Still can't upgrade Lombard's HD, get "no entry"

Recap:

Lombard machine, works fine but 4GB HD is too small.

I have two HD's from dead laptops, one a 8GB, the other 40GB. I have
tried this process with both:

Install drive
Boot from 10.3.x CD
Wipe drive (zero it) and format with Extended
Install 10.3.x

.... everything works fine for a while. Then we get the "no entry" sign
and it will no longer boot.

Problems that aren't:

RAM is fine (otherwise it wouldn't work already, right?)
drives are fine (both were working fine in the other laptop)

Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on?

Maury

0
Maury
1/3/2006 9:07:59 PM
comp.sys.mac.portables 3106 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <1136322479.818605.238990@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Maury Markowitz" <maury_markowitz@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Recap:
>
> Lombard machine, works fine but 4GB HD is too small.
>
> I have two HD's from dead laptops, one a 8GB, the other 40GB. I have
> tried this process with both:
>
> Install drive
> Boot from 10.3.x CD
> Wipe drive (zero it) and format with Extended
> Install 10.3.x
>
> ... everything works fine for a while. Then we get the "no entry" sign
> and it will no longer boot.
>
> Problems that aren't:
>
> RAM is fine (otherwise it wouldn't work already, right?)
> drives are fine (both were working fine in the other laptop)
>

> Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on?
>
> Maury

The lombard is an "old world" Mac. OS X installs on this machine must
live in the first 8GB of HD space, and may require the use of an
aftermarket installer.

The "first 8GB" issue is well-documented and easily solved. Some people
create the first partition a bit smaller than 8GB to ensure proper
placement.

The installer is XpostFacto. HTH

An advanced google-groups search retrieved:

--
Later,
John

johajohn@indianahoosiers.edu

'indiana' is a 'nolnn' and 'hoosier' is a 'solkk'. Indiana doesn't solkk.
0
John
1/3/2006 9:25:45 PM
In article <null-352E5C.16254003012006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
 John Johnson <null@invalid.com> wrote:

> In article <1136322479.818605.238990@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Maury Markowitz" <maury_markowitz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Recap:
> >
> > Lombard machine, works fine but 4GB HD is too small.
> >
> > I have two HD's from dead laptops, one a 8GB, the other 40GB. I have
> > tried this process with both:
> >
> > Install drive
> > Boot from 10.3.x CD
> > Wipe drive (zero it) and format with Extended
> > Install 10.3.x
> >
> > ... everything works fine for a while. Then we get the "no entry" sign
> > and it will no longer boot.
> >
> > Problems that aren't:
> >
> > RAM is fine (otherwise it wouldn't work already, right?)
> > drives are fine (both were working fine in the other laptop)
> >

> > Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on?
> >
> > Maury
>
> The lombard is an "old world" Mac. OS X installs on this machine must
> live in the first 8GB of HD space, and may require the use of an
> aftermarket installer.

Check that, I believe that the WallStreet was the final machine to
require OS X live in the first 8GB. Sorry about the mistake, but it's
been a while since I've looked at this stuff.

As for your attempt to install OS X 10.3, here's a snippet from
lowendmac.com:

> The WallStreet G3 is not officially supported under OSX 10.3 (Panther), but it
> does work with 10.2.8 and earlier. Panther can be installed using XPostFacto
> 3.1.
> WallStreet and Lombard are not officially supported under OSX 10.4 (Tiger),
> which "requires" a built-in FireWire port, 256 MB of RAM, and 3GB of
> available hard drive space. Ryan Rempel has XPostFacto 4 for Tiger that
> supports WallStreet and Lombard. Note that 10.4 normally ships on DVD-ROM, so
> you will need a DVD-capable drive or have to exchange your DVD for a CD
> install set.

I imagine that using XpostFacto will solve your problems. Let us know
how you do.

--
Later,
John

johajohn@indianahoosiers.edu

'indiana' is a 'nolnn' and 'hoosier' is a 'solkk'. Indiana doesn't solkk.
0
John
1/3/2006 9:34:41 PM
In article <1136322479.818605.238990@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Maury Markowitz" <maury_markowitz@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Recap:
>
> Lombard machine, works fine but 4GB HD is too small.
>
> I have two HD's from dead laptops, one a 8GB, the other 40GB. I have
> tried this process with both:
>
> Install drive
> Boot from 10.3.x CD
> Wipe drive (zero it) and format with Extended
> Install 10.3.x
>
> ... everything works fine for a while. Then we get the "no entry" sign
> and it will no longer boot.
>
> Problems that aren't:
>
> RAM is fine (otherwise it wouldn't work already, right?)
> drives are fine (both were working fine in the other laptop)
>

> Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on?
>
> Maury

Could be the driver. Try formatting it with OS 9 first and maybe install
9 on the 2nd partition.

While we're at it. Has anyone used 3rd party driver software which can
be password protected, on a lombard with 2 partitions, 10.3 /OS 9 ?
0
deepMacsonar