Free software development?

I'm a Linux guy. But I've occasionally had to write things for
Windows, so I use tools like MinGW that provide a full toolchain for
Windows development. I'd like to write stuff for Apple devices as
well.

I've spent several hours Googling, but I can't find any straight
answer to what seems like a simple question to me: is there any
toolchain for doing MacOS and/or iOS free software development?
Everything I've seen (like THEOS, OpenDev) requires XCode, and XCode
requires I agree to their terms of service that limit what I'm allowed
to do with my own code. There used to be a thing called GCC installer,
but it seems to have been abandoned in favor of something called
"command line tools", which requires an Apple ID (and therefore
agreement with Apple TOS) to download.

So, is there any way to develop free software for OSX or IOS without
making myself Apple's bitch?
0
lcrocker
5/24/2013 9:46:24 AM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.tools 504 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

lcrocker wrote:

> I'm a Linux guy. But I've occasionally had to write things for
> Windows, so I use tools like MinGW that provide a full toolchain for
> Windows development. I'd like to write stuff for Apple devices as
> well.
>
> I've spent several hours Googling, but I can't find any straight
> answer to what seems like a simple question to me: is there any
> toolchain for doing MacOS and/or iOS free software development?
> Everything I've seen (like THEOS, OpenDev) requires XCode, and XCode
> requires I agree to their terms of service that limit what I'm allowed
> to do with my own code. There used to be a thing called GCC installer,
> but it seems to have been abandoned in favor of something called
> "command line tools", which requires an Apple ID (and therefore
> agreement with Apple TOS) to download.
>
> So, is there any way to develop free software for OSX or IOS without
> making myself Apple's bitch?

Qt
0
Peter