New OS X Programmer

Hey all.  I just purchased a powerbook a couple weeks ago, and a
interested in learning macos programming.  I know a bit of c, and a bi
of java, as well as some other stuff like perl and php.  From what i'v
heard, most people seem to think Cocoa with objective c is the best wa
for beginners....  Can anyone point me in the direction of any goo
resources such as books or websites for me to start with?  Like i sai
i know C very superficially and know objective c almost none at all.
Thanks in advance
-
iva

ivai
7/1/2004 7:57:52 AM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help 4653 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

ivai wrote:
> Hey all.  I just purchased a powerbook a couple weeks ago, and am
> interested in learning macos programming.  I know a bit of c, and a bit
> of java, as well as some other stuff like perl and php.  From what i've
> heard, most people seem to think Cocoa with objective c is the best way
> for beginners....  Can anyone point me in the direction of any good
> resources such as books or websites for me to start with?  Like i said
> i know C very superficially and know objective c almost none at all.
> Thanks in advance.

I, and I suspect many others (and I'm just starting to learn Cocoa as
well) would recommend the Hillegass book (Cocoa: Programming for OS X).
Superb introduction to Mac programming with Cocoa/Objective C. Get the
second edition if you have panther.
In article <1088676418.19611.0@despina.uk.clara.net>,
 G <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> ivai wrote:
> > Hey all.  I just purchased a powerbook a couple weeks ago, and am
> > interested in learning macos programming.  I know a bit of c, and a bit
> > of java, as well as some other stuff like perl and php.  From what i've
> > heard, most people seem to think Cocoa with objective c is the best way
> > for beginners....  Can anyone point me in the direction of any good
> > resources such as books or websites for me to start with?  Like i said
> > i know C very superficially and know objective c almost none at all.
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> I, and I suspect many others (and I'm just starting to learn Cocoa as
> well) would recommend the Hillegass book (Cocoa: Programming for OS X).
> Superb introduction to Mac programming with Cocoa/Objective C. Get the
> second edition if you have panther.

Get to know C more than superficially. A copy of The C Programming
Language belongs on every C programmer's shelf.

Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his
"standard output" to somewhere else, if he so chooses.  - Jeremy Nixon
0
Gregory
7/1/2004 11:38:19 AM
Gregory Weston wrote:

> Get to know C more than superficially. A copy of The C Programming
> Language belongs on every C programmer's shelf.

Oh yes. K&R if you don't know C certainly. Although I've just started
with Cocoa, I had a solid C/Posix background.
ivai  wrote:

>Hey all.  I just purchased a powerbook a couple weeks ago, and am
>interested in learning macos programming.  I know a bit of c, and a bit
>of java, as well as some other stuff like perl and php.

What you need to get started is right on your system,
assuming you've installed the Development package under
/Applications/Installers.

Once you've done that, look at
  /Developer/Documentation/Cocoa/CocoaTopics.html

to find a link to an  Obj-C tutorial and references.

If you need more to get started, like "how do I use project builder (or Xcode)",
then a commercial book comes in handy.  I chose "Building Cocoa Applications"
by Garfinkel/Mahoney to get me started, and I'll get the 2nd edition Hillegass book soon.

Good luck!

0
Mike
7/1/2004 11:41:27 PM
Dear Ivai,

One site I've found quite useful is www.programmersheaven.com it has forums
plus other bits and pieces as well. You can find information on almost any
platform from Atari 8-bits through to Macs and Linux. Also it covers what
seems like and endless list of languages and tools from Revolution through
to Python and C. If the forums are a little quiet leave a post and you'll
usually get a reply. The site also has links to many other places you may
find useful. Programmersheaven.com isn't mac specific but is usually good
for finding out general information programming languages and platforms.

Other useful sites include:

www.builder.com (most platforms and languages)
www.revjournal.com (if you are a Revolution user)
www.python.org (The home of Python)
www.macscripter.net (Applescript site)
groups.yahoo.com (an endless list of programming and platform related
groups)

Hope this helps.

Best,

Rod

--
Dr Rod McCall
Runtime Revolution Ltd
On 2004-07-01 03:57:52 -0400, ivai <ivai.18pj5o@mail.codecomments.com> said:

>  Can anyone point me in the direction of any good
> resources such as books or websites for me to start with?

I am currently reading the infamous "Hillegass book" and I find it to
be perhaps the best book on the topic of programming I have ever had
the pleasure to read.

The Book:  Cocoa Programming For Mac OS X
The Author: Aaron Hillegass
The Price: doesn't matter, you need this book!

GL

--
Thomas Leonard
<ike6116@mac.com>

0
Thomas
7/13/2004 3:34:49 AM
In article <2004071223344970231%tleonard@bridgewedu>,
 Thomas Leonard <tleonard@bridgew.edu> wrote:

> On 2004-07-01 03:57:52 -0400, ivai <ivai.18pj5o@mail.codecomments.com> said:
>
> >  Can anyone point me in the direction of any good
> > resources such as books or websites for me to start with?

