Any Problems 'Migrating' from PowerPC G4 to Intel Mac Pro?

I've seen a number of old warnings about difficulties in migrating to an
Intel Mac but not much info that is recent.  I've never used the
Migration assistant.  Is it safe or would I be better off just
transferring documents w/o the assistant?  I assume all apps need to be
installed fresh and not transferred, right?  Is there any reason to use
Migration Assistant, like settings or prefs, or are those best installed
from scratch too?

I would appreciate any advice on migrating you might offer, especially
if you have recently experienced any related snafus.  Thanks.

Madeleine
0
wyvern (419)

Madwen wrote:
> I've seen a number of old warnings about difficulties in migrating to an
> Intel Mac but not much info that is recent.

I've had issues about a month ago. 10.4.11 PPC to 10.5 Leopard on Intel.

> Is it safe or would I be better off just
> transferring documents w/o the assistant?

I appear to live in a different universe where everything works slightly
differently. Others here will tell you the migration assistant works
perfectly.

> I assume all apps need to be
> installed fresh and not transferred, right?

No. Many of the Apple apps are installed fresh with the OS. And most of
the apps you donwload from the net are FAT and run on both PPC and
Intel, and those that are PPC only will run under the Rosetta emulator.

The system profiler can give you a good list of all your apps and
whether they are bi or PPC only.

> Is there any reason to use
> Migration Assistant, like settings or prefs, or are those best installed
> from scratch too?

Migration assistant will transfer plenty of your settings, background
images, applicable system preferences etc. And it transfers some
startups stuff (where I had problems).

You can try migration assistant and if it fails to produce a bootable
system, you re-install Leopard from scratch after formatting yoru drive
and then copy files/folders manually.
In article <00327485$0$29036$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
 JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Madwen wrote:

> > I assume all apps need to be
> > installed fresh and not transferred, right?
>
> No. Many of the Apple apps are installed fresh with the OS. And most of
> the apps you donwload from the net are FAT and run on both PPC and
> Intel, and those that are PPC only will run under the Rosetta emulator.

Thanks for responding.  I'm worried about (bootable) OS 9 remnants
creeping over... somehow, and mucking up the whole works.  It is
installed on my secondary internal drive.  So I have no problem
installing most of the apps from scratch (other than those already
installed with the OS).

> The system profiler can give you a good list of all your apps and
> whether they are bi or PPC only.
>
> > Is there any reason to use Migration Assistant, like settings or
> > prefs, or are those best installed from scratch too?
>
> Migration assistant will transfer plenty of your settings, background
> images, applicable system preferences etc. And it transfers some
> startups stuff (where I had problems).
>
> You can try migration assistant and if it fails to produce a bootable
> system, you re-install Leopard from scratch after formatting yoru drive
> and then copy files/folders manually.

I would definitely much rather take the proactive approach, unless I am
certain that particular things--- like preferences, libraries, iTunes,
Mail boxes, account settings--- can be transferred with almost no
material risk.  But I have been unable to locate this information.  My
G4 is 8 years old; this is not something I do every day.

Madeleine
0
wyvern (419)
6/18/2009 3:11:49 AM
In article
<wyvern-31FDBF.16394017062009@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>, Madwen
<wyvern@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I've seen a number of old warnings about difficulties in migrating to an
> Intel Mac but not much info that is recent.  I've never used the
> Migration assistant.  Is it safe or would I be better off just
> transferring documents w/o the assistant?

it's very safe, and is designed to handle this scenario.

> I assume all apps need to be
> installed fresh and not transferred, right?

no.  the only issue is that some apps might need to be reactivated on
the new mac and possibly deactivated on the old mac beforehand.

> Is there any reason to use
> Migration Assistant, like settings or prefs, or are those best installed
> from scratch too?

yes, it's substantially easier to run migration assistant than it is to
reinstall everything from scratch.  all your settings will transfer.

> I would appreciate any advice on migrating you might offer, especially
> if you have recently experienced any related snafus.  Thanks.

there's always the possibility something might not work, especially if
you installed something out of the ordinary, but it works extremely
well for nearly everyone.  and if an app doesn't work, you only need to
reinstall that one app.

don't worry about classic apps either.  they obviously won't work on
the intel mac, but you can delete them after migration completes.
0
nospam59 (11089)
6/18/2009 3:36:51 AM
On 2009-06-17 17:39:40 -0400, Madwen <wyvern@nospam.invalid> said:

> I've seen a number of old warnings about difficulties in migrating to an
> Intel Mac but not much info that is recent.  I've never used the
> Migration assistant.  Is it safe or would I be better off just
> transferring documents w/o the assistant?  I assume all apps need to be
> installed fresh and not transferred, right?  Is there any reason to use
> Migration Assistant, like settings or prefs, or are those best installed
> from scratch too?
>
> I would appreciate any advice on migrating you might offer, especially
> if you have recently experienced any related snafus.  Thanks.
>
> Madeleine

Madeleine,
I've just migrated 3 G5's to MacPros with no problems. With one I had
to reauthorize Quark. It saves a lot of time and hassle to use the
Migration assistant. If you desktop pictures are stored in a weird
place, you may have to hunt them down. But overall it is smooth sailing.

0
gmike18 (1)
6/18/2009 4:50:09 AM
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> TNW wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend using migration assistant;  it'll save hours of time.
> > Three things I encountered --
>
> As some explained to me (sorry, I don't recall your name),

That was me.

>, if you have Firewire cables between the two machines, the newer one
>will access the old drive directly. If you don't, you go through
>appletalk

Ethernet (or Airport), using TCP/IP, not AppleTalk.

> and use a huge amount of CPU on the old machine and will be
> much slower. Seems that migration assistant does a lot of work, not
> just copying of files.
>
> And this may explain my problems:
>
> Since I used ethernet connection, perhaps it was migration assistant on
> the PPC 10.4.11 machine which did the work of extractiong the relevant
> information to be moved to the new machine and thus fed it incompatible
> files/data.

Not likely. Migration Assistant "serving" files over a network just
provides root-level access for reading files. It has no logic to make
decisions about what files to copy.

The computer which is receiving the files (also running Migration
Assistant) goes through exactly the same logic for selecting what to
copy. The only thing that differs is it is using a file sharing protocol
to access the files via a network, instead of simply copying files
between two drives.

This affects the speed of the transfer. (The network has more overhead
than a direct Firewire connection, and the source computer is doing more
than just acting as a disk controller.)

There is a small chance that it might affect the content of some files
which gets transferred, because the source computer is running an active
system and may have files open and being actively modified.

It would therefore be a good idea to quit all applications before using
Migration Assistant to serve files across a network.

I have done a migration from 10.4 to 10.5 over a network and it worked
fine. (I did this because one of the computers involved had a dead
Firewire port.)

> If you use firewire, it is the new machine which draws data directly
> from the old disk and knows exactly what is and isn't compatible with
> the new version.

Same as across a network.

> (just a theory to explain why mine didn't work out). Remember that my
> biggest problem was the startup on the new machine which got update with
> a procedure that looked for a non existant file and retried every 10
> seconds (or whatecver) until that file would become visible (which it
> never did).

If I remember right, you said you had made various Unix-level changes on
your source system (running Tiger).

There are two very likely explanations for your Leopard startup problem
after the migration.

1. Migration Assistant tried to copy some of your modifications to the
Leopard system, and your changes were not compatible with Leopard.

2. Migration Assistant makes assumptions about the structure of certain
low-level system files, and if you had made incompatible modifications
to those files, it may have conflicated with the migration process,
resulting in damaged files on the target system.

> Command-V during boot puts into into conversational mode and you can
> then see how the boot progresses (or loops as was my case).

It is called "verbose" mode, incidentally (hence the letter 'V').

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
David Empson wrote:

> Not likely. Migration Assistant "serving" files over a network just
> provides root-level access for reading files. It has no logic to make
> decisions about what files to copy.

My experience (once, so not representative) would disagree. The fact
that with migration assistant, the CPU was at 100% and the ethernet used
to less than half of capacity would indicate that migrtation assistant
on the old machine was doing far more than just service files.

When I did the manual move, the new mac mounted the old mac's drive
using afp, at which point, during the coipy operation, the ethernet was
close to max speed, and the old mac was not at 100% CPU.

> If I remember right, you said you had made various Unix-level changes on
> your source system (running Tiger).

None that affected the startup.  I added a few apps such as wirewire,
but never dabbed into the launchd stuff. And the loop was looking for a
file that was not related to anything I had done. (I think I had posted
the message here, but I don't remember which file it was and google
can't find it at the moment (probably some of their servers are down, so
searches only find partial results).

> There are two very likely explanations for your Leopard startup problem
> after the migration.

Evidently it added a startup file to launchd (or whatever stuff gets
called during boot before launchd) and that file was from the old system
and was looking for another file which no longer exists under Intel
and/or 10.5.
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> David Empson wrote:
>
> > Not likely. Migration Assistant "serving" files over a network just
> > provides root-level access for reading files. It has no logic to make
> > decisions about what files to copy.
>
> My experience (once, so not representative) would disagree. The fact
> that with migration assistant, the CPU was at 100% and the ethernet used
> to less than half of capacity would indicate that migrtation assistant
> on the old machine was doing far more than just service files.

Just because it is using all the CPU doesn't mean anything regarding
decision making.

Migration Assistant is designed around the principle that the receiving
computer knows how to import data from the same or an earlier verison of
Mac OS X. It has scripts and sets of rules on how to import from each
supported older version of Mac OS X. It just needs unrestricted access
to all files on the source system.

When you run Migration Assistant in "To another Mac" mode, all it does
is communicates with a specific computer over a network, and provides
the required unrestricted file-level access to all files on the
computer. It blindly follows instructions as to what the other computer
wants to access.

It wouldn't make sense for Apple to vary the implementation just because
you happen to be using a network - it would add unnecessary complexity
and introduce more scope for possible bugs. The source computer knows
nothing about a later OS version on the destination system, so it can't
make any sensible decisions.

I've had a brief look at the Migration Assistant network traffic. There
is strong evidence that it is using encryption (and possibly
compression) when transferring data over a network.

This could easily explain your observed 100% CPU usage, if the source
computer was a relatively old one - the CPU would have been busy doing
encryption/decryption.

I can't easily do a detailed analysis, because Migration Assistant on
Leopard insists on quitting other applications on both computers before
getting to the interesting bit where you can choose what to transfer
(but it has done a fair amount of communication prior to that point). I
therefore can't run a network traffic monitor on either the source or
destination computer. I'd have to set up an external network traffic
monitor and it is too hard at the moment.

I'm curious how you could tell your source computer was using 100% CPU
if you couldn't run Activity Monitor while Migration Assistant was doing
a transfer. (Does the Tiger version not insist on quitting other
applications?)

> When I did the manual move, the new mac mounted the old mac's drive
> using afp, at which point, during the coipy operation, the ethernet was
> close to max speed, and the old mac was not at 100% CPU.

AFP uses a more straightforward and higher level protocol, doesn't
encrypt data, and is probably more optimized than Migration Assistant,
as AFP is commonly used and has been around for a long time, while
Migration Assistant is rarely used and relatively new.

> > If I remember right, you said you had made various Unix-level changes on
> > your source system (running Tiger).
>
> None that affected the startup.  I added a few apps such as wirewire,
> but never dabbed into the launchd stuff. And the loop was looking for a
> file that was not related to anything I had done. (I think I had posted
> the message here, but I don't remember which file it was and google
> can't find it at the moment (probably some of their servers are down, so
> searches only find partial results).
>
> > There are two very likely explanations for your Leopard startup problem
> > after the migration.
>
> Evidently it added a startup file to launchd (or whatever stuff gets
> called during boot before launchd) and that file was from the old system
> and was looking for another file which no longer exists under Intel
> and/or 10.5.

There is nothing before launchd apart from loading the kernel. launchd
is process 1.

I found your previous thread on a newsgroup archive here:

<http://www.mackb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/mac/25639/Conversion-strategy-for-P
ower-to-Intel>

In the detailed post (29th April 2009, 22:54 GMT), you said:

> Tried to reboot, but the machine is now unbootable. holding CMD-V during
> boot thankfully worked (I saved those boot sequences on my VMS box in
> such cases).  After checking ethernet ports, it hangs, waiting for a
> Tiger file which no longer exists in Leopard...
>
> <date> <nodename> com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[x]):
> posix_spawnp(~/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder",...): No such file or directory.
>
> ( where the [x] increments every 1~- seconds when it retries).
>
> The conclusion is that the Migration Assistant added some incompatible
> stuff to my Leppard disk and now, my branc new mac has become a hybrid
> of Tiger and Leopard.

/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder is a standard component of Leopard and Tiger
(multicast DNS responder - part of Bonjour) and is in the same location
on both systems. It shouldn't be touched by Migration Assistant (unless
there was a bug) because the Leopard and Tiger systems would have
different versions of that file.

That log message says that launchd was processing this file:

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

which (looking at my copies) specifies that /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder is
to be launched. When launchd tried to launch mDNSResponder, it failed
because /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder wasn't there.

(I'm assuming the ~ just before /usr in your verbose output was a typo
for a double quote. If not, you had a corrupted file in
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons.)

There is a possibility that Migration Assistant mucked around with the
files in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons due to something unusual on your
Tiger system, but I wouldn't expect com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist to be
copied across - they are significantly different between Tiger and
Leopard.

As far as I can tell, Leopard launches mDNSResponder on demand, but if
something else required it and it couldn't be launched, that would cause
the recurring error.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
David Empson wrote:

> It wouldn't make sense for Apple to vary the implementation just because
> you happen to be using a network - it would add unnecessary complexity
> and introduce more scope for possible bugs.

Still curious that it would end up consuming far more CPU resources than
just copying files. Encryption/compression might explain it. I'd bet
more on compression if they want to reduce transmission times.

Considering file format changes, it is possible that the source
migration assistant would convert confifg files to textual
representations that would be version neutral (aka: textual XML) which
the receiving assistant would convert into whatever new format was used
for the new version ? Itr could then discard fields no longer used (or
not supported) and add whatever fields are new.

> I'm curious how you could tell your source computer was using 100% CPU
> if you couldn't run Activity Monitor while Migration Assistant was doing
> a transfer. (Does the Tiger version not insist on quitting other
> applications?)

X11 remained running, and I think I just started activity monitor from a
xterm window (or perhaps the dock remained active beause X11 didn't
quit, I can't remember). When an application tells X11 to quit, you have
the option to just CANCEL and X11 remains running.

> I found your previous thread on a newsgroup archive here:

Thanks ! I know I am in big trouble when I can't google my own posts !
(or perhaps Google had parts oft itself down when I did search).

>> <date> <nodename> com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[x]):
>> posix_spawnp(~/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder",...): No such file or directory.

> /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder is a standard component of Leopard and Tiger
> (multicast DNS responder - part of Bonjour) and is in the same location
> on both systems. It shouldn't be touched by Migration Assistant (unless
> there was a bug) because the Leopard and Tiger systems would have
> different versions of that file.

Well, the MacPro had booted fine with its factory installed Leopard
before. But after Migration Assistant, it couldn't find that file and
the boot got stuck waiting for this file to appear.  I noticed it is now
on my system.

I was able to boot in safe mode, and confirmed it wasn't on the Leopard
system and it was on Tiger.  Apple Support agreed that I should
re-install from scratch. didn't know what else would have been corrupted.

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> David Empson wrote:
>

> > It wouldn't make sense for Apple to vary the implementation just because
> > you happen to be using a network - it would add unnecessary complexity
> > and introduce more scope for possible bugs.
>
> Still curious that it would end up consuming far more CPU resources than
> just copying files. Encryption/compression might explain it. I'd bet
> more on compression if they want to reduce transmission times.

On the theory that the souce computer is fast enough to justify it (the
destination computer is usually one of the latest models, so it is by
definition as fast as it could be).

Another reason for doing compression is to reduce the load on the
network (transferring fewer packets, with longer gaps between them), in
case the network is being used for other things at the same time.

> Considering file format changes, it is possible that the source
> migration assistant would convert confifg files to textual
> representations that would be version neutral (aka: textual XML) which
> the receiving assistant would convert into whatever new format was used
> for the new version ? Itr could then discard fields no longer used (or
> not supported) and add whatever fields are new.

Not likely. When directly connected to the source drive, Migration
Assistant just reads the files in their original format and deals with
any interpretation required. Again, why add more work when the code is
already there to handle the original file format?

Migration Assistant doesn't need to interpret the contents of very many
files - most of what it is does is selecting which files get copied, and
actually copying them.

There are a few areas where it has to run a script to adjust something,
or examine a file to work out what else needs to be transferred (e.g.
accessing user account details from NetInfo or Directory Services).

> > I'm curious how you could tell your source computer was using 100% CPU
> > if you couldn't run Activity Monitor while Migration Assistant was doing
> > a transfer. (Does the Tiger version not insist on quitting other
> > applications?)
>
> X11 remained running, and I think I just started activity monitor from a
> xterm window (or perhaps the dock remained active beause X11 didn't
> quit, I can't remember). When an application tells X11 to quit, you have
> the option to just CANCEL and X11 remains running.

I'll see whether that works for me (running tcpdump in xterm).

> > I found your previous thread on a newsgroup archive here:
>
> Thanks ! I know I am in big trouble when I can't google my own posts !
> (or perhaps Google had parts oft itself down when I did search).

I didn't spot a groups.google.com reference in the top few hits. I think
I searched for "JF Mezei migration" and this was about the fifth hit.
(Something to do with VAX was at the top.)

> >> <date> <nodename> com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[x]):
> >> posix_spawnp(~/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder",...): No such file or directory.
>
> > /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder is a standard component of Leopard and Tiger
> > (multicast DNS responder - part of Bonjour) and is in the same location
> > on both systems. It shouldn't be touched by Migration Assistant (unless
> > there was a bug) because the Leopard and Tiger systems would have
> > different versions of that file.
>
> Well, the MacPro had booted fine with its factory installed Leopard
> before. But after Migration Assistant, it couldn't find that file and
> the boot got stuck waiting for this file to appear.  I noticed it is now
> on my system.
>
> I was able to boot in safe mode, and confirmed it wasn't on the Leopard
> system and it was on Tiger.  Apple Support agreed that I should
> re-install from scratch. didn't know what else would have been corrupted.

Agreed.

Migration Assistant shouldn't have touched that file at all (or anything
else in /usr/sbin, for that matter).

File system corruption on the target system, perhaps?
--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
0
dempson (3825)
6/19/2009 12:12:22 AM
Thank you Mik and "nospam".  That is very reassuring.  My cable hasn't
arrived so I haven't migrated yet.  Many of my apps now have Intel
versions so I will install those from scratch.  But I'm curious if it's
all right to move the preferences or can you not be that selective with
the Assistant?
0
wyvern (419)
6/19/2009 6:20:30 PM
In article
<wyvern-57CA30.13203019062009@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>, Madwen
<wyvern@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Thank you Mik and "nospam".  That is very reassuring.  My cable hasn't
> arrived so I haven't migrated yet.  Many of my apps now have Intel
> versions so I will install those from scratch.  But I'm curious if it's
> all right to move the preferences or can you not be that selective with
> the Assistant?

just let the migration assistant do its thing.  seriously, it 'just
works' in the vast majority of cases.  you can delete anything you
don't want afterwards.  you can also update apps before migrating since
they're probably universal and offer bug fixes and new features.  there
isn't really a need to reinstall apps from scratch.
0
nospam59 (11089)
6/19/2009 6:39:57 PM
Madwen wrote:
> But I'm curious if it's
> all right to move the preferences or can you not be that selective with
> the Assistant?

Migration assistant has a few options, but each is an all or nothing
thing. If you migrate applications, all are migrated.
 And you don't really know if it is just the .APP directory structure
that is moved, or any anciliary files that might be stored elsewhere.
You just have to trust it.

If you will use migration assistant, you might as well migrate the whole
lot, and then update invidividual apps that may not be Intel. (System
profiler gives you the list of those apps).

In article <001d1eab$0$6103$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
 JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Madwen wrote:
> > But I'm curious if it's
> > all right to move the preferences or can you not be that selective with
> > the Assistant?
>

> Migration assistant has a few options, but each is an all or nothing
> thing. If you migrate applications, all are migrated.
>  And you don't really know if it is just the .APP directory structure
> that is moved, or any anciliary files that might be stored elsewhere.
> You just have to trust it.
>
> If you will use migration assistant, you might as well migrate the whole
> lot, and then update invidividual apps that may not be Intel. (System
> profiler gives you the list of those apps).

Ever have one of those weeks where just everything goes majorly wrong?
My new Mac Pro worked fine before "migration".  I had updated the system
software even. It even connected via Ethernet to my Airport which is
connected to a DSL modem.  Post migration, no connection, no settings on
_anything_ and while it claims to have imported 90 GB of info, I can
only "see" 56.  After 3.5 hours, there are no docs, no apps and nothing
else new that I can find except the network settings that were
automatically there before are all wiped out.

(A couple days ago, I had the phone company (ATT) out to clear up some
noise on the DSL line.  They cleared it up.  But after they left, I
discovered that the only jack in the entire house that works now is the
DSL line in my office.  Every other jack in the house is dead.  And that
is just the tip of the iceberg. Ugh.)

After I'm finished beating my head against the wall, do I try running
the Migration assistant again or wipe the drive clean and install a new
OS from scratch.  I would appreciate some practical advice... some
conservative protocol, thank you.

Madeleine
0
wyvern (419)
6/21/2009 1:42:49 AM
Madwen wrote:

> After I'm finished beating my head against the wall, do I try running
> the Migration assistant again or wipe the drive clean and install a new
> OS from scratch.  I would appreciate some practical advice... some
> conservative protocol, thank you.

I am glad I wasn't the only one for whom migration assistant failed.

Do try to boot with verbose mode on (command V while it boots). It might
reveal some error messages. (or you can look in the console logs if you
get that far).

But in the end, yes. Boot from the CD, zap/reformat the disk drive,
re-install a fresh copy.

When it prompts you to create a username, have it create a temporary
username. Once all is said and done, you can connect to your old MAC
with appletalk, and copy over your original user directory structure.
You can then create a new username on the new mac that matches the old
one (which will then map to the directory structure with all your files.)

Reason to create the temp username is that when logged in, there are
locks in your user directory that prevent you messing with many files.

Moving apps is not hard.

You can move the .app file (which is actually a directory struycture
with lots of files in it) and if that doesn't work, you can eiother
re-install it from scratch, or look in the /Library of the old system to
see if there is stuff that needs to be moved.
In article
<wyvern-161ACB.20424920062009@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
 Madwen <wyvern@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <001d1eab$0$6103$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
>  JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
> > Madwen wrote:
> > > But I'm curious if it's
> > > all right to move the preferences or can you not be that selective with
> > > the Assistant?
> >

> > Migration assistant has a few options, but each is an all or nothing
> > thing. If you migrate applications, all are migrated.
> >  And you don't really know if it is just the .APP directory structure
> > that is moved, or any anciliary files that might be stored elsewhere.
> > You just have to trust it.
> >
> > If you will use migration assistant, you might as well migrate the whole
> > lot, and then update invidividual apps that may not be Intel. (System
> > profiler gives you the list of those apps).
>
> Ever have one of those weeks where just everything goes majorly wrong?
> My new Mac Pro worked fine before "migration".  I had updated the system
> software even. It even connected via Ethernet to my Airport which is
> connected to a DSL modem.  Post migration, no connection, no settings on
> _anything_ and while it claims to have imported 90 GB of info, I can
> only "see" 56.  After 3.5 hours, there are no docs, no apps and nothing
> else new that I can find except the network settings that were
> automatically there before are all wiped out.
>
> (A couple days ago, I had the phone company (ATT) out to clear up some
> noise on the DSL line.  They cleared it up.  But after they left, I
> discovered that the only jack in the entire house that works now is the
> DSL line in my office.  Every other jack in the house is dead.  And that
> is just the tip of the iceberg. Ugh.)
>
> After I'm finished beating my head against the wall, do I try running
> the Migration assistant again or wipe the drive clean and install a new
> OS from scratch.  I would appreciate some practical advice... some
> conservative protocol, thank you.
>
> Madeleine

You can always "backout" of the upgrade by restoring your system from
your backups.

