PowerBook G4: 1.67 GHz/512 MB or 1.50 GHz/1 GB???

For basically the same expenditure, which PowerBook G4 15" SuperDrive
configuration will provide the best performance, a 1.67 GHz w/ standard
512 MB RAM or a 1.50 GHz upgraded to 1 GB RAM?  If you had to decide,
if the best-of-both-worlds 1.67 GHz plus 1 GB RAM config were not an
option, which would you choose and why?

Thanks...

Andrew
--
Andrew Shepherd
cinema@ku.edu

0
Andrew
6/8/2005 10:34:42 PM
comp.sys.mac.portables 3106 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Andrew J Shepherd wrote:

> For basically the same expenditure, which PowerBook G4 15" SuperDrive
> configuration will provide the best performance, a 1.67 GHz w/ standard
> 512 MB RAM or a 1.50 GHz upgraded to 1 GB RAM?  If you had to decide,
> if the best-of-both-worlds 1.67 GHz plus 1 GB RAM config were not an
> option, which would you choose and why?

Definitely the 1.67 because you can add more RAM to it at any time but
you can never change the processor, and you can buy 1GB RAM sticks on
ebay quite cheaply.

--

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com
0

0
dumbstruck
6/8/2005 11:46:21 PM
Entity dumbstruck spoke thus:

> Isn't the 1.67 a kind of flag that it comes with the 2 finger scroll
> trackpad, the greatest innovation since indoor plumbing?

I'm finding the automagically adjusting screen brightness to be more
groovyer than the 2 finger scroll feature. Plus the backlit keyboard.

Regarding the OP's question, if you re stuck with 512 forever, the slower
model will run much better on 1GB. But the 512 modules are getting so cheap
you can upgrade to 1 GB anytime soon, but 1.5 GB will be ideal.

-- Gnarlie

0
Gnarlodious
6/9/2005 12:36:28 AM
On 2005-06-08, Andrew J Shepherd <cinema@ku.edu> wrote:
> For basically the same expenditure, which PowerBook G4 15" SuperDrive
> configuration will provide the best performance, a 1.67 GHz w/ standard
> 512 MB RAM or a 1.50 GHz upgraded to 1 GB RAM?  If you had to decide,
> if the best-of-both-worlds 1.67 GHz plus 1 GB RAM config were not an
> option, which would you choose and why?

There is not that big a difference between the 1.67 and the 1.5 GHz cpu.
You'll notice, though, a much larger difference between 512MB RAM and 1
GB RAM.

One good reason to go with the 1.67 is if you need to write DVD's
wherever you are, and don't want to lug an extra unit around to do that.
If you write a DVD now and then, you'll get a faster firewire DVD writer
than what's included in the 1.67 model.

0
Stig
6/9/2005 1:43:04 PM
On 2005-06-09, Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Entity dumbstruck spoke thus:
>
>> Isn't the 1.67 a kind of flag that it comes with the 2 finger scroll
>> trackpad, the greatest innovation since indoor plumbing?
>
> I'm finding the automagically adjusting screen brightness to be more
> groovyer than the 2 finger scroll feature. Plus the backlit keyboard.

....and both the 1.67 and the 1.5 model have both those features.

0
Stig
6/9/2005 1:43:46 PM
You will NEVER notice the performance difference between 1.5 & 1.67
GHz.  If all else is really equal, more RAM is much more important than
a 0.17 GHz CPU speed bump.

Be aware however, that sometimes Apple changes some other internal
hardware, such as a faster bus or upgraded video, when they introduce a
bump in CPU speed.

0
breyfogle
6/9/2005 1:46:41 PM
dumbstruck wrote:
> Isn't the 1.67 a kind of flag that it comes with the 2 finger scroll
> trackpad, the greatest innovation since indoor plumbing?

Trackpad scrolling is the best thing since sliced bread.  I just got
my Powerbook about a month ago, and hands-down the best "new" feature
is the trackpad scrolling.  A buddy of mine has an older PB without
the trackpad scrolling, and I can hardly use it.  Amazing how quickly
it just became such a natural motion to me...

Both 15" and the 17" powerbooks have the scrolling, by the way (I got
the lower-end 15" PB).
0
Michael
6/9/2005 2:32:41 PM
"Michael J. Sherman" wrote:

> dumbstruck wrote:
> > Isn't the 1.67 a kind of flag that it comes with the 2 finger scroll
> > trackpad, the greatest innovation since indoor plumbing?
> >

> Trackpad scrolling is the best thing since sliced bread.  I just got
> my Powerbook about a month ago, and hands-down the best "new" feature
> is the trackpad scrolling.  A buddy of mine has an older PB without
> the trackpad scrolling, and I can hardly use it.  Amazing how quickly
> it just became such a natural motion to me...
>
> Both 15" and the 17" powerbooks have the scrolling, by the way (I got
> the lower-end 15" PB).

iScroll2 is good for later powerbooks without built in scrolling:

http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/

--

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com
0
Tom
6/9/2005 3:56:35 PM
> iScroll2 is good for later powerbooks without built in scrolling:

iScr may be fine, but I tried a couple 2finger scroll software
simulators on a 1.5 and had problems of jerkyness etc.  So not
guaranteed that you can get the smooth, luxurious, nobrainer response
without the physical trackpad change that came with 1.67.

0
dumbstruck
6/9/2005 5:32:34 PM
dumbstruck <dumbstruc@gmail.com> wrote:

> > iScroll2 is good for later powerbooks without built in scrolling:
>
> iScr may be fine, but I tried a couple 2finger scroll software
> simulators on a 1.5 and had problems of jerkyness etc.  So not
> guaranteed that you can get the smooth, luxurious, nobrainer response
> without the physical trackpad change that came with 1.67.

I would have to try a new powerbook to compare, but I downloaded
iScroll2 after reading about it here (thanks!) and it seems very
effective to me.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
this_address_is_for_