Objc Nubie: Errors Errors Errors

I've been toying with learning ObjC/Cocoa for sometime and finally got
over the hump of "brackets vs. braces" but am wondering why my little
test throws so many warnings when run:

// gcc FileTest.m -o FileTest -ObjC -framework Cocoa

#include <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>
#include <Foundation/Foundation.h>

int main( void ) {
	NSString * str = [ [NSStringalloc]
          initWithString:@"~/samplefromcocoa.txt" ];

	NSString * full = [ NSString stringWithString:
	 [str stringByExpandingTildeInPath ] ];

	if( [ [NSFileManager defaultManager] fileExistsAtPath:full ] ) {
		NSLog( @"File %@ exists", str );
	} else {
         	NSString * contents = [ [NSString alloc]
                  initWithString:@"Created by FileTest.m" ];
         	BOOL didWrite =
		 [contents writeToFile:full atomically:NO];

	        if( didWrite ) {
         	    NSLog( @"Creating File %@", str );
         	} else {
             	NSLog( @"Unable to create file %@", str );
         	}
	}

	return 0;
}

when run and it has to write the string to disk>

2004-02-11 08:27:03.882 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
Object 0x50d6f0 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
just leaking
2004-02-11 08:27:03.885 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
Object 0x50dc80 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place
- just leaking
2004-02-11 08:27:03.887 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
Object 0x50dc10 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place
- just leaking
2004-02-11 08:27:03.889 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
Object 0x50f840 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
just leaking
2004-02-11 08:27:03.892 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
Object 0x50faf0 of class NSURL autoreleased with no pool in place - just
leaking
2004-02-11 08:27:03.900 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
Object 0xa019651c of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place
- just leaking
2004-02-11 08:27:03.902 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
Object 0x50f840 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
just leaking
2004-02-11 08:27:03.906 FileTest[2082] Creating File ~/samplefromcocoa.txt

so can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks in advance!

0
John
2/11/2004 1:35:09 PM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help 4653 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <hcqWb.54958$n62.28942@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
user@example.net says...
> I've been toying with learning ObjC/Cocoa for sometime and finally got
> over the hump of "brackets vs. braces" but am wondering why my little
> test throws so many warnings when run:

[snip code]

> 2004-02-11 08:27:03.882 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
> Object 0x50d6f0 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
> just leaking
> 2004-02-11 08:27:03.885 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
> Object 0x50dc80 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place
> - just leaking
> 2004-02-11 08:27:03.887 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
> Object 0x50dc10 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place
> - just leaking
> 2004-02-11 08:27:03.889 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
> Object 0x50f840 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
> just leaking
> 2004-02-11 08:27:03.892 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
> Object 0x50faf0 of class NSURL autoreleased with no pool in place - just

> so can anyone give me a clue?

The compiler is giving out lots of clues! The warningsa are telling you
that you don't have an autorelease pool. To fix this put this line right
at the top of main():

 NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

and this one just before main() returns:

 [pool release];
0
James
2/11/2004 1:42:24 PM
 John Smith <user@example.net> wrote:

> 2004-02-11 08:27:03.882 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
> Object 0x50d6f0 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
> just leaking

Given that you get this error seven times-- maybe it'd be worthwhile
reading up on NSAutoreleasePool to see if you can make sense of it.  :-)

Seriously, the semantics of retain/release and autorelease are something
you're going to have to get a good handle on if you're going to be
writing ObjC on Mac OS X, and a full explanation is really more than I
can give in a Usenet post.  The short answer is that you need to create
an NSAutoreleasePool before you call methods like +[NSString
stringWithString].  But you really need to learn why that's the case,
and that's where reading up a bit will be worth the effort.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 2.0:  Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.
John Smith <user@example.net> wrote:

> I've been toying with learning ObjC/Cocoa for sometime and finally got
> over the hump of "brackets vs. braces" but am wondering why my little
> test throws so many warnings when run:
>
> // gcc FileTest.m -o FileTest -ObjC -framework Cocoa
>
> #include <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>
> #include <Foundation/Foundation.h>
>
> int main( void ) {
>       NSString * str = [ [NSStringalloc]
>           initWithString:@"~/samplefromcocoa.txt" ];
>
>       NSString * full = [ NSString stringWithString:
>        [str stringByExpandingTildeInPath ] ];

[..]

