Free math' app' threatens commercial math' app's

For Mac math' buffs, a new FREE open-source math' app'
called SAGE will be available for free shortly, which
claims to beat expensive commercial software
like Mathematica which costs $2,500

Some team of math' experts at University of Washington are
developing the app'

Supposedly SAGE has already won awards in open competition at
some world-wide math' conference.

<http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=38459>

Mark-
0
noneof (1053)

In article
<noneof-AC775C.02292008122007@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
 Mark Conrad <noneof@urbusiness.invalid> wrote:

> For Mac math' buffs, a new FREE open-source math' app'
> called SAGE will be available for free shortly, which
> claims to beat expensive commercial software
> like Mathematica which costs $2,500
>
> Some team of math' experts at University of Washington are
> developing the app'
>
> Supposedly SAGE has already won awards in open competition at
> some world-wide math' conference.
>
> <http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=38459>
>

> Mark-

Thank you for the pointer!

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
<http://www.heusser.com>
In article
<noneof-AC775C.02292008122007@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
 Mark Conrad <noneof@urbusiness.invalid> wrote:

> For Mac math' buffs, a new FREE open-source math' app'
> called SAGE will be available for free shortly, which
> claims to beat expensive commercial software
> like Mathematica which costs $2,500
>
> Some team of math' experts at University of Washington are
> developing the app'
>
> Supposedly SAGE has already won awards in open competition at
> some world-wide math' conference.
>
> <http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=38459>

I think that it has quite a ways to go before it becomes a threat to
anything.  Here is the readme file:

VERY QUICK INSTRUCTIONS TO BUILD FROM SOURCE:
   1. Make sure you have the dependencies.

     LINUX (install these using your package manager):
          gcc, g++, make, m4, perl, ranlib, and tar.

     OSX: XCode.  WARNING: If "gcc -v" outputs 4.0.0, you
          *must* upgrade XCode (free from Apple), since that
          version of GCC is very broken.

     NOTE: On some operating systems it might be necessary
     to install gas/as, gld/ld, gnm/nm, but on most these
     are automatically installed when you install the
     programs listed above.

   2. Extract the tarball:
          tar xvf sage-*.tar

   3. cd into the sage directory and type make:
          cd sage-*
          make

     That's it!  Everything is automatic and non-interactive.

NOTE:  On Linux if you get this error message:
  " restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied "
the problem is probably related to SE Linux:
     http://www.ittvis.com/services/techtip.asp?ttid=3092

    SAGE: Software for Algebra and Geometry Experimentation
    Copyright (C) 2006, 2007 William Stein <wstein@gmail.com>
    Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL)

    http://www.sagemath.org

    If you have questions, do not hesitate to email wstein@gmail.com
    or (even better!) sage-support@googlegroups.com:

AUTHORS: There are well over 50 people who have contributed code
to SAGE.  Please see one of the websites above for a list.  In many
cases documentation for modules and functions list the authors.

OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED PLATFORMS:
    Building of SAGE from source is regularly tested on
    (minimal installs of) the following platforms:

       PROCESSOR       OPERATING SYSTEM
       x86             32-bit Linux -- Debian, Ubuntu, RHEL5, Fedora
Core, CentOS, Suse, Mandriva
       x86_64          64-bit Linux -- Debian
       ia64 itanium2   64-bit Linux
       x86             Apple Mac OS X 10.4.x, 10.5
       ppc             Apple Mac OS X 10.4.x

    Use SAGE on Microsoft Windows via VMware.

UNSUPPORTED, BUT HIGH PRIORITY TO SUPPORT SOON:
       sparc           Solaris 9, Solaris 10
       x86_64          Solaris 10

IMPLEMENTATION:
     SAGE has significant components written in the following
     languages: C/C++, Python, Lisp, and Fortran.  Lisp and
     Python are built as part of SAGE, and Fortran (g95) is
     included (x86 Linux and OS X only), so you do not need
     them in order to build SAGE.

MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS TO BUILD FROM SOURCE:
    (See the installation guide for more details.)
    1. Make sure you have about 700MB free disk space.
    2. Linux: Install gcc, g++, m4, ranlib, and make.
              The build should work fine on SUSE, FC, Ubuntu, etc.  If
              it doesn't, we want to know!
       OS X:  Make sure you have XCode version >= 2.4, i.e., gcc -v
              should output build >= 5363.   If you don't, go to
              http://developer.apple.com/ sign up, and download the
              free XCode package.  Only OS X >= 10.4 is supported.
       Windows: Download and install VMware, install linux into it, etc.
    3. Extract the sage source tarball, cd into a directory
       with no spaces in it.  If you have a machine with n processors,
say,
       type
             export MAKE="make -j4"
       To start the build type
             make
    4. Wait about 1 to 8 hours, depending on your computer.
       SOME ACTUAL REAL BUILD TIMES (for SAGE-2.7.1):
          * 1.8Ghz Linux Opteron 64-bit 16-core SMP machine: 67 minutes
          * G5: 102 minutes
          * Core 2 Duo: 67 minutes
          * Core Duo: 75 minutes
          * 1.5 Ghz G4 (rev 1.2): 167 minutes

    5. Type ./sage to try it out.
    6. OPTIONAL: Start sage and run the command
          install_scripts("/usr/local/bin/")   # change /usr/local/bin/
       Type "install_scripts?" in SAGE for more details about
       what this command does.
    7. OPTIONAL: Type "make test" to test all examples in the
       documentation (over 12000 lines of input!) -- this takes from
       15 minutes to an hour.   Don't get too disturbed if there are
       2-3 failures, but always feel free to e-mail the section of
       test.log that contains errors to wstein@gmail.com and/or
       sage-support@googlegroups.com:
       If there are numerous failures, there was a serious problem
       with your build.
    8. OPTIONAL: Documentation: If you want to (try to) build the
       documentation, change into SAGE_ROOT/devel/doc and type "make
       html" or "make pdf".  This requires having latex and latex2html
       installed, and there are some issues with the \url macro.  Note
       that the latex docs come *pre-built* with SAGE, and are in
       SAGE_ROOT/doc/.
    9. OPTIONAL: GAP -- It is highly recommended that you install the
       optional GAP databases by typing
                            ./sage -optional
       then installing (with ./sage -i) the package whose name
       begins with database_gap.   This will download the package
       from sage.math.washington.edu and install it.    While you're
       at it you might install other databases of interest to you.
   10. OPTIONAL: It is highly recommended that you have both latex
       and the imagemagick tools (e.g., the "convert" command) installed
       since some plotting functionality uses it.

SUPPORTED COMPILERS:
    * SAGE builds with GCC >= 3.x and GCC >= 4.1.x.
    * SAGE will not build with gcc 2.9.x.
    * WARNING: Don't build with GCC 4.0.0, which is "buggy as a
      Florida swamp in August".
    * I don't know if SAGE has ever been built with a non-GCC compiler.

SOLARIS:
     It is reportedly possible, but not recommended yet (see below).
     A fully supported port is planned.

RUNNING SAGE:
    1. Try running sage:
          ./sage

    2. Try running an example SAGE script:
          ./sage example.sage

RELOCATION (OS X and Windows):
   You *should* be able to move the sage-x.y.z directory anywhere you
   want.  If you copy the sage script or put a symlink to it, you
   should modify the script to reflect this (as instructed in the top
   of the script).  It is best if the path to SAGE does not have any
   spaces in it.

   If you find anything that doesn't work correctly after you moved
   the directory, please let me know (wstein@gmail.com)!
   Making software "movable" is *very* tricky.

REDISTRIBUTION:
 Your local SAGE install is exactly the same as any "developer"
 install.   You can make changes to documentation, source,
 etc., and very easily package up the complete results for
 redistribution just like we do.

   1. You can make your own source tarball (sage-x.y.z.tar) of SAGE by
      typing "sage -sdist x.y.z", where the version is whatever you
      want.  The result is placed in SAGE_ROOT/dist.

