Brother laser grabs too many sheets

Sometimes as many as 3 blank sheets join printed page into the output tray.
(By "join" I mean that they exit all at once, stacked together.)

Admittedly it (HL-5170DN) is old, but usually the pickup rollers fail by not
picking up *any* paper.

What's the failure mechanism by which an aging printer picks up too many
pieces of paper?

The paper stock is not thin or glossy. It's "copy paper", 20 pound bond, not
recycled.

Thanks.

0
DaveC
12/22/2011 5:39:20 AM
comp.sys.mac.printing 1394 articles. 0 followers. littlesister (1) is leader. Post Follow

In article
<0001HW.CB18028800C2FB32B01029BF@news.eternal-september.org>,
 DaveC <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

> Sometimes as many as 3 blank sheets join printed page into the output tray.
> (By "join" I mean that they exit all at once, stacked together.)
>
> Admittedly it (HL-5170DN) is old, but usually the pickup rollers fail by not
> picking up *any* paper.
>
> What's the failure mechanism by which an aging printer picks up too many
> pieces of paper?
>
> The paper stock is not thin or glossy. It's "copy paper", 20 pound bond, not
> recycled.
>
> Thanks.

Each sheet's loose fibers can tangle with neighboring sheets during
shipping.  Bend, roll, or twist the stack of paper back and forth to
break them up before loading.
Kevin
12/22/2011 6:51:27 AM
> Each sheet's loose fibers can tangle with neighboring sheets during
> shipping.  Bend, roll, or twist the stack of paper back and forth to
> break them up before loading.

It always helps to start with the basics...

Thanks, Kevin.

Happy Holidays,
Dave

0