> The Book:  Cocoa Programming For Mac OS X
> The Author: Aaron Hillegass
> The Price: doesn't matter, you need this book!

Make certain to get the 2nd edition.

--
PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
PGP Fingerprint:  89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD  9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

Windows has always aspired to be Mac-like without Microsoft ever really
understanding what that even means.  - Robert Cringely
0
Joe
7/13/2004 3:42:42 AM
In article <joe-FD627B.23424212072004@news03.east.earthlink.net>,
 Joe Shimkus <joe@shimkus.com> wrote:

> > The Book:  Cocoa Programming For Mac OS X
> > The Author: Aaron Hillegass
> > The Price: doesn't matter, you need this book!
>
> Make certain to get the 2nd edition.

 Not that the first edition wasn't good or anything, it's still great,
but the second edition covers some new stuff introduced with 10.3, and
it also contains descriptions for xCode, which works different enough
from the old Project Builder of the 1st Ed. to throw you off.

 If you've already worked with PB and xCode and have no problems moving
between them, you can probably live with the 1st Edition if you get a
cheap price. But for a beginner having a current book is definitely
better. It'll save you some headaches.

Cheers,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de
0
Uli

Programmers, Programmers, Programmers, ...
As Steve Balmer correctly stated, while making his monkey dance, it is applications and hence programmers that make a platform. The fact though is that if you want to do professional programming, then Linux is the platform for you. I know that this statement will get the heckels up on a lot of trolls in C.O.L.A, but I have a recent experience that proves this. I am currently working for a Windows only house producing a system that receives and transmits around 1000 telegrams per second in each direction on a UDP socket, translates them into a different format and creates a log entry for each ...

Re: New OS X Programmer
Have a try with 'Cocoa-Java' (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mpergand/ - mpergan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.codecomments.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Launch a programm at turn off Mac OS X
Hi and Hello, I'd like to know whether it is possible to execute on action when the user decided to switch its Mac OS X off. I'd like to save data according to a definite and precise script. So, when the computer is switched off, I need to launch the program and execute a specific configured file before letting the computer getting off. Help will be very appreciated. Thank you... Xavier In article <1524d7a.0310012243.2786abd9@posting.google.com>, xavier.barmaz@epfl.ch (barmxavi) wrote: > I'd like to know whether it is possible to execute on action when the > user...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

Help needed : Mac OS X & OS 9.x and Windows-Server
Until now we are using different Mac's running OS 9.1 and 9.2 and save our files on a Windows 2000 Server via MacServerIP (AFP over IP). In the next time we like to upgrade to OS X. Our problem: Files saved on the Server from OS 9 via AFP will be recognized by OS X as "Document" without application information. I tried to connect the Server via SMB and otherwise via AFP. When I manually used AFP ("afp://<servername>") the volume becomes visible, but if I try to select on file the file will be go away. Next time I connect to the volume the file is visible again. U...

Looking for an At Ease alike programme for Mac OS X
Hi! I'm Looking for an At Ease alike programme for Mac OS X, I figure that it would be almost a nightmare for changing ownership and permission over and over, and still having to think about the System Preferences and the rest. Have any clue on that, How should I do a perfect system wide protection and a simple configuration for me to maintain and for my kids to play and discover. By the way I tryed to create a "Parents" group in the /etc/group file with something like Parents:*:88;me,wife where the 88 is... (I think unaccountable ? - must be 20?) and the *, I saw ::, without * ...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Programmer needed to modify Mac OS X PPD file...
Hello, I need to hire a Mac programmer to modify a PPD file for a Hewlett Packard Color LaserJet 4600DN printer. I'm trying to set the printer so that print jobs are sent to a paper tray other than Tray 1 when using the "Standard" preset. Please send contact and job estimate information to Peter by email at petsic@bellnet.ca. I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you, Sincerely, PGS In article <BD821686.F98%petsic@bellnet.ca>, TechnicAid(TM) <petsic@bellnet.ca> wrote: > Hello, > > I need to hire a Mac programmer to modif...

