Hi.

Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife
like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this!
Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008
MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one
from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to
import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his
photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new
one is any better.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)

On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife
> like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this!
> Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008
> MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one
> from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to
> import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his
> photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new
> one is any better.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Every new Mac comes with iLife. It is not a part of OS X and never was. An new version of OS X
does not and never did include iLife.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

larry.gusaas (156)
9/21/2012 10:20:34 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife
> like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x).

As Larry said, iLife is not part of Mac OS X. They are separate
products.

New Macs are supplied with the version of Mac OS X _and_ the version of
iLife which were current at the time the Mac was assembled.

If you install a later major version of Mac OS X as an upgrade on an
existing Mac, you will still have the same version of iLife as you had
before. If you want a later major version of iLife for that Mac, you
need to buy it.

If you buy a new Mac which comes with a later version of OS X, it will
also have come with a later version of iLife preinstalled. If you use
Apple's Migration Assitant (or Setup Assistant during initial setup), it
can copy user accounts over to the new computer, which will include the
iPhoto library. The new version of iPhoto will update the older iPhoto's
library to work with the new version, and then you can use the new
version. (If the older iPhoto was very old you may need to download and
run a separate conversion tool.)

If you use Migration/Setup assistant to copy applications, it does NOT
copy an older version of iPhoto if it finds a newer version already
present.

In this case (based on other threads), you are actually talking about
moving from an older Mac to one which came with Lion preinstaled, which
is going to be upgraded to Mountain Lion. The new computer will already
have the current major versions of iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband
installed, but they might need to updated to the latest minor versions
(via App Store) to work properly in Mountain Lion.

The following is mainly for education purposes to cover the situation of
upgrading an older Mac to a later version of iLife.

Over the last several years, the iLife versions have been:

iLife '04 (January 2004)
iLife '05 (January 2005)
iLife '06 (January 2006)
iLife '08 (August 2007)
iLife '09 (January 2009)
iLife '11 (October 2010)

If your client has a Mac that came with Mac OS X 10.5 preinstalled, then
it probably has iLife '08, but might have iLife '09 if it was bought far
enough into 2009. (Mac OS X 10.5 was the current version from October
2007 to August 2009.)

iLife was sold as a retail product on DVD until about mid 2011. Apple
also started selling the iLife '11 versions of iPhoto, iMovie and
Garageband as individual products via the App Store from early 2011.

The DVD edition of iLife '11 has been discontinued but you might still
be able to find it via sources such as Amazon or eBay.

There are some differences between the DVD and App Store editions:

- The iLife '11 DVD includes iDVD and iWeb in addition to iPhoto, iMovie
and Garageband. (iDVD wasn't updated after iLife '08, so your client
will already have the current version. iWeb was updated in iLife '09, so
your client might have iWeb 2.x and the only way to get iWeb 3.x is via
the iLife '09 or iLife '11 retail DVD.)

- The DVD edition was sold as single licence and family pack variants.
You are only allowed to install the single licence edition on one
computer. The family pack is allowed to be installed on up to five
computers in one household. The App Store editions of iPhoto, iMovie and
Garageband can be installed for personal use on an unlimited number of
Macs you own or control.

- Minor updates for the DVD edition are delivered via Software Update
(which are delivered through App Store in Mountain Lion, but using a
separate mechanism) or can be manually downloaded from
http://support.apple.com/downloads. Minor updates for the App Store
editions of iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband are delivered via App Store.

- Assuming you were able to buy the DVD edition at its original retail
price, the App Store editions work out cheaper, especially if you want
to install them on multiple computers, or you only want some of the
applications, or you are outside the US and the DVD was ridiculously
overpriced due to a bad exchange rate when it was released (in early
2011).

- The DVD edition supports older OS versions: iLife '11 will work on
Snow Leopard if installed from DVD, but the App Store editions of iPhoto
and iMovie currently require Lion (10.7.5 or 10.7.4 respecitvely) or
later.

> I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on
> his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use
> the old one from 10.5.8?

Assuming you were talking about upgrading that computer to Mountain
Lion, the actual question is whether iPhoto '08 or iPhoto '09 will work
on Mountain Lion. You can check which version of iPhoto your client has
by using the About iPhoto command in the iPhoto menu (while it is
running).

Note that the prominently displayed name ("iPhoto '08" or "iPhoto '09")
is the name of the product (referencing the iLife edition it came with),
but the application version number of the application (in smaller print)
will be 7 point something for iPhoto '08, or 8 point something for
iPhoto '09.

From brief observations of them running on other people's computers, I'd
say those versions of iPhoto seem to work OK, but I haven't used them
extensively. Looking at <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> for iPhoto,
its page is <http://roaringapps.com/app:4>. I see there is a comment
from someone that iPhoto 8.x ("iPhoto '09") hangs on Mountain Lion if
you try to view events containing thousands of photos, but otherwise
seems to be OK. No comments on iPhoto 7.x ("iPhoto '08") running on
Mountain Lion.

There have been several updates to iPhoto which take advantage of new
features in Lion and Mountain Lion, and those updates are only available
if you have iPhoto 9.x ("iPhoto '11").

The easiest and cheapest way to get iPhoto 9.x for an older Mac is to
buy it from the App Store. You can also go there to see sample screen
shots before buying, and read the reviews.

> Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old
> image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled
> he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better.

iPhoto 9.x had a major user interface redesign which some people don't
like. I'm sure a Google search will turn up details. I'm using it and am
happy with it, though I wouldn't call myself a heavy user.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife
>> like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this!
>> Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008
>> MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one
>> from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to
>> import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his
>> photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new
>> one is any better.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Every new Mac comes with iLife. It is not a part of OS X and never was.
> An new version of OS X does not and never did include iLife.

But if you have iLife Apps they will be updated to work with OSX changes.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hi.

> Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife
> like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x).

OS X did not come with iLife. New Macs come with iLife, but that is not
part of the system install. In fact, they were usually on "Disc 2" of
the installer.

--
The other cats just think he's a tosser. --Neil Gaiman
1
Phillip Jones <pjonescet@comcast.net> wrote:

> Larry Gusaas wrote:
> > On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife
> >> like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this!
> >> Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008
> >> MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one
> >> from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to
> >> import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his
> >> photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new
> >> one is any better.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance. :)
> >
> > Every new Mac comes with iLife. It is not a part of OS X and never was.
> > An new version of OS X does not and never did include iLife.
> >
> But if you have iLife Apps they will be updated to work with OSX changes.

Not if they are older major versions.

Apple is currently supplying updates for the major versions of the
applications included with iLife '11: iPhoto 9, iMovie 9 and GarageBand
6.

If you have iLife '09 or older, there have been no iPhoto 8, iMovie 8 or
Garageband 5 (or older) updates relating to Lion or Mountain Lion. The
support and compatibility situations for those versions is unknown as
Apple hasn't said anything. We can only determine compatibility
anecdotally. If it turns out that there is a problem and Apple doesn't
release an update, your only recourse is to buy the latest version of
the application.

Apple did issue updates to iWeb 3 and iDVD 7 about the time Lion was
released. Those versions were also part of the iLife '11 DVD
distribution (and preinstalled on Macs between about October 2010 and
the introduction of Lion).

That iWeb version was also part of iLife '09, and that iDVD version was
also part of iLife '09 and iLife '08, but I wouldn't draw any
conclusions from the fact they were updated for Lion. The updates may
have just been because they were also part of iLife '11, and they were
still supported. Apple may not be supporting iLife '09 or earlier any
more.

Past evidence suggests that Apple supplies iLife updates for up to about
two years after that version was introduced. For example, iLife '06
(January 2006) got some Leopard compatibility updates in October 2007,
even though iLife '08 had been released by then.

iLife '08 (August 2007) didn't get any updates for Snow Leopard, but it
might not have needed any. Its updates spanned about 18 months (not
counting iDVD).

iLife '09 (January 2009) was being updated well into the lifetime of
Snow Leopard. Its updates spanned about 14 months (not counting iDVD or
iWeb).

So far, iLife '11 (October 2010) has been getting updates for almost two
years and none of the applications have been replaced by new major
versions.

Given the timeline, I expect iLife '09 and earlier are not being
supported any more, and if there was a new compatibility issue, Apple
would not update iPhoto 8, iMovie 8, Garageband 5, or earlier versions.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

>> Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife
>> like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x).
>
> OS X did not come with iLife. New Macs come with iLife, but that is not
> part of the system install. In fact, they were usually on "Disc 2" of
> the installer.

Discs? We didn't see any discs. MBP did come with iLife applications
preinstalled. :(
--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
  | |o   o| |
  Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> On 9/21/2012 9:09 PM PT, Lewis typed:

>>> Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife
>>> like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x).
>>
>> OS X did not come with iLife. New Macs come with iLife, but that is not
>> part of the system install. In fact, they were usually on "Disc 2" of
>> the installer.

> Discs? We didn't see any discs. MBP did come with iLife applications
> preinstalled. :(

Yes, iLife apps come with a COMPUTER. They do not come with an OS.

--
The world is made of four elements: Earth, Air, Fire and Water.  This is
a fact well known even to Corporal Nobbs. It's also wrong.  There's a

> As Larry said, iLife is not part of Mac OS X. They are separate
> products.
>
> New Macs are supplied with the version of Mac OS X _and_ the version of
> iLife which were current at the time the Mac was assembled.
>
> If you install a later major version of Mac OS X as an upgrade on an
> existing Mac, you will still have the same version of iLife as you had
> before. If you want a later major version of iLife for that Mac, you
> need to buy it.

What about clean installation of 10.8.2 after erasing the HDD/partition?
Do I go to App Store to redwonload these programs and are they the
latest versions like the preinstalled ones or latest versions?

> ... If you use
> Apple's Migration Assitant (or Setup Assistant during initial setup), it
> can copy user accounts over to the new computer, which will include the
> iPhoto library. The new version of iPhoto will update the older iPhoto's
> library to work with the new version, and then you can use the new
> version. (If the older iPhoto was very old you may need to download and
> run a separate conversion tool.)

Oh good. FYI, the old MBP's Mac OS X 10.5.8 is using iPhoto '08 v7.1.5
(378). I hope this is OK. If not, then I will follow-up on what to do
next. ;)

> If you use Migration/Setup assistant to copy applications, it does NOT
> copy an older version of iPhoto if it finds a newer version already
> present.

I am not going to copy old applications from the old 2008 MBP's Mac OS X
10.5.8. I will do new installations of the latest versions including
Office 2011.

> In this case (based on other threads), you are actually talking about
> moving from an older Mac to one which came with Lion preinstaled, which
> is going to be upgraded to Mountain Lion. The new computer will already
> have the current major versions of iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband
> installed, but they might need to updated to the latest minor versions
> (via App Store) to work properly in Mountain Lion.
>
> The following is mainly for education purposes to cover the situation of
> upgrading an older Mac to a later version of iLife.
>

> Over the last several years, the iLife versions have been:
>
> iLife '04 (January 2004)
> iLife '05 (January 2005)
> iLife '06 (January 2006)
> iLife '08 (August 2007)
> iLife '09 (January 2009)
> iLife '11 (October 2010)
>
> If your client has a Mac that came with Mac OS X 10.5 preinstalled, then
> it probably has iLife '08, but might have iLife '09 if it was bought far
> enough into 2009. (Mac OS X 10.5 was the current version from October
> 2007 to August 2009.)

iPhoto '08 v7.1.5 (378) when I checked on the old MBP.

>> I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on
>> his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use
>> the old one from 10.5.8?
>
> Assuming you were talking about upgrading that computer to Mountain
> Lion, the actual question is whether iPhoto '08 or iPhoto '09 will work
> on Mountain Lion. You can check which version of iPhoto your client has
> by using the About iPhoto command in the iPhoto menu (while it is
> running).
>
> Note that the prominently displayed name ("iPhoto '08" or "iPhoto '09")
> is the name of the product (referencing the iLife edition it came with),
> but the application version number of the application (in smaller print)
> will be 7 point something for iPhoto '08, or 8 point something for
> iPhoto '09.
>
>  From brief observations of them running on other people's computers, I'd
> say those versions of iPhoto seem to work OK, but I haven't used them
> extensively. Looking at <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> for iPhoto,
> its page is <http://roaringapps.com/app:4>. I see there is a comment
> from someone that iPhoto 8.x ("iPhoto '09") hangs on Mountain Lion if
> you try to view events containing thousands of photos, but otherwise
> seems to be OK. No comments on iPhoto 7.x ("iPhoto '08") running on
> Mountain Lion.
>
> There have been several updates to iPhoto which take advantage of new
> features in Lion and Mountain Lion, and those updates are only available
> if you have iPhoto 9.x ("iPhoto '11").

I just hope the preinstalled iPhoto '11 can read his old iPhoto images
after the data migration.

>> Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old
>> image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled
>> he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better.
>
> iPhoto 9.x had a major user interface redesign which some people don't
> like. I'm sure a Google search will turn up details. I'm using it and am
> happy with it, though I wouldn't call myself a heavy user.

I did a quick look at it, and its design looked the same to me. [shrugs]
--
"Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways and be wise: which
having no guide, overseer or ruler, provideth her meat in the summer and

>>> OS X did not come with iLife. New Macs come with iLife, but that is not
>>> part of the system install. In fact, they were usually on "Disc 2" of
>>> the installer.
>
>> Discs? We didn't see any discs. MBP did come with iLife applications
>> preinstalled. :(
>
> Yes, iLife apps come with a COMPUTER. They do not come with an OS.

OK. And this MBP didn't come with a Mac OS X disc either. :/
--
"The shadows now so long do grow,... That brambles like tall cedars
show,... Molehills seem mountains, and the ant... Appears a monstrous

