Font and Font CE

In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu,
once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS
10.2.8)

Stefan

0
Stefan
11/16/2003 7:31:45 PM
comp.sys.mac.system 33446 articles. 2 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

In article <bp8jas$300$1@newshispeed.ch>,
 Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote:

> In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu,
> once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS
> 10.2.8)

You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish
or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings
for the characters that appear in those orthographies and not in the
various western/Roman alphabets (English, French, etc.).

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Alice Faber wrote:

> You've enabled something about Central European input

German and Arabic, to be precise. Not exactly Central Europe...

> The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings
> for the characters that appear in those orthographies

I thought with the upcoming of Unicode there's one and only one font for
"all" script systems? So what's the deal? I've noticed that the fonts
concerned are all of the type ".dfont" and they appear twice only in
programs that have a "traditional" font menue.

Stefan

0
Stefan
11/16/2003 9:32:23 PM
In article <bp8qd3$6up$1@newshispeed.ch>,
 Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote:

> Alice Faber wrote:
>
> > You've enabled something about Central European input
>
> German and Arabic, to be precise. Not exactly Central Europe...
>
> > The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings
> > for the characters that appear in those orthographies
>
> I thought with the upcoming of Unicode there's one and only one font for
> "all" script systems? So what's the deal? I've noticed that the fonts
> concerned are all of the type ".dfont" and they appear twice only in
> programs that have a "traditional" font menue.

Arrgggh. I just looked in Word, which seems a prime suspect here.
Indeed, I do have CE *and* CY (Cyrillic) fonts at the end of the font
list, as well as fonts that seem to be for a variety of other languages
like Thai. The only alternative keyboards I've enabled are Arabic and
Persian (I don't know why I don't have Hebrew active on this system).
And the CE and CY fonts show up even when I disable these.

Word.X doesn't understand Unicode. When I open Mellel, which does, I
don't see the CE fonts, but I do still see the CY fonts.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
              --artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball
0
afaber (338)
11/16/2003 10:11:10 PM
Alice Faber wrote:

> Arrgggh. I just looked in Word, which seems a prime suspect here.

Not only Word. FileMaker 5 and Photoshop 7 are both the same. Both are
carbonized applications rather than cocoa ones. Maybe this is the clue.

> Word.X doesn't understand Unicode. When I open Mellel, which does, I
> don't see the CE fonts, but I do still see the CY fonts.

Mellel works fine here. So does Text Edit, not too important, but
interesting as a reference.

I'm hoping that it's just the apps that don't behave yet, and that it
will be ironed out. If so, I can live with it.

Stefan

0
Stefan
11/16/2003 10:54:43 PM
In article <bp8qd3$6up$1@newshispeed.ch>,
Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote:

>I thought with the upcoming of Unicode there's one and only one font for
>"all" script systems?

It is.  But you have fonts installed for backward compatibility.
Probably for Classic support.

0
slavins (280)

Japanese fonts / font-conversion / saving Fonts in certain formats (on mac)
Hello, I today found out how to use input of japanese symbols on the Mac OS-X. It's nice and easy, but the TextEditor does not save in formats I'm looking for. Useful would be either UTF-8, or (what I'm looking for especially) SJS. The latter is a format that is used in Japan and pTeX also can read SJS-encoded japanese fonts. pTeX is a certain TeX-variant, that is used especially in japan. What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an save them in different font formats, or a program that can convert from on...

MAC Fonts/Windows Fonts
Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed the file out and noticed that the font was really "cool," the a was more like an a we write with a c and a line (you know, kinda like we write and NOT the way courier new does). I am trying to figure out: First, does anyone have any idea what font it was? Second, what program do you think I probably used? I think it looks like a TXT file but it is a doc. What is it, just looks really good. Help me our here, please. GNV wrote: > Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed > the file out ...

Mac Fonts ---> PC Fonts
Can anybody tell me, is there a way of recognising fonts that have been converted from Mac to PC, rather than genuinely created specifically for the PC (or indeed the other way around) I realise it is possible when creating typefaces to make TTF, PC Postscript, Mac Postscript (for example in Macromedia Fontographer 4.1) is this the 'Proffessional' way it would be converted for proper commercial typefaces? or is there a more proffessional way. Thanks in advance. Andy > Can anybody tell me, is there a way of recognising fonts that have been > converted from Mac to PC, r...

Adjusting font-size for system font-size
In Windows XP, there's an accessability wizard that allows the user to change the font size for readability. There's probably something similar in other operating systems. I think it would be a nice thing to do for any users with large system font sizes to detect that and offer up an alternative stylesheet. I don't know how to approach this, though, and I'm sure it involves more than CSS. Is it possible to detect this setting? Ian -- http://www.bookstacks.org/ On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:53:45 GMT, Ian <blank@blank.com> wrote: >I think it would be a nice th...

Difference /Library/Fonts and /System/Library/Fonts
What is the functional difference between putting stuff into the follwoing two directories /Library/Fonts/ /System/Library/Fonts/ -- Hans Aberg In article <haberg-1405051154160001@c83-250-195-133.bredband.comhem.se>, haberg@math.su.se (Hans Aberg) wrote: > What is the functional difference between putting stuff into the follwoing > two directories > /Library/Fonts/ > /System/Library/Fonts/ The difference is that you shouldn't put anything under /System unless you know you should. And even then double-check. That's Apple's sandbox...

Mac font via fontographer to pc font
I have Fontographer 4.04 and I run it in Classic on Mac OSX 10.3.3. I have a Mac Postscript font and I have to add an euro character which does not exist in the font. I check out on which decimal character the euro is placed in my other font, and find that decimal 219 is where to place it. I generate at first a new Mac font and it works nice. Then I generate a pc TrueType font and mail the font to the person who needs it. She tells me that the euro exists allright - but on a wrong decimal. She tells me that she needs it to be placed on decimal 128. This however is occupied by (A-umlaut) whe...

Problem with Helvetica font on Mac OS X/Mac OS 9 System
I'm working with a Mac which has Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.2 running on top of the X. I use MS Word and Pagemaker and there's a problem with helvetica italic not displaying consistently. I mean, without any intervention, some days it's visible, other days it's not. I thought maybe it was due to not having the font file, but it seems we do have it. I don't know if this is related, but Adobe Type Manager has also popped up lately complaining about not having enough cache memory. I looked at the setting and it was 2MB already, but increased it to 3 MB yesterday. It seems to have...

Font Woes Mac->PC with zero kByte fonts (Was: Migrating PM for Mac to FrameMaker for Win: Caveats/Tips? )
Hello group, Some font and file woes I anticipated have become reality: A customer gives us a Mac-Formatted CD with PageMaker files, graphics and fonts on it. A programm named "MacDrive" fixes the file extensions for us and makes the medium readable. BUT: All Fonts have zero kilobytes (although they have non-zero kilobytes on our old, beaten-down OS9 iMAC we got from the crate in the basement), and their names are not fixed. Q1. How come they have "0" kilobyte and appear empty when viewed with a hexeditor, despite the MacDrive-Reader-Software The medium is definitely ...

Mac Font Book and Computer Modern Postscript fonts
I have the complete collection of Computer Modern Postscript fonts obtained from a TeX download and stored as individual font files with names like CMxxxx in my OS 10.3.9 usr/Library/Fonts folder, and they work fine with TeXShop. I can't seem to add them to Font Book, however. When I try to add them to the Font column in Font Book using the "+" button, all their names appear in the Find dialog greyed out (other fonts are active as expected). Does Font Book not handle Postscript fonts? Or is there something special about these CM fonts that Font Book can't handle? ...

Fonts and/or Font Book
Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder one? -- dorayme In article <doraymeRidThis-9B2294.10351702052007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk > wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder > one? FontDoctor X -- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher In article <01052007194430...

