f



Frustrated trying to print from my winblows machine to my mac.

I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
direct connect)
I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print to
it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password.  I put in
the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...

anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?
0
bjobrien62 (537)
2/15/2009 10:06:34 PM
comp.sys.mac.system 33446 articles. 2 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9455) is leader. Post Follow

20 Replies
270 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 34

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:06:34 -0500, SpreadTooThin wrote
(in article 
<57175c80-cc29-4e63-81f9-979efd525f83@v15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>):

> I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
> direct connect)
> I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print to
> it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
> The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password.  I put in
> the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...
> 
> anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?

Which printer, make and model? Some vendors (HP, I'm thinking of _you_) have 
rigged things so that while their systems can be shared from a Mac to another 
Mac, or from a Windows machine to another Windows machine, they can't be 
shared cross-platform without going to some effort. You might want to look at 
<http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html> or 
<http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html>.

-- 
email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com.

0
try.not.to (2779)
2/15/2009 10:34:17 PM
On Feb 15, 5:34=A0pm, J.J. O'Shea <try.not...@but.see.sig> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:06:34 -0500, SpreadTooThin wrote
> (in article
> <57175c80-cc29-4e63-81f9-979efd525...@v15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>):
>
> > I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
> > direct connect)
> > I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print to
> > it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
> > The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password. =A0I put in
> > the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...
>
> > anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?
>
> Which printer, make and model? Some vendors (HP, I'm thinking of _you_) h=
ave
> rigged things so that while their systems can be shared from a Mac to ano=
ther
> Mac, or from a Windows machine to another Windows machine, they can't be
> shared cross-platform without going to some effort. You might want to loo=
k at
> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html> or
> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html>.
>
> --
> email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com.

hp deskjet 5100
0
bjobrien62 (537)
2/15/2009 11:01:51 PM
> Which printer, make and model? Some vendors (HP, I'm thinking of _you_) have
> rigged things so that while their systems can be shared from a Mac to another
> Mac, or from a Windows machine to another Windows machine, they can't be
> shared cross-platform without going to some effort. You might want to look at
> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html> or
> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html>.
>

These links are for mac users who want to print to a printer that is
connected to a PC.
I am in the reverse scenario

> --
> email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com.

0
bjobrien62 (537)
2/15/2009 11:05:20 PM
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:05:20 -0500, SpreadTooThin wrote
(in article 
<05c785e9-35fe-4524-9361-0196bcd3c57b@m22g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>):

> 
>> Which printer, make and model? Some vendors (HP, I'm thinking of _you_) have
>> rigged things so that while their systems can be shared from a Mac to 
>> another
>> Mac, or from a Windows machine to another Windows machine, they can't be
>> shared cross-platform without going to some effort. You might want to look 
>> at
>> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html> or
>> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html>.
>> 
> 
> These links are for mac users who want to print to a printer that is
> connected to a PC.
> I am in the reverse scenario

<http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html>

-- 
email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com.

0
try.not.to (2779)
2/15/2009 11:45:59 PM
SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
> direct connect)
> I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print to
> it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
> The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password.  I put in
> the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...
> 
> anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?

Try installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC, it's downloadable from
Apple. That's been the only way I could ever print from Windows to a
printer connected to a Mac.

-- 
Andy Hewitt
0
thewildrover (163)
2/16/2009 12:11:52 AM
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:34:17 UTC, J.J. O'Shea <try.not.to@but.see.sig>
wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:06:34 -0500, SpreadTooThin wrote
> (in article 
> <57175c80-cc29-4e63-81f9-979efd525f83@v15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>):
> 
> > I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
> > direct connect)
> > I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print to
> > it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
> > The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password.  I put in
> > the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...
> > 
> > anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?
> 
> Which printer, make and model? Some vendors (HP, I'm thinking of _you_) have 
> rigged things so that while their systems can be shared from a Mac to another 
> Mac, or from a Windows machine to another Windows machine, they can't be 
> shared cross-platform without going to some effort. You might want to look at 
> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html> or 
> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html>.
> 


I am sure glad I spent the extra money the last time when I bought an 
all in one HP unit that I got one with a network card.  All my 
computers just talk to it directly (though only the Mac and Windows 
system uses the scanner portion).  My old laser printer, on the other 
hand, is connected to my Linux box.  That was another thing.  The all 
in one unit HAD to have Mac support, since that is my primary desktop 
system.
0
kevink4 (65)
2/16/2009 3:06:30 AM
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:06:30 -0500, Kevin K wrote
(in article <KIRoJuEXw9g9-pn2-H6SBUkqpQCWe@localhost>):

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:34:17 UTC, J.J. O'Shea <try.not.to@but.see.sig>
> wrote:
> 
>> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:06:34 -0500, SpreadTooThin wrote
>> (in article 
>> <57175c80-cc29-4e63-81f9-979efd525f83@v15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>):
>> 
>>> I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
>>> direct connect)
>>> I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print to
>>> it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
>>> The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password.  I put in
>>> the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...
>>> 
>>> anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?
>> 
>> Which printer, make and model? Some vendors (HP, I'm thinking of _you_) 
>> have 
>> rigged things so that while their systems can be shared from a Mac to 
>> another 
>> Mac, or from a Windows machine to another Windows machine, they can't be 
>> shared cross-platform without going to some effort. You might want to look 
>> at 
>> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html> or 
>> <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html>.
>> 
> 
> 
> I am sure glad I spent the extra money the last time when I bought an 
> all in one HP unit that I got one with a network card.  All my 
> computers just talk to it directly (though only the Mac and Windows 
> system uses the scanner portion).  My old laser printer, on the other 
> hand, is connected to my Linux box.  That was another thing.  The all 
> in one unit HAD to have Mac support, since that is my primary desktop 
> system.

I last bought a printer which _didn't_ have network support in 2004. Since 
then any printer I've got, for home or office work, has had network support. 
It just makes sense.

-- 
email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com.

0
try.not.to (2779)
2/16/2009 3:34:14 AM
In article <gnamrn011k1@news1.newsguy.com>,
 J.J. O'Shea <try.not.to@but.see.sig> wrote:

> I last bought a printer which _didn't_ have network support in 2004. 
> Since then any printer I've got, for home or office work, has had 
> network support. It just makes sense.

And many now have 802.11g

-- 
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.
0
michelle14 (19004)
2/16/2009 4:26:34 AM
In article 
<0b1682aa-e110-45af-a370-a83992bcee53@l37g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
 SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

I have had similar experiences, and I got it (mostly) working.

Canon iP4500 connected via USB to an iMac running Max OS 10.5.5
Windows laptop running XP

I downloaded bonjour from Apple to the PC, and for good measure 
downloaded the latest appropriate Canon drivers to the PC too.

On the mac I turned on printer sharing via the System Preferences.

On the PC I created a "printer" in the control panel pointing to the 
Bonjour connected printer (while the iMac and the printer were both 
running)

Now I can print freely from the windoze machine except I can't access 
the fancier features (duplex printing, for example). The reason is that 
the PC's remote printing treats my Canon as if its a generic HP color 
postscript device.

Good luck
Mike
0
mbreslau (59)
2/16/2009 3:03:36 PM
Andy Hewitt wrote:
>
> Try installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC, it's downloadable from
> Apple. That's been the only way I could ever print from Windows to a
> printer connected to a Mac.

Will have to try this one myself - - RTFM'ing Apple's help files
didn't mention it.

Of course, this does require that one have Admin permission on the
Windows PC ... not always the case when bringing the work laptop home
for the weekend.


The irony is that under Panther (10.3), a PC printing to a Mac-USB
printer worked very easily.  Somehow, it got broken under Tiger and
hasn't been fixed under Leopard.


-hh
0
2/17/2009 12:42:10 PM
-hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> Andy Hewitt wrote:
> >
> > Try installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC, it's downloadable from
> > Apple. That's been the only way I could ever print from Windows to a
> > printer connected to a Mac.
> 
> Will have to try this one myself - - RTFM'ing Apple's help files
> didn't mention it.
> 
> Of course, this does require that one have Admin permission on the
> Windows PC ... not always the case when bringing the work laptop home
> for the weekend.
> 
> 
> The irony is that under Panther (10.3), a PC printing to a Mac-USB
> printer worked very easily.  Somehow, it got broken under Tiger and
> hasn't been fixed under Leopard.

Hmm, that's not been my experience, I've had to install Bonjour in all
cases. It's not even easy to set up a network printer in Windows either.

-- 
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
0
thewildrover (163)
2/17/2009 1:37:02 PM
On Feb 17, 6:37=A0am, thewildro...@me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
> -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> > Andy Hewitt wrote:
>
> > > Try installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC, it's downloadable from
> > > Apple. That's been the only way I could ever print from Windows to a
> > > printer connected to a Mac.
>
> > Will have to try this one myself - - RTFM'ing Apple's help files
> > didn't mention it.
>
> > Of course, this does require that one have Admin permission on the
> > Windows PC ... not always the case when bringing the work laptop home
> > for the weekend.
>
> > The irony is that under Panther (10.3), a PC printing to a Mac-USB
> > printer worked very easily. =A0Somehow, it got broken under Tiger and
> > hasn't been fixed under Leopard.
>
> Hmm, that's not been my experience, I've had to install Bonjour in all
> cases. It's not even easy to set up a network printer in Windows either.
>
> --
> Andy Hewitt
> <http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>

Oh by the way I managed to print from a virtulal XP machine (VMWare)
to the Mac downstairs but vista still no go.
I downloaded bonjour and will try it on vista this evening...
0
bjobrien62 (537)
2/17/2009 3:41:49 PM
On Feb 15, 5:11=A0pm, thewildro...@me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
> SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
> > direct connect)
> > I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print to
> > it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
> > The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password. =A0I put in
> > the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...
>
> > anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?
>
> Try installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC, it's downloadable from
> Apple. That's been the only way I could ever print from Windows to a
> printer connected to a Mac.
>
> --
> Andy Hewitt

I just tried installing Bonjour and the Vista system.
Interestingly enough it even put a Network Printer Setup Wizard on my
desktop, which I ran and it discovered the printer downstairs nice...
but printing to it from applications doesn't do anything. :(

I turned on file sharing.
I turned on printer sharing.

Still no print :(
0
bjobrien62 (537)
2/19/2009 3:24:40 AM
SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 5:11 pm, thewildro...@me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
> > SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
> > > direct connect)
> > > I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print to
> > > it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
> > > The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password.  I put in
> > > the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...
> >
> > > anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?
> >
> > Try installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC, it's downloadable from
> > Apple. That's been the only way I could ever print from Windows to a
> > printer connected to a Mac.
> >
> > --
> > Andy Hewitt
> 
> I just tried installing Bonjour and the Vista system.
> Interestingly enough it even put a Network Printer Setup Wizard on my
> desktop, which I ran and it discovered the printer downstairs nice...
> but printing to it from applications doesn't do anything. :(
> 
> I turned on file sharing.
> I turned on printer sharing.
> 
> Still no print :(

What's the printer?

I'm actually about to do the same here too, having just installed Vista
on the PC here. My inkjets are connected to my Airport system though,
which presented it's own problems in XP. I'll report back after I've had
a go.

