Can older Mac 68K apps be converted to FAT or PPC apps to run on PPCs?

Can someone explain the difficulty level to do this?  I have an obsolete
form filler application that is only for 68K Macs.  How much trouble is
it to convert?
0
Robert
8/8/2005 7:26:55 PM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help 4653 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Robert Hovland <ranospamhovland@earthlink.net> writes:

> Can someone explain the difficulty level to do this?  I have an obsolete
> form filler application that is only for 68K Macs.  How much trouble is
> it to convert?

As I understand it, updating your code and building a Carbon version of your
app isn't too much trouble. Carbon is essentially just a newer version of the
class Toolbox API, so Carbonating your app won't be nearly as much work as
creating a completely "foreign" port would be.

On the other hand, you *do* need to have the source code for the app, and
you *will* need to do some updating of it and build a Carbon version. As far
as I know, there is no "converter" that will easily magically a 68K app into
a modern app with no programming needed.

sherm--

Sherm
8/8/2005 7:54:22 PM
In article
<ranospamhovland-BA1FB0.12265508082005@news.west.earthlink.net>,
 Robert Hovland <ranospamhovland@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Can someone explain the difficulty level to do this?  I have an obsolete
> form filler application that is only for 68K Macs.  How much trouble is
> it to convert?

Probably little-or-none if you've got the source code so that you can
recompile it with a PPC compiler.

Without the source code, forget it - It ain't gonna happen unless you
write a new version from scratch.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
<dakidd@sonic.net> wrote:

> In article
> <ranospamhovland-BA1FB0.12265508082005@news.west.earthlink.net>,
>  Robert Hovland <ranospamhovland@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Can someone explain the difficulty level to do this?  I have an obsolete
> > form filler application that is only for 68K Macs.  How much trouble is
> > it to convert?
>
> Probably little-or-none if you've got the source code so that you can
> recompile it with a PPC compiler.

Depends on how old the 68k code is.  Depending on the age of the code
relative to the compiler, there could be a lot of "search and replace"
to do, plus cleaning up memory operations if the code isn't 32-bit
clean.  Callback function pointers vs. UPPs come to mind as an example.
There may also be kludges in the code made redundant by improvements in
the toolbox APIs that need to be fixed.  Certainly do-able, though.

> Without the source code, forget it - It ain't gonna happen unless you
> write a new version from scratch.

Absolutely.  There's no way to hack the binary and make it work as a FAT
or PPC application.
0
David

Best app. to run PC apps through Mac?
Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq. I need to run the PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client). DAVE seems soley devoted to file sharing. Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac. Any suggestions? "eMac" <dcallaha@infionline.net> wrote in message news:1ggyxoc.9se1o61ha5ki0N%dcallaha@infionline.net... > Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq. I need to run the > PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client). DAVE seems soley devoted to > file sharing. Again, running OS 9.2.2 so ...

Mac
Hi, I have written a service to launch our wxWidgets Application when the user selects the menu item in the Services menu. The wxWidgets Application is configured to accept command line parameters when starting from the terminal window. I am launching the wxWidgets Application using Mac Launch Services call LSOpenFromURLSpec. I created an apple event descriptor (AEDesc) and added the parameters to pass into the AEDesc for the launch spec. This is not working, the application will launch but the parameters are ignored. Do I need to add an impementation in the wxMyApp::MacOpenFile to...

Wondershare Video Converter for Mac Is Available On Mac App Store

Wondershare Video Converter Pro for Mac is Available on Mac App Store
Wondershare Video Converter Pro is a powerful converter that supports both videos and home DVDs. </b> It can help you convert videos and DVDs in several click, formats supported including: AVI, WMV, MP4, MOV, FLV, MKV, etc., with powerful and helpful edit functions for featuring the media file offered. Popular devices and apps like iPhone/ iPad/iPod/iMovie/FCP/HTC etc are supported. Key features of Video Converter Pro: -Convert videos and DVDs to popular formats of your choice. -Enjoy your favorite videos and movies on all your portable devices such as iPad, iPhone, iPod, Ap...

