Installed new hard drive, OS X installer doesn't see hard drive when selecting "destination".

....but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't
show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where
you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be
initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would
come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I
see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that
the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the
new drive.
Thanks!
Jim
G4 PowerBook
0
Jim
6/15/2007 1:04:52 AM
comp.sys.mac.portables 3106 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

in article 4671E5AF.F1447950@newsgroup.net, Jim Ramus at
nospamaddress@newsgroup.net wrote on 15/6/07 11:04 AM:

> ...but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't
>
> show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where
> you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be
> initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would
> come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I
> see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that
> the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the
> new drive.
> Thanks!
> Jim
> G4 PowerBook
Jim

Google is your friend (try "install OSX new hard drive")

Anyway - in disk utility erase the new hard drive and format it using OSX
extended (Journaled) - partition at this stage if you wish too (I have a
data partition plus a main partition  - makes backup really easy).

Now your installer will now see it.

Nigel
Down Under

0
Nigel
6/15/2007 2:02:19 AM
Thanks Nigel. Actually, Google is where I always start, with a very
similar group of words as yours, but I ended up on one of those wild
goose (or google) chases with no really good answers, so came here. Now
I am having a new problem which I am putting in a different post.

Nigel wrote:

> in article 4671E5AF.F1447950@newsgroup.net, Jim Ramus at
> nospamaddress@newsgroup.net wrote on 15/6/07 11:04 AM:
>
> > ...but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't
> >
> > show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where
> > you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be
> > initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would
> > come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I
> > see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that
> > the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the
> > new drive.
> > Thanks!
> > Jim
> > G4 PowerBook
> Jim
>
> Google is your friend (try "install OSX new hard drive")
>
> Anyway - in disk utility erase the new hard drive and format it using OSX
> extended (Journaled) - partition at this stage if you wish too (I have a
> data partition plus a main partition  - makes backup really easy).
>
> Now your installer will now see it.
>
> Nigel
> Down Under
0
Jim
6/15/2007 4:19:43 AM
Jim Ramus <nospamaddress@newsgroup.net> wrote:
> ...but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't
> show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where
> you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be
> initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would
> come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I
> see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that
> the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the
> new drive.
> Thanks!
> Jim
> G4 PowerBook

Maybe you need to iitialize it first properly for a Mac; use the Disk Utility
for that. /PaulN
0
Paul
6/15/2007 1:47:59 PM
Thanks but this was resolved in a post after this, it is initialized or
formatted now. My new problem is getting the software to install on the
hard drive now. Please reply on the other thread "Installer won't
install OS X on new hard drive" if you have any tips on that. Thank you.

Paul Nevai wrote:

> Jim Ramus <nospamaddress@newsgroup.net> wrote:
> > ...but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't
> > show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where
> > you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be
> > initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would
> > come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I
> > see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that
> > the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the
> > new drive.
> > Thanks!
> > Jim
> > G4 PowerBook
>
> Maybe you need to iitialize it first properly for a Mac; use the Disk Utility
> for that. /PaulN
0
Jim