-- 
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
0
thewildrover (163)
2/19/2009 8:19:58 AM
On Feb 19, 1:19=A0am, thewildro...@me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
> SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 15, 5:11 pm, thewildro...@me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
> > > SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > I have a printer that is connected to my mac 10.4 downstairs (USB
> > > > direct connect)
> > > > I can print to it from my macbook upstairs.. however I can't print =
to
> > > > it from my windows laptop upstairs (vista)
> > > > The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password. =A0I put=
 in
> > > > the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...
>
> > > > anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?
>
> > > Try installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC, it's downloadable from
> > > Apple. That's been the only way I could ever print from Windows to a
> > > printer connected to a Mac.
>
> > > --
> > > Andy Hewitt
>
> > I just tried installing Bonjour and the Vista system.
> > Interestingly enough it even put a Network Printer Setup Wizard on my
> > desktop, which I ran and it discovered the printer downstairs nice...
> > but printing to it from applications doesn't do anything. :(
>
> > I turned on file sharing.
> > I turned on printer sharing.
>
> > Still no print :(
>
> What's the printer?
>

It's an HP Deskjet 5150 connected to my G4 (Running 10.4) by USB
cable.

> I'm actually about to do the same here too, having just installed Vista
> on the PC here. My inkjets are connected to my Airport system though,
> which presented it's own problems in XP. I'll report back after I've had
> a go.
>
I'd like to hear how it went.

> --
> Andy Hewitt
> <http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>

0
bjobrien62 (537)
2/19/2009 6:24:01 PM
SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

[..]
> > > Still no print :(
> >
> > What's the printer?
> >
> 
> It's an HP Deskjet 5150 connected to my G4 (Running 10.4) by USB
> cable.

Righto, didn't know if it'll help. Mind you, I have found that HP
drivers are often more bother on a Mac. I have a Lasejet here, and all
sorts of things just don't work as advertised.

> > I'm actually about to do the same here too, having just installed Vista
> > on the PC here. My inkjets are connected to my Airport system though,
> > which presented it's own problems in XP. I'll report back after I've had
> > a go.
> >
> I'd like to hear how it went.

No problems here.

PC with Vista SP1, Canon iP4500 plugged into the USB on my Airport
Extreme box (and in a hub too). Installed Bonjour, and found I had to
turn on Global broadcasting in Airport, selected the printer, added it,
and ran a test print, all done.

-- 
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
0
thewildrover (163)
2/19/2009 7:08:34 PM
On Feb 19, 12:08=A0pm, thewildro...@me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
> SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > > > Still no print :(
>
> > > What's the printer?
>
> > It's an HP Deskjet 5150 connected to my G4 (Running 10.4) by USB
> > cable.
>
> Righto, didn't know if it'll help. Mind you, I have found that HP
> drivers are often more bother on a Mac. I have a Lasejet here, and all
> sorts of things just don't work as advertised.
>
> > > I'm actually about to do the same here too, having just installed Vis=
ta
> > > on the PC here. My inkjets are connected to my Airport system though,
> > > which presented it's own problems in XP. I'll report back after I've =
had
> > > a go.
>
> > I'd like to hear how it went.
>
> No problems here.
>
> PC with Vista SP1, Canon iP4500 plugged into the USB on my Airport
> Extreme box (and in a hub too). Installed Bonjour, and found I had to
> turn on Global broadcasting in Airport, selected the printer, added it,
> and ran a test print, all done.
>
Lucky you...
Interesting... I have a usp port on my router.... but i think it's
only for external USB hard drives.

> --
> Andy Hewitt
> <http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>

0
bjobrien62 (537)
2/19/2009 7:53:33 PM
SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

> > PC with Vista SP1, Canon iP4500 plugged into the USB on my Airport
> > Extreme box (and in a hub too). Installed Bonjour, and found I had to
> > turn on Global broadcasting in Airport, selected the printer, added it,
> > and ran a test print, all done.
> >
> Lucky you...
> Interesting... I have a usp port on my router.... but i think it's
> only for external USB hard drives.

Have you tried it?