>       return 0;
> }
>
> when run and it has to write the string to disk>
>
> 2004-02-11 08:27:03.882 FileTest[2082] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool():
> Object 0x50d6f0 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
> just leaking
[..]

> so can anyone give me a clue?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Cocoa assumes an NSAutoreleasePool exists in the current runloop. So put
one there. It's really easy.

Convenience class methods, such as +stringWithString:, add their result
to the autorelease pool, so as to make memory management more...
convenient. :-) That's why NSCFString is complaining that there's no
pool, so it never gets released. Your code is leaking one NSCFString
(and the other objects in your error log).

Read up about memory management:
<http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Technical/HoldMe.html>
0
usenet
2/12/2004 12:10:18 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Somehow (like I'm an idiot) I missed a few key points in the memory
management sections. I back delved them after reading Paul's link
and low and behold, NSAutoReleasePool stated a few times in large
friendly letters.

Guess this java bum needs to do more reading than experimenting ;)

Thanks all!

Paul Mitchum wrote:
 >>> Message Truncated <<<
 >>Read up about memory management:
 >><http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Technical/HoldMe.html>

0
John
2/12/2004 5:36:28 AM
I would just add that if you create a new project in Xcode using the type
"Cocoa Application", a bunch of work will be done for you. It creates an
NSApplication object which has a default autorelease pool, so you then don't
have to create and destroy your own (although you still can for
finer-grained control -- it is possible to have nested autorelease pools).

Also (nitpick here), people usually put the pointer symbol with either the
type or the name:

NSString *str;
NSString* str;

I prefer the latter as I think it makes it more clear that the type is
"string pointer" but people will argue that. Apple clearly prefers the
former, and you can see that in parameter definition lists they even insert
a space:

theString:(NSString *)str
0
HiRez
2/14/2004 11:01:28 PM
In article <hirez-C81BE2.15012814022004@news-50.ash.giganews.com>,
 HiRez <hirez@render.net> wrote:

> I would just add that if you create a new project in Xcode using the type
> "Cocoa Application", a bunch of work will be done for you. It creates an
> NSApplication object which has a default autorelease pool, so you then don't
> have to create and destroy your own (although you still can for
> finer-grained control -- it is possible to have nested autorelease pools).
>
> Also (nitpick here), people usually put the pointer symbol with either the
> type or the name:
>
> NSString *str;
> NSString* str;
>
> I prefer the latter as I think it makes it more clear that the type is
> "string pointer" but people will argue that.

Many people prefer the former because semantically, the asterisk groups
with the variable, not with the type; in "int* a, b" b is an int, not a
pointer to int.

Reinder
0
Reinder
2/15/2004 10:02:40 AM
In article <reinder-C2FB45.11024015022004@reader11.wxs.nl>,
 Reinder Verlinde <reinder@verlinde.invalid> wrote:

> Many people prefer the former because semantically, the asterisk groups
> with the variable, not with the type; in "int* a, b" b is an int, not a
> pointer to int.

Yes, but I would submit to you that the syntax you show above, mixing
multiple types in a single declaration line, is error-prone and potentially
confusing, and is unnecessary. "int *a, b" is no better IMHO, whereas:

int* a; (or int *a;)
int b;

removes all doubt.
0
HiRez
2/15/2004 5:45:27 PM
Reinder Verlinde <reinder@verlinde.invalid> wrote in message news:<reinder-C2FB45.11024015022004@reader11.wxs.nl>...
> In article <hirez-C81BE2.15012814022004@news-50.ash.giganews.com>,
>  HiRez <hirez@render.net> wrote:
> > Also (nitpick here), people usually put the pointer symbol with either the
> > type or the name:
> >
> > NSString *str;
> > NSString* str;
> >
> > I prefer the latter as I think it makes it more clear that the type is
> > "string pointer" but people will argue that.
>
> Many people prefer the former because semantically, the asterisk groups
> with the variable, not with the type; in "int* a, b" b is an int, not a
> pointer to int.

The problem with the second syntax is that it mixes very poorly with
initializers. For example,

  int *p = NULL;

looks very much like it's saying that *p = NULL. This is a case where
semantically, the asterisk groups with the type.