 >>> Every new Mac comes with iLife. It is not a part of OS X and never was.
>>> An new version of OS X does not and never did include iLife.
>>>
>> But if you have iLife Apps they will be updated to work with OSX changes.
>
> Not if they are older major versions.
>
> Apple is currently supplying updates for the major versions of the
> applications included with iLife '11: iPhoto 9, iMovie 9 and GarageBand
> 6.
>
> If you have iLife '09 or older, there have been no iPhoto 8, iMovie 8 or
> Garageband 5 (or older) updates relating to Lion or Mountain Lion. The
> support and compatibility situations for those versions is unknown as
> Apple hasn't said anything. We can only determine compatibility
> anecdotally. If it turns out that there is a problem and Apple doesn't
> release an update, your only recourse is to buy the latest version of
> the application.
>
> Apple did issue updates to iWeb 3 and iDVD 7 about the time Lion was
> released. Those versions were also part of the iLife '11 DVD
> distribution (and preinstalled on Macs between about October 2010 and
> the introduction of Lion).
>
> That iWeb version was also part of iLife '09, and that iDVD version was
> also part of iLife '09 and iLife '08, but I wouldn't draw any
> conclusions from the fact they were updated for Lion. The updates may
> have just been because they were also part of iLife '11, and they were
> still supported. Apple may not be supporting iLife '09 or earlier any
> more.
>
> Past evidence suggests that Apple supplies iLife updates for up to about
> two years after that version was introduced. For example, iLife '06
> (January 2006) got some Leopard compatibility updates in October 2007,
> even though iLife '08 had been released by then.
>
> iLife '08 (August 2007) didn't get any updates for Snow Leopard, but it
> might not have needed any. Its updates spanned about 18 months (not
> counting iDVD).
>
> iLife '09 (January 2009) was being updated well into the lifetime of
> Snow Leopard. Its updates spanned about 14 months (not counting iDVD or
> iWeb).
>
> So far, iLife '11 (October 2010) has been getting updates for almost two
> years and none of the applications have been replaced by new major
> versions.
>
> Given the timeline, I expect iLife '09 and earlier are not being
> supported any more, and if there was a new compatibility issue, Apple
> would not update iPhoto 8, iMovie 8, Garageband 5, or earlier versions.

This new MBP's Mac OS X 10.7.3 came with iPhoto '11 v9.2.3 (629.52). I
didn't check the other two iLife applications since my client doesn't
use those two. It sounds like it will be fine in the latest 10.8.2. I
hope it can handle old iPhoto '08 v7.1.5 (378) photographs/photos. that
existed since mid 2008 from the upcoming data migrations (assuming under
user account).
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
  | |o   o| |
Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> On 9/21/2012 10:44 PM PT, David Empson typed:
>
>  >>> Every new Mac comes with iLife. It is not a part of OS X and never was.
> >>>
> >> But if you have iLife Apps they will be updated to work with OSX changes.
> >
> > Not if they are older major versions.
> >
> > Apple is currently supplying updates for the major versions of the
> > applications included with iLife '11: iPhoto 9, iMovie 9 and GarageBand
> > 6.

[...]

> This new MBP's Mac OS X 10.7.3 came with iPhoto '11 v9.2.3 (629.52).

The correct way to describe this is:

"This new MacBook Pro came with Mac OS X 10.7.3 and iPhoto '11 v9.2.3
(629.52)."

iPhoto is not part of Mac OS X. It is a separate application bundled
with the Mac. (Same goes for iMovie and Garageband.)

> I didn't check the other two iLife applications since my client doesn't
> use those two. It sounds like it will be fine in the latest 10.8.2.

iPhoto will need to be updated to version 9.3 or later to support
Mountain Lion correctly (the current version is 9.4). You will be able
to get the latest version from the App Store as a free update to iPhoto
9.2.3, which you can do while running Lion, or after upgrading to
Mountain Lion.

> I hope it can handle old iPhoto '08 v7.1.5 (378) photographs/photos. that
> existed since mid 2008 from the upcoming data migrations (assuming under
> user account).

Yes. After the user account is migrated, when you run iPhoto 9 as the
migrated user, it will tell you that the iPhoto library needs to be
updated to work with iPhoto 9. Click OK (or whatever the appropriate
button is labelled), and iPhoto will proceed to update the library. Once
it is done, you can start using iPhoto.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> On 9/21/2012 5:46 PM PT, David Empson typed:
>
> > As Larry said, iLife is not part of Mac OS X. They are separate
> > products.
> >
> > New Macs are supplied with the version of Mac OS X _and_ the version of
> > iLife which were current at the time the Mac was assembled.
> >
> > If you install a later major version of Mac OS X as an upgrade on an
> > existing Mac, you will still have the same version of iLife as you had
> > before. If you want a later major version of iLife for that Mac, you
> > need to buy it.
>
> What about clean installation of 10.8.2 after erasing the HDD/partition?
> Do I go to App Store to redwonload these programs and are they the
> latest versions like the preinstalled ones or latest versions?

[Covering this in another post. Too many parallel threads and
sub-threads in which you are asking the same questions.]

> > ... If you use Apple's Migration Assitant (or Setup Assistant during
> > initial setup), it can copy user accounts over to the new computer,
> > which will include the iPhoto library. The new version of iPhoto will
> > update the older iPhoto's library to work with the new version, and then
> > you can use the new version. (If the older iPhoto was very old you may
> > need to download and run a separate conversion tool.)
>
> Oh good. FYI, the old MBP's Mac OS X 10.5.8 is using iPhoto '08 v7.1.5
> (378). I hope this is OK. If not, then I will follow-up on what to do
> next. ;)

Fine (see other post).

> > If you use Migration/Setup assistant to copy applications, it does NOT
> > copy an older version of iPhoto if it finds a newer version already
> > present.
>
> I am not going to copy old applications from the old 2008 MBP's Mac OS X
> 10.5.8. I will do new installations of the latest versions including
> Office 2011.

Fair enough. You can migrate just user accounts and not the
applications.

> > There have been several updates to iPhoto which take advantage of new
> > features in Lion and Mountain Lion, and those updates are only available
> > if you have iPhoto 9.x ("iPhoto '11").
>
> I just hope the preinstalled iPhoto '11 can read his old iPhoto images
> after the data migration.

Yes.

> >> Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old
> >> image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled
> >> he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better.
> >
> > iPhoto 9.x had a major user interface redesign which some people don't
> > like. I'm sure a Google search will turn up details. I'm using it and am
> > happy with it, though I wouldn't call myself a heavy user.
>
> I did a quick look at it, and its design looked the same to me. [shrugs]

iPhoto 9 has much more use of black backgrounds rather than white, and
the photo information display during editing (via a pane on the right
side) is significantly different, occupying a lot more screen space than
older versions.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

>> This new MBP's Mac OS X 10.7.3 came with iPhoto '11 v9.2.3 (629.52).
>
> The correct way to describe this is:
>
> "This new MacBook Pro came with Mac OS X 10.7.3 and iPhoto '11 v9.2.3
> (629.52)."
>
> iPhoto is not part of Mac OS X. It is a separate application bundled
> with the Mac. (Same goes for iMovie and Garageband.)

Thanks. :)

>> I didn't check the other two iLife applications since my client doesn't
>> use those two. It sounds like it will be fine in the latest 10.8.2.
>
> iPhoto will need to be updated to version 9.3 or later to support
> Mountain Lion correctly (the current version is 9.4). You will be able
> to get the latest version from the App Store as a free update to iPhoto
> 9.2.3, which you can do while running Lion, or after upgrading to
> Mountain Lion.

I assume this is the same with clean Mountain Lion/10.8.2 installation too.

>> I hope it can handle old iPhoto '08 v7.1.5 (378) photographs/photos. that
>> existed since mid 2008 from the upcoming data migrations (assuming under
>> user account).
>
> Yes. After the user account is migrated, when you run iPhoto 9 as the
> migrated user, it will tell you that the iPhoto library needs to be
> updated to work with iPhoto 9. Click OK (or whatever the appropriate
> button is labelled), and iPhoto will proceed to update the library. Once
> it is done, you can start using iPhoto.

OK cool! I hope that works well and quickly.
--
"I do not believe that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless and
sterile battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming--always
In comp.sys.mac.system David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> iPhoto will need to be updated to version 9.3 or later to support
> Mountain Lion correctly (the current version is 9.4). You will be able
> to get the latest version from the App Store as a free update to iPhoto
> 9.2.3, which you can do while running Lion, or after upgrading to
> Mountain Lion.

I'm still using iPhoto 7.1.5 with Mountain Lion and it works just as
well as it did under Snow Leopard. No need to upgrade if you don't want
to.

--
K.

Te tetted e tettetett tettet? Te tettetett tettek tettetett tettese, te!
1
me9 (1688)
9/22/2012 9:37:09 PM
Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> On 9/22/2012 4:06 AM PT, David Empson typed:
>
> > iPhoto will need to be updated to version 9.3 or later to support
> > Mountain Lion correctly (the current version is 9.4). You will be able
> > to get the latest version from the App Store as a free update to iPhoto
> > 9.2.3, which you can do while running Lion, or after upgrading to
> > Mountain Lion.
>
> I assume this is the same with clean Mountain Lion/10.8.2 installation too.

Makes no difference.

(It turns out you actually need to update iPhoto 9.2.3 to 9.3.2 or later
to fully support Mountain Lion features and possibly fix compatibility
issues - see my reply to Kir�ly in the adjacent branch, in which I've
quoted the release notes.)

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
Király <me@home.spamsucks.ca> wrote:

> In comp.sys.mac.system David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> > iPhoto will need to be updated to version 9.3 or later to support
> > Mountain Lion correctly (the current version is 9.4). You will be able
> > to get the latest version from the App Store as a free update to iPhoto
> > 9.2.3, which you can do while running Lion, or after upgrading to
> > Mountain Lion.
>
> I'm still using iPhoto 7.1.5 with Mountain Lion and it works just as
> well as it did under Snow Leopard. No need to upgrade if you don't want
> to.

That's a useful data point as I hadn't seen any comments yet on
experiences with iPhoto 7.x (from iLife '08) on Mountain Lion.

Not paritcularly relevant here, as I was talking about updating from
iPhoto 9.2.3 (which is what Ant's client has, and was mentioned earlier
in that post).

9.3 through 9.4 are free updates from 9.2.3, and some of them contain
important bug fixes, even if not running Mountain Lion. (All of these
versions require Lion or later.)

