Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?

Hello.

Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
(Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
multiple computers and OSes.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown
  | |o   o| |

In article <LtOdnXZJR92PbvDSnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
> Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
> (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
> multiple computers and OSes.

you need to install third party software that can read mac formatted
hard drives.

<http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/>
0
nospam59 (11089)
3/24/2012 5:12:13 PM
On 3/24/2012 10:12 AM PT, nospam typed:

>> Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
>> Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
>> (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
>> multiple computers and OSes.
>
> you need to install third party software that can read mac formatted
> hard drives.
>
> http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/

Thanks. :)
--
"He who dislikes aardvarks was an ant in his former life." --unknown
  | |o   o| |
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <LtOdnXZJR92PbvDSnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
> > Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
> > (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
> > multiple computers and OSes.
>
> you need to install third party software that can read mac formatted
> hard drives.
>
> <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/>

Time Machine volumes are full of hard links to files and folders, so
there might be a problem using MacDrive with them.

<http://support.mediafour.com/entries/174761-macdrive-files-appear-as-ze
ro-bytes-hard-links>

0
nmassello2 (168)
3/24/2012 6:24:34 PM
In article <1khgnk7.qyfdap8y4apsN%nmassello@yahoo.com>,
 nmassello@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <LtOdnXZJR92PbvDSnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> > <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
> > > Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
> > > (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
> > > multiple computers and OSes.
> >
> > you need to install third party software that can read mac formatted
> > hard drives.
> >
> > <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/>
>
> Time Machine volumes are full of hard links to files and folders, so
> there might be a problem using MacDrive with them.
>
> <http://support.mediafour.com/entries/174761-macdrive-files-appear-as-ze
> ro-bytes-hard-links>

You'll probably need a MacOS system up and running to serve the
filesystem with the TimeMachine information via CIFS.  That protocol can
be accessed by both Windows and Linux.  So, yes you can get at the data
and no you can't without a running MacOS system to serve that data.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

vilain2 (2187)
3/24/2012 6:55:51 PM
On 3/24/2012 11:55 AM PT, Michael Vilain typed:

>>> you need to install third party software that can read mac formatted
>>> hard drives.
>>>
>>> <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/>
>>
>> Time Machine volumes are full of hard links to files and folders, so
>> there might be a problem using MacDrive with them.
>>
>> <http://support.mediafour.com/entries/174761-macdrive-files-appear-as-ze
>> ro-bytes-hard-links>
>
> You'll probably need a MacOS system up and running to serve the
> filesystem with the TimeMachine information via CIFS.  That protocol can
> be accessed by both Windows and Linux.  So, yes you can get at the data
> and no you can't without a running MacOS system to serve that data.

So one would have to use another Mac machine to access Time Machine's
backups then. I am surprised non-Macs doesn't have a way to acccess them
by now.
--
"Since the world began, we have never exterminated. We probably shall
never exterminate as much as one single insect species. If there was
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> >> Time Machine volumes are full of hard links to files and folders, so
> >> there might be a problem using MacDrive with them.
> >>
> >> <http://support.mediafour.com/entries/174761-macdrive-files-appear-as-ze
> >> ro-bytes-hard-links>
> >
> > You'll probably need a MacOS system up and running to serve the
> > filesystem with the TimeMachine information via CIFS.  That protocol can
> > be accessed by both Windows and Linux.  So, yes you can get at the data
> > and no you can't without a running MacOS system to serve that data.
>
> So one would have to use another Mac machine to access Time Machine's
> backups then. I am surprised non-Macs doesn't have a way to acccess them
> by now.

i don't know where he got that idea. there is no need to use a mac for
accessing time machine backups. it's a standard hfs+ drive. the only
issue is hard links, which isn't a big deal.
0
nospam59 (11089)
3/24/2012 8:24:17 PM
On 03-24-2012 15:58, Ant wrote:
> So one would have to use another Mac machine to access Time Machine's
> backups then. I am surprised non-Macs doesn't have a way to acccess them
> by now.

HFS+ drivers are available for both Linux and Windows.

--
Wes Groleau

Always listen to experts.  They'll tell you
what can't be done and why.  Then do it.
                     — Robert A. Heinlein

0
news31 (6772)
3/24/2012 8:24:48 PM
On 3/24/2012 1:24 PM PT, nospam typed:

> i don't know where he got that idea. there is no need to use a mac for
> accessing time machine backups. it's a standard hfs+ drive. the only
> issue is hard links, which isn't a big deal.

Oh. I thought Time Machine did something special to do encryptions,
backups, and synchronizations.
--
"There's an ant crawling up your back in the nighttime." --They Might Be
Giants' Ant Song
 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <LtOdnXZJR92PbvDSnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
> > Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
> > (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
> > multiple computers and OSes.
>
> you need to install third party software that can read mac formatted
> hard drives.
>
> <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/>

Aren't Time machine backups sparsebundle images?

--
PRAY, v.  To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Aren't Time machine backups sparsebundle images?

if they're on a network device they are. for a directly attached drive
it's the entire drive.
0
nospam59 (11089)
3/25/2012 12:51:15 AM
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> the only issue is hard links, which isn't a big deal.

Well, it's a fairly big deal for Time Machine backups.

"This is how Time Machine builds its sparse trees. The very first backup
is a full copy. All subsequent backups contain hard links to the
unchanged portions of the previous backup."
<http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits/2006/08/4995.ars>

MacDrive apparently does work with Time Machine backups, which are
mentioned in the version histories for 8.0.1 and 8.0.5.

<http://www.mediafour.com/support/macdrive8>

0
nmassello2 (168)
3/25/2012 1:33:21 AM
In article <1khh5d2.1a1dy041g838bgN%nmassello@yahoo.com>, Neill
Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:

> MacDrive apparently does work with Time Machine backups, which are
> mentioned in the version histories for 8.0.1 and 8.0.5.

so it's not a problem at all.
0
nospam59 (11089)
3/25/2012 2:36:47 AM
In article <tom_stiller-E663E1.20004324032012@news.individual.net>,
 Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Aren't Time machine backups sparsebundle images?

Only if the drive is a remote drive; if it's a USB or FireWire (and
probably a Thunderbolt) drive, then the backups are discrete files.  At
least, that's how it was originally.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
michelle14 (19004)

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

3/Three usability issues in Mac OS X 10.8.5: Re(storing/covering) huge files from its Trash bin, renamed Time Machine's disk drive, and bring back Finder's sidebar external USB HDD icons?
Hi again. I just ran into a weird/an odd usability issue that bugged me in an updated Mac OS X 10.8.5 earlier: I tossed a huge 4.5 GB folder into Mac OS X 10.8.5's Trash bin. I decided to restore it back to the same exact place by dragging the folder back to the same place in Finder. However, it did a copy. Shouldn't it be a move? Isn't there a restore to the back place option? 2. I renamed an external HDD's name that was used for Time Machine (TM) back up. When I went to back up, it told me it couldn't. So, I looked at TM settings. I noticed it was loo...

Mac OS X 10.8.4's Time Machine is taking a long time to back up...
Hello. Is it because there is only about 10 GB of free disk space on the external USB2 HDD partition (250 GB)? It was almost done, but its disk size backed up and remaining/left kept growing. Oldest/First back up snapshot was from 9/13/2012. Latest one was before now was last Saturday (8/10/2013). It has already been over 30 minutes and used over 25% (was 99%) of the battery life so far. External HDD's free disk space is down to about 5.5 GB now. Thank you in advance. :) -- "We now go live to Ollie Williams in Channel 5 traffic chopper. What's scene?" -...

Study: Apple's Mac OS X 'world's safest and most secure' operating system
http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3766_0_1_0 AeoN wrote: > > http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3766_0_1_0 Taking after windopes in more ways than one. 1. Its not GNU/Linux and therefore nothing to do with Linux. 2. Its not free and you have to pay. 3. Its closed source. 2. I can't count. It is clearly world's safest and most secure operating system (not - only 80 holes fixed that last time they did a patch, so if there were 81 bugs, you are fscked now! - clever ain't it?) 5. So what happened when they started claiming their PCs were the...

Recent Articles,, * Amazon offering Mac OS X Snow Leopard Family Pack for $36.49, * Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, the first update to the Snow Leopard operating system, * Gartner: Exchange
http://switchtoamac.com/site/survey-indicates-that-50-of-us-it-pros-are-considering-abandoning-windows-likely-to-switch-to-apples-mac-os-x.html http://tinyurl.com/ybrbgek A June 12, 2009 CNNMoney.com article titled 'Can Windows 7 save PCs?", David Goldman writes about Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system. The article discusses the PC slump and highlights a March survey conducted by Dimension Research that indicates that 50% of respondents are likely to dump Windows in favor of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Noteworthy quotes form the article ...

Did Mac OS X 10.5.8's Airport Update reset anyone's AP to use?
Hello! I was doing big updates in Mac OS X 10.5.8 through its Software Update earlier on a client's MacBook Pro. After the required reboot, I noticed it went to an open AP (titled Linksys, duh) instead of the protected AP I was on earlier. I had to re-enter the datas and stuff even though it has a history of previous APs. Weird that it forgot the one it was just on! Did anyone experience that too with the latest Airport update? Thank you in advance. :) -- "An ant may work its (her) heart out, but it (she) can't make money." --unknown /\___/\ / /\...

What is a better program to replace Apple Mac OS X 10.5.7's iPhoto?
Hello! One of my clients does not like Apple Mac OS X 10.5.7's iPhoto which is limited and confusing to him. He doesn't like how albums, layouts, etc. work. We would like to know if there are better softwares (freeware if possible) to handle digital pictures/photographs on a MacBook Pro. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?" --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net \ ...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Delete all backups of "filename" from Time Machine not working in Mac OS X 10.8.3?
Hello. When I right click on a Time Machine (TM)'s back up file to delete ALL back ups. They don't seem to go away. I can still do quick look, restore, etc. on the requested deleted all files! Am I doing this wrong, misunderstanding this, or is there something wrong with this TM backup that started late last summer 2012? :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aq...

Slow Time Machine in Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a three years old MacBook Pro?
Hi. Is it me or does it take forever (e.g., a couple hours) to back up about 42 GB through USB 2.0? Thank you in advance. :) -- "A centipede is an ant made to Canadian/government specs." --unknown /\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. On 6/18/11 PDT...

Apple's Mac OS X, iOS now fueling 3.5 times the profits of Microsoft Windows
From Apple Insider: http://tinyurl.com/3bay2dz Apple's Mac OS X, iOS now fueling 3.5 times the profits of Microsoft Windows By Daniel Eran Dilger Published: 05:00 PM EST Apple's dramatic growth in hardware sales has reversed the longstanding notion that software licensing is the best way to make money in the tech industry. A revenue comparison published by Asymco blogger Horace Dediu demonstrates that Apple's hardware-centric business model is now enabling the company to generate 3.5 times the profits earned by Microsoft licensing Windows to third party P...

Using Time Machine With Multiple Accounts in Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a three years old MacBook Pro...
Hello. I am a Mac OS X 10.5.8 newbie and would like to ask a few questions about Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine feature. There is an external 500 GB HDD to do backups with it once in a while (not daily or often). Also, there are multiple accounts (administrator and limited) since two people use this MacBook Pro. Is it better to let Mac OS X's Time Machine do backups with each of the account logged in and out (e.g., limited logged in and administrator logged out) for both users? Thank you in advance. :) -- "Stan, are you OK?" --Francine; "Yeah. Hey, you look lik...

MAC Defender variant quickly thwarts Apple's Mac OS X security update
http://bit.ly/msgDE0 MAC Defender variant quickly thwarts Apple's Mac OS X security update By AppleInsider Staff Published: 03:55 PM EST A day after Apple released a security update for Mac OS X to address the "MAC Defender" malware, a new variant of the bogus antivirus software has been spotted in the wild. As first reported by Ed Bott at ZDNet, the new variation of MAC Defender, named "Mdinstall.pkg," has been crafted to bypass the new malware-blocking code made available by Apple. That update for Mac OS X, Security Update 2011-003, was released o...

Web resources about - Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines? - comp.sys.mac.system

Elgato releases first non-Apple Thunderbolt cable
Apple’s monopoly on Thunderbolt cables is over, because Elgato entered the space today with its own flavor of the tech aptly titled “ Elgato’s ...

Non-Apple Tablets Maintain Small Market Share - Ina Fried - News - AllThingsD
A new study shows that just 1.2 million non-Apple tablets were sold at U.S. retail stores during the first 10 months of 2011. And the biggest ...

First The iPad 2, Now Apple’s Non-Retina MacBook Pro Could Soon Face Extinction
Apple is expected to end production on the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro. In doing so, the company will unveil thinner models equipped with ...

Back-to-school Mac, iPad sales strong as non-Apple tablets struggle
Back-to-school sales have been particularly strong for Apple this year, with both the Mac and iPad proving popular, while non-Apple tablets have ...

Non-Apple companies hold iWatch trademark in U.S., U.K., China
Apple faces trademark trouble in the U.S., U.K., parts of Europe, and China, where other companies hold the trademark for the name "iWatch." ...

Apple Watch and Apple Pay attract non-Apple converts at CTIA show
LAS VEGAS Announcements of the Apple Watch and Apple Pay on Tuesday caught the attention of hundreds of IT professionals at a keynote presentation ...

Apple denies pulling non-Apple Music artists from iTunes
After one indie musician claims Apple tried to bully him into signing up for Apple Music, the company says that is not so.

Non-Apple players competing for China educational tablet market
... for "e-backpack" tablet PC, sources from the upstream supply chain expect China's education market to become the new battlefield for non-Apple ...

Non-Apple tablets surpass iPad for first time in global marketshare
Non-Apple tablets have collectively surpassed the iPad for the first time in terms of worldwide marketshare, claims research firm Canalys. During ...

Kanex makes first non-Apple Thunderbolt cable, increases number of suppliers to... two
Kanex is releasing the first non-Apple branded Thunderbolt cable. However, if you were looking for something shorter and cheaper than Cupertino's ...