Brother Laser printer: Network or connect via USB?

I have a simple setup: A Mac powerbook with OSX 10.4, a 2Wire
modem/router, a Brother 5250DN laser printer.

When I connected the printer, I think I had the option of "networking"
or connecting via USB. I chose the latter thinking  hard connection was
the simplest and most reliable option. Everything is within a few feet
of one another anyway.

Today, somehow I was at Brother's website and saw the possibility of
upgrading the firmware. A few steps later i was told that this is only
possible via network and not USB. ???

I don't really understand this in any depth, but have I made an
inferior choice by using USB, otherwise why should it not be possible
to upgrade my printer conencted via USB?? Should I try to reconnect my
printer as network? How would I go about it?

Thanks. All help appreciated.
0
ajanta (92)

Ajanta <ajanta@null.void> wrote:

> I have a simple setup: A Mac powerbook with OSX 10.4, a 2Wire
> modem/router, a Brother 5250DN laser printer.
>
> When I connected the printer, I think I had the option of "networking"
> or connecting via USB. I chose the latter thinking  hard connection was
> the simplest and most reliable option. Everything is within a few feet
> of one another anyway.
>
> Today, somehow I was at Brother's website and saw the possibility of
> upgrading the firmware. A few steps later i was told that this is only
> possible via network and not USB. ???

Not surprising. The firmware update mechanism probably works in a
similar manner to a router, by uploading a file using a protocol which
is based on TCP/IP, such as TFTP or HTTP. That method won't work via
USB. It probably also uses a relatively simple application written in
Java to do the firmware upgrade, which has the benefit of being
cross-platform. Java is easily able to to TCP/IP communication but it
would be much harder to get it to access a proprietary mechanism via
USB.

> I don't really understand this in any depth, but have I made an
> inferior choice by using USB

Not really. A USB connection is simpler to manage from the user's
perspective (no potential for configuration errors), as long as you only
have one computer.

Network is better if you have at least two computers, as it saves having
to muck around with USB printer sharing and needing the host computer to
be awake to print anything.

> otherwise why should it not be possible to upgrade my printer
> conencted via USB??

Brother chose not to bother supporting a separate mechanism to upgrade
the firmware via USB, because the network method was sufficient, easier
to implement, and a high proportion of these printers would be used in a
network environment.

> Should I try to reconnect my printer as network? How would I go about
> it?

Does your router have any spare Ethernet ports? If so, just plug an
Ethernet cable between the printer and router, and unplug the USB cable
between the printer and computer.

You might need to enable the network interface using the printer's front
panel. Refer to the manual.

On the computer, you will need to add the printer again, as your
existing print queue will be looking for the printer on the USB port.

You can do this via System Preferences > Print & Fax, and click the Add
button. The printer should appear in the default browser, as it supports
Bonjour for network identification. (We have a networked one of the same
model at work, on a mostly Windows network, but I can see it and use it
from my Mac.)

After doing the firmware upgrade, you could revert to a USB connection,
or leave it running on Ethernet if it seems to working well enough. The
printer probably supports both interfaces being connected, but only one
can be active at a time for sending jobs to the printer.

If you don't have any spare Ethernet ports on your router, you could
temporarily connect the printer directly to the computer via Ethernet,
so you can do the firmware upgrade, then revert to USB.

Alternatively you could replace your router with one which has more
Ethernet ports, or add an Ethernet switch to allow more devices to be
connected to your router.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

> I have a simple setup: A Mac powerbook with OSX 10.4, a 2Wire
> modem/router, a Brother 5250DN laser printer.
>
> When I connected the printer, I think I had the option of "networking"
> or connecting via USB. I chose the latter thinking  hard connection was
> the simplest and most reliable option. Everything is within a few feet
> of one another anyway.
>
> Today, somehow I was at Brother's website and saw the possibility of
> upgrading the firmware. A few steps later i was told that this is only
> possible via network and not USB. ???