Here are the release notes:

What's New in Version 9.3

• iPhoto can now open libraries from Aperture 3.3 or later
• AVCHD video is now supported
• The Description field now automatically expands as needed when
entering text
• You can now flag a photo in Magnify (1-up) view by clicking a Flag
icon displayed in the upper left corner of the photo
• Keywords and titles are now preserved when exporting files with
embedded GPS location data
• A new Export option allows you to automatically organize exported
photos into subfolders by event

What's New in Version 9.3.1

• Addresses a problem during the migration of albums from MobileMe
Gallery that may cause photos to be moved from their original events
into a new event called "From MobileMe"
• Fixes an issue that in rare cases could cause iPhoto to hang when
upgrading libraries

What's New in Version 9.3.2

•  Supports compatibility with OS X Mountain Lion
•  Sharing options now include Messages and Twitter
•  Includes performance and stability improvements

What's New in Version 9.4

• Adds support for Shared Photo Streams on OS X Mountain Lion
• Comments can now be added to photos after publishing them to Facebook
• New card and calendar themes have been added
• A new File menu command can be used to open the current photo library
in Aperture (if installed)
• Includes performance and stability improvements

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
1
dempson (3825)

Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store keeps offering the free 10.10 Mavericks...
Hello. Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store keeps offering the free 10.10 Mavericks when I manually check for updates. I right clicked and hid this update to make it go away. After I exit App Store and recheck for updates, it returns. Why is it not hiding? I don't want it! :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "Are you slower than an ant?" --Sai Yuk from The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk movie (English subtitles) /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | ...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step to help your Mac start up again is to identify which symptom you see. Once you know what the symptom is, you can try to fix it. Here's a list of the most common things you might see if your Mac turns on but doesn't start up. Click the link for the symptom you see, then follow the steps to fix it. You see an empty, blue screen. You might also see a progress indicator, which looks like a colored pinwheel or spinning disc. A "broken folder" icon, a prohibitory sign, or "kernel panic" message appears. Sam Walker Apple Specialist You see a blank, gray screen. A flashing question mark appears. None of the above happens, but your Mac doesn't start up. You see an empty, blue screen. You might also see a progress indicator, which looks like a colored pinwheel or spinning disc There are several different things you can try to fix this symptom. Go through eac...

Did Mac OS X 10.5.8's Airport Update reset anyone's AP to use?
Hello! I was doing big updates in Mac OS X 10.5.8 through its Software Update earlier on a client's MacBook Pro. After the required reboot, I noticed it went to an open AP (titled Linksys, duh) instead of the protected AP I was on earlier. I had to re-enter the datas and stuff even though it has a history of previous APs. Weird that it forgot the one it was just on! Did anyone experience that too with the latest Airport update? Thank you in advance. :) -- "An ant may work its (her) heart out, but it (she) can't make money." --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer. ...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/lin...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) ...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. > > I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... I *really* doubt it. 10.0 PPC doesn't run OS X Server 1.0 PPC binaries, does it? -- "This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous. And having said that, all options are on the table." -- George W. Bush in Brussels, Belgium, Feb. 22, 2005 ZnU <znu@fake.invalid> wrote: > In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, > ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > > > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. > > > > I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... > > I *really* doubt it. 10.0 PPC doesn't run OS X Server 1.0 PPC binaries, > does it? I think i...

Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros (Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?
Hello. My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser. I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect. Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for the newer ones like 10.8.2. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon the ant." --Indian /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In message <BI2dnW0DCvEIkhvNnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@earthlink.com> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote: > Hello. > My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old > parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet > printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser. > I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect. It would be cheaper to buy a decent laser printer, and you'd get a scanner and duplex and faxing <spit> in the bargin. Oh, and...

How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktops anymore?
Hi! I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple change this design? :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd be willing to bet that a good fire'd get their attention." --MacGyver in Trumbo's World episode /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Link...

3/Three usability issues in Mac OS X 10.8.5: Re(storing/covering) huge files from its Trash bin, renamed Time Machine's disk drive, and bring back Finder's sidebar external USB HDD icons?
Hi again. I just ran into a weird/an odd usability issue that bugged me in an updated Mac OS X 10.8.5 earlier: I tossed a huge 4.5 GB folder into Mac OS X 10.8.5's Trash bin. I decided to restore it back to the same exact place by dragging the folder back to the same place in Finder. However, it did a copy. Shouldn't it be a move? Isn't there a restore to the back place option? 2. I renamed an external HDD's name that was used for Time Machine (TM) back up. When I went to back up, it told me it couldn't. So, I looked at TM settings. I noticed it was looking for the old name even though it was the same exact disk. I told it to reuse the renamed disk to resume. Why is it that picky on my renamed disk drive? 3. Also, how do I get back Finder's sidebar icon for mounted external USB HDD? I accidently removed it. Unmounting and remounting doesn't make it come back. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Don't step on ants... they're people too." --a quote from ANTZ movie. /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In article <07edndf9S_Q_FszPnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>...

