
USB devices from $29.99 to $70.  I bought the cheapest and it works
really well.  Under 5 minutes a gigabyte. I put a stop watch on it and it
did 9.3 gigs in 41 minutes from the time I dropped it into the external
hard drive to when it was finished writing it.  They also make hubs that
have USB 2.0 ports that would run off the fire wire connection.

> I still don't see the speed numbers. Maybe it is because I am still using
> MacOS X 10.2.8? You said Apple in the upper right corner? Mine is on the top
> left. What I see is a diagram with the different devices. I tried clicking
> on each device, but nothing happen.
>

> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>> Thanks I did check that, but I don't remember mine reporting speed. I do
>> have MacOS X 10.2.8 (all updates).
>

>> John Biltz <biltzjohn@cox.net> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:12:16 -0800, Rick Blythin wrote
>>> (in message <YfsEb.18961$CK3.1759188@news20.bellglobal.com>):
>
>>> Probably 1.1.  The way to be sure is to click on the apple in the upper
>>> right corner, select 'about this Mac' next 'select more info' then click
>>> on hardware/usb it will give you a display.  Select the top of the table
>>> on the right and it will list all the usb devices and what is plugged
>>> into it below or you can select them one at a time. It should look
>>> something like this:
>

>>> USB Bus:
>
>>> Vendor Name:  Apple Computer, Inc.
>>> Product ID:   32773 ($8005)
>>> Speed:        Up to 12 Mb/sec
>>> Bus Power (mA):       500
>
>>> USB Optical Internet Trackball:
>
>>> Vendor Name:  Macally Peripherals
>>> Speed:        Up to 1.5 Mb/sec
>>> Product ID:   8305 ($2071)
>>> Bus Power (mA):       500
>
>>> USB Bus:
>
>>> USB High-Speed Bus:
>
>>> Vendor Name:  Apple Computer, Inc.
>>> Speed:        Up to 480 Mb/sec
>>> Product ID:   32774 ($8006)
>>> Bus Power (mA):       500
>
>>> if it says 480 Mb its 2.0 12 Mb its 1.1
>>> I payed $30 this week for a USB 2.0 that plugged into my card slot.  Did
>>> 9 gigs to my external hard drive in 40 minutes.  That would have been 7
>>> to 8 hours with the 1.1

0
John
12/20/2003 5:52:56 PM
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Thanks. This probably explains why it takes about ten minutes to copy
> 80 MB of files to a USB Flash Drive (USB 2 supported). :)

If you have questions regarding the the specs of a Mac, have a look at
MacTracker (http://www.mactracker.ca/downloads/).

Bye
Boris
--
Boris.Zech@gmx.de
That is: Boris Zech, 21465 Reinbek, Germany/Europe

--
"May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown
  /\___/\
 / /\ /\ \                    Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
0
ANTant
12/21/2003 12:31:31 AM
Boris Zech <Boris.Zech@gmx.de> wrote:
> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > Thanks. This probably explains why it takes about ten minutes to copy
> > 80 MB of files to a USB Flash Drive (USB 2 supported). :)

> If you have questions regarding the the specs of a Mac, have a look at
> MacTracker (http://www.mactracker.ca/downloads/).

Thanks. Cool utility, but too bad it doesn't tell me which computer I am
using. ;)
--
         "Why eat ants when an uncle will do?" --Tymoutta Aardvarka of
                                                            Sarcastica
 / /\ /\ \                    Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
0
ANTant
12/22/2003 7:16:43 PM
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hmm, I did notice copying 80 MB of files took about 10 minutes to finish
> for a USB Flash Drive (256 MB and USB2 supported). Is there a hardware
> list program to find details?

applications>utilties>system profiler

--
Paul Fuchs
paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net
Paul Fuchs <paulfuchs@porkaintkosher.oink> wrote:
> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > Hmm, I did notice copying 80 MB of files took about 10 minutes to finish
> > for a USB Flash Drive (256 MB and USB2 supported). Is there a hardware
> > list program to find details?
> >
> applications>utilties>system profiler

Thanks, but as noted in earlier replies, it doesn't show that information.
I am still using MacOS X 10.2.8 and it is "Apple System Profiler" which
took me a few minutes to find.

--
     "... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being
   torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend