0S 9 drivers/printer description files for HP printer?

Someone I know has an old G4 running OS 9.2.2
They recently replaced an old dead GCC Elite XL 608 printer with a new HP
LaserJet 5200 printer. The GCC printer was connected by ethernet. The HP is
connected by USB. The CD that came with it has only OS X drivers.
The old GCC printer used to show up in chooser under Laserwriter 8
But this printer does not seem to be listed at all in chooser.
HP's website does not have any OS 9 drivers for this printer.
I don't know anything about setting up printers on OS 9, but I found something
called desktop printer utility I think. I ran that and I could pick the HP
LaserJet in the bottom half of the window... which inturn enabled an auto
configure button, so I clicked it. Now it asks us for a PPD file - and the HP
printers are not listed here. Do we need to choose one of the LaserWriter files?
Or do we need to get a proper PPD file from somewhere off the web?
We just chose one of the PPDs in the list at random, and all apps seem to be
able to print to the printer without problems.
This computer however also has Quark Xpress 3.3 installed and if we try to print
from that the printer setup still lists the printer as GCC Elite XL 608. Quark
seems to use it's own PPD file. Nethertheless, Quark also seems to print
normally to the HP printer despite listing it as a GCC printer.
Is there a proper way to set this printer up in OS 9?
There are OS 9 driver downloads on HP's site for LaserJet 5100 printers? Would
using these drivers work on a 5200 printer?
How do we get the printer to show up in the chooser?
0
freaks (35)

In article <12l8ab1et8ljl9d@corp.supernews.com>,
 fred <freaks@nowhereville.net> wrote:

> Someone I know has an old G4 running OS 9.2.2
> They recently replaced an old dead GCC Elite XL 608 printer with a new HP
> LaserJet 5200 printer. The GCC printer was connected by ethernet. The HP is
> connected by USB. The CD that came with it has only OS X drivers.
> The old GCC printer used to show up in chooser under Laserwriter 8
> But this printer does not seem to be listed at all in chooser.

Fred-

Have you established that the HP has PostScript capability?  If so, you
will need a PostScript Printer Description file (PPD) for it.  It is
likely that you can adapt the OS X PPD if you can find it!  (The PPD is
a text file you can modify using a text editor.)  It is also likely that
a generic PPD such as for the old LaserWriter would work.  A PPD for the
LJ 5100 would be a good candidate, and probably wouldn't need any
changes.

OS 9 normally uses the LaserWriter 8 driver in conjunction with
AppleTalk.  It also has the capability of using TCP/IP printing over a
network connection.  This would be set up using Apple Printer Utility or
Desktop Printer Utility (I forget which).

I don't see how you can access the USB port using AppleTalk or TCP/IP
under OS 9.  It seems to me that is where your challenge lies!  If there
is a network card available for the LJ 5200, it might solve your problem.

Fred
0
fmmck (557)
11/10/2006 9:01:16 PM
On 2006-11-10 01:25:19 -0600, fred <freaks@nowhereville.net> said:

> Someone I know has an old G4 running OS 9.2.2
> They recently replaced an old dead GCC Elite XL 608 printer with a new
> HP LaserJet 5200 printer. The GCC printer was connected by ethernet.
> The HP is connected by USB. The CD that came with it has only OS X
> drivers.
> The old GCC printer used to show up in chooser under Laserwriter 8
> But this printer does not seem to be listed at all in chooser.
> HP's website does not have any OS 9 drivers for this printer.
> I don't know anything about setting up printers on OS 9, but I found
> something called desktop printer utility I think. I ran that and I
> could pick the HP LaserJet in the bottom half of the window... which
> inturn enabled an auto configure button, so I clicked it. Now it asks
> us for a PPD file - and the HP printers are not listed here. Do we need
> to choose one of the LaserWriter files? Or do we need to get a proper
> PPD file from somewhere off the web?
> We just chose one of the PPDs in the list at random, and all apps seem
> to be able to print to the printer without problems.

So did the HP show up in the Chooser after that? Did it show up as an
icon on the desktop? I can't remember how Desktop Printer Utility works.

> This computer however also has Quark Xpress 3.3 installed and if we try
> to print from that the printer setup still lists the printer as GCC
> Elite XL 608. Quark seems to use it's own PPD file. Nethertheless,
> Quark also seems to print normally to the HP printer despite listing it
> as a GCC printer.

It's been years since I've used Quark XPress 3.3, but I know that
desktop publishing apps like Quark XPress can use their own built-in
print drivers. Some have the option of using external drivers as well.
You might look in the Quark print dialogs to see if there's a way to
switch to the Apple print dialog, and see if you can select the HP
there - assuming it's showing up in the Chooser since you ran Desktop
Printer Utility

> Is there a proper way to set this printer up in OS 9?
> There are OS 9 driver downloads on HP's site for LaserJet 5100
> printers? Would using these drivers work on a 5200 printer?
> How do we get the printer to show up in the chooser?

If HP's web site has Mac OS 9 5100 print drivers, I'd definitely give
those a shot.

--
JR

0