.mac web-based v desktop apps

I assumed .mac was about having access to web-based email, calendar,
contacts etc and being able to sync data with the desktop clients in
os x. So for example, I'm outside and want to make an appointment in
my calendar so I go to an internet cafe, logon to my .mac account,
create the entry in the online version of my calendar then when I get
home I sync it with my iCal (?) on my mac. Can I do this with .mac?

I have a trial account for .mac and I can't see anything like this.
Maybe it's not available for trial accounts. Am I missing something?
Or is it designed for users with more than one mac who want to keep
them sync'd?

Thanks.

0
Stephen151 (32)
6/13/2007 7:46:01 PM
comp.sys.mac.system 33446 articles. 2 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

Stephen2 <Stephen@mailinator.com> writes:

> my calendar so I go to an internet cafe, logon to my .mac account,
> create the entry in the online version of my calendar then when I get
> home I sync it with my iCal (?) on my mac. Can I do this with .mac?

Yes.  Well, looking now, it seems you cannot view or see
your iCal calendar (though it does *sync* via .mac so if
you have more than one computer, they'll be kept in sync
that way).

But other Apple apps - AddressBook and Mail (and Safari bookmarks) -
have web-based access which let you actually update/etc online.

> Or is it designed for users with more than one mac who want to keep
> them sync'd?

Both.  Not all apps have web-access.

And non-Apple programs can also take advantage of .mac
(ie. Yojimbo can sync through it, OmniWeb, NetNewsWire can, too,
SandVox can trivially publish web pages through it, etc)

If all you're looking for is good web-based mail which
also works well with Mail.app, I'd look at others - in
fact, even though I have .mac, I don't use it for e-mail.

But the other features are pretty nifty and only you
can decide if they're worth the price for you.

--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks.  The rest gets trashed.
No HTML in E-Mail! --    http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
<BreadWithSpam@fractious.net> wrote in message
> Stephen2 <Stephen@mailinator.com> writes:
>
>> my calendar so I go to an internet cafe, logon to my .mac account,
>> create the entry in the online version of my calendar then when I get
>> home I sync it with my iCal (?) on my mac. Can I do this with .mac?
>
> Yes.  Well, looking now, it seems you cannot view or see
> your iCal calendar (though it does *sync* via .mac so if
> you have more than one computer, they'll be kept in sync
> that way).

No.  He cannot do everything he mentions above, he cannot update his .mac
calendar using a browser.  The calendar at .mac cannot be updated by a web
browser, it only gets updates from iCal.  Unless I'm really missing
something here as I cannot do so and it's not mentioned here:

http://www.mac.com/1/ical.html

Plus it's all fucked up for me at the moment anyway, when I try to log in
using Firefox after I enter my username and password it takes me to a
generic Apple search page and doesn't log me in.

Greg
--
Ticketbastard tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

0
getnews1 (2029)
6/13/2007 9:46:27 PM
On Jun 13, 2007, Stephen2 wrote:

> I assumed .mac was about having access to web-based email, calendar,
> contacts etc and being able to sync data with the desktop clients in
> os x. So for example, I'm outside and want to make an appointment in
> my calendar so I go to an internet cafe, logon to my .mac account,
> create the entry in the online version of my calendar then when I get
> home I sync it with my iCal (?) on my mac. Can I do this with .mac?
>
> I have a trial account for .mac and I can't see anything like this.
> Maybe it's not available for trial accounts. Am I missing something?
> Or is it designed for users with more than one mac who want to keep
> them sync'd?
>
> Thanks.

You publish any of your iCal calendars, which will provide you with a URL for
accessing them on line from anywhere, but you can't make changes to the
online calendars... changes made on your local iCal with sync with the web
and with any other Macs you have set up to sync with it.

FWIW, you can also subscribe to someone else's calendar or have someone else
subscribe to yours, thereby combining them in your views, if that's of any
value.

See the help for Publish and Subscribe.

--
Joey DoWop Dee