No backups?  Hmmm.  Then you really have a problem.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

0
vilain2 (2187)
6/21/2009 4:45:07 AM
In article <vilain-A88DD0.21450720062009@individual.net>,
 Michael Vilain <vilain@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article
> <wyvern-161ACB.20424920062009@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
>  Madwen <wyvern@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > Ever have one of those weeks where just everything goes majorly wrong?
> > My new Mac Pro worked fine before "migration".  I had updated the system
> > software even. It even connected via Ethernet to my Airport which is
> > connected to a DSL modem.  Post migration, no connection, no settings on
> > _anything_ and while it claims to have imported 90 GB of info, I can
> > only "see" 56.  After 3.5 hours, there are no docs, no apps and nothing
> > else new that I can find except the network settings that were
> > automatically there before are all wiped out.

> > After I'm finished beating my head against the wall, do I try running
> > the Migration assistant again or wipe the drive clean and install a new
> > OS from scratch.  I would appreciate some practical advice... some
> > conservative protocol, thank you.

> You can always "backout" of the upgrade by restoring your system from
> your backups.
>
> No backups?  Hmmm.  Then you really have a problem.

Oh fiddlesticks.  Read it again, Michael.  I didn't lose data; it simply
didn't transfer to the new computer with Migration Assistant.  I've been
doing alternating backups for eons. But I don't need to restore, here,
because nothing was lost except the network settings on the new box.
0
wyvern (419)
6/21/2009 2:07:07 PM
In article <00369da3$0$29021$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
 JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Madwen wrote:
>
> > After I'm finished beating my head against the wall, do I try running
> > the Migration assistant again or wipe the drive clean and install a new
> > OS from scratch.  I would appreciate some practical advice... some
> > conservative protocol, thank you.
>
> I am glad I wasn't the only one for whom migration assistant failed.

Heh.  Misery does love company.  It's my own fault, actually.  I should
have followed that little voice in my head that told me to do it
manually.  Even though the old computer is on 10.5.7, eight years is a
long time between computers.... a long time to accumulate errors and
idiosyncrasies.

> Do try to boot with verbose mode on (command V while it boots). It might
> reveal some error messages. (or you can look in the console logs if you
> get that far).
>
> But in the end, yes. Boot from the CD, zap/reformat the disk drive,
> re-install a fresh copy.
>
> When it prompts you to create a username, have it create a temporary
> username. Once all is said and done, you can connect to your old MAC
> with appletalk, and copy over your original user directory structure.
> You can then create a new username on the new mac that matches the old
> one (which will then map to the directory structure with all your files.)
>
> Reason to create the temp username is that when logged in, there are
> locks in your user directory that prevent you messing with many files.
>
> Moving apps is not hard.
>
> You can move the .app file (which is actually a directory struycture
> with lots of files in it) and if that doesn't work, you can eiother
> re-install it from scratch, or look in the /Library of the old system to
> see if there is stuff that needs to be moved.

Thanks.  I appreciate the advice and did not think about the user name
problem.  If we did this kind of thing monthly, we'd all be experts at
it.

Madeleine
0
wyvern (419)
6/21/2009 2:26:26 PM
In article <00369da3$0$29021$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
 JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:
[...]
> When it prompts you to create a username, have it create a temporary
> username. Once all is said and done, you can connect to your old MAC
> with appletalk, and copy over your original user directory structure.
> You can then create a new username on the new mac that matches the old
> one (which will then map to the directory structure with all your files.)

There's something to be said for letting some problems rest for awhile.
Your comment about changing the user name got me thinking.  So tonight,
when I finally got some time, I turned the new Mac back on and, sure
enough, there was the second user name I had not realized would be
created.  Color me unintuitive but I really had no idea that Migration
Assistant would create a second admin account.  So there were all my old
settings and docs.  I am adding in the software as I need it since the
process is so incredibly fast on this Mac.  It's truly a huge jump from
a G4 Quicksilver to a 'Nehalem' Mac Pro.

As for the internet connection I thought I had lost, I forgot I was no
longer using Airport but Ethernet connected to my Airport base station.
So, the Airport icon in the menu bar has no bars of course.  Now I can't
figure out how to get rid of the icon.  This computer has no Airport
card.

Other than that, I am making progress.  Whew.  Thank you so much for
steering me toward my solution!

Madeleine
0
wyvern (419)
6/22/2009 3:43:11 AM
Madwen wrote:
> It's truly a huge jump from
> a G4 Quicksilver to a 'Nehalem' Mac Pro.

