Canon i550 printer support under Panther

A friend of mine has recently bought a Mac - her first, but an older
733mhz graphite G4. Along with it she'd like to use her Canon i550
printer. It's perhaps 18-24 months old.

A couple of the features supported in the Windows version of the
canon drivers are Duplex printing and booklet printing, neither of
which seem to work for the Mac version of the driver. Duplex simply
isn't there, and booklet printing is always greyed out.

Is canon's printer support usually pretty dud in OSX? or is this
just an older printer that misses out on full support?

thanks :)
dana

0
dana (5)

In article <slrnd48vpm.1vf.dana@danamania.com>,
 Dana Sibera <dana@danamania.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine has recently bought a Mac - her first, but an older
> 733mhz graphite G4. Along with it she'd like to use her Canon i550
> printer. It's perhaps 18-24 months old.
>
> A couple of the features supported in the Windows version of the
> canon drivers are Duplex printing and booklet printing, neither of
> which seem to work for the Mac version of the driver. Duplex simply
> isn't there, and booklet printing is always greyed out.
>
> Is canon's printer support usually pretty dud in OSX? or is this
> just an older printer that misses out on full support?
>
> thanks :)
> dana

This is an Ink Jet printer, according to Google.  Scanning the Apple
site gives

http://downloadlibrary.usa.canon.com/cpr/pdf/Brochures/i550_spec.pdf

which doesn't show what features are available from the driver.  I take
it she installed the driver from the Mac Installation disk.

Just a SWAG, but most ink jets can't do duplex or booklet printing.
I've seen this feature on Laser printers.  My guess is that the basic
driver doesn't have this extra feature and that Canon didn't bother to
implement it for this printer driver.  There site doesn't offer any Mac
drivers, so Apple is your only source for it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac and the "But it worked on my
Windows system" lament.  Depending on how much PC hardware she still
has, you may be hearing this a lot.  But, if you think about it, had she
bought a Hybrid car to replace her gas-guzzling SUV, would she expect
her snow tires to fit the Hybrid?

You might want to take a vacation when she tries getting her USB scanner
and Windows modem work...

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
vilain (1505)
3/26/2005 1:25:34 AM
I think Michael is a bit pessimistic here.
At the very least, try going to Canon's site and downloading their
latest Mac driver for this printer.

In article <vilain-3EA1E9.17253425032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
 Michael Vilain <vilain@spamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <slrnd48vpm.1vf.dana@danamania.com>,
>  Dana Sibera <dana@danamania.com> wrote:
>
> > A friend of mine has recently bought a Mac - her first, but an older
> > 733mhz graphite G4. Along with it she'd like to use her Canon i550
> > printer. It's perhaps 18-24 months old.
> >
> > A couple of the features supported in the Windows version of the
> > canon drivers are Duplex printing and booklet printing, neither of
> > which seem to work for the Mac version of the driver. Duplex simply
> > isn't there, and booklet printing is always greyed out.
> >
> > Is canon's printer support usually pretty dud in OSX? or is this
> > just an older printer that misses out on full support?
> >
> > thanks :)
> > dana
>
> This is an Ink Jet printer, according to Google.  Scanning the Apple
> site gives

> http://downloadlibrary.usa.canon.com/cpr/pdf/Brochures/i550_spec.pdf
>
> which doesn't show what features are available from the driver.  I take
> it she installed the driver from the Mac Installation disk.
>
> Just a SWAG, but most ink jets can't do duplex or booklet printing.
> I've seen this feature on Laser printers.  My guess is that the basic
> driver doesn't have this extra feature and that Canon didn't bother to
> implement it for this printer driver.  There site doesn't offer any Mac
> drivers, so Apple is your only source for it.
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac and the "But it worked on my
> Windows system" lament.  Depending on how much PC hardware she still
> has, you may be hearing this a lot.  But, if you think about it, had she
> bought a Hybrid car to replace her gas-guzzling SUV, would she expect
> her snow tires to fit the Hybrid?
>
> You might want to take a vacation when she tries getting her USB scanner
> and Windows modem work...
0
carl116 (418)
3/26/2005 4:34:13 PM
Dana Sibera wrote:

> A friend of mine has recently bought a Mac - her first, but an older
> 733mhz graphite G4. Along with it she'd like to use her Canon i550
> printer. It's perhaps 18-24 months old.

El cheapo i250 here, bouth abaout 15 months ago.

> A couple of the features supported in the Windows version of the
> canon drivers are Duplex printing and booklet printing, neither of
> which seem to work for the Mac version of the driver. Duplex simply
> isn't there, and booklet printing is always greyed out.
>
> Is canon's printer support usually pretty dud in OSX? or is this
> just an older printer that misses out on full support?

Try reading the manual. I could have bought the i350 for what amounted
to loose change more. The penultimate paragraph of the appendices said
that borderless photo printing was only supported on OS X for the i350,
_not_ the i250. Doh!

Having said that, I did find a newer version of the supplied software on
the Canon website, which was a definite improvement, so you may have
luck there.

For duplex printing, because I have a lesser printer, I simply print the
even pages only, then flip the paper and then do the odd pages. That
works fine and is no more difficult than working out which way up to
insert the paper the second time. Not as smooth I'll agree, but it works.
0
paul.sture (371)