Tiger doesn't print well (various printers)

Hi

I have printing problems since I upgraded to a G5/Tiger.

My setup was working perfectly on the G4 under Panther:
HP CP1700 via USB, HP driver
HP DJ1120C and DJ 500 via GIMP-PRINT

Now except for the DJ500 nothing is working correctly on the G5/Tiger
(10.4.2).

The CP1700 says it's processing the page, pulls a paper in, but nothing
ever comes out while the computer says printing went ok. I tried the
CP1700 using GIMP-PRINT, through my HP Print Server.

The 1120C doesn't even pull in a paper but I get an error message from
the Print Monitor 'imagetoprint unexpectedly quit with error 6' or
something like that.

---------------
If I hook up any of these printers directly to my PowerBook G4/Panther
they work just fine. If I try to print from the PowerBook using Airport
- essentially using the G5 as a Print Server - same problems as above.

Is anyone aware of general problems with Tiger in regards to HP printers?

I verified each printer individually by hooking it up to the PowerBook.
Not problem in the printer hardware or cables. As soon as I try to print
from the G5/Tiger problems pop up.

Just to make sure I set up a brand new OS X Tiger system disk, clean
install, configured the printers and tried to print from there but still
the same.

Is it possible to run Panther on a G5? I'll try that next to make sure
that it's not a hardware problem on the G5.

Any input most welcome.

Peter Kienle

--
www.acmerecords.com/oddgitjazz.html
0

In article <*****-B10B2E.19221305082005@news.indiana.edu>,
 Something <*****@*****.***> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have printing problems since I upgraded to a G5/Tiger.
>
> My setup was working perfectly on the G4 under Panther:
> HP CP1700 via USB, HP driver
> HP DJ1120C and DJ 500 via GIMP-PRINT
>
> Now except for the DJ500 nothing is working correctly on the G5/Tiger
> (10.4.2).
>
> The CP1700 says it's processing the page, pulls a paper in, but nothing
> ever comes out while the computer says printing went ok. I tried the
> CP1700 using GIMP-PRINT, through my HP Print Server.
>
> The 1120C doesn't even pull in a paper but I get an error message from
> the Print Monitor 'imagetoprint unexpectedly quit with error 6' or
> something like that.

There have been numerous problems cited with the HP drivers in Tiger.
You can search some place like <http://www.macintouch.com> to see what
others have had problems with and how they dealt with the problems.

As for the Gimp-Print (Gutenprint) drivers not working in Tiger.  Check
the version number.  The default version installed with Tiger is v5.0
beta 2.  It is quite likely that you are using Gimp-Print v4.2.7 in
Panther.  This earlier version is also compatible with Tiger.  You can
find the earlier version at
<http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3>.

You may also want to try using Printer Setup Repair from
<http://www.fixamacsoftware.com/software/psr/> to see if there is some
underlying problem with your printing services installation.

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.