  2.  You can make a binary distribution with the packages you've
      installed included by typing "sage -bdist x.y.z".  The
      result is placed in the SAGE_ROOT/dist directory.

CHANGES TO INCLUDED SOFTWARE:
    All software included with SAGE is copyright by the respective
    authors and released under an open source license that is GPL
    compatible.  See the file COPYING.txt for more details.
    (Note -- jsMath is licensed under the Apache license; Apache
    claim their license is GPL compatible, but Stallman disagrees.)

    After building SAGE, see the directories

          SAGE_ROOT/spkg/build/package-name/

    for a file SAGE.txt that details all changes made to the given
    package for inclusion with SAGE.  The inclusion of such a file
    detailing changes is specifically required by some of the packages
    included with SAGE (e.g., for GAP).
    (These directories are deleted when you type "make clean".)

----

KNOWN BUILD PROBLEMS:
   * On OS X PowerPC, gmp miscompiles the first time.  Do
        ./sage -f spkg/standard/gmp-the_correct_filename.spkg
     to build it again.  Then type
           rm -rf devel/sage-main
     followed by "make" and the build should complete.

SOLARIS:
  It has been possible to do a complete successful install of SAGE on
  Solaris with gcc, though possibly not in a completely automated
  manner.  This section contains some potentially helpful remarks.

   * You can skip installing certain packages by typing, e.g.,
             touch spkg/installed/clisp-2.37
     This way you can use your own system-wide version of some
     SAGE-related software, which is in some cases easier to
     obtain.

   * Every component EXCEPT SINGULAR of version 0.9.21 of SAGE builds
     without user intervention on 32-bit open Solaris x86 (under
     VMware) using gcc.

   * Hints for using Sun's CC compiler (which doesn't work, e.g.,
     the crucial mwrank component doesn't compile):
     Using bash type:

        CC=cc && export CC
        CXX=CC && export CXX
        CFLAGS="-xO2" && export CFLAGS
        CXXFLAGS="-xO2" && export CXXFLAGS
        make

   * (From "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>):
     I have noticed one problem if you try to build a 64-bit gmp. The
order
     of the path seems critical. Get it wrong and it seems to pick up
     libraries in /usr/ucblib, which are 32-bit and so messes up. The
     following works. I have no idea why changing path (rather than
library
     paths) would mess things up, but it seems to.

        PATH = /usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/ccs/bin

     Also, the GMP library does not follow the Sun convention of
     putting 32-bit libraries in $LIB and 64-bit ones in
     $LIB/sparcv9. I think that could have quite annoying problems;
     however, for SAGE, where you have your own library I don't think
     it matters.

    * It seems likely that the compiler switch for a shared object on
      64-bit SPARC is different from that for a 32-bit library. There
      is some confusion about this as the man page seems odd. I'm
      awaiting confirmation from someone at Sun about this.

    * From Kiran Kedlaya: In other news, I owe you some details of how
      I got SAGE running on Athena Solaris. In summary:

-- GMP did not compile; there were some linking errors because of
"unaligned offsets" (apparently a discrepancy between GNU ld and Sun
ld). I got around this by using the libgmp that someone had already
compiled for Singular on Athena Solaris. I also had to alias libgmp.so
to libgmpxx.so because some of the SAGE modules compile using -lgmpxx.
-- Python hit an error which I traced back to Include/pyport.h. I had to
change HUGE_VAL, which is supposed to represent a positive double
infinity, to (1./0.), which should have the same effect. I have no idea
why this didn't work as written.
-- Singular didn't compile either, but I didn't try very hard; I just
used the Athena installed version (which is only 3-0-1, but I think
it'll be fine). I don't remember offhand what kind of error I was
getting.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
In article
<noneof-AC775C.02292008122007@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>, Mark
Conrad <noneof@urbusiness.invalid> wrote:

> For Mac math' buffs, a new FREE open-source math' app'
> called SAGE will be available for free shortly, which
> claims to beat expensive commercial software
> like Mathematica which costs $2,500

I think Maple & Mathematica are not in danger yet.
SAGE may compete with XCAS, and it is not clear which would win...