Brother expected that a 5250DN would probably be networked; they have a
cheaper version of the same unit which doesn't have the networking built in,
and figured that anyone who bought the one with the 'N' in its name bought it
to network it. Certainly that's why I bought an example of the 2070N instead
of the 2040, which are identical, except that the 2070N has an Ethernet port
while the 2040 doesn't, and the 2040 cost $50 less than the 2070N.

> I don't really understand this in any depth, but have I made an
> inferior choice by using USB, otherwise why should it not be possible
> to upgrade my printer conencted via USB?? Should I try to reconnect my
> printer as network? How would I go about it?

Get out the user guide .PDF that came with the printer. If you can't find the
printer's system CD anymore, a copy is available on Brother's site, just go
to Support and enter your printer's name. It will tell you exactly how to set
up the printer over Ethernet. The quick&dirty method is:

1 turn _off_ the printer.

2 unplug the USB cable from both the printer and the Mac.

3 plug in the Ethernet cable to the printer and a switch, either stand-alone
or built into a router. 2Wire modem/routers ship with either one Ethernet
port or a switch built in which has four to five Ethernet ports. If your
device has just one port, you'll need a stand-alone switch, which could cost
about $10-25 for a 4, 5, or 8 port unit. Plug the switch into the router,
then run cables to your Mac and the printer from the switch.

4 go to printer setup on the Mac and delete setting for the 5250DN for USB.
It might be good idea to download the latest drivers from the Brother site,
while you're getting the User Guide.

5 turn _on_ the printer. While the printer is on, and connected to the
network, and the Mac is on, and connected to the network, run the installer
for the printer drivers. Select 'Network Install'. The installer will look
for the printer. Brother set the printers up with Bonjour, so it should be
visible on the network. The installer will ensure that your drivers are
updated to the current drivers, that your printer is located and connected,
and that you can print over the network. If you have any other computers, run
the Brother installers on them, too. Note that Linux systems may have some
slight problems unless you go to the command line.

Once you have the printer set up, then you can run the firmware updater. It
should find the printer using Bonjour and update it.

Note that it's not strictly necessary to run the installer, if you know
TCP/IP you can install the printer yourself and it'll take less time.

> Thanks. All help appreciated.

try.not.to (2779)
5/17/2009 10:43:50 AM
In article <guopp6084i@news5.newsguy.com>,
 J.J. O'Shea <try.not.to@but.see.sig> wrote:

> 3 plug in the Ethernet cable to the printer and a switch, either stand-alone
> or built into a router. 2Wire modem/routers ship with either one Ethernet
> port or a switch built in which has four to five Ethernet ports. If your
> device has just one port, you'll need a stand-alone switch, which could cost
> about $10-25 for a 4, 5, or 8 port unit. Plug the switch into the router,
> then run cables to your Mac and the printer from the switch.

If one is using the single port 2Wire modem, they don't hve to go out
and buy a multiport router just for this.  They can just buy a Ethernet
Crossover cable.  These can be found cheap at garage sales and local
used computer stores (I got one for a friend recently at a garage sale
for 10 cents).

jt
0
starsabre3 (184)
5/17/2009 12:44:10 PM
jt august <starsabre@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>If one is using the single port 2Wire modem, they don't hve to go out
>and buy a multiport router just for this.  They can just buy a Ethernet
>Crossover cable.  These can be found cheap at garage sales and local
>used computer stores (I got one for a friend recently at a garage sale
>for 10 cents).

Do ensure that you label such a cable at both ends as being a cross over cable.  You
would not beleive how much time can be wasted trying to get a cable working until you
suddenly realize what the problem is.   Luckily I didn't waste too much time as I
have enough cables kicking around that I just grabbed another to test.

And yes some routers and switches these days are smart enough to configure
themselves.  Others aren't.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
ttoews (2789)
 "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

> And yes some routers and switches these days are smart enough to
> configure themselves.  Others aren't.

And all Macintosh computers made in the past five years (and maybe
longer) are.

--
Member National Rifle Association
Member American Civil Liberties Union
David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>Ajanta <ajanta@null.void> wrote:
>
>> I have a simple setup: A Mac powerbook with OSX 10.4, a 2Wire
>> modem/router, a Brother 5250DN laser printer.
>>
>> When I connected the printer, I think I had the option of "networking"
>> or connecting via USB. I chose the latter thinking  hard connection was
>> the simplest and most reliable option. Everything is within a few feet
>> of one another anyway.
>>
>> Today, somehow I was at Brother's website and saw the possibility of
>> upgrading the firmware. A few steps later i was told that this is only
>> possible via network and not USB. ???
>
>Not surprising. The firmware update mechanism probably works in a
>similar manner to a router, by uploading a file using a protocol which
>is based on TCP/IP, such as TFTP or HTTP. That method won't work via
>USB. It probably also uses a relatively simple application written in
>Java to do the firmware upgrade, which has the benefit of being
>cross-platform. Java is easily able to to TCP/IP communication but it
>would be much harder to get it to access a proprietary mechanism via
>USB.

Just updated the firmware on my father-in-law's HL-2040 using USB. You
download an app, it talks to the printer, downloads the appropriate
firmware from the internet and then installs it.

0
retsuhcs (143)
5/18/2009 2:45:05 PM
On Mon, 18 May 2009 10:45:05 -0400, Mike S. wrote
(in article <gurs9h$qe6$1@reader1.panix.com>):

> In article <1izvib2.1vm1m9ljkdb0zN%dempson@actrix.gen.nz>,
> David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>> Ajanta <ajanta@null.void> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a simple setup: A Mac powerbook with OSX 10.4, a 2Wire
>>> modem/router, a Brother 5250DN laser printer.
>>>
>>> When I connected the printer, I think I had the option of "networking"
>>> or connecting via USB. I chose the latter thinking  hard connection was
>>> the simplest and most reliable option. Everything is within a few feet
>>> of one another anyway.
>>>
>>> Today, somehow I was at Brother's website and saw the possibility of
>>> upgrading the firmware. A few steps later i was told that this is only
>>> possible via network and not USB. ???
>>
>> Not surprising. The firmware update mechanism probably works in a
>> similar manner to a router, by uploading a file using a protocol which
>> is based on TCP/IP, such as TFTP or HTTP. That method won't work via
>> USB. It probably also uses a relatively simple application written in
>> Java to do the firmware upgrade, which has the benefit of being
>> cross-platform. Java is easily able to to TCP/IP communication but it
>> would be much harder to get it to access a proprietary mechanism via
>> USB.
>
> Just updated the firmware on my father-in-law's HL-2040 using USB. You
> download an app, it talks to the printer, downloads the appropriate
> firmware from the internet and then installs it.

Yes, but the 2040 doesn't have an Ethernet port. The only way to do the
update is using USB, and Brother therefore set things up accordingly. (Well,
in theory they could have used the parallel port, but not even Windows
machines use parallel connections nowadays.)

try.not.to (2779)
5/18/2009 2:47:40 PM
 retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:

> In article <1izvib2.1vm1m9ljkdb0zN%dempson@actrix.gen.nz>,
> David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> >Ajanta <ajanta@null.void> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a simple setup: A Mac powerbook with OSX 10.4, a 2Wire
> >> modem/router, a Brother 5250DN laser printer.
> >>
> >> When I connected the printer, I think I had the option of "networking"
> >> or connecting via USB. I chose the latter thinking  hard connection was
> >> the simplest and most reliable option. Everything is within a few feet
> >> of one another anyway.
> >>
> >> Today, somehow I was at Brother's website and saw the possibility of
> >> upgrading the firmware. A few steps later i was told that this is only
> >> possible via network and not USB. ???
> >
> >Not surprising. The firmware update mechanism probably works in a
> >similar manner to a router, by uploading a file using a protocol which
> >is based on TCP/IP, such as TFTP or HTTP. That method won't work via
> >USB. It probably also uses a relatively simple application written in
> >Java to do the firmware upgrade, which has the benefit of being
> >cross-platform. Java is easily able to to TCP/IP communication but it
> >would be much harder to get it to access a proprietary mechanism via
> >USB.
>
> Just updated the firmware on my father-in-law's HL-2040 using USB. You
> download an app, it talks to the printer, downloads the appropriate
> firmware from the internet and then installs it.

