Finder's "copy" and shell's "cp" hang

Weird problem...

I have a drive -- which I suspect has physical problems and is
therefore the root of the problem -- contain quite a number of my
photography.  Perhaps a half-year's worth of work.  While trying to
consolidate and organize all of my photos, I ran into a problem
whereby Finder hangs when trying to move certain files.

The rotten part is that I can't stop the copy (by hitting the x in the
copy progress window).  I can't even kill off the process (via term's
"killall Finder" or "kill -9 [pid]."  Finder just hangs.  The only
solution that I'm aware of is to remove the drive physically which, of
course, OS X hates and might very well cause data to be lost.

So I went in and started doing them chunk by chunk (maybe 20 files at
a time) but the same problem winds up happening -- it hangs on a file,
I have to remove the drive, the OS gets cranky and eventually I find
the problematic file and start copying stuff again after that point.

The only problem is that one out of every 300 files (wild guess)
contains this problem and since I'm dealing with something like 12,000
photos, my solution doesn't work very well.  I'll be here for days and
that's assuming data isn't lost in the dozens of dirty disconnects.

I thought the problem might be Finder's handling of the bad file so I
tried opening terminal and used:

   cp -Rf /Volumes/test/media/images/* /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/image\
temp/set\ 02/

....but that fails as well including the part about not being able to
kill the process.

Anyone have any idea how I can move the files with some kind of
timeout?  Or maybe some other solution I haven't thought of?

Thanks much in advance,
Jason
0
bodhisoma (51)

In article
<67c060ce-c859-40fe-bea4-b76cc6bc3a8f@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 bodhiSoma <bodhisoma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any idea how I can move the files with some kind of
> timeout?  Or maybe some other solution I haven't thought of?

Have you tried copying the drive to an image using Disk Copy?
0
sdfisher (2069)
12/13/2007 6:23:10 AM
In article <sdfisher-575FFE.22231012122007@shawnews.vc.shawcable.net>,
 Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote:

> In article
> <67c060ce-c859-40fe-bea4-b76cc6bc3a8f@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>  bodhiSoma <bodhisoma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any idea how I can move the files with some kind of
> > timeout?  Or maybe some other solution I haven't thought of?
>
> Have you tried copying the drive to an image using Disk Copy?

And since it's external, how about trying to have Disk Utility repair it
in case it's something it can handle...
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama