Can't see files on the network

This is driving me nuts. The VERY FIRST thing I did when I got my Mac
was to connect to the PC on the network. I moved all my Firefox and
Thunderbird files over to the Mac.

Then the PC was turned off for 2 years. :D

I've turned it back on now and I CANNOT see the files from either side.
Both sides show the other machine. When I try to see the files from
either side, I'm asked for a password. I haven't set one on either share
on the PC side. I don't remember how I made a shared folder on the Mac
side....

The PC is part of a workgroup called MalcolmO. It also sees a workgroup
named Workgroup. The Mac sees both workgroups. Both sides ask for a
password. It's not the password for the user I am on either machine.

What's the DEAL?!?!?!  Why doesn't it work? When I'd never used a Mac
and knew nothing, it worked fine. After 2 years of using the Mac, it
won't work anymore. What's the deal?

TIA for replies.
0
user3 (1546)