Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?

I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both
text and HTML.  It works perfectly with all email clients with the
exception of the free version of Eudora.  As many of you no doubt are
aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more
parts:  (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML.
Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML.  So does it read
the text version of the multipart/alternative email?  Of course not.
It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus
displaying a table as if it were text.

Eudora literally skips the first section which is all text and
surrounded by the appropriate boundaries and then reads the HTML.

I have searched through Eudora's "Settings" and, among its endless
prefs, no option exists (that I could find) for displaying HTML
properly or, better yet, not trying to do so.

p.s. My disclaimer: I don't use Eudora but I do have users who would
rather not learn something new and, thus, I am stuck with providing
for them.

0
paintedjazz (112)

This probably doesn't answer your question, but is very relevant.
Eudora was a great Mac app that I used for several years. But within
the last year it started causing my iMac to stay awake when it should
be sleeping. Figuring that out took some effort, and I suspect there
are other strange behaviors that have crept in since Qualcomm stopped
development on Eudora. From my experience, I'd have to say Eudora is a
dead or dying app and much as I hated to learn a new mail app (Apple's
in my case), it was worth the effort in the long run. Your clients are
probably going to have to move sooner or later and maybe sooner,
before they encounter real problems, is better.

0
hellman (84)
8/1/2007 1:54:33 AM
In article <1185838797.303971.58880@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
<paintedjazz@gmail.com> wrote:

[Eudora question snipped]

You might have more success getting advice on using Eudora from the
group comp.mail.eudora.mac than this one. There you will find a small
legion of knowledgeable and satisfied Eudora users.

--
Jim Gibson

                http://www.usenet.com
0