compatible laser cartridges?

I have a Brother all-in-one MFC-7360N that finally needs a new toner
cartridge.  Looks like Amazon has one from INK4WORK for $14.68. Does
using the real thing matter or will any old compatible cartridge do?
comp.sys.mac.printing 1394 articles. 0 followers. littlesister (1) is leader. Post Follow

In article <l3hiiu$gef$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw
<nouser@invalid.com> wrote:

> I have a Brother all-in-one MFC-7360N that finally needs a new toner
> cartridge.  Looks like Amazon has one from INK4WORK for $14.68. Does
> using the real thing matter or will any old compatible cartridge do?

I would never use a "compatible" nor a "refilled" cartridge in ANY
printer, unless forced to by real cartridges no longer being sold.

One place I worked for a few years ago decided to use "compatible"
toner cartridges on an HP laser printer to save money, and the quality
of the print was horrible.

I was forced to use "compatible" ink cartridges in my old Epson inkjet,
and I'm certain they were partly responsible for hastening it's death
due to permantly blocking the nozzles.
0
Your
10/14/2013 8:45:25 PM
On 10/14/13 4:45 PM, Your Name wrote:
> In article <l3hiiu$gef$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw
> <nouser@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a Brother all-in-one MFC-7360N that finally needs a new toner
>> cartridge.  Looks like Amazon has one from INK4WORK for $14.68. Does
>> using the real thing matter or will any old compatible cartridge do?
>
> I would never use a "compatible" nor a "refilled" cartridge in ANY
> printer, unless forced to by real cartridges no longer being sold.
>
> One place I worked for a few years ago decided to use "compatible"
> toner cartridges on an HP laser printer to save money, and the quality
> of the print was horrible.
>
> I was forced to use "compatible" ink cartridges in my old Epson inkjet,
> and I'm certain they were partly responsible for hastening it's death
> due to permantly blocking the nozzles.

Thanks for the input.  Guess I'll spring for the extra $20.  I don't
print too much so over the long haul it's probably not worth it to go
with el mondo cheapo.
In article <l3hm96$8s1$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw
<nouser@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 10/14/13 4:45 PM, Your Name wrote:
> > In article <l3hiiu$gef$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw
> > <nouser@invalid.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a Brother all-in-one MFC-7360N that finally needs a new toner
> >> cartridge.  Looks like Amazon has one from INK4WORK for $14.68. Does
> >> using the real thing matter or will any old compatible cartridge do?
> >
> > I would never use a "compatible" nor a "refilled" cartridge in ANY
> > printer, unless forced to by real cartridges no longer being sold.
> >
> > One place I worked for a few years ago decided to use "compatible"
> > toner cartridges on an HP laser printer to save money, and the quality
> > of the print was horrible.
> >
> > I was forced to use "compatible" ink cartridges in my old Epson inkjet,
> > and I'm certain they were partly responsible for hastening it's death
> > due to permantly blocking the nozzles.
>
> Thanks for the input.  Guess I'll spring for the extra $20.  I don't
> print too much so over the long haul it's probably not worth it to go
> with el mondo cheapo.

That is of course my experience. There are other people who happily use
compatible cartridges with "no problems".

I don't know about where you are, but here in New Zealand Brother
currently give a free extended warranty period if you use proper
cartridges.

BTW, at a price of $14.68, I'm guessing that's not a toner cartridge,
but an ink cartridge for an inkjet printer. Toner cartridges (used in
laser printers) cost a LOT more than that.
0
Your
10/15/2013 5:54:48 AM
On 10/15/13 1:54 AM, Your Name wrote:
> In article <l3hm96$8s1$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw
> <nouser@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/14/13 4:45 PM, Your Name wrote:

>>> I would never use a "compatible" nor a "refilled" cartridge in ANY
>>> printer, unless forced to by real cartridges no longer being sold.
>>>
>>> One place I worked for a few years ago decided to use "compatible"
>>> toner cartridges on an HP laser printer to save money, and the quality
>>> of the print was horrible.
>>>
>>> I was forced to use "compatible" ink cartridges in my old Epson inkjet,
>>> and I'm certain they were partly responsible for hastening it's death
>>> due to permantly blocking the nozzles.
>>
>> Thanks for the input.  Guess I'll spring for the extra $20.  I don't
>> print too much so over the long haul it's probably not worth it to go
>> with el mondo cheapo.
>
> That is of course my experience. There are other people who happily use
> compatible cartridges with "no problems".
>
> I don't know about where you are, but here in New Zealand Brother
> currently give a free extended warranty period if you use proper
> cartridges.
>
> BTW, at a price of $14.68, I'm guessing that's not a toner cartridge,
> but an ink cartridge for an inkjet printer. Toner cartridges (used in
> laser printers) cost a LOT more than that.

I checked the Brother site at

<http://www.brother-usa.com/supplies/accessorylist.aspx?Model=MFC7360N#.Ulz4zRYdu2w>

to come up with the part number.  Don't know what the high yield toner
means but a search on amazon for tn420 came up with a USD 12.19
compatible at

<http://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Brother-TN450-Cartridge-2270DW/dp/B0062ZNYFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381824772&sr=8-1&keywords=t420+toner+cartridge>

I'm in New York City.
In article <l3iu9t$k74$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw
<nouser@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 10/15/13 1:54 AM, Your Name wrote:
> > In article <l3hm96$8s1$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw
> > <nouser@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the input.  Guess I'll spring for the extra $20.  I don't
> >> print too much so over the long haul it's probably not worth it to go
> >> with el mondo cheapo.
> >
> > That is of course my experience. There are other people who happily use
> > compatible cartridges with "no problems".
> >
> > I don't know about where you are, but here in New Zealand Brother
> > currently give a free extended warranty period if you use proper
> > cartridges.
> >
> > BTW, at a price of $14.68, I'm guessing that's not a toner cartridge,
> > but an ink cartridge for an inkjet printer. Toner cartridges (used in
> > laser printers) cost a LOT more than that.
> >
> I checked the Brother site at
>
> <http://www.brother-usa.com/supplies/accessorylist.aspx?Model=MFC7360N#.Ulz4zR
> Ydu2w>
>
> to come up with the part number.  Don't know what the high yield toner
> means but a search on amazon for tn420 came up with a USD 12.19
> compatible at
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Brother-TN450-Cartridge-2270DW/dp/B0062ZNYFK
> /ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381824772&sr=8-1&keywords=t420+toner+cartridge>
>
> I'm in New York City.

The Brother MFC-7360N is certainly a laser printer. That $12 or so
price seems ridiculously cheap, especially when you consider the same
Amazon page give the proper Brother cartridge a price of $46.98, which
would be more what normal toner cartridge prices are.

"High yeild" toner just means it will print more pages, often in
compatible and refilled cartridges this can be because they overfill
the cartridge, but some printer manufacturers do have proper "standard"
and "high yield" cartridges as well, with the stanard one being cheaper
and printing less pages.
0
Your
10/15/2013 8:42:44 PM
<nouser@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 10/15/13 1:54 AM, Your Name wrote:
> > In article <l3hm96$8s1$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw
> > <nouser@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the input.  Guess I'll spring for the extra $20.  I don't
> >> print too much so over the long haul it's probably not worth it to go
> >> with el mondo cheapo.
> >
> > That is of course my experience. There are other people who happily use
> > compatible cartridges with "no problems".
> >
> > I don't know about where you are, but here in New Zealand Brother
> > currently give a free extended warranty period if you use proper
> > cartridges.
> >
> > BTW, at a price of $14.68, I'm guessing that's not a toner cartridge,
> > but an ink cartridge for an inkjet printer. Toner cartridges (used in
> > laser printers) cost a LOT more than that.
> >
> I checked the Brother site at
>

> <http://www.brother-usa.com/supplies/accessorylist.aspx?Model=MFC7360N#.Ulz4zR
> Ydu2w>
>
> to come up with the part number.  Don't know what the high yield toner
> means but a search on amazon for tn420 came up with a USD 12.19
> compatible at
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Brother-TN450-Cartridge-2270DW/dp/B0062ZNYFK
> /ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381824772&sr=8-1&keywords=t420+toner+cartridge>
>
> I'm in New York City.

By coincedence there was a junk flyer in my mailbox last night that had
ink and toner shop advert which included this cartridge.

    Original Brother TN240-BK       NZ$106.89

    InkPost Compatible Cartridge     NZ$80.44

Which seems to suggest that cartridge on Amazon (actually sold by
someone else via Amazon) at nearly one-quarter the price of an original
Brother one seems even more peculiar.

It could be a perfectly fine and legitimate cartridge, but with
something that cheap it screams "too good to be true" and "you get what
you pay for".
0
Your