Can I install OS X on an external drive?

Awhile back, I posted a message about creating a bootable external hard drive.
In addition to the method somebody gave me, could I use the installation CD-ROM
to install OS X (Panther) on an external drive?

0
dhdowning (138)

dhdowning@aol.com (DhDowning) aszonygya:
:Awhile back, I posted a message about creating a bootable external hard drive.
:In addition to the method somebody gave me, could I use the installation CD-ROM
:to install OS X (Panther) on an external drive?

Why not? I run 2 Macs like that [beige G3 towers with external SCSI drives
and with OS X 10.2.8]. /PaulN

0
nevai (183)
6/15/2004 2:38:43 AM
In article <20040614223208.23151.00000758@mb-m21.aol.com>, DhDowning
<dhdowning@aol.com> wrote:

> Awhile back, I posted a message about creating a bootable external hard
> drive.
> In addition to the method somebody gave me, could I use the installation
> CD-ROM
> to install OS X (Panther) on an external drive?

I don't see why not.  I've installed it on an iPod and run it off of
that, so I don't see why a regular drive wouldn't work just as well.
;-)

--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=

> Awhile back, I posted a message about creating a bootable external hard
> drive.
> In addition to the method somebody gave me, could I use the installation
> CD-ROM to install OS X (Panther) on an external drive?

Yes. I keep a copy on my iMac's external FW drive so that I can boot
from it to run disk utilities on the internal drive from time to time.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
0
 dhdowning@aol.com (DhDowning) wrote:

> Awhile back, I posted a message about creating a bootable external
> hard drive. In addition to the method somebody gave me, could I use
> the installation CD-ROM to install OS X (Panther) on an external
> drive?

Yes, but be aware that not all Macs can boot off of all types of
external hard drives. In particular, the first generation (or two?) of
Macs to ship with USB and FireWire can't boot from USB or FireWire
drives.

--
"In my judgment, when the United States says there will be serious consequences,
and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse consequences."
DhDowning <dhdowning@aol.com> wrote:

> Awhile back, I posted a message about creating a bootable external hard
> drive. In addition to the method somebody gave me, could I use the
> installation CD-ROM to install OS X (Panther) on an external drive?

Yes. This is what I did to install Panther on a Lombard which was giving
me all sorts of problems when the disk was internal. I whipped it out,
stuck it in a firewire enclosure, installed and put it back.

-- www.magic-hush.com    |    email on website