But not on the HL-5250DN.  This is like saying "Yep, it works on my
slide rule.  Try it."

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

0
vilain2 (2187)

newbie question -- error when connecting via System DSN on any network but the SQL Server's local network
I'm very new to using SQL Server. All I'm trying to do at the moment, is create a System DSN on a Windows 2000 Professional desktop machine to connect to a SQL Server 2000 server which is running on a different network. When I try the DSN while connected to the SAME network that the SQL Server machine is on, it works fine. But when I connect from any other network, I receive the following error: Connection failed: SQLState: '01000' SQL Server Error: 10061 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpent (Connect()). Connection failed: SQLState: '08001' SQL Server Error: 17 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. Here are the settings that I'm using for my System DSN: Name: test Which SQL Server do you want to connect to? 129.22.180.203 * With SQL Server Authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user * Connect to SQL Server to obtain default settings for the additional configuration options Login ID: SA Password: <correct password entered> And in the Client Configuration: Server Alias: 129.22.180.203 Network libraries: TCP/IP Server Name: 129.22.180.203 * Dynamically determine port Also, the driver is: Microsoft SQL Server ODBC Driver version 03.85.1025 Please, if anyone has any ideas on what I am doing wrong, I can use all the help I can get!! -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ sheree ...

With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing se
With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing set to on. I am able to print from one Mac to another via sharing. What about the PC ? -- http://bergenbulldogradio.blogspot.com/ In article <il9Yg.1193$6D3.1191@trnddc01>, Marshall <notmkatzman@verizon.net> wrote: > With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my > PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. > Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing set to on. I am able to > print from one Mac to another via sharing. > What about the PC ? I looked at the System Preferences help on my Mac and this is what it says to do to get a Windows machine to access a Printer on your Mac that's set up for sharing. Hope this helps. "You can let Windows computers on your local network use any printer connected to your computer. If the Windows users install Bonjour for Windows, you can share your printer with them using Bonjour. To share a printer, open the Print & Fax preferences, then click sharing. Select the option to share printers and select the printers you want to share. Use the Bonjour Printer Wizard on the Windows computer to set up to print to your printer. Otherwise you can share your printer with Windows users by using SMB/CIFS, as described below. To share your printer with W...

Wireless networking laser printer
Hello friends, I am not a computer geek and I have a question on wirelessly networking a laser printer. I run a Microsoft Base Station (MN-500) based wireless network setup at home, connecting 3 computers. I am thinking of buying a new laser printer (Brother HL-5140; has parrallel, USB and ethernet ports) and the local Office Depot sells a couple of wireless print servers and I am trying to figure out which one suits me. The available wirelss print servers are: 1) A compact "D-link" one that attaches to the PARALLEL PORT of the printer. Sale price, $45 ...

Networking a Brother HL-1440 Laser Printer
I want to network my Brother HL-1440 Laser Printer via an inexpensive printer server in a Windows home network. I have several questions: 1. Will the HL-1440 work with an inexpensive printer server such as the Netgear PS121 (USB) or PS101 (Parallel)? 2. Is the Brother NC-2100p printer server ($150) that is made for the HL-1440 any different than the inexpensive printer servers? 3. If printer servers will work, what is the difference between networking through the USB or parallel port? Thanx in advance. ...

New Mac and connecting to a PC networked printer woes
Help! I just got a new g4 iBook and i can see the printer on the network but the mac doesn't have the right driver (HP deskjet 5550) and I tried all the other drivers but all of them end up spitting out junk from the printer. I've also tried downloading the driver for the HP printer from HP.com but after installation the driver is still not in the list of HP printer drivers and I can't find the supposed 'toolbar' the package installer was suppose to install aswell. Also I was using Windows Printing, not IP Printing ... not that I have any idea what the difference is ... ...

Network Printer no longer detected (works when I connect it using USB)
Hi, I have Brother HL-5250DN network printer hooked up to a four port LinkSys switch which is attached to a LinkSys router. It's been working great except all of a sudden the printer is no longer recognized by any of our two computers. In fact, when I try to reinstall the drivers from the CD the setup program can not detect any network printers. Any ideas? Why would this stop working all of a sudden? I have tried switching the connections. The green light on the ethernet port on the printer is on as are all the ones on the router and switch. I'd rather not go back to hooking it...

Network Printer no longer detected (works when I connect it using USB)
Hi, I have Brother HL-5250DN network printer hooked up to a four port LinkSys switch which is attached to a LinkSys router. It's been working great except all of a sudden the printer is no longer recognized by any of our two computers. In fact, when I try to reinstall the drivers from the CD the setup program can not detect any network printers. Any ideas? Why would this stop working all of a sudden? I have tried switching the connections. The green light on the ethernet port on the printer is on as are all the ones on the router and switch. I'd rather not go back to hooking it...

Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port using a USB/serial adapter? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port > using a USB/serial adapter? Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 12:28:41 -0700, thall91739@yahoo.com (Tom) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port >using a USB/serial adapter? No. USB is too complex to replicate from the legacy ports. You might be able to get a USB PC-card adaptor, if you have Win98. -- Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:36:59 +0100, "Clanger" <D231@mygoatfseltd.freeserve.co.uk> scribbled: , I thus relpy: >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 >66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF > > The OP wants the other way round, which is impossible. > >"Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message >news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... >> Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port >> using a USB/serial adapter? > -- Gary J. Tait . Em...

Individual internet connection from PC via mac network (Airport / G4)
Hallo all , We have a network set up at home comprising the Apple Airport Extreme Base station (with modem) / G4 Mac / and PC WinME with a US Robotics Wireless Card. The PC was configured to join the netwerk built up by the airport and G4 Mac. As long as the Airport was set to automatic dialing at the G4 Mac, the PC WinME with WC had no problems to connect to the internet. Based on our home set up we had to change the set up for individual connecting at the G4 Mac. As a result I cannot access the internet anymore with the PC. Since the PC does not see the Airport , I tried via Microsoft VPN Adapter to access the internet, but I failed. I am running out of ideas what I could do and I would like to ask for some help. Thanks in advance Dietmar ...

Brother MFC via USB or via a Windows computer
Hi all, I'm running gentoo in my office LAN. The MFC 3420 is connected to the USB port of my collegue whose PC is running Windows. linuxprinting.org mentions Brother as being poorly compatible with linux, So using CUPS and Samba from my gentoo box, is there a way to get sthing printed ? or is it better to print directly via my USB port ? Many thanks for all advices, On 19 Nov 2004 07:47:30 -0800, damien Wetzel wrote: > Hi all, > I'm running gentoo in my office LAN. > The MFC 3420 is connected to the USB port of my collegue whose PC is > running Windows. > linuxprinting.org mentions Brother as being poorly compatible with > linux, > So using CUPS and Samba from my gentoo box, is there a way to get > sthing printed ? > or is it better to print directly via my USB port ? > Many thanks for all advices, Well, at a previous work assignment we got a Brother MFC multi-purpose something or other and I did the office IT along with other stuff. This printer was extremely brain dead and windows and MAC clients often could not be setup to print to it over the network; however, it would usually print okay from either Windows or a OSX box using the USB cable. As far as Linux goes, I never was able to get this particular crappo multi-purpose device to actually output a single page. I run debian here so I tried a variety of different printing systems like apsfilter, cups, magicfilter, switched to lprng, tried a few web pages I found in searching, but...

USB Network Adapter or USB hub for travel connections?
I'm visiting in Finland from Canada, and staying in the home of a friend, who has Windows 98 on a desktop machine, with an ADSL high-speed connection. I'm travelling with a laptop with Windows 2000, and would like to network through her desktop to get to the Internet. (She doesn't immediately have the ADSL software or passwords available, and she's really to busy to bother finding it). I need to get my own machine onto the Internet to use Aventail to tunnel back into my work network. I would just dial up, but Finns don't have landlines in their homes anymore! ...

