Email attachments don't attach (Mail.app)

Using the latest OS X and some weird things are happening in the last
couple of days.  One of them is that I can't add attachments to any
email message whereas 3 days ago it was fine.  Some programs crash as
soon as I start them.  Some install codecs seem to be missing so
programs I've downloaded (from the manufacturers) won't open.  Its
probably all related.  Does anyone know what to check?  I've repaired
permissions from the OS X DVD.  And I just did an erase and install
recently.
0
nospam208 (68)