Need help getting HP 6MP to work with HP JetDirect+ & router

I have a G4 running System 9 most of the time, though it can run OS X. I
installed a JetDirect+ to hook up my HP 6MP laser printer via parallel
cable to the JetDirect+. The ethernet port from the JetDirect+ goes into
my SMC Barricade router which feeds my DSL modem output into the G4 as
well. This should all be simple and correct.

I can't get the HP 6MP to show up in the chooser. Nor does it show up
when using HP LaserJet Utility 3.1.1. I ran a self-test on the JetDirect
and the 6MP printed two pages of data that seems to indicate everything
is running fine as far as the printer itself and the JetDirect+ are
concerned.

Apple System Profiler does not seem to notice my router as it says under
the AppleTalk section the following: "Router <not available>". My DSL
works fine through the router which I recently bought new.

Would someone walk me through the software/hardware/system setups I need
to address or adjust to make this setup work please? Do I need to
somehow setup an IP address for the printer or JetDirect in TCP/IP or
elsewhere? I've never really had a server or network setup before, so am
not familiar with what might be necessary to use the HP on a network
setup like this. I was told that the JetDirect-SMC router combo is smart
enough to find and setup the IP address automatically, but who knows. I
can't find any way to even seem to access anything relating to the
printer or JetDirect. Right now I connect via Ethernet using DHCP Server.

Another question: HP LaserJet driver or LaserWriter 8 driver? Does it
matter? I have both on hand, using LaserWriter 8 presently, not that
anything shows my laser printer as existing in my system setup or in the
chooser. Previously, in System 8, I used the HP driver fine.

I could use help with this ASAP, so anyone who can help me out soonest
with this would be most appreciated.

Thanks folks, and Happy New Year.

Doug
Kirkland, WA
0
DigitalXS
1/2/2005 7:19:50 AM
comp.sys.mac.printing 1394 articles. 0 followers. littlesister (1) is leader. Post Follow

In article <spamshredder-F36BB3.23195301012005@news.gte.net>,
 DigitalXS <spamshredder@verizon.net> wrote:

>I have a G4 running System 9 most of the time, though it can run OS X. I
>installed a JetDirect+ to hook up my HP 6MP laser printer via parallel
>cable to the JetDirect+. The ethernet port from the JetDirect+ goes into
>my SMC Barricade router which feeds my DSL modem output into the G4 as
>well. This should all be simple and correct.
>
>I can't get the HP 6MP to show up in the chooser. Nor does it show up
>when using HP LaserJet Utility 3.1.1. I ran a self-test on the JetDirect
>and the 6MP printed two pages of data that seems to indicate everything
>is running fine as far as the printer itself and the JetDirect+ are
>concerned.
>
>Apple System Profiler does not seem to notice my router as it says under
>the AppleTalk section the following: "Router <not available>". My DSL
>works fine through the router which I recently bought new.
>
>Would someone walk me through the software/hardware/system setups I need
>to address or adjust to make this setup work please? Do I need to
>somehow setup an IP address for the printer or JetDirect in TCP/IP or
>elsewhere? I've never really had a server or network setup before, so am
>not familiar with what might be necessary to use the HP on a network
>setup like this. I was told that the JetDirect-SMC router combo is smart
>enough to find and setup the IP address automatically, but who knows. I
>can't find any way to even seem to access anything relating to the
>printer or JetDirect. Right now I connect via Ethernet using DHCP Server.
>

>Another question: HP LaserJet driver or LaserWriter 8 driver? Does it
>matter? I have both on hand, using LaserWriter 8 presently, not that
>anything shows my laser printer as existing in my system setup or in the
>chooser. Previously, in System 8, I used the HP driver fine.
>
>I could use help with this ASAP, so anyone who can help me out soonest
>with this would be most appreciated.
>
>Thanks folks, and Happy New Year.
>
>Doug
>Kirkland, WA

Your router should tell you the IP of the JetDirect.

Under OS 9, use Desktop Printer Utility. The help files will guide you.

Under OS X, Printer Setup Utility, choose New, then under the pull down
find IP Printing, the under Printer Type choose LPD/LPR. Under Printer
Model, if you don't find your printer under HP, then choose Other and
navigate to your OS 9 PPD file for your printer.

--
Ron Parsons
0
DigitalXS <spamshredder@verizon.net> wrote:

> I have a G4 running System 9 most of the time, though it can run OS X. I
> installed a JetDirect+ to hook up my HP 6MP laser printer via parallel
> cable to the JetDirect+...
>
> I can't get the HP 6MP to show up in the chooser.

Open the Desktop Printer utility and install a new printer.

> Apple System Profiler does not seem to notice my router as it says under
> the AppleTalk section the following: "Router <not available>".

You _either_ use AppleTalk protocol over the Ethernet connection - be
sure that AppleTalk is set accordingly in the control panel and all
devices beeen the computer and the printer can handle AppleTalk
protocol. _Or_ you can use TCP/IP (aka "LPR") printing.

> Another question: HP LaserJet driver or LaserWriter 8 driver?

I use Adobe's PS Printer, Version 8.8.0. But there is probably not much
difference between this and Apple's version, or HP's. Just make sure the
printer driver is okay for OS 9 (I don't know how old HP's driver is).

Christian

--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe f�r Strassenkinder in Ghana: <http://www.chance-for-children.org>

Thanks for responding to my queries. Unfortunately, I am still having no
luck at all getting the HP 6MP to show up with Desktop Printer Utility
or my HP LaserJet Utility (or anything else). I need more specific
information walking through details to find out what specifically is not
reading correctly maybe?

In article <jrp59-9D246D.06091802012005@news.verizon.net>,
 Ron  Parsons <jrp59@gte.net> wrote:

> Your router should tell you the IP of the JetDirect.

Please elaborate. All networking stuff is new to me...there is no
software for the router and the Apple System Profiler does not even see
the router. However, the JetDirect itself does a test printout on my HP
6MP which gives me the IP of the JetDirect. Where exactly would I
enter/use that IP address? This means that the JetDirect and the
parallel cable from it to the 6MP appear to be operating fine. I wonder
if there is a problem with the ethernet cable from the router to the
JetDirect or a problem with the router. Is it possible a router wouldn't
be "compatible" with the Mac OS? I was told no.

> Under OS 9, use Desktop Printer Utility. The help files will guide you.

Following the directions doesn't help. The 6MP does not show up no
matter what I try or tweak that I have been able to think of so far.

In article <1gpru01.yfcmt7ry3x1iN@christian.rumantsch.ch>,
 christian041213@rumantsch.ch (Christian) wrote:

> Open the Desktop Printer utility and install a new printer.

Care to walk me through the steps that normally would achieve this with
my setup?

> You _either_ use AppleTalk protocol over the Ethernet connection - be
> sure that AppleTalk is set accordingly in the control panel and all
> devices beeen the computer and the printer can handle AppleTalk
> protocol. _Or_ you can use TCP/IP (aka "LPR") printing.

I have tried both setups with the Desktop Printer Utility and neither
gives me the 6MP as an option showing up. My USB connected DeskJet does
show up fine. I'm quite at a loss not being very familiar with the
details of printers and networks. I have DSL using my internal ethernet.
AppleTalk says "Connect via: Ethernet". Is is possible the router can't
use AppleTalk? If not, what are my options?

If I use TCP/IP (LPR), what does this do to my DSL connection and
router? Right now my TCP/IP control panel says "Connect via: Ethernet"
and "Configure using: DHCP Server". I don't know how else it can work.

I apologize for not being very knowledgeable about some of these things
which probably seem simple and obvious to many here. I came here because
I need help from people who hopefully have the know-how to help me
figure this out without too much difficulty or bother. I'm still
crossing my fingers...any further details or ideas what might be the
problem here? How can we narrow it down to the faulty link or bad
setting?

Thanks,

Doug
0
DigitalXS
1/6/2005 5:30:43 AM
<< If I use TCP/IP (LPR), what does this do to my DSL connection and
router? Right now my TCP/IP control panel says "Connect via: Ethernet"
and "Configure using: DHCP Server". I don't know how else it can work. >>

Doug-

I missed your initial posting.  From what you say here, it appears that your
router does not pass AppleTalk packets between ports, or the JetDirect does not
have AppleTalk turned on.  The page you printed with the JetDirect IP address
may show the status of its AppleTalk as well.

Try this:  enter the JetDirect IP address as a URL in your browser, as
http://192.168.1.99/, using the correct address of course.  This should provide
access to the JetDirect's internal web page.  If AppleTalk happens to be turned
off, you can turn it on here.

Without AppleTalk, you will need to use TCP/IP (LPR) printing.  It should work
through the router with no problem, but I doubt it would be accessible from the
outside world.  Apple's Desktop Printer Utility is the place to set that up.
Once you select the Printer (LPR) option, you specify the Postscript Printer
Description (PPD) file to be used, and enter the IP address as the LPR Printer
Selection.  Leave the Queue blank.  The PPD files should be in the Printer
Descriptions folder in your System Extensions folder.  If the right one does
not appear, it may be available on a disk that came with the printer, or you
can download it from HP.

Fred

0
fmmck
1/6/2005 4:02:03 PM
In article <20050106110203.00325.00002667@mb-m17.aol.com>,
 fmmck@aol.communicate (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

> I missed your initial posting.  From what you say here, it appears that your
> router does not pass AppleTalk packets between ports, or the JetDirect does
> not
> have AppleTalk turned on.  The page you printed with the JetDirect IP address
> may show the status of its AppleTalk as well.
>
> Try this:  enter the JetDirect IP address as a URL in your browser, as
> http://192.168.1.99/, using the correct address of course.  This should
> provide
> access to the JetDirect's internal web page.  If AppleTalk happens to be
> turned
> off, you can turn it on here.
>
> Without AppleTalk, you will need to use TCP/IP (LPR) printing.  It should
> work
> through the router with no problem, but I doubt it would be accessible from
> the
> outside world.  Apple's Desktop Printer Utility is the place to set that up.
> Once you select the Printer (LPR) option, you specify the Postscript Printer
> Description (PPD) file to be used, and enter the IP address as the LPR
> Printer
> Selection.  Leave the Queue blank.  The PPD files should be in the Printer
> Descriptions folder in your System Extensions folder.  If the right one does
> not appear, it may be available on a disk that came with the printer, or you
> can download it from HP.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the help. My issue is simply that I can't get my G4/OS
9.2.2/JetDirect/ethernet router/HP 6MP combo to operate, nor the 6MP to
show up at all with any of my printing utilities or the Apple System
Profiler. The printer itself seems fine due to the JetDirect readily
printing out its test data sheet through it. If I could understand all
the data the JetDirect prints out, maybe I could verify whether the
JetDirect itself has any onboard problems. I COULD have a bad ethernet
connect cable from the router to the JetDirect, but this seems unlikely
as it's new. It's a straight pass cable, not the switchover type used
directly without a router.

This may be telling though. The JetDirect printout indicates "Appletalk
that means. Also: "Novel Status: 29. Unable to sense Net Number".  It
gives its IP address which I have not been able to access via Desktop
Printer Utility, HP LaserJet Utility 3.1.1, or directly as you suggest
via my web browser. In each case, I get the spinning clock Mac cursor
icon indefinitely as it never finds what it is looking for.

I have the 6MP PPD file in my Printer Descriptions folder and have
attempted using that via Desktop Printer Utility and the JetDirect IP
address to set up the 6MP as either a Postscript printer on AppleTalk or
as LPR. The 6MP never shows up anywhere no matter which way I attempt.
What does this point to? I don't know enough about either printers or
networking to figure it out. How do I get AppleTalk turned on in the
JetDirect? AppleTalk is supposedly active via ethernet in the AppleTalk
control panel: "Connect via: Ethernet". In Setup it indicates: "Current
Zone: <no zones available>" but I don't know what that means exactly
either. Any further ideas from this info?

Thanks much,

Doug
0
DigitalXS
1/7/2005 12:19:22 AM
Hey Doug,
can sense your frustration,

should be easy as pie though,
first using the keyboard on the printer,
activate appletalk through the printer's menu,

after appletalk is active on the printer,
turn the printer off, then back on,
so as to reconnect to your router,
the light on the jetdirect card should be green (indicating a good
connection)
as well as a green light on your router,

now on your computer,
go to chooser, select laserwriter 8,
select your printer (hopefully), pick the appropriate .ppd at the prompt

and away you go,

believe me, it's something real simple (and once setup, there will be no
fussing with it)
especially since your printing from classic,

we had this machine where I used to work
and its a real workhorse...

any problems, keep me updated here,

good luck,

Will

PS-You may have to use the HP Laserjet Utility to activate the appletalk
on the printer
if you can't do this on the printer from the menus.

PPS-You can also give your printer a unique name (Doug's HP 6MP or
something) with the Apple Printer Utility.

0
William
1/7/2005 2:01:37 AM
In article <41DDED80.CA909B25@sympatico.ca>,
 William Lazarou <menuguy@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> should be easy as pie though,
> first using the keyboard on the printer,
> activate appletalk through the printer's menu,

Hi Will...thanks for tackling my conundrum. I'm really scratching my
head at the first part above. "The keyboard on my printer"? The HP 6MP
doesn't have much more than a power button and reset button for
controls. No digital readouts or keyboard type input controls. I have no
idea how to activate AppleTalk directly on the printer all by itself.
There is nothing in the HP manual to suggest this is possible or
necessary. Am I misunderstanding something you mean by this?

> after appletalk is active on the printer,
> turn the printer off, then back on,
> so as to reconnect to your router,
> the light on the jetdirect card should be green (indicating a good
> connection)
> as well as a green light on your router,

This makes sense assuming I can make sense of the first part at the top
and get the ball rolling. Thanks,

Doug
0
DigitalXS
1/7/2005 2:43:26 AM
DigitalXS wrote:

> In article <41DDED80.CA909B25@sympatico.ca>,
>  William Lazarou <menuguy@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > should be easy as pie though,
> > first using the keyboard on the printer,
> > activate appletalk through the printer's menu,
>
> Hi Will...thanks for tackling my conundrum. I'm really scratching my
> head at the first part above. "The keyboard on my printer"? The HP 6MP
> doesn't have much more than a power button and reset button for
> controls. No digital readouts or keyboard type input controls. I have no
> idea how to activate AppleTalk directly on the printer all by itself.
> There is nothing in the HP manual to suggest this is possible or
> necessary. Am I misunderstanding something you mean by this?

If you cannot access the menus/settings for the printer,
then you must use the HP Jetdirect Utility or the Apple Printer Utility
to "tell the printer to turn on Appletalk" on the printer...

should be one of the settings accessable from the utilities...

give it a try and get back to me,

Will

0
William
1/7/2005 12:28:31 PM
Hi again Will,

In article <41DE806D.51664A24@sympatico.ca>,
 William Lazarou <menuguy@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> If you cannot access the menus/settings for the printer,

Tell again exactly how you think I should be able to do this apart from
the Printer Utilities themselves?

> then you must use the HP Jetdirect Utility or the Apple Printer Utility
> to "tell the printer to turn on Appletalk" on the printer...
>
> should be one of the settings accessable from the utilities...

Right...I understand this. But the original problem is that none of
these utilties even see the 6MP--to them it does  not exist. I can't
adjust anything (like AppleTalk) on a printer nothing (including Apple
System Profiler) can see. So, I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem
with the router, the JetDirect, the ethernet 10BT cable, or software
issues. I'm trying to get info to figure out how to isolate the likely
culprit and how to test or remedy it.

Maybe it would also be helpful to verify what extensions and control
panels (and settings) are required to have a postscript printer running
via ethernet network on a G4 in OS 9.2.2. I assume I don't need
WebSharing which I have deactivated. I just have TCP/IP and AppleTalk
(which IS active and indicates so in the Chooser--where the 6MP also
does not show up). Related extensions I have installed are LaserWriter
8, Desktop Printer Spooler, Apple Enet DLPI Support,
Apple Enet, EnetShimLib, Desktop Printer Menu, and the HP LaserJet 6MP
PPD in the Printing Description folder.

I wish I had software to test or verify the JetDirect itself somehow.
Someone using a JetDirect in System 9.2...does your Apple System
Profiler "see" it and identify it? If so, where exactly and what does it
say?

Thanks for the ongoing help everyone.

Doug
0
DigitalXS
1/7/2005 3:44:19 PM

> I wish I had software to test or verify the JetDirect itself somehow.
> Someone using a JetDirect in System 9.2...does your Apple System
> Profiler "see" it and identify it? If so, where exactly and what does it
> say?

Doug, the JetDirect is just an ethernet card that fits into and communicates
to the HP printer
in this case the 6MP

try the online manual from HP
it will give you directions on how to activate the appletalk
worst case scenario is,

a/ must bring printer to a pc connect via another input (parallel or what
have you)
and activate appletalk,

b/ bring pc laptop to printer and connect via parallel and activate
appletalk,

you did not mention whether the green light was on, on the JetDirect card,
indicating a good connection,

Will

0
William
1/7/2005 5:30:55 PM
<< I COULD have a bad ethernet
connect cable from the router to the JetDirect, but this seems unlikely
as it's new. It's a straight pass cable, not the switchover type used
directly without a router. >>

Doug-

Did we establish that your Mac is obtaining its IP address using DHCP from the
router?  It should look like the IP address in the JetDirect, except the fourth
group of digits should be different.

It is sounding more like you might have a bad cable.  The LPR printing should
work the way you tried it.

There must be some way to configure the JetDirect box, and accessing it via URL
in a browser is the most likely way.  If you don't have a user manual for it,
it should be available from HP's web site.

Do you happen to have a "crossover" ethernet cable handy?  You could connect it
directly between the JetDirect and your Mac.  Then you should be able to do LPR
printing and access the JetDirect's internal web server.  This assumes the IP
address of either the JetDirect or the Mac doesn't change when the router is
disconnected.  You may need to manually assign the Mac's IP address instead of
using DHCP.

Is there a chance that one of your cables actually is a crossover cable?  You
may be able to examine the wires inside the RJ-45 connectors and see if any are
cross-wired.

Fred

0
fmmck
1/7/2005 5:38:59 PM
See here...

Will

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportTaskIndex.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=25477&prodTypeId=18972&supportTaskId=2937

0
William
1/7/2005 5:41:33 PM
<< If I use TCP/IP (LPR), what does this do to my DSL connection and
router? Right now my TCP/IP control panel says "Connect via: Ethernet"
and "Configure using: DHCP Server". I don't know how else it can work. >>

Doug-

That is your Mac control panel, and it is configured the way I would expect.
If it works through the DSL connection to access the internet, then all is well
with the router and the Mac.

But what about the printer?  You indicated that the self-test showed that
AppleTalk was turned off, which would explain why it does not show up in your
chooser.

My HP printer has an internal JetDirect card, so the self-test is initiated
from the printer's control panel.  On the configuration page for the JetDirect,
there is a section titled TCP/IP.  It lists IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default
Gateway, Config By:, DHCP Server, et cetera.

My router IP address is 192.168.11.1, which appears as both the Default Gateway
and DHCP Server on the configuration page.  The printer's IP address is
192.168.11.2.  Since I'm using a dial-up internet connection, the router isn't
assigning my computer's IP address.  If I was using a system such as yours, I
would expect an IP address would be assigned to the computer something like
192.168.11.3.

How does this compare to what you observe?  Does the JetDirect IP address match
the router and computer addresses?  If not, could the JetDirect have a manually
assigned address from a previous installation?  If that happened to be the
case, you could try resetting the JetDirect to return it to its default
parameters.  You also might try connecting the Mac to the JetDirect using a
cross-over cable (it might work with a straight cable - worth a try).  You
would need to manually assign an IP address to the Macintosh that matched the
JetDirect except that the last group must be different (Like .2 vs .3).  You
could then enter the printer's IP address as a URL in your browser and access
its internal web page as previously suggested.

Fred

0
fmmck
1/8/2005 3:52:56 AM
In article <20050107123859.07275.00002382@mb-m10.aol.com>,
 fmmck@aol.communicate (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

> Did we establish that your Mac is obtaining its IP address using DHCP from
> the router?  It should look like the IP address in the JetDirect, except the
> fourth group of digits should be different.

Fred and Will,

Here's what I got:

JetDirect self-test print says its IP address is: 56.183.55.56

TCP/IP control panel reports my Mac IP address is: 192.168.2.101
TCP/IP control panel reports my router address is: 192.168.2.1
The name server address is identical to the router address.

My DSL works fine through my router.

I have tried two different 10B-T cables from the router to the JetDirect
with the same result...the JetDirect status light is green, the activity
light flickers briefly every few seconds, and the test button does
generate a data printout on my 6MP.

I have examined the terminals of the ethernet cables to verify they are
direct and not crossover.

I just used my one crossover cable (which I know works because it has
been normally installed from my DSL modem to my router where it is
needed for my DSL feed). I connected it directly from the G4 to the
JetDirect. In TCP/IP I changed Configure to Manually and entered the
JetDirect address from the printout: 56.183.55.56. I set the Mac IP
address as 56.183.55.55. Trying to set up the 6MP via LPR with the
Desktop Printer Utility at 56.183.55.56 gave me a report back that the
printer could not be verified at that address.

However, when connected to the JetDirect and setting Configure to "Using
DHCP Server", the IP address became 169.254.105.40, as did the "router"
address though of course no router was in use. The name server address
became 224.0.0.251. I don't know what any of this indicates. While setup
with a direct connection with the crossover cable, attempting to connect
to the JetDirect "page" via the URL (https://56.183.55.56/) resulted in
a failed connection in my web browser. The HP site had some info on
accessing the Embedded Web Server in the JetDirect, and it uses https.
With or without the s, however, the connection fails.

Now, I am seriously thinking that there is something wrong with the
JetDirect, despite its printout and indicator lights. I SHOULD be able
to readily connect to its EWS via the URL. I tried two different 10B-T
cables and two different out ports on my new router. Same result.

I think the problem is A) AppleTalk is not activated in the JetDirect
and B) I can't access the JetDirect EWS to get it activated. Is there
any way from the JetDirect printout to determine if something is dead or
not working internally? What could or would go wrong with a JetDIrect so
that it appears to be working normally in every regard except being able
to have its EWS accessed? Bottom line. What else can I do to
check/verify the working status of the JetDirect? I have all this data
it prints out on Test, but I don't understand most of it.

The PDF JetDirect manual states the following about using DHCP:

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP, RFC 2131/2132) is
one of several auto configuration mechanisms that the HP JetDirect
print server uses. If you have a DHCP server on your network, the
HP JetDirect print server automatically obtains its IP address from
that server and registers its name with any RFC 1001 and
1002-compliant dynamic name services.

I did a cold factory default resetting of the JetDirect by pushing the
Test button and installing the power cable, but the IP address did not
reset to the factory default listed in the manual. The fact that the
JetDirect address is staying statically at an address completely
different from what DHCP is assinging my Mac and router, it seems that
nothing is working in the JetDirect??? I bought it on eBay from someone
who said he had pulled it from a network. Do JetDirects go bad but still
print out pages and give green status lights?

Bedtime.

Doug
0
DigitalXS
1/8/2005 7:43:21 AM
<< I connected it directly from the G4 to the
JetDirect. In TCP/IP I changed Configure to Manually and entered the
JetDirect address from the printout: 56.183.55.56. I set the Mac IP
address as 56.183.55.55. Trying to set up the 6MP via LPR with the
Desktop Printer Utility at 56.183.55.56 gave me a report back that the
printer could not be verified at that address. >>

Doug-

At least you're getting somewhere now.  I assume you entered
http://56.183.55.56/ as a URL in your browser.  I've found that some browsers
work better than others with HP internal web servers, so you might try a
different one if you have it.  Yes, it might be configured for https.

You might also try repeating the reset two or three times.  Be sure you firmly
hold down the test button for at least 10 seconds after plugging in the power.
I hope the CMOS RAM hasn't been replaced by an EPROM.  That is the only reason
I can think of, that would defeat the reset function.

As a point of interest, I checked the IP address at the ARIN "whois" web site
(http://www.arin.net/whois/) and found:

TechName:   U.S. Postal Service
TechPhone:  +1-800-877-7435
TechEmail:  domainadmin@imail.usps.gov

Fred

0
fmmck
1/8/2005 4:29:35 PM
<< The fact that the
JetDirect address is staying statically at an address completely
different from what DHCP is assinging my Mac and router, it seems that
nothing is working in the JetDirect??? >>

Doug-

The router is where a DHCP address is assigned.  Its IP address hasn't changed.

When your Mac was connected to the JetDirect, it was not able to obtain an IP
address via DHCP, so it made one up!  You may learn to recognize the
self-generated IP addresses the Mac uses.  It is from a group of numbers
reserved for that purpose, as is the group of internal IP addresses used by
routers.

Fred

0
fmmck
1/8/2005 4:43:52 PM
Hey Fred, Will, and any others following this conundrum...

Problem SOLVED! It's a bit odd how it resolved, but here is what
happened. Last night, I thought I had used the cold reset on the
JetDirect to wipe the programmed settings from the previous owner. I
tried it two or three times actually...pressing the TEST button while
plugging the power cable into the unit. But apparently, it didn't
actually work the first couple times I tried (the IP address did not
revert to the default the manual lists, nor did AppleTalk reactivate). I
was thinking the JetDirect was defective. Now, this morning, I got up,
and the unit was blinking, which means "Network not ready" or something
to that effect. I did a Test printout and it indicated an IP address of
0.0.0.0 and that Apple Talk was "Initializing".  I did another manual
reset on the JetDirect and a subsequent test printout...and, voila,
finally the IP address had reverted to the factory default of
192.0.0.192 and it indicated ApppleTalk was now active.

I went first to the Chooser, and sure enough, it showed up there under
LaserWriter 8. It showed up in the Desktop Printer Utility as an
AppleTalk printer (I just needed to select the PPD and the printer and
Auto Configure it). No fussing to create an LPR printer was necessary.
The 6MP shows up in the HP LaserJet Utility similarly and also let me do
an Auto Configure there.

DHCP ethernet via my router does indeed automatically set up an address
with the JetDirect evidently as i always thought it was supposed to. The
JetDirect IP address howerver still reads 192.0.0.192. The JetDirect pdf
manual states that this is a non-valid default address it resets to, but
its working fine without having to manually change it at this point. I
just printed an AppleWorks WP file with no problem.

The one thing I still can't seem to do is access the JetDirect's
Embedded Web Server via my browser. I tried it using both
https://192.0.0.192/ and using my router I.P. address, but it still just
cycles and can't find it. Not that I need to make any changes to the
settings at this point apparently, but I'm curious why I can't access
it. At this point, I'm just tremendously relieved and thrilled it's
working. I could live with this situation, but I would like to figure
out how to access the internal server menu if possible.

Thanks so much everyone for the tips, ideas, and suggestions. All this
dinking around with and digging for more scraps of information finally
paid off. Hooray!

Doug
0
DigitalXS
1/8/2005 4:46:37 PM
In article <20050108112935.06323.00002072@mb-m26.aol.com>,
 fmmck@aol.communicate (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

> At least you're getting somewhere now.  I assume you entered
> http://56.183.55.56/ as a URL in your browser.  I've found that some browsers
> work better than others with HP internal web servers, so you might try a
> different one if you have it.  Yes, it might be configured for https.

Hmmm, interesting. Next time I boot up OSX on this G4, I'll try it using
Safari, the only other browser I have on this machine. Thanks!

Doug
0
DigitalXS
1/8/2005 4:50:42 PM
<< Unfortunately, I am still having no
luck at all getting the HP 6MP to show up with Desktop Printer Utility
or my HP LaserJet Utility (or anything else). >>

<< I did another manual
reset on the JetDirect and a subsequent test printout...and, voila,
finally the IP address had reverted to the factory default of
192.0.0.192 and it indicated ApppleTalk was now active.>>

Doug-

Now that AppleTalk is working, it would be interesting to see if the JetDirect
can be accessed by the HP LaserJet Utility.  That might enable you to set any
remaining parameters that need setting, such as turning on DHCP (which doesn't
seem to be working if I understand you).

If the IP address is not in the range of that assigned to your computer, you
may be printing using AppleTalk, not LPR.  Similarly, you might need to use the
cross-over cable with a manually assigned address in your computer, to access
the web server.

You're almost there!

Fred

0