Replacing IBM 6400 Printer With A Network Laser Printer
We are currently using a IBM 6400 printer for most of our reports. We are thinking about switching are main reports over to print on a laser printer. The question that I have is what would be the best option. Requirements Drawer 1 - 8X11 Drawer 2 = 11X17 Overlay Printing Compatible with AS/400 V5R4 On Aug 6, 10:44=A0am, bneal69 <bnea...@gmail.com> wrote: > We are currently using a IBM 6400 printer for most of our reports. =A0We > are thinking about switching are main reports over to print on a laser > printer. > > The question that I have is what would be the best option. > > Requirements > Drawer 1 - 8X11 > Drawer 2 =3D 11X17 > Overlay Printing > Compatible with AS/400 V5R4 We provide software that will take line printer output and allow you to remap the page and create special forms and map data to print at one shot. It runs on a Windows platform and usage would be transparent when set up properly. Any windows supported laser can be used . It can also do things like MICR checks check it out www.octotools.com regards, Murray Hi, You need to look at the [url=http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss? uid=nas1ba0863cfa6463903862569c10078c903]HP printer list[/url] to ensure that they are compatible with the AS400. Thanks, Neil Thank you very much for the link. Bryan On Aug 11, 8:20=A0am, Newbie_Neil <n...@village-street.co.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > You need to look at the [url=3Dhttp://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvi...

Cannot connect to network printers
We have a network printer that seems to keep dropping the connection to the network. We have 4 computers on w2K sp4 and latest updates, all running through an eight port linksys router, with a network drive, network printer, and four computers attached. -Checked the network, it stays connected to Internet, email, our network drives, and other computers. The printer seems fine. Had a technician in, and they claimed the printer was good,the problem was our network. -checked all cables, connections, lights, etc, no problem with network. -via the network, I connected to a locally attached USB printer on another computer, and same thing, just the printer kept dropping off, no connection. Anyone got any recommendations?? ...

Network connection through a Mac?
I'm relaying this for my brother. He has a T|E2 and a Mac (OSX). How can he make a networking connection for the Palm via the cradle? Softick PPP is for Windows only. -- Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol "Commander, you are a far more spiritual man than I gave you credit for." "There are a couple of Jesuit teachers I know who might disagree with you." (Amb. G'Kar and Cmdr. Sinclair, B5 "By Any Means Necessary") On 2006-03-03 13:24...

Using network shared variables in two computers connected via a network switch
let me start by saying im a rookie to the programming environment but i have used Labview a couple of times to understand the basics,&nbsp; i have a computer and a laptop (both using vista), both of them with Labview Full development System (Student ed. with Mathscript) installed, so what im tryin to do is to use the built in microphone located in the laptop to aquire sound and then use a&nbsp;Shared Variable to transfere the sound signal from the laptop to the&nbsp;computer, the laptop and the computer are connected to a network via a network switch and ethernet cables,&nbsp; so far i nothing worked, i can manage to create the shared variable in the laptop and use it there but it doesnt appear in the computer, im not sure whats the problem i have even disabled firewalls in both systems, help from anyone wil be appreciated..... Hi Lukie, This&nbsp;KB should be of some assistance to you. <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/6E37AC5435E44F9F862570D2005FEF25?OpenDocument" target="_blank">Trouble shooting network published shared variables</a> Also the following link gives some instructions on the use of shared variables. <a href="http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvhowto/bind_to_source/" target="_blank">http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvhowto/bind_to_source/</a> <a href="http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvhowto/bind_to...