Don't worry. Your macpro will start to appear slow soon enough. As you
open more and more tabs in firefox, you get slower and slower
performance and soon, you'll be back to your G4 performance :-)

In article <wyvern-F58E73.22431121062009@news.supernews.com>,
 Madwen <wyvern@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> As for the internet connection I thought I had lost, I forgot I was no
> longer using Airport but Ethernet connected to my Airport base station.
> So, the Airport icon in the menu bar has no bars of course.  Now I can't
> figure out how to get rid of the icon.  This computer has no Airport
> card.

System Preferences -> Network

If you can select "AirPort", there should be near the bottom a button
labeled "Show AirPort status in menu bar" that you can uncheck.

If you can't select "AirPort", things get more complicated...
0
sehix (4160)

Re: Any Problems 'Migrating' from PowerPC G4 to Intel Mac Pro?
In article <wyvern-31FDBF.16394017062009@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>, Madwen <wyvern@nospam.invalid> wrote: > > I've seen a number of old warnings about difficulties in migrating to an > > Intel Mac but not much info that is recent. I've never used the > > Migration assistant. Is it safe or would I be better off just > > transferring documents w/o the assistant? it's very safe, and is designed to handle this scenario. > > I assume all apps need to be > > installed fresh and not transferred, right? no. the only issue is that some apps might need to be reactivated on the new mac and possibly deactivated on the old mac beforehand. > > Is there any reason to use > > Migration Assistant, like settings or prefs, or are those best installed > > from scratch too? yes, it's substantially easier to run migration assistant than it is to reinstall everything from scratch. all your settings will transfer. > > I would appreciate any advice on migrating you might offer, especially > > if you have recently experienced any related snafus. Thanks. there's always the possibility something might not work, especially if you installed something out of the ordinary, but it works extremely well for nearly everyone. and if an app doesn't work, you only need to reinstall that one app. don't worry about classic apps either. they obviously won't work on the intel...

Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID',
Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID', buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, ---------------------------------------------------------- Apple DVD Studio Pro 3 for MAC DVD-158 ROUTE66 ROUTE EUROPE 2004 MAC EDITION Image DVD-060 MOTU Audio Desk v2.0 HYBRiD SN: AD200-10T49-XYEVF CD NR 17 746 CIGRAPH FACTO...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2006/December/03, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2006/December/03, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and Digital Film Lab. DFT Keyer Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Keyer Bundle includes full versions of: zMatte and Composite Suite. 55mm 7.0 Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD Glass camera filter simulation, specialized lenses, optical lab processes, film grain, matte generation, exacting color correction as well as natural light and photographic effects. Composite Suite 3.0 for Apple Final Cut Pro,1 CD Using proprietary compositing tools, matte manipulation, color correction, grain and lighting Effects, Composite Suite eradicates the most common compositing problems. Digital Film Lab 2.0 for Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The ultimate film look plug-in transforms crisp, harsh looking video into the softer, more organic look of film using the included 135 preset film looks. zMatte 2.0 for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD Intelligent blue and green screen keying that is easy to use, yet provides the tools you need when pres...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- 08/22/2007 Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10 X86 08/14/2007 Adobe CS3 Master Collection MAC OSX UB D1 .DVD 08/09/2007 Digidesign Pro Tools V7.3 LE MAC OSX 05/11/2007 Altiverb 5.1 .MAC. .PPC. OSX 04/26/2007 VTC Macromedia D...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 19/June/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 19/June/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Synthogy Ivory version 1.5, 10 DVDs Concert Grand Pianos Plug-in for AU, VST and RTAS Mac/PC Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0....

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 19/June/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 19/June/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Synthogy Ivory version 1.5, 10 DVDs Concert Grand Pianos Plug-in for AU, VST and RTAS Mac/PC Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro.for.Mac.OS 1CD Adobe Acrobat 6.0.0 Professional Mac OSX 1CD Adobe Acrobat Distiller v6.0 for MAC OSX 1CD Adobe After Effects v6.0 Professional Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.After.Effects.Professional.6.5.OSX 1CD Adobe After Effects 7.0 Pro.Mac.OSX 1DVD Adobe.Creative.Suite.2.Volume.Edition.MAC.OSX 5CD Adobe.Creative.Suite.2.Premium.MAC.OSX 6CD Adobe Creative Suite Premium Max OSX 2CD Adobe CreativeSuite 2004 MacOSX 2CD Adobe Font Folio 9.0 MAC 1CD Adobe.Font.Folio.Open.Type.Edition.Hybrid 1CD Adobe Golive v6.0 for Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.InCopy.CS2.MAC.OSX 1CD Adobe Indesign v2.0 for Mac OSX 1CD Adobe Indesign v2.0.2 retail for Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.InDesign.CS.v3.0.MAC.OSX Adobe LiveMotion v2.0 for Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.Pagemaker.V7.0.1.OSX 1CD Adobe.PageMaker.Plug-in.Pack.v1.0.for.InDesign.CS Adobe Photoshop v7.0.Mac 1CD Adobe.Photoshop.CS M...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/29, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/29, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : loa210 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , loa210 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' gr , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , loa210@mail.gr, loa210@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk ------------------------------------...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/May/19, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' #2
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/May/19, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and Digital Film Lab. DFT Keyer Bundle for Apple Fi...

