Connecting Mac and PC to a printer, via USB

OK, that pretty well describes what I want to do. We just bought an
HP6110 All in one printer (scanner, fax machine, copier, coffee maker,
etc). Currently, we have it hooked to my wife's e-Machines PC, through
the USB port. USB is the only way to hook up this printer to a
computer. Now, in the near future, I hope to be replacing my beige G3
with a newer Mac (though, I'm not sure when, or with what model yet).
The question is, how do I hook up both computers to this printer? Does
USB printer sharing work cross-platform? (I don't think it does). Can
I hook them both up, using a USB hub?

A related question is: How do I hook up my HP laserjet 5MP to the Mac
when I get it? Right now, it is hooked up through Appletalk, but that
won't work on a new Mac. Do I have to use a USB to Appletalk adaptor
(if such a beast exists)? Ethernet to Appletalk adaptor (the printer
has Appletalk, parallel and serial ports).

TIA

Dave Fritzinger
0
dfritzin (3022)

In article <b82925bb.0309150917.65ded1e6@posting.google.com>,
 dfritzin@hotmail.com (David Fritzinger) wrote:

> Right now, it is hooked up through Appletalk, but that
> won't work on a new Mac.

Why not? Works fine for my LaserWriter.

--
Enough <enough@idontcare.com>
0
David Fritzinger wrote:

> OK, that pretty well describes what I want to do. We just bought an
> HP6110 All in one printer (scanner, fax machine, copier, coffee maker,
> etc). Currently, we have it hooked to my wife's e-Machines PC, through
> the USB port. USB is the only way to hook up this printer to a
> computer. Now, in the near future, I hope to be replacing my beige G3
> with a newer Mac (though, I'm not sure when, or with what model yet).
> The question is, how do I hook up both computers to this printer? Does
> USB printer sharing work cross-platform? (I don't think it does). Can
> I hook them both up, using a USB hub?
>
> A related question is: How do I hook up my HP laserjet 5MP to the Mac
> when I get it? Right now, it is hooked up through Appletalk, but that
> won't work on a new Mac. Do I have to use a USB to Appletalk adaptor
> (if such a beast exists)? Ethernet to Appletalk adaptor (the printer
> has Appletalk, parallel and serial ports).
>
> TIA
>
> Dave Fritzinger

If you're unsuccessful in sharing (hardware or software) the printer from
one machine over the network (or don't want to bother), you can always fall
back to using this little thing:

http://www.aten-usa.com/products/product.php?Item=US401

You should be able to find it for about $25. I tried it with printers,
scanners, mices and keyboards. Usefull when you don't want to mess up with
working a configuration. Note however: USB 1.1 only. Entirely manual.
0
whom (21)
10/17/2003 11:43:27 PM
I'm in the same dilemma. I'm going to buy HP's printserver as soon as I
have another $150. That way I can hook the 6110 up to my network and be
happy from all over the house.

Apple's current AirPort also has a printserver, but I don't know if it
works with the 6110.