As an aside, I note that Open Office hasn't put Microsoft Word out of
business, yet...

> Some team of math' experts at University of Washington are
> developing the app'
>
> Supposedly SAGE has already won awards in open competition at
> some world-wide math' conference.

That was not a "math" conference, but a competition for "free software".
0
doozy (462)
12/8/2007 8:17:44 PM
In article <michelle-E06AFA.12344408122007@news.east.cox.net>,
 Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> > Some team of math' experts at University of Washington are
> > developing the app'
> >
> > Supposedly SAGE has already won awards in open competition at
> > some world-wide math' conference.
> >
> > <http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=38459>
>
> I think that it has quite a ways to go before it becomes a threat to
> anything.  Here is the readme file:  ...<clip>...

Hmmmp -   as usual, I got a lot of things wrong, Philo pointed out
it was an open-source competition, not a math' competition.

....and you are correct, it looks to be a while before SAGE
will threaten Mathematica seriously.

According tho the readme file you posted, SAGE will not run
directly on any version of Windows yet, they have to do it
indirectly with VMware plus Linux.

That surprises me, because the Windows adverts usually yelp
about Windows supposedly running many more tech' app's than
OS X can run.

It appears that in January 2008 the feces will hit the fan as
regards whether-or-not SAGE will have a chance to displace the
regular costly commercial math' programs.

....based on the following propaganda from the website I listed:

Propaganda - Propaganda -
The idea began in 2005, when Stein was an assistant professor at Harvard
University.
"For about 10 years I had been really unhappy with the state of
mathematical software," Stein said. The big commercial programs --
Matlab, Maple, Mathematica and Magma -- charge license fees. The
Mathematica Web page, for example, charges $2,495 for a regular license.
For another program, a collaborator in Colombia was quoted about $550, a
special "Third World" discount price, to buy a license to use a
particular tool, Stein said.
The frustrations weren't only financial. Commercial programs don't
always reveal how the calculations are performed. This means that other
mathematicians can't scrutinize the code to see how a computer-based
calculation arrived at a result.
"Not being able to check the code of a computer-based calculation is
like not publishing proofs for a mathematical theorem," Stein said.
"It's ludicrous."

Last month, Stein and David Joyner, a mathematics professor at the U.S.
Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., published a letter in the Notices of
the American Mathematical Society in which they argue that the
mathematical community should support and develop open-source software.
Soon Sage will face off against the major software companies in physical
space. In early January, thousands of mathematicians will gather in San
Diego for the joint meeting of the American Mathematical Society and the
Mathematical Association of America. In the exhibition hall, Stein has
paid the first-timers' rate of $400 to rent a booth alongside those of
the major mathematical software companies, where he and students will
hand out DVDs with copies of Sage.
"I think we can be better than the commercial versions," he said. "I
really want it to be the best mathematical software in the world."
Sage research and student support is made possible by grants from the
National Science Foundation. The Sage meetings are supported by various
mathematical associations. The project has also received several
thousand dollars in private donations.
End of Propaganda -

Should be interesting to see how SAGE is accepted/rejected by all
those math' wizards, two months from now.

Mark-
0
noneof (1053)
12/8/2007 10:51:59 PM
On Dec 8, 2:17 pm, Philo D <do...@earthling.net.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <noneof-AC775C.02292008122...@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>, Mark
>
> Conrad <non...@urbusiness.invalid> wrote:
> > For Mac math' buffs, a new FREE open-source math' app'
> > called SAGE will be available for free shortly, which
> > claims to beat expensive commercial software
> > like Mathematica which costs $2,500
>
> I think Maple & Mathematica are not in danger yet.
> SAGE may compete with XCAS, and it is not clear which would win...
>
> As an aside, I note that Open Office hasn't put Microsoft Word out of
> business, yet...
>

> > Some team of math' experts at University of Washington are
> > developing the app'
>
> > Supposedly SAGE has already won awards in open competition at
> > some world-wide math' conference.
>
> That was not a "math" conference, but a competition for "free software".

