-
mpergan

mpergand
7/1/2004 8:00:18 PM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help 4653 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Programmers, Programmers, Programmers, ...
As Steve Balmer correctly stated, while making his monkey dance, it is applications and hence programmers that make a platform. The fact though is that if you want to do professional programming, then Linux is the platform for you. I know that this statement will get the heckels up on a lot of trolls in C.O.L.A, but I have a recent experience that proves this. I am currently working for a Windows only house producing a system that receives and transmits around 1000 telegrams per second in each direction on a UDP socket, translates them into a different format and creates a log entry for each ...

New OS X Programmer
Hey all. I just purchased a powerbook a couple weeks ago, and a interested in learning macos programming. I know a bit of c, and a bi of java, as well as some other stuff like perl and php. From what i'v heard, most people seem to think Cocoa with objective c is the best wa for beginners.... Can anyone point me in the direction of any goo resources such as books or websites for me to start with? Like i sai i know C very superficially and know objective c almost none at all. Thanks in advance - iva ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.codecomments.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ivai wrote: > Hey all. I just purchased a powerbook a couple weeks ago, and am > interested in learning macos programming. I know a bit of c, and a bit > of java, as well as some other stuff like perl and php. From what i've > heard, most people seem to think Cocoa with objective c is the best way > for beginners.... Can anyone point me in the direction of any good > resources such as books or websites for me to start with? Like i said > i know C very superficially and know objective c almost none at all. > Thanks in advance. I, and I suspect many others (and I'm just starting to learn Cocoa as well) would recommend the Hillegass book (Cocoa: Programming for OS X). Superb introduction to Mac programming with Cocoa/Objective C....

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

Launch a programm at turn off Mac OS X
Hi and Hello, I'd like to know whether it is possible to execute on action when the user decided to switch its Mac OS X off. I'd like to save data according to a definite and precise script. So, when the computer is switched off, I need to launch the program and execute a specific configured file before letting the computer getting off. Help will be very appreciated. Thank you... Xavier In article <1524d7a.0310012243.2786abd9@posting.google.com>, xavier.barmaz@epfl.ch (barmxavi) wrote: > I'd like to know whether it is possible to execute on action when the > user...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

Help needed : Mac OS X & OS 9.x and Windows-Server
Until now we are using different Mac's running OS 9.1 and 9.2 and save our files on a Windows 2000 Server via MacServerIP (AFP over IP). In the next time we like to upgrade to OS X. Our problem: Files saved on the Server from OS 9 via AFP will be recognized by OS X as "Document" without application information. I tried to connect the Server via SMB and otherwise via AFP. When I manually used AFP ("afp://<servername>") the volume becomes visible, but if I try to select on file the file will be go away. Next time I connect to the volume the file is visible again. U...

Looking for an At Ease alike programme for Mac OS X
Hi! I'm Looking for an At Ease alike programme for Mac OS X, I figure that it would be almost a nightmare for changing ownership and permission over and over, and still having to think about the System Preferences and the rest. Have any clue on that, How should I do a perfect system wide protection and a simple configuration for me to maintain and for my kids to play and discover. By the way I tryed to create a "Parents" group in the /etc/group file with something like Parents:*:88;me,wife where the 88 is... (I think unaccountable ? - must be 20?) and the *, I saw ::, without * ...

Help! Cannot no more authentify after re-install Mac OS X!
My son's eMac had some woes since a time -- for instance, he was obliged to force-quit the Preview app. Now, the eMac stops during the startup process while searching for "application services"! Happily, I have also a bootable firewire disk (thanks to CCC :-)) The eMac can boot on the firewire disk. Good. So, I introduced the Install CD. First Aid didn't see anything wrong... But the eMac persists in stopping at "application services" at boot time. At last I re-install OS X (original 10.2.4) I take care to check "backup users" At startup, this ����$^m...

RE: Help on building an App on Mac OS X
Hi you can either build from the console, or use the provided XCode project files (ending in .xcode) there is one for the library and one for the minimal sample which you can use as starting point. If you are familiar with the linux environment then the console should be easiest, just follow the instructions in docs/ , if not then xcode is probably closer to that you are used to. HTH Stefan > -----Original Message----- > From: Xu, Ming (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [mailto:mxu@ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] > Sent: Montag, 16. Mai 2005 19:07 > To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org > Subje...

Programmer needed to modify Mac OS X PPD file...
Hello, I need to hire a Mac programmer to modify a PPD file for a Hewlett Packard Color LaserJet 4600DN printer. I'm trying to set the printer so that print jobs are sent to a paper tray other than Tray 1 when using the "Standard" preset. Please send contact and job estimate information to Peter by email at petsic@bellnet.ca. I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you, Sincerely, PGS In article <BD821686.F98%petsic@bellnet.ca>, TechnicAid(TM) <petsic@bellnet.ca> wrote: > Hello, > > I need to hire a Mac programmer to modif...

Re: Need help for wxMac compiling on Mac OS X
I tried getting the wxMac 2.4 branch from CVS but was unsuccessful. Would the syntax be something like the following:? % cvs checkout -r WX_2_4_BRANCH wxMac Thanks, Robert Terwilliger --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwindows.org ...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Windows programmer needs direction for Mac OS X development
Hello, I am a Windows C/C++ and DirectX programmer who has migrated to Mac OS completely to do video game programming. I am running Mac OS 10.4.2. As I am new to Mac programming I would appreciate some direction. On Windows I code using the Win32 API and DirectX with a programmer's text editor rather than a full IDE. I do my compiling and linking via command line using Microsoft's own compiler tools. I do not use MFC or other higher level classes, nor do I create my interfaces using an interface building app. Ideally, I'd like to keep working in this style since I'm more productive this way. It gives me more control and enables me to produce smaller, cleaner code. So with this in mind... 1. What exactly is Xcode? I see that it is GCC 4.0 plus an IDE and a few GUI dev tools; but is it just a programming environment like Visual Studio, or is it something more? If it is more, do I lose anything by using it in terms of portability and performance. 2. Is there a flexible and practical programming environment on Mac that is preferred for cross-platform game development with OpenGL and SDL? 3. Does writing Cocoa mean writing apps that are non-portable to Windows? 4. On Windows, MFC can make certain programming tasks easier, but it is often messy, resulting in bloated and buggy code. Does a similar situation exist with Cocoa and Carbon? Should I aim to code close to the API? Am I thinking about this the right way? 5. ...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Re: Re: X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
on 08/14/03 5:07 AM, Lot-o-fun at lotofun@hotmail.com wrote: >> Seems as if what you really want is an X11 front end. Then you do as >> 'normal', i.e., fire up the local front end and have it talk to the kernel >> on the Mac. Unless you're really wanting the Mac to be sending the >> window/graphics info, i.e. run an X11 front end on the Mac but have it >> display on the other machine. In that case, I'm completely clueless (though >> my guess is that it can't be done that way). > > An X11 front end that runs on the Mac ...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Re: [LogoForum] Re: Mac OS X
I got a job at a middle school to teach Logo as an enrichment activity. The have new Macs and use System 9 and OS 10. The computer technician said that when he installed ucblogo it crashed or was not recognized as a program at all by the security system. He can not turn the security off your install X Window System because the children. Do you have any suggestions? Emily Wong ----- Original Message ----- From: Daniel Ajoy <dajoy@openworldlearning.org> To: <logoForum@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 11:32 AM Subject: [LogoForum] Re: Mac OS X > I guess this is...

Re: right-click drag for Modal Model on Mac OS Xright-click drag for Modal Model on Mac OS X
Hi Martin, Ah, the right click problem. I don't have ready access to a Mac, so it is difficult for me to fix this. If someone wants to give me a Mac . . . :-) You could try building from the current CVS tree and see if that helps. See http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal Kepler 1.0-beta should be out sometime soon, they have a number of Mac users and have built from a very recent version of the Ptolemy tree, so the problem might be fixed there. See http://www.kepler-project.org I'd like to see if the problem occurs in the CVS head or in Kepler before proceeding ...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

new Mac OS X malware: Mac/Cowhand-A
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/maccowhanda.html Advanced Description: "Mac/Cowhand-A is a proxy Trojan for the Mac OSX platform. The Trojan may copy itself to the user's Preferences folder. In order to run itself on startup, the Trojan may add itself to the user's Startup Items." Side-effects: "Allows others to access the computer" In article <1114501726.014725.196610@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Super Spinner" <pepesmythe@hotmail.com> wrote: > http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/maccowhanda.html > > Advanced ...

Web resources about - Re: New OS X Programmer - comp.sys.mac.programmer.help

Programmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A programmer , computer programmer , developer , coder , or software engineer is a person who writes computer software . The term computer programmer ...

Programmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A programmer , computer programmer , developer , coder , or software engineer is a person who writes computer software . The term computer programmer ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-b

Managing Programmers
Programmers are not like the other kids. They cannot and should not be managed like normal people if your intent is to produce high quality software. ...

Programmer who aided financial malware to be sent home to Latvia
(credit: Davide Restivo ) The Latvian programmer who was involved in the creation of the Gozi virus—what American authorities called " one of ...

A programmer turned sci-fi author has predicted that robots could outnumber humans as early as 2040
... post published yesterday by an artificial intelligence expert that is penning a new science fiction novel. Logan Streondj, a software programmer ...

Prominent Programmer Dies In Apparent Suicide After Violent Encounter With San Francisco Police
A prominent member of the open source programming community died in an apparent suicide on Monday, days after a violent encounter with San Francisco ...

Programmers: It’s time to tame Python
If you’re pursuing a career in coding, you’re going to have to reckon with Python, one of the most popular programming languages in use. A valuable ...

Uber Hires Programmers Who Can Win A Fight With Their Robot
Tech companies like Uber and Dropbox are using CodeFights, a platform that enables programmers to compete with one another to solve coding challenges, ...

Fighting ‘ticket bots’: Washington AG says it’s too early to tweak state law to protect altruistic programmers ...
... to pillage vast amount of show tickets. Rep. Jesse Young, R- Gig Harbor, has introduced a bill to slightly change that law to protect programmers ...