Cruft collecting in my "Open With" menu's, make's 'em slow

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.3 on a G4 w/dual 867Mhz processors and 1gbyte
(ie. billion bytes) of main ram...

When I control-click on an icon, it gives a pop-up menu that includes an
"Open With" sub-menu list.

Unfortunately, this choices in the "Open With" sub-menu are populated
when I just slide my mouse over the "Open With" option.   I would prefer
it if the choices weren't displayed until I choose that option by
stopping on it, or sliding off to the right.

Because I have lots of applications and lots of upgrades to
applications, the "Open With" sub-menu is long and contains lots of
duplicates and frequently doesn't seem to be cached.

If my hard drive has gone to sleep, when I slide over the "Open With"
option, my machine experiences a 5-20 second delay while the "Open With"
choices are populated.  This delay continues to occur even if I just
slid by the "Open With" option and am currently on top of another
option.   My machine is essentially hung while the "Open With" sub-menu
populates.

So I have two questions:

First, is there a way to remove redundant/old entries from the "Open
With" menu?  Eg., there are four Quicktime choices, three of them are
old and unnecessary.

Second, is there a way to set the "Open With" menu to wait a longer
delay before preemptively loading/displaying all of it's choices?

Thanks
Ben in DC
PublicMailbox at benslade dot com

In article <uIJaf.7893$zU2.1773@trnddc07>,
 Benjamin Slade <PublicMailbox@benslade.com> wrote:

> I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.3 on a G4 w/dual 867Mhz processors and 1gbyte
> (ie. billion bytes) of main ram...
>
> When I control-click on an icon, it gives a pop-up menu that includes an
> "Open With" sub-menu list.
>

> First, is there a way to remove redundant/old entries from the "Open
> With" menu?  Eg., there are four Quicktime choices, three of them are
> old and unnecessary.

I believe if you delete the older versions of QT (or any other app) from
your machine the choices will no longer show up.
0
carl116 (418)
11/4/2005 10:08:40 PM
Carl Witthoft wrote:
> I believe if you delete the older versions of QT (or any other app) from
> your machine the choices will no longer show up.

I get 2 or 3 repetitons of each app in my ~Applications directory,
even though there is only 1 copy of the app on my computer.

I suspect one comes from, say:
/Volumes/Users/Users/rtilley/Applications/Video/vlc-0.8.2/VLC.app

and another comes from:
/Users/rtilley/Applications/Video/vlc-0.8.2/VLC.app

which is the same file since /Users/rtilley is a symlink to
/Volumes/Users/Users/rtilley
I have no idea where the 3rd repetion sometimes comes from.

System is 10.4.3

0
ttrtilley (293)