Run Linux App over Mac OS X via Mac X11
Hello. I have a working Linux GUI app and tried in vain to run it over MacOS X via X11. The error msg from X11 is as follows: ------------------------------------------------- $ Gdk-ERROR **: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) serial 16453 error_code 2 request_code 45 minor_code 0 ------------------------------------------------------ The app was built using gcc-3.4.2 (gcc-3.4.2/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2), and libwx_gtkd_gl-2.4.a. Could some tell me how to fix or get around it. Many thanks ming -----Original Message----- From: Henk Boons...

Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for Mac Is Available On Mac App Store
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for Mac is the all-in-one solution to combine the features of the Mac video and DVD converter tools, and DVD burner. It is available for you to convert audio and video files from a variety of formats to playback on iOS devices, PSP, Blackberry, Android phones, tablets and other mobile devices etc. Moreover, it enables you to easily rip and burn DVDs. Top features of Video Converter Ultimate: 1. Convert video files such as AVI, MP4, MOV, M4V, MKV, FLV and etc. to the proper formats (with pre-sets) for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PSP, Blackberry, and...

Wondershare Video Converter for Mac is available on Mac App Store #2

Help! iSync mac to mac

No Mac Help in Mac Help?
When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get nothing. The window pops up but it's blank. Click on the little house and the initial screen fills in but nothing beyond that. I had a simiar problem with Safari help some time back and someone suggested I remove a folder from Library/Caches, (com.apple.helpui or something similar) and that did the trick for Safari's help. I honestly don't recall if I've ever had the Mac Help or I've just never used it since this machine. The problem happens on or offline so I'm not sure where the Mac Help file re...

Does an app run Mac O X 10.4 when it has been built on Mac OS 10. 3+
Hello. I don't have Mac OS X 10.4 yet, my application is built on Mac OS X 10.3.9, does The application can run properly on Mac OS 10.4 ? Thanks ming --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Hi Ming, Yes, almost everything should work without modification. I only found one thing in Tiger that worked differently than Panther, and it was easy to fix once I got a complete report of what was going on. HTH,...

You can now run Android apps on a Mac or PC with Google Chrome
Thanks to Bluesnews.com http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/3/8339197/android-apps-on-windows-mac-linux-chrome-os (\__/) (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. ...

You can now run Android apps on a Mac or PC with Google Chrome #2
Thanks to Bluesnews.com http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/3/8339197/android-apps-on-windows-mac-linux-chrome-os (\__/) (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. ...

Speed-Up.app from Mac App Store
Has anyone purchased, or know anything about, Speed-Up.app, which is available from the Mac App Store? (This is not an iPhone app.) It looks like it would be useful to me for playing back songs in iTunes at variable speeds, but I can't find any documentation for it to even see how it works. The Mac App Store info says it works with 10.5+, but it hasn't been updated since Jan 2011. The link to "Speed-Up Support" is broken but it does get you to a site that advertises Speed-Up as an iTunes plug-in. However, there's remarkably little there about Speed-Up, s...

mac app store apps dl limits
Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is this a app store variable, an app variable or what? And would anyone know what the deal is on the above mentioned apps is? Would re-installing software require a deauth before hand? In article <l5c6qq$tfa$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw <nouser@invalid.com> wrote: > Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and > fi...

How can i make my app run as a web app
Hello everyone, I have an app that runs on windows and I want it to work on the web. So users can login to a website and use the app. Thanks On 30/11/15 05:30, anthonygiaimo@gmail.com wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I have an app that runs on windows and I want it to work on the web. > > So users can login to a website and use the app. > > Thanks > In the enterprise version theres a internet connect thing. Never used it but it's there. You could also try @thin Sean H ...

Another app that does not run on a mac
http://www.buildingsgroup.nrcan.gc.ca/software/hot2xp_e.html Great application to analyze the energy requirements of your house. Create a base case, then upgrade insulation, low-e windows etc and view the savings. Hmmm, wonder if the maccies are as loose with their heating/cooling dollars as with their computing dollars? http://www.buildingsgroup.nrcan.gc.ca/images/screenshots/hot2xp.gif No reason it wouldn't run fine on VirtualPC. Try harder. Hell, later this year you'll have to abandon this silly line of argument altogether. "Fred" <Fred@zzz.net> stated...

com.sys.mac.apps
www.freeservice6.blogspot.com ...

Opening a doc on Mac A using an app on Mac B?
Macs A and B are on the same LAN, and both have copies of a certain app. The master file or doc created by that app is stored only on Mac A, and most of the time is opened, modified, and re-saved using the copy of that app on Mac A. Is there any single-click way that one could sometimes open this file that's on Mac A from the Mac B keyboard __using the copy of the app that's on Mac B__; modify it using the Mac B copy; and re-save it on Mac A? Obviously I'm trying to avoid the complexities of having to keep duplicate copies on the doc on Macs A and B and then somehow keep ...

Sort of a Mac app, really, it's for a Mac
I have a copy of Vista to install on my new MacBook Pro Duo, but I hesitate to do it, because my neighbors' wifis are always on (very convenient as a back-up to my DSL) and I fear the Windows partition being invaded by malware. Is there an anti-malware program I can download and install simultaneously with Vista? Exactly how do I do that or do the next best alternative to simultaneous installation? Am I being panicky? I haven't used any kind of a Windows program since SoftWindows 95, which was pure macware. --- ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+==...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

Hovsepian: Apps! Apps! Apps!
Novell CEO: Apps Are Job No. 1 for Linux http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=021001VE8HV3 <<< In order for Linux to grow into the computing mainstream, the open- source OS needs more applications and a standardized approach to software certification, Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian said in his keynote Wednesday at the LinuxWorld conference and trade show in San Francisco. "The No. 1 thing that we need on Linux is applications," he said. "Whether we like it or not, the application is what drives the final customer decision," he added. >>> John Bail...

Mac to mac

Wondershare DVD Creator for Mac is available on Mac App Store
Wondershare DVD Creator for Mac is now available on Mac App Store with discount price $39.99. It is a creative DVD Video and DVD photo slide show application. It can convert videos to DVDs from popular videos like AVI, MPG, MPEG, MP4, WMV, MOV, MKV, FLV, etc. with 90+ preset free DVD menu templates. Besides, this DVD creator allows you to make slideshows and edit videos such as trim, crop, rotate videos, add watermarks, etc. Top Key Features: 1. Burn All Regular Video Formats to DVD. It can burn all regular video formats like MOV, MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MTS, HD videos, Flv files etc. ...

Web resources about - Can older Mac 68K apps be converted to FAT or PPC apps to run on PPCs? - comp.sys.mac.programmer.help

Reaching to the Converted - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^ Brackett, Nathan; Christian Hoard (2004). The Rolling Stone Album Guide . New York City, New York: Simon and Schuster. p. 101. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8 ...

Vitrue Offers Data On Brands That Have Converted To Facebook Timeline
Facebook marketing platform Vitrue shared some data on brands in its client base that have already made the switch to timeline for pages. With ...

Facebook Now Allows Personal Profiles To Be Converted Into Business Pages
For the first time, Facebook now allows personal user profiles to be converted into official business Pages, turning all their friends into fans. ...

epicstep_starter [Converted] - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore figarointhehouse's photos on Flickr. figarointhehouse has uploaded 6 photos to Flickr.

GTA IV - GTA 1 Converted to RAGE (VIDEO 2) HD - YouTube
since my frist video showed a EXTREMELY zoomed out camera i had to make another one i will also show some combat and shooting with a rpg which ...

Papuan children taken to Jakarta to be converted to Islam
Taken from West Papua to Jakarta, two brothers describe being ''schooled'' in the Muslim faith.

Papuan children taken to Jakarta to be converted to Islam
When the parents of Demianus and Seth Gobay died in their small West Papua village in Nabire perhaps five years ago, not all their six children ...

World's coolest converted hotels
... to stay somewhere a little bit different on your next holiday? Travel website Virtual Tourist has compiled this list of some of the best converted ...

Plane converted into accommodation
Why Wa loved the Dakota planes.

Kevin charming only the converted
THERE is a looming and dangerous prospect for Labor that the "Rudd factor" is either illusory or having an effect in the wrong places or both. ...