Can I setup a dual boot Mac with OS X and Suze Linux?

I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu.
0
oraclmaster (253)

In article
<520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bccaaf2@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
 commiebastard <oraclmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu.

Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux.

Gargle is your fiend.
0
sehix (4160)
4/8/2009 5:12:38 AM
On Apr 8, 5:12=A0am, Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
> In article
> <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bcca...@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
>
> =A0commiebastard <oraclmas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu.
>
> Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux.

S and Z are too close on the keyboard.

> Gargle is your fiend.

Is there a way to partition a space on the hard drive that can be
accessed by both operating systems?

Like if I want to have a space for data that can be written to in
Linux, then when I boot up OS X I can access the same space?

0
oraclmaster (253)
4/8/2009 8:58:37 AM
In article <sehix-B2D937.22123707042009@news.speakeasy.net>,
 Steve Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux.

That's about as tight-assed pedantic as it gets.
--
Suddenly he realized that he was alone
with a giant halfwit on a dark deserted street.

0
warren.oates (3828)
4/8/2009 11:17:45 AM
In article <49dc87c6$0$31165$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
 Warren Oates <warren.oates@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <sehix-B2D937.22123707042009@news.speakeasy.net>,
>  Steve Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>
> > Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux.
>
> That's about as tight-assed pedantic as it gets.

With all the assorted possible distros of Linux, it doesn't hurt to make
sure.

Sorry to offend your most delicate tender sensibilities, Blossom.
0
sehix (4160)
4/8/2009 5:39:02 PM
In article <sehix-7CC75F.10390108042009@news.speakeasy.net>,
 Steve Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> Sorry to offend your most delicate tender sensibilities, Blossom.

I love it when you talk dirty.
--
Suddenly he realized that he was alone
with a giant halfwit on a dark deserted street.
  -- Chester Himes

0
warren.oates (3828)

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf Changes ------- Added drawer and zoom menu commands [DWa, NRi]. Added intelligent window zooming [NRi]. Added shapefile support. Added UTF-8 support [RSc]. Added cvtgxl, gvpack and gvpr tools [BSw]. Fixed page setup then close unexpectedly invoking save dialog [PRo]. HTML-like labels now work on 10.2 (use embedded expat instead of libxml2). Improved internal frameworks (added headers, consolidated dylibs). Tracked main build of 23 June. Graphviz is still free, but I'm now accepting donations for it. Enjoy! Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta > testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance > issues for 10G on Mac OS X? The PR suggests they've been clear that the OS X release will be production quality .. though since it won't be a "volume" platform, one may wonder about this in practise. > Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G > for Mac OS X, does anybody know? From what I've seen of screenshots, I believe OEM 10g is web-based JSP, so this seems likely. But just my inference, no real info. I use remote OEM from another box on my Powerbook for now (either XWindows or Windows Remote Desktop). SQL Plus otherwise.. Cheers Stu stuartc@mac.com (Stu Charlton) wrote in message news:<21398ab6.0402020845.4f2c5027@posting.google.com>... > Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote: > Hi. > > Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife > like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! > Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 > MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one > from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to > import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his > photo(graph)s? I rec...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

Getting files from a IIGS to a Mac OS X Mac (G5)... how can you do it?
Hi all. I am the owner of a IIGS and in macdom, a G5. Back when I had a powermac 7500/100, both the Mac and IIGS were able to read and write to the same physical floppy disks, so getting games and files outta my IIGS and over to my mac was easy. And getting games off the internet and over to my IIGS was also easy (and rather miraculous-seeming). But then Macs stopped supporting floppies. Years passed, and as far as I can see, the Mac and the IIGS are almost strangers to each other now. I've read about null modem cables, but most posts on this topic archived on the net seem to be pretty ld. I'm asking in the here and now - is there a way to use a cable or two to literally connect a G5 to a IIGS and have them swap files somehow? That's what I'd love to do. Off topic - I wrote an arcadey game for the apple 2 called Dragon, in 1995, at least one long level of it. I just put up a playthrough video of it on Youtube today. If anyone's interested in seeing an essentially unseen apple 2 game, have a look. I think it's decent ;) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=icGZ467p2IU And thanks for any help on the IIGS-Mac issue. - Wade Unless you're putting files on an IDE device you can swap between the //gs and the mac (say, a flashcard), the only other option I can think of is locating an ethernet card for the //gs. That might be cost prohibitive though, so a null modem cable and a terminal program that supports z-model or y-modem batch would be your next best ...

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. > > I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... I *really* doubt it. 10.0 PPC doesn't run OS X Server 1.0 PPC binaries, does it? -- "This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous. And having said that, all options are on the table." -- George W. Bush in Brussels, Belgium, Feb. 22, 2005 ZnU <znu@fake.invalid> wrote: > In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, > ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > > > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. > > > > I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... > > I *really* doubt it. 10.0 PPC doesn't run OS X Server 1.0 PPC binaries, > does it? I think i...

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit W...

can the Mac OS X operating system be loaded on other machines?
We have a couple of high end e-machines and I am so ready to throw them out the window because of the hundreds of hours we have spent downloading fixes and updates. Can the program be installed on a regulare computer? In article <1qv2d2t7f7dv1vp17e5dh627jt5202891p@4ax.com>, sangrel@ipsprivate.com wrote: > We have a couple of high end e-machines and I am so ready to throw > them out the window because of the hundreds of hours we have spent > downloading fixes and updates. > > Can the program be installed on a regulare computer? Ehh? If you mean can Intel MacOS X run ...

Bad Mac OS X Install..Can I boot from USB CD?
Hey guys I have an iBook 300 with a dead CD-ROM drive and I need to boot from a system CD. I bought a USB CD-ROM drive but I am unable to boot from it. I have tried every key combination at startup, but I still can't boot up. What I tried to do was drag the system files from my G4 to the networked iBook, but at startup it just shows the smiley mac icon, and the rainbow pinwheel just spins-won't let me move the mouse at all. I even bought a floppy drive and attempted to startup from an old System 7 floppy....Nothing. Help? tia Kevin I doubt that you can boot with USB, fire wire yes, usb (too slow). MTC Kevin wrote: > Hey guys > > I have an iBook 300 with a dead CD-ROM drive and I need to boot from a > system CD. I bought a USB CD-ROM drive but I am unable to boot from > it. I have tried every key combination at startup, but I still can't > boot up. > > What I tried to do was drag the system files from my G4 to the > networked iBook, but at startup it just shows the smiley mac icon, and > the rainbow pinwheel just spins-won't let me move the mouse at all. I > even bought a floppy drive and attempted to startup from an old System > 7 floppy....Nothing. > > Help? > > tia > > Kevin -- http://homepage.mac.com/mkatzman/ ...

[News] Why Mac OS X Can Never Match GNU/Linux

Creating a Bootable Mac OS 9 CD in Mac OS X
I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD for emergency reboot on the old computer. My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the System Folder to the iMac, it became unblessed. How can I turn on the boot bit on the iMac running only Mac OS X and no Classic? TIA. In article <ndurant-DD1E1D.23280828022004@news.videotron.net>, Nathalie Durant <ndurant@potentium.ca> wrote: > I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate > the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD > for emergency reboot on the old computer. > > My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the > Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does > not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". > > My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must > be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the > System Folder to the iMac, it became unblessed. How...

[News] GNU/Linux Can Run as Text, Unlike Windows and Mac OS X

X forwarding from from a Mac OS X to SuSE Linux
Hi, I'm running a SuSE Linux box at home, and my girlfriend has a Mac runing OS X at her house. I'd like to xhost into my machine from hers and run something. For example: $ ssh -X susebox $ emacs & and have emacs open graphically. I've done it a million times from Linux to Linux, and even from Windows to Linux, using Cygwin's excellent X-server. I got sshd working on her machine, but now I'm stuck. What should I do? Are there some X configuration files I need to check to make sure Mac's X-server is even listening for connections? Is Mac OS X even running an X-server? If not does it have an X-server that I can install and run like Windows? Thanks. On 2003-11-21, Ones Self <nutgg001@sneakemail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I'm running a SuSE Linux box at home, and my girlfriend has a Mac > runing OS X at her house. I'd like to xhost into my machine from hers > and run something. For example: > $ ssh -X susebox > $ emacs & > > I got sshd working on her machine, but now I'm stuck. What should I do? You should start X11 on the Mac before you do the ssh invocation, and you should run the ssh command with DISPLAY set to :0.0. Of course you also need to make sure X11-forwarding is enabled on the suse machine. But it probably already is. > Are there some X configuration files I need to check to make sure Mac's > X-server is even listening for connections? No, you're not connecting...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface
I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and the Carbon methodology. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles? Byron The JNI library must be Mach-O. It must be a dylib named "lib<yourlibname>.jnilib". I'm pretty sure there is sample code for JNI libs on the Apple Developer Site. You say that your nat...

Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface
I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and the Carbon methodology. The library uses PowerPlant to display and handle a dialog box that communicates with the caller application. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles? Byron ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Gets Prettier, Mac OS X Plays Catch-up
H-K Suite [EN] ,----[ Quote ] | Suite H-K is an union of skins, themes, icons, scripts and | configuration files which got the purpose to create an elegant, | linear Desktop. Differently from meny other dark themes, I tried | to avoid reading problems in most commons programs. Here are some | screenshot from version 0.1. `---- http://embracesblog.mine.nu/?page_id=5 Apple's latest catchup: [Apple's 'Beryl/XGL'] ,----[ Quote ] | With Mac OS X, you can multitask like never before. You can run | several applications at once and have multiple windows open at the | same time very easily. But when it comes to trying to find | something specific, sorting through all of those open applications | and windows can become time consuming and frustrating at best. `---- http://www.yousoftware.com/desktops/desktops.php ...

Mac OS X on upgraded 8600 PCI Mac?
Hello all, Does anybody have experience with installing Maxc OS X on an older upgraded PCI Mac using the Sonnet PCI X installer? <http://www.sonnettech.com/downloads/osx_upgrade_sw.html> What limitations will such an install have besides the lack of speed? What about my adb mouse and other peripherals for instance? Is such an install worth the trouble? Any and all information is appreciated, Thanks, Steven -- steven@sifre.nl In article <3F19718E.1000405@sifre.nl>, Steven <steven@sifre.nl> wrote: > Does anybody have experience with installing Maxc OS X on an older > upgraded PCI Mac using the Sonnet PCI X installer? I'm writing this with 8600/200 upgraded with XLR8 G4 450 booted in Mac OS X 10.2.6 via XPostFacto. XPostFacto has its own cache enabler but I use Sonnet cache enabler because it loads eralier and thus boots faster and as a nice touch Apple System Profiler reports the enabled cache. Mac OS X 10.1.5 ran OK although somewaht slow on the stock 604e CPU -- 10.2 requires G3/4. The 8600's video connectors and LacalTalk don't work while booted in X and also the sound output is rather quiet. FW & USB PCI card (digital camera and camcorder) work as does the modem via the modem port. Also an external SCSI burner works with the Sonnet cache enabler which seems to install some SCSI related stuff. Ethernet is also OK (I'm connected via a DSL modem which does PPPoE and uses DHCP to the LAN side). The speed is OK...

Web resources about - Can I setup a dual boot Mac with OS X and Suze Linux? - comp.sys.mac.system

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

More developers now use OS X than Linux, says ‘most comprehensive survey ever conducted’
Stack Overflow reports that more developers now use OS X than Linux as their primary OS, and that if the trend continues, fewer than half of ...

Liveblog: Windows 10, HoloLens, Linux, and more at Build 2016
We're in a surprisingly warm and pleasant San Francisco for Microsoft's annual developer conference, Build, and we'll be liveblogging the opening ...

OS X and Linux threaten Windows' dominance in developer market
OS X and Linux are nowhere near as popular as Windows when we look at the PC market as a whole, but the two platforms are actually extremely ...

Pre-order the first Ubuntu Linux tablet
If you've been talking a lot about using Ubuntu Linux away from your PC or using a mobile device as your PC you now get to put your money where ...

Red Hat Starts Beta Test Cycle for Enterprise Linux 6.8
DAILY VIDEO: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.8 enters beta; Microsoft announces SharePoint 2016 release to manufacturing; Microsoft paves road to ...

Mac extends its lead over Linux among software developers, chipping away at Windows
A new survey of more than 55,000 coders shows Mac OS X distancing itself from Linux in a ranking of the most popular desktop operating systems ...