Windows programmer needs direction for Mac OS X development
Hello, I am a Windows C/C++ and DirectX programmer who has migrated to Mac OS completely to do video game programming. I am running Mac OS 10.4.2. As I am new to Mac programming I would appreciate some direction. On Windows I code using the Win32 API and DirectX with a programmer's text editor rather than a full IDE. I do my compiling and linking via command line using Microsoft's own compiler tools. I do not use MFC or other higher level classes, nor do I create my interfaces using an interface building app. Ideally, I'd like to keep working in this style since I'm more productive this way. It gives me more control and enables me to produce smaller, cleaner code. So with this in mind... 1. What exactly is Xcode? I see that it is GCC 4.0 plus an IDE and a few GUI dev tools; but is it just a programming environment like Visual Studio, or is it something more? If it is more, do I lose anything by using it in terms of portability and performance. 2. Is there a flexible and practical programming environment on Mac that is preferred for cross-platform game development with OpenGL and SDL? 3. Does writing Cocoa mean writing apps that are non-portable to Windows? 4. On Windows, MFC can make certain programming tasks easier, but it is often messy, resulting in bloated and buggy code. Does a similar situation exist with Cocoa and Carbon? Should I aim to code close to the API? Am I thinking about this the right way? 5. ...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

new Mac OS X malware: Mac/Cowhand-A
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/maccowhanda.html Advanced Description: "Mac/Cowhand-A is a proxy Trojan for the Mac OSX platform. The Trojan may copy itself to the user's Preferences folder. In order to run itself on startup, the Trojan may add itself to the user's Startup Items." Side-effects: "Allows others to access the computer" In article <1114501726.014725.196610@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Super Spinner" <pepesmythe@hotmail.com> wrote: > http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/maccowhanda.html > > Advanced ...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

FS: Mac OS X v10.2 and Mac OS X v10.3 (Panther)
clearing up my storeroom. we have moved to tiger. OS10.2 are the original two cds from apple OS10.3 (Panther) are the original three cds from apple. prices: best offer -- getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence - jules feifer to email me, delete syzygy. from my return address ...

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. &...

Mac Security: New: Mac OS X Security Configuration Guides
Come and get them! Apple and the NSA (National Security Agency) of the USA have collaborated on two Mac OS X Security Configuration Guides. They are dated 2/15/2007. One is for Mac OS X Server 10.4 Tiger and the other is for the client version of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. You can obtain both documents in PDF format at: <http://www.apple.com/server/documentation/> Ars Technica did a quick review of the document: Apple posts NSA-approved Tiger security configuration guides By Iljitsch van Beijnum | Published: March 20, 2007 - 02:48PM CT <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2...

HELP Mac OS-X USB HID problems... PLEASE HELP!
Hi, I am developing a non standard (i.e. non mouse keyboard type) HID device to act as a interface between the Microchip 2550 PIC and a Mac running OS-X (10.3.9). I have managed to develop a HID app working under Windows OS, but I'm having trouble with the Mac implementation. The Mac sees and reports the device correctly - an 'ioreg' listing shows that all the parameters are as expected. The only exception is the element list which seems to be huge and largely composed of element params which are a little odd, however, I've seen a similar list on the keyboard so I&...

[tao-bugs] x.6.4 needs new definitions for Mac OS X
ACE VERSION: 6.1.4 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac OS X Lion COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.12) (based on LLVM 3.0svn) Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.0 Thread model: posix THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE: #define ACE_LACKS_CLOCKID_T #define ACE_LACKS_CLOCK_MONOTONIC #define ACE_LACKS_CLOCK_REALTIME #include "ace/config-macosx-lion.h" THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE: buildbits=64 universal=0 install_rpath=0 inline=1 shared_libs_only=1 ssl=...

Web resources about - New OS X Programmer - comp.sys.mac.programmer.help

Programmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A programmer , computer programmer , developer , coder , or software engineer is a person who writes computer software . The term computer programmer ...

Programmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A programmer , computer programmer , developer , coder , or software engineer is a person who writes computer software . The term computer programmer ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-b

Managing Programmers
Programmers are not like the other kids. They cannot and should not be managed like normal people if your intent is to produce high quality software. ...

Programmer who aided financial malware to be sent home to Latvia
(credit: Davide Restivo ) The Latvian programmer who was involved in the creation of the Gozi virus—what American authorities called " one of ...

A programmer turned sci-fi author has predicted that robots could outnumber humans as early as 2040
... post published yesterday by an artificial intelligence expert that is penning a new science fiction novel. Logan Streondj, a software programmer ...

Prominent Programmer Dies In Apparent Suicide After Violent Encounter With San Francisco Police
A prominent member of the open source programming community died in an apparent suicide on Monday, days after a violent encounter with San Francisco ...

Programmers: It’s time to tame Python
If you’re pursuing a career in coding, you’re going to have to reckon with Python, one of the most popular programming languages in use. A valuable ...

Uber Hires Programmers Who Can Win A Fight With Their Robot
Tech companies like Uber and Dropbox are using CodeFights, a platform that enables programmers to compete with one another to solve coding challenges, ...

Fighting ‘ticket bots’: Washington AG says it’s too early to tweak state law to protect altruistic programmers ...
... to pillage vast amount of show tickets. Rep. Jesse Young, R- Gig Harbor, has introduced a bill to slightly change that law to protect programmers ...