Andrew
0
aduncan

When is an error not an error?
The Java language specification claims in: 8.8.7.1 Explicit Constructor Invocations .... "If an anonymous class instance creation expression appears within an explicit constructor invocation statement, then the anonymous class may not refer to any of the enclosing instances of the class whose constructor is being invoked." Helpfully it gives an example: "For example: class Top { int x; class Dummy { Dummy(Object o) {} } class Inside extends Dummy { Inside() { super(new Object() { int r = x; }); // err...

error or not an error ...
I was just testing out the R4 REXX thingy, and it found an error in the following program. My question is this, is it an error or not? My PC/REXX and Regina don't barf on it, but I thought they should've. _____________________________________________ /**/ ?.='' ?.z='batman' trace i if ?.z\==''then do; say '?.z=' ?.z; end ______________________________________________ Note that there is space before the THEN. I'm not sure of the exact rules for parsing an IF statement, I know that THEN is a "reserved" keyword when an IF statement is...

When is an error not an error?
When it's OSS slopware, of course. http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Knode_send_error.png On 2006-09-12 02:42, * DFS wrote: > When it's OSS slopware, of course. > > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Knode_send_error.png > Well, some time ago I had a problem with OE - too long reference line to other posts, and OE of course refused to send... then crashed. Should I name it a feature? -- Andrea On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 03:25:29 +0200, Andrea wrote: > On 2006-09-12 02:42, * DFS wrote: >> When it's OSS slopware, of course. >> >> http:/...

(assert-error) tests errors and error messages
I wrote (assert-error) to make sure that a function generates an error, and verify the error message. What do you think? Below is the definition and a few test cases, for Emacs 22.1.50. (require 'cl) (defmacro assert-error (form &optional regexp) "FORM must signal an error. Signal an error otherwise. Additionally, the error message must match REGEXP. Case is ignored while matching REGEXP." (let ((msg (make-symbol "msg")) (ok (make-symbol "ok")) (res (make-symbol "res"))) `(let ((,ok nil)) (condition-case err ...

Error directing BCP In errors to error file
Greetings, I am trying to bcp in data to a table which is in different server . Though the bcp in works fine but the error file is not being created and rejected records are not being directyd to the error file. Query looks like: bcp <db>..test_b_plan_cp in /home/file_out.txt -c -t '|' -S *****-U ****** -P ******-I /home/bcp2db_sql.ini -e /home/bcp2db.error. Can someone please help? TIA. Regards, Rajpreet ...

error C2106: error C2057 :error C3304:
I have faced intrinsic errors "error C2106 / error C2057 / error C3304" in Visual studio 2008. Though the source files have included with header files like "math.h" and "ctype.h", compilation gives error as given below. 2>c:\apps\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\string.h(48) : error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value 2>c:\apps\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\string.h(48) : error C2057: expected constant expression 2>c:\apps\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\string.h(48) : error C3304: 'PreAttribute': at...

Error Directing BCP In Errors to error file
Greetings, I am trying to bcp in data to a table which is in different server. Though the bcp in works fine but the error file is not being created and rejected records are not being directyd to the error file. Query looks like: bcp <db>..test_b_plan_cp in /home/file_out.txt -c -t '|' -S *****-U ****** -P ******-I /home/bcp2db_sql.ini -e /home/bcp2db.error. Can someone please help? TIA. Regards, Rajpreet ...

Error 8 Compilation Error. File permission error or DMA hardware error detected
I just upgraded my Labview code to Labview 8.5 from LV8.2.1 Then I tried to compile&nbsp;my code to get an .exe file I keep getting the following error, &nbsp; Visit the Request Support page at ni.com/ask to learn more about resolving this problem. Use the following information as a reference: Error 8 occurred at Write to Text File in AB_Engine_Update_INI_Header.vi-&gt;AB_Application.lvclass:Create_INI_File.vi-&gt;AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi-&gt;AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi-&gt;AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi-&gt;AB_Build.lvclass:Build_from_Wizard.vi-&gt;AB_UI_FR...

E2900 error on boot: TL = 1, TT = 32. ERROR: Data Access Error -- Help??
Can someone help decipher this error below? Had Sun CE install 32Gb memory into 2 system boards (64Gb total), and now we are getting this error. We tried powering it back up with each system board individually, and get same error no matter which board is in, or both. So we're pretty sure it's not a single dimm that is the problem Sun Fire E2900 OpenFirmware version 5.19.4 (01/19/06 18:06) Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms. SmartFirmware, Copyright (C) 1996-2001. All rights reserved. 32768 MB memory installed, TL = 1, TT = 32....

E2900 error on boot: TL = 1, TT = 32. ERROR: Data Access Error -- Help?? #2
Can someone help decipher this error below? Had Sun CE install 32Gb memory into 2 system boards (64Gb total), and now we are getting this error. We tried powering it back up with each system board individually, and get same error no matter which board is in, or both. So we're pretty sure it's not a single dimm that is the problem Sun Fire E2900 OpenFirmware version 5.19.4 (01/19/06 18:06) Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms. SmartFirmware, Copyright (C) 1996-2001. All rights reserved. 32768 MB memory installed, TL = 1, TT = 3...

error: error sending
Hi, I hope somebody can help me. For sending mail I configured alpine with the following line: smtp.web.de/tls/user=xxxxxxx@web.de . But every time I tried the message "error sending" occured. To figure out more details I added the parameter debug, but there was no file .pine-debug. After reading the manual I tried: alpine -d 5 and got the message: Argument Error: unknown flag "d", debugging not compiled in Before downloading the source and compile it by my self, I thought I should ask you guys for help. My pine version: alpine-2.00-5.fc11.i586 Best regards Chris...

Error code when there is no error??
In my source I have: wndclass.hIcon = LoadIcon (hInstance, "test") ; test.ico is a valid icon. file. Everythig works ok. But when I test for an error like this: ShowLastError(); // no problems here wndclass.hIcon = LoadIcon (hInstance, "test") ; ShowLastError(); // I get "The system cannot find the file specidied" wndclass.hIcon get a valid handle. Here is my ShowLastError program: VOID ShowLastError(void) { LPVOID lpMsgBuf; DWORD error_code; int status; char sa1[1024]; error_code = Get...

SQL Errors: Where is the error?
I have just finished -- I hope I have finished -- some changes to one program of mine that has some hairy SQL. One of the SQL statments is 40 lines long. Granted it could be shorter vertically, but it is still 852 characters long. Occasionally -- read "All too often" -- while wrestling with this program, there would be an error in my SQL syntax. VFP is not terribly helpful with such error messages as Syntax error. Command is missing required clause. These are not terribly useful. Sometimes, I have hunted for minutes before realising that...

error in, error out clusters.
Dear all, &nbsp; I am new user for Labview software. I try to create a Visa Configuration Serial Port but, the error occurred, message&nbsp;as: &nbsp; "You have two or more cluster data types wired together, but the clusters have different kinds or numbers of elements.Cluster Cluster 2, a cluster of 1 element, conflicts with cluster error in (no error), a cluster of 3 elements." &nbsp; My cluster include the function of: 1) boolean Properties 2) Numeric Properties 3) String Properties &nbsp; Q:&nbsp;how to create these 3 function in&nbsp;cluster? ...

Robust error handling, an error while handling another error
I've been having this discussion a lot with my colleagues at work. A buffered file writer is the classic example. #include <fstream> int main() { std::ofstream fout("foo.txt"); if ( ! fout) return 1; //write important data to file //let the destructor implicitly close the file handle } The ofstream destructor will call flush then free the file handle, return it to the operating system. However, flush can fail. The disk can be full, for example. When flush fails, it sets a state flag, but there is no opportunity for the user to examine this state fl...

Error upon Error...
anyone seen this error before: > Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/auto/DB_File/DB_File.sl' for module DB_File: No such file or directory at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/XSLoader.pm line 83. > at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/DB_File.pm line 236 I'm just trying to run this script: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use DB_File; print "Hello World!\n" all three of the files exist on the system....why is it saying this. (there are a few scripts that I have that want to use DB_File and they all say this.... that's why I j...

@@Error not catching error.
Hi all, I want to catch error in stored procedure and return error message. I want to catch error 'Syntax error converting the varchar value 'a' to a column of data type int.' Means error occuring if i enter wrong value. Say suppose i have statment like select * from emp where rowid = 'a' PRINT @@ERROR print 'reach' here rowid is integer value so i am getting above mention error. So what i am expecting is it should print error and then print 'reach' which is not happening. can anyone tell me reason behind this and how to overcome this problem. than...

timemachine error 11 (Error: (-36), Error: (-50))
I have a problem with Time machine exiting with error 11 rcently. > 6/8/09 3:26:32 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[795] Starting standard backup > 6/8/09 3:26:32 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[795] Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb > 6/8/09 3:27:37 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[795] No pre-backup thinning needed: 52.59 GB requested (including padding), 87.39 GB available > 6/8/09 3:28:57 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[795] Copied 1543 files (65.7 MB) from volume VadeMACum BootHD. > 6/8/09 3:48:09 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[795] Error: (-36) SrcErr:YES Copying /Volumes/HD3/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmdk to (null) > 6/8/09 3:48:09 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[795] Error: (-50) SrcErr:NO Copying /Volumes/HD3/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmdk to /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/vademacum/2009-07-30-163253.inProgress/4AE47B8C-446F-494C-A823-F38BDA3C3F11/HD3/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm > 6/8/09 3:48:09 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[795] Stopping backup. > 6/8/09 3:48:09 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[795] Error: (-8062) SrcErr:NO Copying /Volumes/HD3/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmdk to /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/vademacum/2009-07-30-163253.inProgress/4A...

error C2197 error
Hello I am getting this error: error C2197: 'long (__stdcall *)(void)' : too many actual parameters Error executing cl.exe. The offending line is: if ((lResult = (*pfnGetProviderList)(0x00020000, pProviderList)) != 0) // this one { goto ProviderInstall_freeProviderList; } I am converting this C code into C++. Is the problem that compiler does not understand the parameters required for pfnGetProviderList? How can I fix? Angus wrote: > Hello > > I am getting this error: > > error C2197: 'long (__stdcall *)(void)' : too m...

error with ERROR function
Hi all, I'm getting an error when I use the "error" function. Here is the error message: ---------------------------------------- ??? Index exceeds matrix dimensions. Error in ==> C:\MATLAB6p5p1\mese\user_functions\ssave.m On line 765 ==> error('ERROR e43: Initial Operating Point file cannot be found'); ---------------------------------------- What matrix is it refering to? thanks, SK "Saif K" <buckeyeforever2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eee53de.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Hi all, > > I'm getting an error when I use the &quo...

Error log - error help
Hello, I am still a nooby to web server admin. I have just recently been getting these access log entries and am not sure what they are. Is another web site redirecting through mine? Any insight would be greatful. I am running apache 2.046 on an SGI O2 running Irix 6.5.22. Thanks "These are my normal page access lines" **.20.139.124 - - [06/Mar/2005:08:54:45 -0800] "GET /Graphics/Boise%20pillow.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 50372 **.20.139.124 - - [06/Mar/2005:08:54:45 -0800] "GET /Graphics/Basket%20pillows.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 46069 **.20.139.124 - - [06/Mar/...

WANTED: Rescue disk Mac SE "Sys Error" "Address Error"
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Th...

MAC SE: "Bomb" "Sys Error" / Address error" at start
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Then a dialogue...

can someone help me to fix this error(Error using ==> kmeans at 382 An empty cluster error occurred in every replicate)
??? Error using ==> kmeans at 382 An empty cluster error occurred in every replicate. Error in ==> segmentizeImage1 at 25 [cluster_idx cluster_center] = kmeans(ab,nColors,'distance','sqEuclidean', ... Error in ==> bui_simple>start_snap_Callback at 108 segmentizeImage1; Error in ==> gui_mainfcn at 96 feval(varargin{:}); Error in ==> bui_simple at 42 gui_mainfcn(gui_State, varargin{:}); Error in ==> @(hObject,eventdata)bui_simple('start_snap_Callback',hObject,eventdata,guidata(hObject)) ??? Error while evaluating uicontrol Callback ...

Web resources about - Objc Nubie: Errors Errors Errors - comp.sys.mac.programmer.help