f



How do I convert a Resource file (.RSRC) full of snd's into WAV's???

I have an old Macintosh resource file (.rsrc) with a lot of individual
sounds (snd's) within the file, and I'd like to batch convert or
extract them into a bunch of separate WAV files. Anyone know of a
utility that will do this (on Mac OS 10.5.7)? Thanks!

Don
0
don157 (1)
7/27/2009 12:24:48 AM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.tools 504 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

9 Replies
799 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

In article <260720092024487468%don@donasoiuwfox.com>, Don
<don@donasoiuwfox.com> wrote:

> I have an old Macintosh resource file (.rsrc) with a lot of individual
> sounds (snd's) within the file, and I'd like to batch convert or
> extract them into a bunch of separate WAV files. Anyone know of a
> utility that will do this (on Mac OS 10.5.7)? Thanks!
> 

check out www.sndsampler.com, it might do what you want

-- 
Spenser
0
sbt
7/27/2009 1:57:28 AM
Don <don@donasoiuwfox.com> wrote:

> I have an old Macintosh resource file (.rsrc) with a lot of individual
> sounds (snd's) within the file, and I'd like to batch convert or
> extract them into a bunch of separate WAV files. Anyone know of a
> utility that will do this (on Mac OS 10.5.7)? Thanks!
> 
> Don

There was an easy answer to this back in classic MacOS so I'll mention
it just in case: download SoundApp
<http://www.pure-mac.com/audio.html#sndapp> and drag the resource file
onto it. It will find all enclosed audio files, you just select what you
want and convert to WAV. A real snap and the main way I used to extract
cool sound effects from old classic MacOS games like Spectre.

It's a real shame there's no OSX version of SoundApp :-(
-- 
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
0
jamiekg
7/27/2009 7:00:49 AM
Will try it for sure. Thanks...

In article <260720091857282299%dogbreath@chaseabone.com.invalid>, sbt
<dogbreath@chaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:

> www.sndsampler.com
0
Don
7/27/2009 1:03:44 PM
Thanks. I'll try that too (if possible from within OSX)

In article <1j3j0h3.6hrac1oe7i1hN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>, Jamie
Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:

> Don <don@donasoiuwfox.com> wrote:
> 
> > I have an old Macintosh resource file (.rsrc) with a lot of individual
> > sounds (snd's) within the file, and I'd like to batch convert or
> > extract them into a bunch of separate WAV files. Anyone know of a
> > utility that will do this (on Mac OS 10.5.7)? Thanks!
> > 
> > Don
> 
> There was an easy answer to this back in classic MacOS so I'll mention
> it just in case: download SoundApp
> <http://www.pure-mac.com/audio.html#sndapp> and drag the resource file
> onto it. It will find all enclosed audio files, you just select what you
> want and convert to WAV. A real snap and the main way I used to extract
> cool sound effects from old classic MacOS games like Spectre.
> 
> It's a real shame there's no OSX version of SoundApp :-(
0
Don
7/27/2009 1:05:51 PM
On 2009-07-27 14:05:51 +0100, Don <don@donasoiuwfox.com> said:

> Thanks. I'll try that too (if possible from within OSX)

If none of that works, the OS X developer tools come with DeRez which a 
command-line tool which will decompile resource files into files you 
might be able to coerce into shape.

eg DeRez somefile.rsrc -only 'snd ' > somefile.r

[now work on somefile.r using perl or something...]

-- 
Chris

0
Chris
7/27/2009 1:24:57 PM
In article <260720092024487468%don@donasoiuwfox.com>,
 Don <don@donasoiuwfox.com> wrote:

> I have an old Macintosh resource file (.rsrc) with a lot of individual
> sounds (snd's) within the file, and I'd like to batch convert or
> extract them into a bunch of separate WAV files. Anyone know of a
> utility that will do this (on Mac OS 10.5.7)? Thanks!

This is the sort of thing at which File Juicer excels:

<http://echoone.com/filejuicer/>

-- 
Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me.
E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM
filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting
messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google
Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

JR
0
Jolly
7/27/2009 2:29:21 PM
Thanks I'll try that too.

In article <7d5o59F2aor4vU1@mid.individual.net>, Chris Ridd
<chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:

> On 2009-07-27 14:05:51 +0100, Don <don@donasoiuwfox.com> said:
> 
> > Thanks. I'll try that too (if possible from within OSX)
> 
> If none of that works, the OS X developer tools come with DeRez which a 
> command-line tool which will decompile resource files into files you 
> might be able to coerce into shape.
> 
> eg DeRez somefile.rsrc -only 'snd ' > somefile.r
> 
> [now work on somefile.r using perl or something...]
0
Don
7/27/2009 7:25:21 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a try...

In article <jollyroger-4AE14A.09292127072009@news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <260720092024487468%don@donasoiuwfox.com>,
>  Don <don@donasoiuwfox.com> wrote:
> 
> > I have an old Macintosh resource file (.rsrc) with a lot of individual
> > sounds (snd's) within the file, and I'd like to batch convert or
> > extract them into a bunch of separate WAV files. Anyone know of a
> > utility that will do this (on Mac OS 10.5.7)? Thanks!
> 
> This is the sort of thing at which File Juicer excels:
> 
> <http://echoone.com/filejuicer/>
0
Don
7/27/2009 7:26:05 PM
To any and all that helped with my inability to convert a resource file
full of snds into wavs...I just want to say THANKS! Many excellent
ideas. And, finally, Juicer worked fine. It actually effortlessly
converted all my snds into  movs. Once Juicer was able to do that, I
could easily find other programs that converted mov's to wav's. So,
bottom line...SUCCESS! Thanks everyone!


In article <270720091526050026%don@donasoiuwfox.com>, Don
<don@donasoiuwfox.com> wrote:

> Thanks! I'll give it a try...
> 
> In article <jollyroger-4AE14A.09292127072009@news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> 
> > In article <260720092024487468%don@donasoiuwfox.com>,
> >  Don <don@donasoiuwfox.com> wrote:
> > 
> > > I have an old Macintosh resource file (.rsrc) with a lot of individual
> > > sounds (snd's) within the file, and I'd like to batch convert or
> > > extract them into a bunch of separate WAV files. Anyone know of a
> > > utility that will do this (on Mac OS 10.5.7)? Thanks!
> > 
> > This is the sort of thing at which File Juicer excels:
> > 
> > <http://echoone.com/filejuicer/>
0
Don
7/27/2009 10:42:25 PM
Reply: