Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X

I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac
os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find
no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off
the earth for them.

The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward
compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9
will I need all the mac os x libraries ?

can someone throw somelight ?

Thanks
0
dadbhawala
11/22/2003 12:04:23 AM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help 4653 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 21 Nov 2003, dharmesh wrote:

> I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac
> os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find
> no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off
> the earth for them.
Mac OS 8/9 documentation is at
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos8/mac8.html
(it's in the legacy documentation section)

> The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward
> compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9
> will I need all the mac os x libraries ?

If your application is carbonised (ie you link against CarbonLib instead
of InterfaceLib & co) then the same binary will run on OS X and OS 9

Fred

0
Frederick
11/22/2003 12:51:16 AM
I was trying to reference the CarbonLib from visual basic...I was
succesful with Interacelib but couldn't access CarbonLib. I dont
understand why. The system seems to have CarbonLib 1.4.
Thanks for the reply

Frederick Cheung <fglc2@srcf.DUH.ucam.org> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.44.0311220048280.27512-100000@kern.srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>...
> On 21 Nov 2003, dharmesh wrote:
>
> > I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac
> > os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find
> > no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off
> > the earth for them.
> Mac OS 8/9 documentation is at
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos8/mac8.html
> (it's in the legacy documentation section)
>

> > The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward
> > compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9
> > will I need all the mac os x libraries ?
>
> If your application is carbonised (ie you link against CarbonLib instead
> of InterfaceLib & co) then the same binary will run on OS X and OS 9
>
> Fred
0
dadbhawala
11/22/2003 5:21:04 PM
In article <7ea070a.0311220921.70151eb4@posting.google.com>,
 dadbhawala@hotmail.com (dharmesh) wrote:

> I was trying to reference the CarbonLib from visual basic...I was
> succesful with Interacelib but couldn't access CarbonLib. I dont
> understand why. The system seems to have CarbonLib 1.4.

You can't use CarbonLib if your host application isn't carbonized.
InterfaceLib and CarbonLib are an either-or thing.

I wasn't even aware Visual Basic existed in a Mac version (save maybe
for VBA in MS Office) -- did you mean REALBasic, perhaps?

Baffled,
-- M. Uli Kusterer
http://www.zathras.de
0
Uli
11/22/2003 11:59:43 PM
In article <7ea070a.0311220921.70151eb4@posting.google.com>,
 dadbhawala@hotmail.com (dharmesh) wrote:

> I was trying to reference the CarbonLib from visual basic...

There's your problem...
0
Sean
11/23/2003 6:01:11 PM
Thanks for the reply.
How can I get access to InterfaceLib api's ? I am using VBA inside office.
I can call Interfacelib functions.
Thanks
Dharmesh

Uli Kusterer <witness@t-online.de> wrote in message news:<witness-919D95.00594323112003@news.t-online.com>...
> In article <7ea070a.0311220921.70151eb4@posting.google.com>,
>  dadbhawala@hotmail.com (dharmesh) wrote:
>
> > I was trying to reference the CarbonLib from visual basic...I was
> > succesful with Interacelib but couldn't access CarbonLib. I dont
> > understand why. The system seems to have CarbonLib 1.4.
>
> You can't use CarbonLib if your host application isn't carbonized.
> InterfaceLib and CarbonLib are an either-or thing.

> I wasn't even aware Visual Basic existed in a Mac version (save maybe
> for VBA in MS Office) -- did you mean REALBasic, perhaps?
>
> Baffled,
> -- M. Uli Kusterer
> http://www.zathras.de
0
dadbhawala
11/24/2003 9:40:50 PM
If I can access Interfacelib, Why can't I access CarbonLib ? Is there
something called URLAccessLib ?
Thanks for the reply
Regards
Dharmesh

Sean McBride <cwatson@cam.org> wrote in message news:<cwatson-214F11.13010923112003@aeinews.aei.ca>...
> In article <7ea070a.0311220921.70151eb4@posting.google.com>,
>  dadbhawala@hotmail.com (dharmesh) wrote:
>
> > I was trying to reference the CarbonLib from visual basic...
>
> There's your problem...
0
dadbhawala

Web resources about - Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X - comp.sys.mac.programmer.help

Anvil for Mac
Anvil takes your site folder, gives it a .dev URL and makes it run for you. Works for any static HTML sites and Rack apps. I thought this was ...

Celebrate the Mac
Great site put together by Jonathan Zufi, the man behind the Iconic book.

Cult of Mac - Breaking news for Apple fans
The weekend hasn’t arrived quite yet, as Apple has quietly pushed out a revised build of iOS 5.1.1 for the GSM iPhone 4 (AT&T). The update (Build ...

Mac and Apple News, Tips, Help and Reviews - The Mac Observer
Daily news, opinions, editorials, reviews, tips, help, forums, comments, and podcasts all relating to the Mac, Apple, the iPod, the iPhone, and ...

MacVoices - The Talk of the Mac Community
Adam Engst and Chuck Joiner got to do one of their favorite things when they made a virtual visit to the Chicago Apple User Group for a MacNotables ...

Useful Mac
New website by Garrett Murray. Already a winner by introducing me to this gem of a Safari extension .

File:Freddie Mac.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The image is placed in the infobox at the top of the article discussing Freddie Mac, a subject of public interest. The significance of the logo ...

Neverware turns your old PC or Mac into a Chromebook, adds dual-booting
Neverware makes Chromium OS, the open-source version of Chrome OS, easy to install on any PC or Mac. Unsurprisingly, it has gained traction with ...

Mac
Visit the post for more. 9to5Google 9to5Toys Electrek Community About Tips/Contact Search Mac iOS AAPL Guides MacBook Air MacBook Pro Mac Pro ...