10.3 "EPSON Printer Utility" desn't recognize Epson Stylus Color 777

"EPSON Printer Utility" (/Library/Printers/EPSON/Utilities/) in Panther
show the printer window but the not list the USB Epson Stylus Color 777.
However I was able print on this printer.

For time to time I need to clean the printer nozzle.
I can can do it in OS 9, but I want work in Panther.
What can I do ?
0
abz (23)

In article <abz-1811031618020001@192.168.1.3>,
 abz@videotron.ca (Alain Birtz) wrote:

> "EPSON Printer Utility" (/Library/Printers/EPSON/Utilities/) in Panther
> show the printer window but the not list the USB Epson Stylus Color 777.
> However I was able print on this printer.
>
> For time to time I need to clean the printer nozzle.
> I can can do it in OS 9, but I want work in Panther.
> What can I do ?

Amazing.  I have seen lots of people complaining about numerous Epson
printer and scanner driver problems in Panther but i have yet to see a
single mention at MacFixit.

I have the same problem with a different Epson printer not to speak of
the abysmally slow performance via Panther.
0
madwen2 (598)
11/18/2003 9:49:32 PM
In article <madwen-CA4DAA.15493218112003@news-50.giganews.com>,
 Madwen <madwen@onomatopaeia.com> wrote:

> In article <abz-1811031618020001@192.168.1.3>,
>  abz@videotron.ca (Alain Birtz) wrote:
>
> > "EPSON Printer Utility" (/Library/Printers/EPSON/Utilities/) in Panther
> > show the printer window but the not list the USB Epson Stylus Color 777.
> > However I was able print on this printer.
> >
> > For time to time I need to clean the printer nozzle.
> > I can can do it in OS 9, but I want work in Panther.
> > What can I do ?
>
> Amazing.  I have seen lots of people complaining about numerous Epson
> printer and scanner driver problems in Panther but i have yet to see a
> single mention at MacFixit.
>
> I have the same problem with a different Epson printer not to speak of
> the abysmally slow performance via Panther.

Hmmm, I have a SP785EPX and the Printer Utility works fine for me.

Try using the CUPS+GIMP driver.  To do this, select USB (not Epson USB),
then select Epson, and scroll down the list for your model.

I too have noticed that printing is very slow under Panther.  There are
lots of posts about this on Apple's Discussion list too.  Hopefully this
will be addressed in a (near) future update...

KP

--
Remove _me_ for e-mail address
0
In article <abz-1811031618020001@192.168.1.3>,
 abz@videotron.ca (Alain Birtz) wrote:

> "EPSON Printer Utility" (/Library/Printers/EPSON/Utilities/) in Panther
> show the printer window but the not list the USB Epson Stylus Color 777.
> However I was able print on this printer.
>
> For time to time I need to clean the printer nozzle.
> I can can do it in OS 9, but I want work in Panther.
> What can I do ?

I don't have a solution, but I have Panther.1 and the 777 and they get
along fine, including the Printer Utility. Again, I don't have the
answer, but I can assure you that it can be done.

-Sloopy
0
sloopy (222)
11/19/2003 4:14:41 AM
<< From: abz@videotron.ca  (Alain Birtz) -- For time to time I need to clean
the printer nozzle.
I can can do it in OS 9, but I want work in Panther.
What can I do ? >><BR><BR>

You should be able to clean the nozzle in Panther. I've cleaned my Epson 820 &
925. Just click on the Print Center ( i keep mine in the dock). Then click
Print Center Utility. When the printer list comes up, click OK. You'll see the
Nozzle check, Head cleaning, Fluid levels, etc.

Ken

0
k9660r (132)
11/19/2003 4:52:44 AM
In article <B0yub.279$b77.231@dfw-service2.ext.raytheon.com>,
 Ken Prager <prager_me_@ieee.org> wrote:

> In article <madwen-CA4DAA.15493218112003@news-50.giganews.com>,
>  Madwen <madwen@onomatopaeia.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <abz-1811031618020001@192.168.1.3>,
> >  abz@videotron.ca (Alain Birtz) wrote:
> >
> > > "EPSON Printer Utility" (/Library/Printers/EPSON/Utilities/) in Panther
> > > show the printer window but the not list the USB Epson Stylus Color 777.
> > > However I was able print on this printer.
> > >
> > > For time to time I need to clean the printer nozzle.
> > > I can can do it in OS 9, but I want work in Panther.
> > > What can I do ?
> >
> > Amazing.  I have seen lots of people complaining about numerous Epson
> > printer and scanner driver problems in Panther but i have yet to see a
> > single mention at MacFixit.
> >
> > I have the same problem with a different Epson printer not to speak of
> > the abysmally slow performance via Panther.
>
> Hmmm, I have a SP785EPX and the Printer Utility works fine for me.
>
> Try using the CUPS+GIMP driver.  To do this, select USB (not Epson USB),
> then select Epson, and scroll down the list for your model.
>
> I too have noticed that printing is very slow under Panther.  There are
> lots of posts about this on Apple's Discussion list too.  Hopefully this
> will be addressed in a (near) future update...
>
> KP

Thanks for responding.  That is what my driver currently is:

"Epson Stylus 740,CUPS+Gimp-print v.4.2.5"  That appears to be my only
choice, too.  I hope they address it soon too.

..
0
madwen2 (598)
11/19/2003 5:42:53 AM
In article <madwen-9CFAA9.23425318112003@news-50.giganews.com>,
 Madwen <madwen@onomatopaeia.com> wrote:

> Thanks for responding.  That is what my driver currently is:
>
> "Epson Stylus 740,CUPS+Gimp-print v.4.2.5" That appears to be my only
> choice, too. I hope they address it soon too.

When you install Panther, you must do a CUSTOMIZE step and choose the
second set of EPSON drivers to get native Stylus 740 support. Otherwise
you might only have a GIMP driver. The 740 driver is NOT installed with
an "Easy" install of OS X 10.3!

I am running 10.3.1 and the native EPSON Stylus 740 driver just fine and
all features are supported including checking ink levels and cleaning
nozzles. It shows up in Print Center as version 1.29.
In article <anonymous-0F37B1.22494918112003@news.telus.net>,
 Anonymous <anonymous@all.times.net> wrote:

> In article <madwen-9CFAA9.23425318112003@news-50.giganews.com>,
>  Madwen <madwen@onomatopaeia.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for responding.  That is what my driver currently is:
> >
> > "Epson Stylus 740,CUPS+Gimp-print v.4.2.5" That appears to be my only
> > choice, too. I hope they address it soon too.
>
> When you install Panther, you must do a CUSTOMIZE step and choose the
> second set of EPSON drivers to get native Stylus 740 support. Otherwise
> you might only have a GIMP driver. The 740 driver is NOT installed with
> an "Easy" install of OS X 10.3!
>
> I am running 10.3.1 and the native EPSON Stylus 740 driver just fine and
> all features are supported including checking ink levels and cleaning
> nozzles. It shows up in Print Center as version 1.29.

Ah ha.  Well i wonder what else i missed in that step.  I don't even
recall a "customize" step.  Egad.  Can i run the installer again and, if
so, if i select something that is already installed, will it install it
twice?
0
madwen2 (598)
11/19/2003 6:05:43 AM
In article <madwen-5249CB.00054319112003@news-50.giganews.com>,
 Madwen <madwen@onomatopaeia.com> wrote:

> I don't even
> recall a "customize" step.  Egad.  Can i run the installer again and, if
> so, if i select something that is already installed, will it install it
> twice?

It's a button at the lower left on one of the first screens.

You can add X11, and NOT install a bizillion fonts for languages you
will never use... Also, I decided to NOT install drivers for CANON,
LEXMARK, etc. as I have JUST the EPSON 740 printer. I also disabled the
alternate (default) set of EPSON drivers as my printer was in the second
set.

I believe you can add at will... but wouldn't it be nice to remove all
that other stuff? You may have to archive and install or clean install
in order to avoid all the excess baggage... Might be worth the hassle.

Good luck!
In article <anonymous-392984.23191318112003@news.telus.net>,
 Anonymous <anonymous@all.times.net> wrote:

> In article <madwen-5249CB.00054319112003@news-50.giganews.com>,
>  Madwen <madwen@onomatopaeia.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't even
> > recall a "customize" step.  Egad.  Can i run the installer again and, if
> > so, if i select something that is already installed, will it install it
> > twice?
>
> It's a button at the lower left on one of the first screens.
>
> You can add X11, and NOT install a bizillion fonts for languages you
> will never use... Also, I decided to NOT install drivers for CANON,
> LEXMARK, etc. as I have JUST the EPSON 740 printer. I also disabled the
> alternate (default) set of EPSON drivers as my printer was in the second
> set.
>
> I believe you can add at will... but wouldn't it be nice to remove all
> that other stuff? You may have to archive and install or clean install
> in order to avoid all the excess baggage... Might be worth the hassle.
>
> Good luck!

I cannot thank you enough!  I got out my install instructions and then i
recalled reading the customization options and that none of them seemed
to apply to me before.  Apple said the options were:  fonts, speech
voices, Common Access Card Viewer and X11.  It said asolutely zilch
about additional printer software!  Not only that, but my printer
utility installed the first time around said "Epson Stylus 740..."  I
had to expand that window a lot to even see the word "gimp".  Jeez talk
about confusing!

I just used the disk three package installers to install the printer
driver and X11.  And now, FINALLY (!!!), i have a printer that works
like it should again.  You just don't know how much time i spent trying
to figure out what was wrong.  I am very grateful.  May you always find
water and shade. :)

Madeleine

..
0
madwen2 (598)
11/19/2003 7:15:27 AM
Madwen at madwen@onomatopaeia.com wrote:

> I just used the disk three package installers to install the printer
> driver and X11.  And now, FINALLY (!!!), i have a printer that works
> like it should again.  You just don't know how much time i spent trying
> to figure out what was wrong.  I am very grateful.  May you always find
> water and shade. :)

How did you select the printer driver you installed from disc 3?, I
installed Epson printer drivers 2 , but can't figure out how to select the
one I want. I have searched but can only find the C70 PlugIn in
Library/Printers/Epson.

John

0
jayoxo (15)
11/19/2003 11:13:37 PM
In article <BBE1A9A1.32A8A%jayoxo@blueyonder.co.uk>,
 JayOxO <jayoxo@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Madwen at madwen@onomatopaeia.com wrote:
>
> > I just used the disk three package installers to install the printer
> > driver and X11.  And now, FINALLY (!!!), i have a printer that works
> > like it should again.  You just don't know how much time i spent trying
> > to figure out what was wrong.  I am very grateful.  May you always find
> > water and shade. :)
>
> How did you select the printer driver you installed from disc 3?, I
> installed Epson printer drivers 2 , but can't figure out how to select the
> one I want. I have searched but can only find the C70 PlugIn in
> Library/Printers/Epson.
>
> John

After I ran the Epson printer installer from the Panther disk 3 (which
took a very long time), I ran printer setup utility, selected "Epson"
and my 740 stylus printer was virtually the ONLY one that showed up in
the window.  I am sorry that is all I can tell you.  It was odd to say
the least.
0
madwen2 (598)
11/19/2003 11:32:35 PM
JayOxO at jayoxo@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> Madwen at madwen@onomatopaeia.com wrote:
>
>> I just used the disk three package installers to install the printer
>> driver and X11.  And now, FINALLY (!!!), i have a printer that works
>> like it should again.  You just don't know how much time i spent trying
>> to figure out what was wrong.  I am very grateful.  May you always find
>> water and shade. :)
>
> How did you select the printer driver you installed from disc 3?, I
> installed Epson printer drivers 2 , but can't figure out how to select the
> one I want. I have searched but can only find the C70 PlugIn in
> Library/Printers/Epson.
>
> John

OK, figured it out, it took me ages though, almost gave up, isn't it simple
when you know how :)

John

0
jayoxo (15)