Apple Mail or web based mail?

My dsl isp's email address domain is sbcglobal.net, a rewrapping of
yahoo account. So far I have been checkimg mail at their web site with
safari.

I have never used Apple Mail and was wondering it it would be better
or more convenient in anyway? Can I download all the folders I have
saved at sbc?

All opinions appreciated but specially from people who have experience
with sbcglobal email. Thanks.
0
newbie (77)

Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:

> My dsl isp's email address domain is sbcglobal.net, a rewrapping of
> yahoo account. So far I have been checkimg mail at their web site with
> safari.
>
> I have never used Apple Mail and was wondering it it would be better
> or more convenient in anyway? Can I download all the folders I have
> saved at sbc?
>
> All opinions appreciated but specially from people who have experience
> with sbcglobal email. Thanks.

If their servers support POP, then there's no reason not to. Indeed, you
can easily run both in tandem. If you set Mail to never delete messages
after download, you can store them on the webmail account *and* in
Mail's own folders.

You might find Gmail better too, as they also store outgoing mail sent
from a Gmail account, even from a local mailer.

--
Andy Hewitt **  FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

The 2GB Yahoo mail accounts are *great* freebies with DSL accounts.
With the re-write they are currently working on, you will soon have a
ample amount of storage space on the best webmail system available (m
pinion of course, with the possible excpetion of the *rich* OW
client).  I pay extra for that (the 2GB Yahoo account) because I lik
the speed of cable over the DSL options in my area.

So to answer your question plainly, no.  I do not belive it will be an
more convenient than using the webmail system alone, other than havin
offline access to you mail

--
boutwel
boutwell's Profile: http://www.macosx.com/forums/member.php?userid=5853

Entity Andy Hewitt spoke thus:

> You might find Gmail better too, as they also store outgoing mail sent
> from a Gmail account, even from a local mailer.
I strongly endorse GMail. I send and receive mail in Entourage with Gmail no
problem.
If you want an invitation just say so.

-- Gnarlie
echo ngraoliduo@smgia.locm |sed 's/\(.\)\(.\)/\2\1/g'

0
gnarlodious2 (835)
11/14/2005 10:56:07 PM
Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Entity Andy Hewitt spoke thus:
>
> > You might find Gmail better too, as they also store outgoing mail sent
> > from a Gmail account, even from a local mailer.
> I strongly endorse GMail. I send and receive mail in Entourage with Gmail no
> problem.
> If you want an invitation just say so.

By far the best mail service I've used to date. The only problem I found
is it won't allow downloading to more than one client using POP.

Apart from that, the tagging system works a dream, and I love the way it
captures sent mail from my local mail client, and then groups them with
the messages already on the server.

--
Andy Hewitt **  FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
<http://andyhewitt.webhop.net/>
(updated Nov. 2005)
0
hairy.biker2 (116)
11/15/2005 12:12:18 AM
Entity Andy Hewitt spoke thus:

> he only problem I found
> is it won't allow downloading to more than one client using POP.
I suppose this means once you've downloaded the message to one machine you
can't download it to another machine.

I've been appreciating Entourage's "Delete From Server" button, it works
well with the GMail server to delete stuff you KNOW you don't want. You can
always retrieve the message from Webmail on another machine.

I'm already imagining a dedicated Gmail app for Mac... 3 buttons: "Delete
from server", "Mark unread on server, and "Archive on server". You could
also move your messages to folders, access your contacts and Lord knows what
else.

Like I said on another discussion here, IMAP is on its way to obsolescence.

-- Gnarlie
echo ngraoliduo@smgia.locm |sed 's/\(.\)\(.\)/\2\1/g'

0
gnarlodious2 (835)
11/15/2005 3:12:33 AM
Gnarlodious wrote:
> Like I said on another discussion here, IMAP is on its way to obsolescence.

To be replaced by... SMTP and GMail?

Riiiight.

-- Steve
0
sdfisher (2069)
11/15/2005 5:09:32 AM
Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Entity Andy Hewitt spoke thus:
>
> > he only problem I found
> > is it won't allow downloading to more than one client using POP.
> I suppose this means once you've downloaded the message to one machine you
> can't download it to another machine.
>
> I've been appreciating Entourage's "Delete From Server" button, it works
> well with the GMail server to delete stuff you KNOW you don't want. You can
> always retrieve the message from Webmail on another machine.

That's the problem though, I have set my clients to not remove from
server, all the mail is still in the webmail account, but once you've
downloaded it once, you cannot again using another computer or client.
The only way is to set it to allow POP downloads 'from' in prefs, but
this resends every message you have stored.

The flag for downloading seems to be set server side by Gmail.