Here is what an article in F"AQ: Scientific Computing and Numerical
Analysis" said about Sage.  This article gives an altogether different
spin to Sage's capability than the link in Mark Conrad's post. A link
to the FAQ: Scientific Computing and Numerical Analysis can be found
in the sci . math . num-analysis news group.

Howard

SAGE

SAGE is a computer algebra plus mathematical software system.  It
includes interfaces to Magma, Maple, Mathematica, MATLAB, and MuPAD,
and the free programs Axiom, GAP, GP/PARI, Macaulay2, Maxima, Octave,
and Singular.

SAGE can be used from a web browser.  It connects either
to a program running on your computer, or to a server elsewhere.

The SAGE notebook can be used to create graphics, typeset
mathematical expressions, and to start up and
interrupt multiple calculations.  The notebook can be used
to create and publish collaborative worksheets.

SAGE is Python based.  It provides a standard, uniform Python
programming
interface to all the underlying systems.
0
hrhan (218)

'^=' and '~='?

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal''''''''''''''
Hello fellow programmers, I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button on a form initiates the queries. the format i am using is; _____________________________________________________ SELECT "criteria" FROM "criteria" WHERE "criteria" UPDATE/APPEND "field selections" RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings" _______________________________________________________________________ When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no problems, and accepts the values of specified linked form fields. This never works when doing an APPEND/UPDATE query. It can never find the values of linked form fields, Access always asks for the parameter value of the field(s) in question, or Access comes up with an error 3323 - No recordset. I am sure there are other people that have had this problem. What is the difference between Select queries and append/update queries? the append/update queries never seem to be able to find values in linked form fields. Can anyone shed any light on this or point to a knowledgebase Item, or even recommend a book focusing on this subject, I will go and buy it now. I have been for up 2 nights trying to acomplish this and now considering suicide, please help. Thanks In advance, Aaron. I know of two ways you can accomplish this. 1. You can create the SQL script for you append or update query and run the script with DoCmd.RunSQL. 2. You can create a...

Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID',
Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID', buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, ---------------------------------------------------------- Apple DVD Studio Pro 3 for MAC DVD-158 ROUTE66 ROUTE EUROPE 2004 MAC EDITION Image DVD-060 MOTU Audio Desk v2.0 HYBRiD SN: AD200-10T49-XYEVF CD NR 17 746 CIGRAPH FACTO...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

Any way to search in both 'To' and 'From' fields in Apple Mail with Google App's IMAP?
'Entire message' is broken with Google's IMAP and simply doesn't work at all. No results at all. It's annoying to have to use the web interface for Google App's email (i.e. Gmail using a custom domain) just to do a proper search. Any way around this? TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. ...

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID', updated 16/Feb/2005
Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID', updated 16/Feb/2005 ---------------------------------------------------------- Apple DVD Studio Pro 3 for MAC - image- DVD-158 ROUTE66 ROUTE EUROPE 2004 MAC EDITION Image DVD-060 2004/12/02 Techsmith.Camtasia.Studio.v2.1.Multi 1CD 2004/12/02 IDS.ARIS.Design.v6.2.3.Multi 1CD 2004/12/02 SampleLab.Drum.Fundamentals.Multiformat 3CD 2004/12/02 SampleLab.Luscious.GROOVES.M...

[...]

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ########################################################################### #define MODULE #define __KERNEL__ #include <linux/config.h> #include <linux/module.h> #include <linux/kernel.h> /* printk */ #include <linux/fs.h> / #include <linux/errno.h> /* error codes */ #include <linux/types.h> /* size_t */ #include <linux/proc_fs.h> /* proc file system */ #include <linux/fcntl.h> #include <asm/system.h> /* cli, flags */ #include <asm/uaccess.h> /* copy from/to user */ /*Registers to get qadc access*/ volatile unsigned short * qadcmcr = (unsigned short *)0x40190000; volatile unsigned short * qacr0 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000a; volatile unsigned short * qacr1 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000c; volatile unsigned short * qacr2 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000e; volatile unsigned short * qasr0 = (unsigned short *)0x40190010; volatile unsigned short * qasr1...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ##...

