Stepping assembly in XCode IDE

Hi all,

I am new to XCode. I want to step my program at assembly level (not
source level).
I get a view window to view disassembled code, but could not step it
(there is
no next/step in/step out buttons at that window). Can someone help me
out
and point out how to do that? It is just a command line hello world
program.

Thanks alot
0
fltcpt
3/7/2008 8:52:18 AM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.tools 504 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

fltcpt@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to XCode. I want to step my program at assembly level (not
> source level).
> I get a view window to view disassembled code, but could not step it
> (there is
> no next/step in/step out buttons at that window). Can someone help me
> out
> and point out how to do that? It is just a command line hello world
> program.
>
> Thanks alot

You don't want the disassembly window (invoked by the confusingly named
Show Assembly command) - that's just for viewing compiler output. In the
debugger you need to toggle the view from source to assembly - there's
an equally confusingly named menu command whose location varies
depending on what version of Xcode you are running. In Xcode 3.0 it's
Run -> Debugger Display -> Disassembly Only. After you switch the
debugger view to assembler (Disassembly Only) then the single step
operation will operate on one assembler source line (i.e. one
instruction), and ditto for breakpoints etc.

Paul
0
Paul