Shared USB Printer Unresponsive (Mac OS X)
Hi everyone, I'm experiencing a really annoying issue with my shared USB printer (Lexmark Z23 via MacOS X 10.3.7). It seems that it will work normally for a few days and then suddenly be unresponsive to print requests from other machines on the network. On the machine it's directly connected to, I can see that it is "PRINTING" in the Print Center, but nothing happens UNTIL I restart that printer-connected Mac. Any idea how to solve this problem and have a 24/7 working print server? Thanks, -Wendell -- ph: 773.880.1282 fx: 866.805.2744 icq: 12107743 aim: zephyrwendell gg: 7116285 y!: zephyrwendell web: http://www.zephyrsyndicate.com ...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc Jon <see_signature@mac.com.invalid> wrote: > 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx > > Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on > one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And > you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. Correction: tcp/ipp of course needs to be enabled on the ethernet port on _both_ machines. File sharing, however, is only necessary on one (preferably the Mac OS X machine). -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc In article <1hxqr6q.1u7ne805d0g7N%see_signature@mac.com.invalid>, see_signature@mac.com.invalid (Jon) wrote: > ...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The > difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have > two closely coupled and redundant PHY . > > Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, > bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some > PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? I suppose it works. Cross connect RXD[] to TXD[]. Cross connect RX_DV to TX_EN, and provide a 125 MHz clock (could be supplied from another FPGA pin) On Feb 12, 9:01=A0pm, Steve <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. =A0The > difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have > two closely coupled and redundant PHY...

Brother Laser Printer #2
I had one inkjet nozzle clog from not being used often enough and then a second one went after a long vacation (Epson RX500). I just didn=92t have the time/patience to follow Art=92s cleaning regimen. Then I found I was buying ink cartridges for colors I wasn=92t using. Since black is all I really need for occasional printing, I followed the suggestion I found on this forum: a Brother laser printer. I got the HL-2170W. It works: it=92s quick, has good resolution and I love the wireless networking. My question: since I print only one or two pages a week, sometimes even less, do you...

New connection -- USB or Network?
The WinXP picked up recently for a song has 2 USB jacks on the front panel (apparently USB.v.1) 1 Firewire jack on the front and 2 on the back and 1 Ethernet jack. On buying a new Brother DCP540CN multifunction I asked Brother if it could use the Firewire jacks (in case faster): answer = No. USB connection appeared not to work, and I thought the (Compaq Presario) USB hardware might be too slow for the printer, so got an Ethernet cable to connect the Brother unit as a Network device. (I don't know much about networks, but managed to build a wireless connecting (some of the...

Wireless laser printer for Mac?
I'd appreciate product recommendations for a wireless, low-volume, B&W laser printer for a home office, to replace two ancient but apparently indestructible Apple LaserWriter II and hp LaserJet 6MP printers that I gather will become doorstops when I upgrade from Tiger to SL and from Cat-45 Direct Ethernet cabling to Airport. Criteria: * B&W only, no color * Modest volume: few dozen to few hundred pages/day * No "All-in-one" scanner/copier/fax capabilities needed, or wanted * Multiple feed trays, duplex printing OK but also not really needed *...

USB connectivity via ethernet...
Hi, Does someone here know about hardware USB to ethernet interfaces which work under debian? I have a couple of USB devices which I need to run from a virtual debian server located a distance from these devices. So I need the hardware interface with two USB A female ports and one ethernet port and the appropriate debian drivers to make this device appear as two USB ports in my server. There are a few devices which run under windoze.... Thanks for comments and experiences. rgds geir ...

Brother laser printers and envelopes?
Followed multiple recommendations from this group -- thanks much for these -- and purchased Brother HL-5370 wireless laser printer. So far, so good, but one query: Has anyone tried printing single thin standard #10 envelopes by simply pulling down the front MP tray, loading the envelope into it, and then letting it go through and emerge into the standard output tray on top, rather than messing with the straight-through tray on the back? [On the crowded shallow closet shelf where my printer sits, opening the back output tray, pulling down the two gray levers, printing one env...

how to detect printer is not connected to system
Hi all How to detect printer is connected to the systemn ports? regards Hari hari <haricibi83@gmail.com> wrote: > How to detect printer is connected to the systemn ports? The normal procedure is to see if the cable is plugged in. -- Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA On 6 Apr 2007 11:12:07 -0700, "hari" <haricibi83@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi all >How to detect printer is connected to the systemn ports? > >regards >Hari Look in the printers and faxes folder and then print a test page. On Apr 7, 12:09 am, deke <...

Web resources about - Brother Laser printer: Network or connect via USB? - comp.sys.mac.system