No printer model for Canon in Tiger Printer Setup Utility

I have successfully set up remote printing from my OS X 10.4 Tiger
laptop to my Canon S750 printer connected to my Win XP home PC. I can
print across the network, through the XP box and all the way to the
printer - but nothing emerges.

I suspect that my problem is the lack of any Canon printer models to
choose from in the Printer Setup Utility on the OS X laptop. When I
open the Printer Setup Utility and click on the "More Printers ..."
button, I can navigate through the workgroup to the XP box and to the
Shared printer without any problems. In the Printer Model pulldown,
however, there are no Canon entries listed. What the pulldown menu
shows me is this:

Auto Select (this entry is greyed out)
Generic
Other ...
---
Apple
EFI
ESP
Fiery
Fuji Xerox
HP
Oce
Ricoh
Sharp
Splash
Toshiba
Xerox

I've tried selecting the 'Generic' option but with this selected, the
printer activity light simply flashes a few times and nothing is
printed. When I chose the 'Other ...', an open file dialog opens but
I'm not sure what sort of file it is looking for or where to obtain it.

How do I get the Canon printer model to show up in the printer model
list so that I can select the appropriate printer type?

- CDM

0
cdmonline
6/25/2005 11:50:17 AM
comp.sys.mac.printing 1394 articles. 0 followers. littlesister (1) is leader. Post Follow

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 07:50:17 -0400, cdmonline@mac.com wrote
(in article <1119700217.153123.236470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>):

> I have successfully set up remote printing from my OS X 10.4 Tiger
> laptop to my Canon S750 printer connected to my Win XP home PC. I can
> print across the network, through the XP box and all the way to the
> printer - but nothing emerges.
>
> I suspect that my problem is the lack of any Canon printer models to
> choose from in the Printer Setup Utility on the OS X laptop. When I
> open the Printer Setup Utility and click on the "More Printers ..."
> button, I can navigate through the workgroup to the XP box and to the
> Shared printer without any problems. In the Printer Model pulldown,
> however, there are no Canon entries listed. What the pulldown menu
> shows me is this:
>
> Auto Select (this entry is greyed out)
> Generic
> Other ...
> ---
> Apple
> EFI
> ESP
> Fiery
> Fuji Xerox
> HP
> Oce
> Ricoh
> Sharp
> Splash
> Toshiba
> Xerox
>
> I've tried selecting the 'Generic' option but with this selected, the
> printer activity light simply flashes a few times and nothing is
> printed. When I chose the 'Other ...', an open file dialog opens but
> I'm not sure what sort of file it is looking for or where to obtain it.
>
> How do I get the Canon printer model to show up in the printer model
> list so that I can select the appropriate printer type?
>
> - CDM

I suspect a problem with your install. Not only do I have lots of Canon
printers available when I do that, I also have available as a possible
selection 'Canon BJ Networking' as well as the various Epson, HP, and Lexmark
special printing setup zones.

It's true that most of my Canon selections come via GIMP-Print, either the
drivers which came with OS X or the hpijs/foomatic drivers. Did you install
GIMP-Print? (it's supposed to be a part of the default install, so if you
didn't, you would have had to deliberately NOT install it) Did you _delete_
GIMP-Print? If GIMP-Print isn't there, have you tried going to the GIMP-Print
site and downloading and installing the latest version, optionally getting
the hpijs/foomatic drivers while you're at it?