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', '
2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro....

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', '
2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro....

Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID', updated 16/Feb/2005
Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID', updated 16/Feb/2005 ---------------------------------------------------------- Apple DVD Studio Pro 3 for MAC - image- DVD-158 ROUTE66 ROUTE EUROPE 2004 MAC EDITION Image DVD-060 2004/12/02 Techsmith.Camtasia.Studio.v2.1.Multi 1CD 2004/12/02 IDS.ARIS.Design.v6.2.3.Multi 1CD 2004/12/02 SampleLab.Drum.Fundamentals.Multiformat 3CD 2004/12/02 SampleLab.Luscious.GROOVES.M...

[...]

Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS',
Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and ...

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTI
2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro.for.Mac.OS 1CD Adobe Acrobat 6.0.0 Professional Mac OSX 1CD Adobe Acrobat Distiller v6.0 for MAC OSX 1CD Adobe After Effects v6.0 Professional Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.After.Effects.Professional.6.5.OSX 1CD Adobe.Creative.Suite.2.Volume.Edition.MAC.OSX 5CD Adobe.Creative.Suite.2.Premium.MAC.OSX 6CD Adobe Creative Suite Premium Max OSX 2CD Adobe CreativeSuite 2004 MacOSX 2CD Adobe Font Folio 9.0 MAC 1CD Adobe.Font.Folio.Open.Type.Edition.Hybrid 1CD Adobe Golive v6.0 for Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.InCopy.CS2.MAC.OSX 1CD Adobe Indesign v2.0 for Mac OSX 1CD Adobe Indesign v2.0.2 retail for Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.InDesign.CS.v3.0.MAC.OSX Adobe LiveMotion v2.0 for Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.Pagemaker.V7.0.1.OSX 1CD Adobe.PageMaker.Plug-in.Pack.v1.0.for.InDesign.CS Adobe Photoshop v7.0.Mac 1CD Adobe.Photoshop.CS Mac1CD Adobe.Photoshop.Elements.v2.0.for.OSX 1CD Adobe Premiere v6.5 Mac OSX 1CD Adobe.After.Effects.Production.Bundle.v5.5.fo...

Mac new Stuff, updated 2007/11/25 Nextlimit.Maxwell.Render.v1.6.MacOSX.x86, and other Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac new Stuff, updated 2007/11/25 Nextlimit.Maxwell.Render.v1.6.MacOSX.x86, and other Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' tk , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , ola@mail.gr, ola3@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk --------------------------------------- 2007/11/25 Nextlimit.Maxwell.Render.v1.6.MacOSX.x86 2007/11/19 Red.Giant.Trapcode.Form.v1.0.for.After.Effects(Win/Mac) 2007/11/16 IK.Multimedia.SampleMoog.VSTi.RTAS.AU.HYBRID 1CD 2007/11/16 IK.Multimedia.SampleMoog.Instruments.HYBRID 1DVD 2007-11-14 Adobe Font Folio 11 Open Type for Mac (1 cd) 2007-11-14 FileMaker Pro 9.0v2 Advanced for Mac (1 cd) 2007-11-14 Nemetschek VectorWorks 13.2008 with SP1 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/11/08 Adobe.Font.Folio.11(Win/Mac) 2CD 2007-11-07 Adobe Font Folio 11 Open Type for Mac (1 cd) 2007-11-06 - added Apple Mac OSX Server Leop...

Mac new Stuff, updated 2007/11/25 Nextlimit.Maxwell.Render.v1.6.MacOSX.x86, and other Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac new Stuff, updated 2007/11/25 Nextlimit.Maxwell.Render.v1.6.MacOSX.x86, and other Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other please send e...

Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULT #2
Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and ...

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTI #2
[...]

Mac new Stuff, updated 2007/11/25 Nextlimit.Maxwell.Render.v1.6.MacOSX.x86, and other Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'H #2
Mac new Stuff, updated 2007/11/25 Nextlimit.Maxwell.Render.v1.6.MacOSX.x86, and other Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other please send e-mail to : ...

Problems with differences between 'system' and 'exec' functions
Hi, I have an application that needs to fork off an application (xulrunner). There is some difference that means 'system' works and 'execl' doesn't quite. I can fork, get everything setup including directories and environment variables, and execute: system( "./xulrunner/xulrunner-bin application.ini"); it works fine, xulrunner starts and keeps running. However, if I use what I believe should be the exact equivalent: execl( "./xulrunner/xulrunner-bin", "xulrunner-bin", "application.ini", (char*)0 ); in exac...

Web resources about - Any Problems 'Migrating' from PowerPC G4 to Intel Mac Pro? - comp.sys.mac.system