OS X system fonts not showing up in Font Book -- why?
I'm running OS X 10.4.2 and the following fonts in /System/Library/Fonts fail to show up in Font Book. Apple LiGothic Medium.dfont AquaKanaBold.otf AquaKanaRegular.otf HelveLTMM Helvetica LT MM Keyboard.dfont LastResort.dfont Times LT MM TimesLTMM All of the fonts located in /Library/Fonts (217 fonts) do show up in Font Book. Any idea why it is that Font Book doesn't "like" the fonts I've listed? -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft In article <0001HW.BF5B4517000560C0F0284550@news.supernews.com>, TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@mac.com> wrote: > I...

What Font is used as the default LabView System and Dialog Font on a windows?
What font is used as the default LabView System and Dialog font on a Windows system? Can I use the default system and dialog font in another software (i.e; Win word or Illustrator etc.) For Windows XP, the font is Tahoma. I don't know if Windows has a method for changing this (I thought it would be in the display settings, but couldn't find it). Maybe in the registry? For more details, see <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/99D21982A9F954E186256A5B0057919E" target="_blank">here</a>. ...

Some System Fonts Don't Display in Font Book
My System/Library/Fonts folder contains just those fonts installed as part of OS X. Interestingly, four of those fonts do not show in Font Book. They are: AquaKanaBold.otf AquaKanaRegular.otf Keyboard.dfont Last Resort.dfont The fonts have been checked by FontAgent Pro 3 and not problems were reported. Also this behavior has been noted on three different Macs. The absence of these fonts is not really a problem, but a matter of curiosity. So, what is the "special" property of these fonts that eliminates them from Font Book's list? -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft T...

Linotype Font Explorer X, Windows XP & System Fonts
Hi all, I grabbed the above as a replacement for Suitcase (mine's a bit old and creaky) and as ever with Beta software did a backup of critical data and created a system restore point prior to installation. It has however, utterly broken the system fonts - some applications (notably Suitcase - I think it knew what I was up to) and now displays a bold 10pt face which can make some applications unusable. It initially trashed Windows (all fonts vanished, Start Bar, icons, the lot) but a reboot to "last known working configuration" restored these to some weird anti-aliased condense...

Web resources about - Font and Font CE - comp.sys.mac.system

Font - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the traditional meaning of "font". For the electronic data file, see Computer font . For other uses, see Font (disambiguation) ...

Facebook Testing Different Fonts For News Feed
When Facebook Co-Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg introduced the social network’s redesigned News Feed last March , he repeatedly referred to ...

Facebook tests different fonts for News Feed
... test discovered by Fast Company shows that designers are doing what they can to make this true. Facebook is toying with using serif fonts on ...

Google Fonts (@googlefonts) on Twitter
Web developers, keep yours eyes on the progress of new web font features with caniuse.com ( caniuse.com/feed.php?

If you're developing web apps, you're nuts if you aren't using Font Awesome. Seriously.
... our work is totally text and structure. Adding a bit of graphics is like adding spice to a sauce. And they're fun! We're lucky because Font ...

What font is best for resumes?
Arial &amp; Times New Roman are typical fonts used in resumes. However, I read a resume writing handbook in which the author claimed that Times ...

Quick Fonts - Add cool style fonts and words to create a pretty photo caption on your pictures on the ...
Get Quick Fonts - Add cool style fonts and words to create a pretty photo caption on your pictures on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, ...

Comic Sans: The Perfect Font For A Subpoena… If You’re As Dumb As This Clerk
Welcome to Montgomery County, Texas the town(s) that fonts forgot.

Track your bandwidth with a ‘Star Wars’ font in DataMan Next
... The Force or Winter Wonderland. DataMan Next - the simplest app to track your data usage Track your bandwidth with a ‘Star Wars’ font in DataMan ...

How to fix Windows 10's blurry font problem
... the DPI scaling to make text, apps and other items easier to read on your Windows device, you may have encountered the problem of blurry fonts ...