Lock Mac OS X 10.5.8's dock icons?
Hi! Once in a while, my client and I accidently drag an icon while clicking on it to make it go away. Is there a way to lock these dock icons so they won't move and vanish? Yes, our hands aren't steady since we're old. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) I...

Will Mac OS X 10.7.x still get updates since 10.9 is now out?
Hello. IIRC, Apple stop supporting and giving Mac OS X updates that are over two version old. Is 10.7 no longer getting updates even though I saw a Safari and iTunes update today? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "A centipede is an ant made to Canadian/government specs." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. In article <peqdnf9zzqfggvrPnZ2dnUVZ_vkAAAAA@earthlink.com>, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote: > IIRC, Apple stop supporting and giving Mac OS X updates that are over > two version old. Is 10.7 no longer getting updates even though I saw a > Safari and iTunes update today? those are apps and can run on more than just lion. In message <peqdnf9zzqfggvrPnZ2dnUVZ_vkAAAAA@earthlink.com> Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote: > Hello. > IIRC, Apple stop supporting and giving Mac OS X updates that are over > two version old. Is 10.7 no longer getting updates even though I saw a > Safari and iTunes update today? Since 10.9 is free, I would not be at all surprised if Apple dropped support for 10.7 much sooner than they would otherwise. Most any machine in the last 6 years can run 10.9. (Yes, not every...

How to delete/remove DigiNotar in Mac OS X 10.5.8's Safari?
Hello. I noticed Apple never released an update to delete/remove DigiNotar in Mac OS X 10.5.8 since I have all updates. I was able to tell Keychain to untrust it from http://fairerplatform.com/2011/09/how-to-disable-diginotar-ssl-certificate/article, but it won't let me delete it. Mac OS X just beeps at me when I hit delete key on this Intel MacBook Pro (from October 2008). I tried dragging it to the trash can, but that didn't do anything. Am I missing something? I did unlock this Keychain screen and was able to untrust. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Busy as ants hurrying...

Deleting specific files in Mac OS X 10.5.8's Trash?
Hello. In Windows and Linux/Debian's Gnome v2.30.2, I can highlight specific file(s) to delete from its recycle bin. Can I do the same in Mac OS X 10.5.8's trash? It seems like I have to empty everything or restore the one(s) to keep first before emptying it. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Since the world began, we have never exterminated. We probably shall never exterminate as much as one single insect species. If there was ever an example of an insect we cannot destroy, the fire ant is it." --an entomologist quote mentioned by Leonard Nimoy on In The Search Of: Dead...

What is a better program to replace Apple Mac OS X 10.5.7's iPhoto?
Hello! One of my clients does not like Apple Mac OS X 10.5.7's iPhoto which is limited and confusing to him. He doesn't like how albums, layouts, etc. work. We would like to know if there are better softwares (freeware if possible) to handle digital pictures/photographs on a MacBook Pro. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?" --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net \ ...

Does Mac OS X 10.8.x/Mountain Lion come with a tracker?
Hello. Just in case the MacBook gets stolen? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Imagine what it would be like to dive into a pool of army ants? You would be nothing but bone in a matter of seconds. If you're not up to that, just imagine putting your hand in a jar of them. It would have to be labeled corrosive or something." --Zhan Huan Zhou /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. In article <vPadndc7ot1MuP_NnZ2dnUVZ_rcAAAAA@earthlink.com>, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote: > Just in case the MacBook gets stolen? find my mac. <http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4006?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US> On 9/25/2012 3:43 PM PT, nospam typed: >> Just in case the MacBook gets stolen? > > find my mac. > > <http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4006?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US> OK, got iCloud account and connected, but it can't seem to find where this Mac is so far. -- "It is not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you industrious about?" --Henry David Thoreau /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Forag...

Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see the updated iTunes v11.3?
Hello. I noticed there is a newer iTunes at v11.3, but for some reason my Mac OS X 10.8.5's AppStore v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see it. However, iTunes v11.2.2 (64-bit; 3) detected an update and offered me to get it (went to App Store which doesn't see it)? What's up? My Mac OS X 10.7.5 and 10.9.4 machines did not have this problem. Did anyone else run into this especially in 10.8.5? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Stan, are you OK?" --Francine; "Yeah. Hey, you look like ants from down here. Wait, wait, those are just ants on my eyes..." --Stan from American Dad's S3E15 (Stanny Slickers 2: The Legend of Ollie's Gold) deleted scene /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. In comp.sys.mac.system Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote: > I noticed there is a newer iTunes at v11.3, but for some reason my Mac > OS X 10.8.5's AppStore v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see it. However, iTunes > v11.2.2 (64-bit; 3) detected an update and offered me to get it (went to > App Store which doesn't see it)? What's up? I don't know, but I'm at iTunes 11.2.1, and the App Store hasn't done anything about that s...

Mac OS X 10.2.8 worse then 10.1
I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader. It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a lot buggier. :-( - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the only way to get it back is to force a reboot. (I haven't had time to work out whether it only happens after using Classic, but does happen even if I have quit Classic.) - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates objects when dragging them, rather than moving the original. Apparently a known bug that FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix. - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems to happen with Illustrator documents! - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives an error message about it being a corrupt PDF, but at least the document still works fine. And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head. There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY occassional system feeze / crash. On 10/19/2013 10:01 PM PT, Your Name typed: > I &quo...

Mac OS X 10.3.9 to 10.3.8
Is there a way to go back from 10.3.9 to 10.3.8. I have protools that will not work in 10.3.9. Any ideas? thx <fromero@csudh.edu> wrote in message news:1138070312.152531.300390@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to go back from 10.3.9 to 10.3.8. I have protools that > will not work in 10.3.9. Any ideas? > Restore from the backup you made before you updated to 10.3.9, or reinstall and update from your install CD. Greg How do yu restore from a backup on a mac? Also, if I reinstall from the CDs wont that remove my applications? G.T. wrote: > <fro...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf Changes ------- Added drawer and zoom menu commands [DWa, NRi]. Added intelligent window zooming [NRi]. Added shapefile support. Added UTF-8 support [RSc]. Added cvtgxl, gvpack and gvpr tools [BSw]. Fixed page setup then close unexpectedly invoking save dialog [PRo]. HTML-like labels now work on 10.2 (use embedded expat instead of libxml2). Improved internal frameworks (added headers, consolidated dylibs). Tracked main build of 23 June. Graphviz is still free, but I'm now accepting donations for it. Enjoy! Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Added hand cursor panning [AM]. Added autocomplete for most fields [NRi]. Added support for user defaults ("Remember Settings" menu command, command line arguments to GUI) [JSc, RPa]. Fixed click on popup menu unexpectedly selecting "..." [AM]. Fixed small zooms sometimes preventing full scrolling [DJu]. Fixed allowing fonts starting with "." to be selected [NRi]. Fixed transparent backgrounds rendering opaque in bitmap output. Fixed width or height > 32767 pixels unexpectedly cropping bitmap output [AM]. Improved toolbar interaction. Improved settings descriptions and tooltips. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Mac OS X 10.8.2's firewall not enabled by default?
Hello. Is it me or is Mountain Lion's firewall not enabled by default? I didn't check in the preinstalled 10.7.x before I upgraded to it. I find that weird and puzzled why Apple did that if that was by design. Thank you in advance. :) -- "What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In article <krOdndiGo_nr38PNnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote: > Hello. > > Is it me or is Mountain Lion's firewall not enabled by default? I didn't > check in the preinstalled 10.7.x before I upgraded to it. I find that > weird and puzzled why Apple did that if that was by design. > > Thank you in advance. :) To the best of my knowledge no version of Mac OS X has enabled the firewall by default. But then again, by default Mac OS X does not enable ANY ports, so there is nothing for the firewall to protect. Keep in mind that the Firewall focuses on incoming connections, and if there are not open ports, there is nothing to protect. If you start enabling System Preferences -> Sharing services,...

Web resources about - Are Mac OS X 10.5.8's iLife programs safe to use in Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x? - comp.sys.mac.system

Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'I needed Safe Schools': Hundreds rally in Melbourne to support LGBTI student program
Armed with rainbow chalk and umbrellas, hundreds of people rallied behind the Safe Schools Coalition in Melbourne's CBD on Thursday evening. ...

Google launches the Android Beta Program, gives you easy OTA access to Android N
Google has now — as promised — just launched the Android Beta Program. With this program (much like similar programs from Apple), you can enroll ...

Want Loyal Customers? It's Time to Fix Your Loyalty Programs
With brands competing for customers' loyalty and wallets, they need a creative way to differentiate. A recent study shows that the brands with ...

India plans heat wave programs in 2 vulnerable cities
NEW DELHI (AP) — India is launching programs to protect people from extreme heat in two high-risk cities, after a devastating heat wave killed ...

Hillary Starts Jobs Program In Flint, Chelsea Assures It’s ‘Not Political’
Hillary Starts Jobs Program In Flint, Chelsea Assures It’s ‘Not Political’

Android Beta Program Now Open, Sign-Up for Android N!
The Android Beta Program is now open! As a part of the release of the first Android N Developer Preview , Google is also kicking off a beta ...

Toyota strengthens autonomous car program with new hires
Toyota wants to build a road-ready autonomous car by 2020, and it's tracking down the right expertise to help it achieve this goal. The car company ...

Cisco's CSR Program Under CEO Chuck Robbins Is Flourishing
Forbes Cisco's CSR Program Under CEO Chuck Robbins Is Flourishing Forbes Corporate social responsibility (CSR) programs are designed by companies ...

Man vs. machine: AlphaGo AI program beats Lee Sedol in first game of Go duel
... Sedol (seated at right) reviews the final moves after surrendering his first game to Google DeepMind’s AlphaGo artificial intelligence program. ...