logical to 'on' / 'off'
Hi, is there a function implemented doing this conversion? my Problem is, that I want to use the following code: set(handles.edit_curr_trq_sl,'Enable',get(hObject,'Value')) where get(hObject,'Value') gives the state of a checkbox thank you! function [str]=tf2oo(logic) switch logic case 0 str='off'; case 1 str='on'; end%switch end%function tf2oo() while i do not know a built in function, I use my own:) meisterbartsch wrote: > > > function [str]=tf2oo(logic) > switch logic > case 0 > str='off'; &g...

Re: '^=' and '~='?
Duckhye, According to the doc ( http://xrl.us/befwjx ) they, and one other set of characters, and the mnemonic 'NE' all represent 'NOT EQUAL'. Art ------- On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:52:40 -0600, Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: >Hello, >What is the difference between '^=' and '~='? > >Thanks, >Duckhye ...

replacement for '{' and '}' ?
I am still playing around with what kind of syntax I would like to mark up my documents. Are there equivalent long substitutes for { and } when they are not used to describe arguments to functions? Something like \begin{group} and \end{group}. In other words, if I could force myself to write, say, \begin{group} \it ... \end{group} instead of {\it ... }, then I believe I could identify from the markup context what is an argument that belongs to a just invoked macro and what is text. {Of course, in this context, \textit{...} would be better.} No more ambiguity whether a in \myfunction{a} is an argument or just text. Is there a way to make latex barf when it sees an ordinary '{' in text, rather than \begin{group}, but not barf when I want it (to denote macro arguments)? Regards, /iaw On Aug 16, 6:01=A0pm, "ivo...@gmail.com" <ivo...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to make latex barf when it sees an ordinary '{' in > text, rather than \begin{group}, but not barf when I want it (to > denote macro arguments)? What do you mean exactly? I don't understand. Do you have in mind your- to-be-new-syntax or just regular latex? Cheers, Tomek ivowel@gmail.com wrote: > I am still playing around with what kind of syntax I would like to > mark up my documents. > > Are there equivalent long substitutes for { and } when they are not > used to describe arguments to functions? Something like \begin{group} > and \end{gr...

Override 'and' and 'or'
Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for binary manipulation... any proposals? Have marvelous sunday, Marco Dekker <m.aschwanden@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special > method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for > binary manipulation... any proposals? If you want to customize the truth value testing you have to implement __nonzero__ " __nonzero__( self) Call...

difference between ',' and 'a,'
Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? Thanks Should be the same, in gforth: see , : , here cell allot ! ; ok see a, : , here cell allot ! ; ok On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 5:46:04 AM UTC-8, beeflo wrote: > Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > > I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? > > Thanks beeflo <beeflobill@gmail.com> writes: >Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > >I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? In Gforth itself, there is no difference. In Gforth's cross compiler, "a," is there for addresses, and "," is there for other cells; addresses can then be relocated when loading the image. - anton -- M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html EuroForth 2014: http://www.euroforth.org/ef14/ ...

'!' vs. '.'
Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen (in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. Here's one opinion for you: http://doc.advisor.com/doc/05352 robert.waters wrote: >Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ >control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) > >I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion >in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen >(in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200704/1 Here's my $0.02 worth on this. I tend to copy the notation style and naming conventions that I see being used in the Help files. That would be Me![text1] for a control on a form. I am of the belief that this notation explicitly refers to a control itself rather than a field in the form's recordset. Here's an example: I have a parts inventory app that uses a "Line" code, which is usually a 3-character abbreviation for a brand name, and is the na...

'a'..'z'
Is it possible to achieve something like this? switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { case 'a'..'z': // do something break; } "cruster" <cruster@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151319731.988814.326200@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to achieve something like this? > > switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { > case 'a'..'z': > // do something > break; > } > There are times when an if statement may be more appropriate ;) Sorry - java is not VB :) -- LTP :) cruster schreef: > Is it possible to achieve somethi...

