how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?

Hi all -

    I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is
getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and
replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to
ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there
instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I
can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I
don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc.
Is it possible to clone my internal drive onto the new one somehow so that
when I swap it, I get my old file system and computer behavior back
*exactly* as it was, plus a bunch of free space? Or are there invisible
files kept in specific sectors or other weird disk-specific properties that
will not work? Is there any way to put things on a new drive to have an
exact copy of the old files? Thanks in advance for any info. If possible,
please cc: replies to mlevin77@comcast.net.

Mike

0
Mike
7/5/2003 4:22:23 PM
comp.sys.mac.portables 3106 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

in article 1fxoit8.138okjhp8o3lsN%flavio_matanitakethisbitout@mac.com,
Flavio Matani at flavio_matanitakethisbitout@mac.com wrote on 7/6/03 9:30
AM:

> can't help you with the changing the drive, but when you manage to do
> it, Carbon Copy Cloner (don't have the URL at hand, check macupdate.com)
> can transfer your old system -in fact, the whole of  your old drive's
> content, to your new one.

great idea. I looked it up but only saw an OSX version. Do you have any idea
where I can get one (maybe an older version) for OS9?

Mike

0
Mike
7/6/2003 6:47:18 PM
In article <BB2C737E.10C32%mlevin77@comcast.net>,
 Mike Levin <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
>     I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is
> getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and
> replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to
> ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there
> instructions somewhere on-line?

You can find a service manual for this Mac at
<http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html>.  It will include
disassembly/replacement instructions, with pictures.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 1.4:  Best cleanup yet, gets files other tools miss.
<mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:

> in article 1fxoit8.138okjhp8o3lsN%flavio_matanitakethisbitout@mac.com,
> Flavio Matani at flavio_matanitakethisbitout@mac.com wrote on 7/6/03 9:30
> AM:
>
> > can't help you with the changing the drive, but when you manage to do
> > it, Carbon Copy Cloner (don't have the URL at hand, check macupdate.com)
> > can transfer your old system -in fact, the whole of  your old drive's
> > content, to your new one.
>
> great idea. I looked it up but only saw an OSX version. Do you have any idea
> where I can get one (maybe an older version) for OS9?

for os9 and earlier, to copy a drive simply drag everything to the new
drive. doesn't get any simpler than that. there is no need for special
cloning software.

as for they physical swap, its not too bad, but do look at the service
manual if possible. its easier than swapping a drive in an ibook.
0
nospam
7/6/2003 8:00:54 PM
Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> You can find a service manual for this Mac at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html>.  It will include
> disassembly/replacement instructions, with pictures.

I have seem web sites that appeared very similar to the above.  Maybe
they are all the same.  In any case, I have never been able to download
anything useful.  Sometimes, the owner manuals are complete, sometimes
not.  Yet the service manuals are always corrupted.  Either they
download as zero length files, or they are arbitrarily truncated in the
middle of the file.

Has anyone been able to get anything useful?  Is it a game of
"whack-a-mole",  in which Apple active pursues these sites?
0
Not
7/7/2003 5:15:26 PM
In article <usenetOnly-21BCBB.10142307072003@newstest2.earthlink.net>,
 Not Exactly Thrilled <usenetOnly@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
>
> > You can find a service manual for this Mac at
> > <http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html>.  It will include
> > disassembly/replacement instructions, with pictures.
>
> I have seem web sites that appeared very similar to the above.  Maybe
> they are all the same.  In any case, I have never been able to download
> anything useful.  Sometimes, the owner manuals are complete, sometimes
> not.  Yet the service manuals are always corrupted.  Either they
> download as zero length files, or they are arbitrarily truncated in the
> middle of the file.
>
> Has anyone been able to get anything useful?  Is it a game of
> "whack-a-mole",  in which Apple active pursues these sites?

Apple seems to shut them down.  As of last night I was able to get a
manual from the above-mentioned site, though.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 1.4:  Best cleanup yet, gets files other tools miss.
See http://www.atomicbird.com/
0
Tom
7/7/2003 5:24:46 PM
In article <tph-378D69.11244607072003@localhost>,
 Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> In article <usenetOnly-21BCBB.10142307072003@newstest2.earthlink.net>,
>  Not Exactly Thrilled <usenetOnly@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
> >
> > > You can find a service manual for this Mac at
> > > <http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html>.  It will include
> > > disassembly/replacement instructions, with pictures.
> >
> > I have seem web sites that appeared very similar to the above.  Maybe
> > they are all the same.  In any case, I have never been able to download
> > anything useful.  Sometimes, the owner manuals are complete, sometimes
> > not.  Yet the service manuals are always corrupted.  Either they
> > download as zero length files, or they are arbitrarily truncated in the
> > middle of the file.
> >
> > Has anyone been able to get anything useful?  Is it a game of
> > "whack-a-mole",  in which Apple active pursues these sites?
>
> Apple seems to shut them down.  As of last night I was able to get a
> manual from the above-mentioned site, though.

There is also a tutorial with pictures of this hard drive replacement
process at xlryourmac.com. It's easy to follow. The best way to do the
software clone is to first put the new disk in an external firewire
case, clone the old one using Carbon Copy Cloner (versiontracker.com)
and then install the new drive internally, keeping the old one as a
spare/backup in the ext. FW case. I've done this several times and it's
straightforward.

Charles
7/7/2003 6:21:47 PM
Not Exactly Thrilled <usenetOnly@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Inospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > for os9 and earlier, to copy a drive simply drag everything to the new
> > drive. doesn't get any simpler than that. there is no need for special
> > cloning software.
>
> I'm confused.  How do you get both drives connected to a PB at the same
> time?  Can the new drive be temporarily mounted in a firewire enclosure?

yes

of course it has to be one that takes notebook 2.5 drives

--
flavio matani
guitar tuition and performing