Ibook G4, 14'1: the right speaker is louder than the left one

Hello,
my Ibook G4 14'1 (late 2005) (MAC OS X.4) has one of the loudspeaker louder
than the other.
The slider of the balance in the Panel "sound" is in the middle.

What can I do to understand and solve this problem?
The little Elfe
0
The
5/5/2009 9:19:43 PM
comp.sys.mac.portables 3106 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

The little Elfe <email@nospam.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> my Ibook G4 14'1 (late 2005) (MAC OS X.4) has one of the loudspeaker louder
> than the other.
> The slider of the balance in the Panel "sound" is in the middle.
>
> What can I do to understand and solve this problem?
> The little Elfe

Could be a very expensive logic board problem dealing with the sound
section power transisters.  Do you have the same problem with
headphones?  Can you balance the sound by moving the slider to the weak
side?  How far do you have to go if yes?  Would the total volume then be
acceptable?
--
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
0

I can balance to the weaker side and it increase a bit. I have to go
quite at the end of the balance to hear the difference. When the slider
is in the middle, I hear normally but the volume is coming from the right
at 95%.
Concerning the headphones: What if I hear only from a side and What does
it mean if I hear sound from both left & right side ?

Thanks for your explanation,
The little Elfe

paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote in

> The little Elfe <email@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> my Ibook G4 14'1 (late 2005) (MAC OS X.4) has one of the loudspeaker
>> louder than the other.
>> The slider of the balance in the Panel "sound" is in the middle.
>>
>> What can I do to understand and solve this problem?
>> The little Elfe
>
> Could be a very expensive logic board problem dealing with the sound
> section power transisters.  Do you have the same problem with
> headphones?  Can you balance the sound by moving the slider to the
> weak side?  How far do you have to go if yes?  Would the total volume
> then be acceptable?
0
The
5/14/2009 10:08:07 PM
The little Elfe <email@nospam.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> thanks for your help.
>
> I can balance to the weaker side and it increase a bit. I have to go
> quite at the end of the balance to hear the difference. When the slider
> is in the middle, I hear normally but the volume is coming from the right
> at 95%.
> Concerning the headphones: What if I hear only from a side and What does
> it mean if I hear sound from both left & right side ?
>
> Thanks for your explanation,
> The little Elfe
>
> paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote in
>
> > The little Elfe <email@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> my Ibook G4 14'1 (late 2005) (MAC OS X.4) has one of the loudspeaker
> >> louder than the other.
> >> The slider of the balance in the Panel "sound" is in the middle.
> >>
> >> What can I do to understand and solve this problem?
> >> The little Elfe
> >
> > Could be a very expensive logic board problem dealing with the sound
> > section power transisters.  Do you have the same problem with
> > headphones?  Can you balance the sound by moving the slider to the
> > weak side?  How far do you have to go if yes?  Would the total volume
> > then be acceptable?

Sorry for the late follow-up.  If headphones are balanced in volume, it
would mean that one of the speakers has failed.  If the problem with the
speakers is duplicated in the headphones, it would indicate that the
problem is in the sound card portion of the logic board.
--
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
0
paulfuchs
5/28/2009 7:11:36 PM
Paul Fuchs <paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink> wrote:

> The little Elfe <email@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > thanks for your help.
> >
> > I can balance to the weaker side and it increase a bit. I have to go
> > quite at the end of the balance to hear the difference. When the slider
> > is in the middle, I hear normally but the volume is coming from the right
> > at 95%.
> > Concerning the headphones: What if I hear only from a side and What does
> > it mean if I hear sound from both left & right side ?
> >
> > Thanks for your explanation,
> > The little Elfe
> >
> > paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote in

> > > Could be a very expensive logic board problem dealing with the sound
> > > section power transisters.  Do you have the same problem with
> > > headphones?  Can you balance the sound by moving the slider to the
> > > weak side?  How far do you have to go if yes?  Would the total volume
> > > then be acceptable?
>
> Sorry for the late follow-up.  If headphones are balanced in volume, it
> would mean that one of the speakers has failed.  If the problem with the
> speakers is duplicated in the headphones, it would indicate that the
> problem is in the sound card portion of the logic board.

I've only just seen this thread, and this might only apply to 10.5....

In System Preferences > Sound > Input Try deselecting 'Use ambient noise
reduction'

or

Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.app , properties for 'Built-in Output'
should have the same Value/Levels for channels 1 and 2.

Simon.

0
devnull
5/28/2009 8:47:36 PM
In article <1j0g45e.1k4301svvulfoN%devnull@higgs.me.uk.invalid>,
 devnull@higgs.me.uk.invalid (Simon Higgs) wrote:

> In System Preferences > Sound > Input Try deselecting 'Use ambient noise
> reduction'

I see no such option. What hardware are you using?

JR
0
Jolly