'[OFF]' as in 'offensive'???
Hi, given that 'off-topicness' is indicated as '[OT]' and taking a look at those postings that started the threads indicated as '[OFF]' (which may both be seen as being somewhat offensive) may lead to the conclusion that '[OFF]' stands for offensiveness. I don't think that this is the intended meaning so what actually *does* '[OFF]' mean? I never came across that abbreviation before (although I have been around on the USENET for quite some time) but maybe it is worth knowing? Josef 'Jupp' Schugt NOTE: mails >100 KiB are ignored -- German edition of comp.lang.ruby FAQ - http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/ruby/ Aurox Linux - http://qurl.net/7q | http://qurl.net/7r - Firefox Thunderbird - http://qurl.net/7s | http://qurl.net/7t - Liferea Enigmail - http://qurl.net/7u | http://qurl.net/7v - GnuPG [Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <jupp@gmx.de>, 2004-12-10 23.20 CET] > I don't think that this is the intended meaning so what actually *does* > '[OFF]' mean? Off-topic. ...

Difference between 'is' and '=='
Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when should we use '=='? Thanks alot~ mwql: >Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the >result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when >should we use '=='? http://docs.python.org/ref/comparisons.html -- Ren� Pijlman mwql wrote: > Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the > result anywhere online. When is the right time to ...

Does '!=' equivelent to 'is not'
I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" if a != b: ... if a is not b: ... What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? pirata wrote: > I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" > > if a != b: > ... > > if a is not b: > ... > > > What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? No, they are not the same thing. == and != test to see if the *value* of two variables are the same. Like so: >>> a = 'hello world' >>> b = 'hello world' >>> a == b True a and b both have the value of 'hello world', so they are equal is and is not, however, do not test for value equivalence, they test for object identity. In other words, they test to see if the object the two variables reference are the same object in memory, like so: >>> a is b False a and b are assigned to two different objects that happen to have the same value, but nevertheless there are two separate 'hello world' objects in memory, and therefore you cannot say that a *is* b Now look at this: >>> c = d = 'hello world' >>> c == d True >>> c is d True In this case, they are again the same value, but now the is test also shows that they are the same *object* as well, because...

Web resources about - Free math' app' threatens commercial math' app's - comp.sys.mac.system

Commercial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Commercial Observer
Commercial Observer, New York's authority on commercial real estate leasing, deals and culture.

Cookie Monster Stars in New iPhone Commercial
True story (you can ask my mom): my first spoken word was “cookie”, such a fan of Cookie Monster was I. I’ve never been one for moderation. ...

Watch Hillary Morph Into Bernie in This 'SNL' Commercial Spoof
How can Hillary Clinton bridge the supposed "enthusiasm gap" between her and Bernie Sanders? Maybe by cranking up her advertising a notch and ...

Cookie Monster lands a starring role in Apple’s latest iPhone 6s commercial
Apple earlier today rolled out a new iPhone 6s ad featuring none other than Cookie Monster. Titled "Timer", the ad features Cookie Monster using ...

China Plans First Commercial Rocket-Launch Company, Xinhua Says
Bloomberg China Plans First Commercial Rocket-Launch Company, Xinhua Says Bloomberg China plans to set up a commercial rocket-launch company ...

Lil Wayne: My debut Super Bowl ad was 'the illest idea ever' — now I want to do more commercials
... He loved it so much that he's now taken a new role in Samsung's Galaxy S7 ad campaign. The rapper said he plans to do more acting in commercials ...

Katherine Heigl is now doing kitty litter commercials: sad or schadenfreude?
Katherine Heigl’s career is not going so well. She’s now doing kitty litter commercials. Let’s see how we got here? First, she was an award-winning ...

iPhone SE parody commercial says what everyone's thinking
The iPhone SE may have today's technology in it, but its size makes it a blast from the past.

Because Bryan Singer wanted to top Quicksilver's super-speed sequence from X-Men: Days of Future [...]