My G5 won't recognize my HP color laser printer

I have been working for days resetting my network after much trouble.
I now have a win98se computer printing to the HP 3550n printer.  I have
a wireless 4-port router (only using the hard wired ports now) and a
8-port switch.  There is another g5 and another win98se computer, but
I'm leaving them out of this for now.

Right now, I can make the win98se machine print on the 3550n.  It's a
solid connection through the HP print server, the JetDirect en3700.
The IP address has been set manually to 192.168.1.103.  I have tried
setting up a printer within the G5 to this address and it doesn't
connect.  I have tried pinging this accress from within the Mac and I
it fails to respond.

What am I missing here?  Before a change in routers and much upset, all
four computers and the printer worked in harmony for a year.

Thanks, Chris

0
Chris23
2/21/2006 4:51:55 PM
comp.sys.mac.printing 1394 articles. 0 followers. littlesister (1) is leader. Post Follow

I should add- the mac sees the address in the printer setup utility and
creates a printer based around it (jet direct socket), but when I print
sample text from text edit, it shows its printing in the queue, but
doesn't print or complete itself in the queue.

CH

0
Chris23
2/21/2006 5:19:17 PM
Also, this computer can see the printer and print to it when it is
directly connected to the JetDirect Box.  Why doesn't it see it when it
is part of functioning network?  The printer was manually assigned an
out of range static IP address by the WIN98se comp yesterday.  It's
holding.  All other computers are DHCP'd by router.

CH

0
Chris23
2/21/2006 7:12:35 PM
Chris23 <chris@howeproductions.com> wrote:

> I have been working for days resetting my network after much trouble.
> I now have a win98se computer printing to the HP 3550n printer.  I have
> a wireless 4-port router (only using the hard wired ports now) and a
> 8-port switch.  There is another g5 and another win98se computer, but
> I'm leaving them out of this for now.
>
> Right now, I can make the win98se machine print on the 3550n.  It's a
> solid connection through the HP print server, the JetDirect en3700.
> The IP address has been set manually to 192.168.1.103.  I have tried
> setting up a printer within the G5 to this address and it doesn't
> connect.  I have tried pinging this accress from within the Mac and I
> it fails to respond.
>
> What am I missing here?  Before a change in routers and much upset, all
> four computers and the printer worked in harmony for a year.

What OS are you using on the Macs?

It might help if you made your network topology clearer. I assume the
switch is connected to the router. Is anything else? The printer? The
Macs?

0
neillmassello

I have a cable modem feeding a WGT624 4-port router.  I have an
ethernet cable connected from router to switch.  Some computer
connections are attached to router.  The rest of the (4) computers and
the print server are attached to the switch.   I have a 2Ghz dual G5
running tiger and a 1.6 single G5 running panther.  And two win98se
computers.  I slaved for some days to give the print server a static
address of 192.168.1.103 which I had manually converted from a default
address 192.0.0.192  using telnet.  All other computers are DHCP
192.168.0.2 thru 5.

If I connect each computer (Mac anyway) to print server, I get a
successful connection and print job.  Is the router in such a way that
it is blocking printer address?  There is a print serer (JD) web server
accessible from primary WIN98se machine, none of the others.

Thanks!
Chris

0
Chris23
2/21/2006 9:12:07 PM
I changed the address to 192.168.0.23 on a hunch and it works!
Everything works.  Go figure.  If I had known how the outcome would be
(right address = simplicity), this whole thing would have been so much
quicker.  Not understanding any of this much at all makes it an endless
maze.

Thanks!
Chris

0