-- 
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
0
thewildrover (163)
2/19/2009 8:10:42 PM
On Feb 19, 1:10=A0pm, thewildro...@me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
> SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > PC with Vista SP1, Canon iP4500 plugged into the USB on my Airport
> > > Extreme box (and in a hub too). Installed Bonjour, and found I had to
> > > turn on Global broadcasting in Airport, selected the printer, added i=
t,
> > > and ran a test print, all done.
>
> > Lucky you...
> > Interesting... I have a usp port on my router.... but i think it's
> > only for external USB hard drives.
>
> Have you tried it?
>
> --
> Andy Hewitt
> <http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>

Nope.. the printer is downstairs and the router is upstairs.. :(
0
bjobrien62 (537)
2/19/2009 8:24:15 PM
SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 1:10 pm, thewildro...@me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
> > SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > PC with Vista SP1, Canon iP4500 plugged into the USB on my Airport
> > > > Extreme box (and in a hub too). Installed Bonjour, and found I had to
> > > > turn on Global broadcasting in Airport, selected the printer, added it,
> > > > and ran a test print, all done.
> >
> > > Lucky you...
> > > Interesting... I have a usp port on my router.... but i think it's
> > > only for external USB hard drives.
> >
> > Have you tried it?
> >
> > --
> > Andy Hewitt
> > <http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
> 
> Nope.. the printer is downstairs and the router is upstairs.. :(

Ah!

-- 
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
0
thewildrover (163)
2/19/2009 8:25:06 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Mac to mac
I just remembered these groups and wondered if someone here could tell me whether what I'd like to do is possible. (NO ONE around here knows anything about Macs) I have a G4 that was the top of the line in 1998. It will die one of these days. It's currently running OS 9.2.2. Someone else(who now lives far away) installed the internal modem, SCSI for my scanner, and my floppy drive (so I didn't have to go through hundreds of them for the bits and pieces I might someday want again). I still have the floppies and a number of Zips, all of which this computer can read. Install...

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Just happened. Kind of weird. -- Arf! Old CSMAer Nice! At work I'm stuck on Windows, plus at home my roommate and girlfrield both use Windows. Good thing is I have my ibook at work and both my roommate and gf are getting Macs after their Dell's are paid off. They use Mac's at work and see how my PowerMac at home works while their PeeCee's hose daily. They hate Windows now :) So i'm getting there :) Alex "OldCSMAer" <olddog@kennelsINVALID.com> wrote in message news:olddog-F4AC87.15141003082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com... >I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free > world: > > My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and > urologist are all Mac. No PCs. > > Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac > (no surprise there). > > My dau...

Looking for used MAC system to learn MACs
Hello, I am looking for recommendations for a used MAC system that I can use to learn MACs. I have used Unix and Linux for the past 20 years, but I'd like to understand a little more about how they work. I have been looking at some used G4 and G5 systems, but not sure if these will be lame ducks. I would like to kick around at the prompt level to see how different it is from a normal Unix system , but I'd like to learn some of the apps and gui stuff too so I don't look like an idiot to friends. Any recommendations or help is welcomed. Thanks. Snoopy. In article <de47faa0-31c3-4c8f-b428-58cac4c0b3d6@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, <"snoopy_@excite.com"> wrote: > Hello, > I am looking for recommendations for a used MAC system that I can > use to learn MACs. I have used Unix and Linux for the past 20 years, > but I'd like to understand a little more about how they work. I have > been looking at some used G4 and G5 systems, but not sure if these > will be lame ducks. I would like to kick around at the prompt level > to see how different it is from a normal Unix system , but I'd like to > learn some of the apps and gui stuff too so I don't look like an idiot > to friends. Any recommendations or help is welcomed. Thanks. i'd suggest a refurbished intel based mac mini to get your feet wet. apple has them from time to time for as little as $400ish. despite nearly all software being univer...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote: > Hello. > > Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for > Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines > (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use > multiple computers and OSes. > > Thank you in advance. :) Yes, you'll need software that adds HFS+ read (at least) capability to your other OSes, e.g. <http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/> and <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/> for Windows. Things can get a little more involved in Linux depending on the distro, e.g. <http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Hfsplus>. IIRC Time Capsules backup insid...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In article <LtOdnXZJR92PbvDSnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote: > Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for > Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines > (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use > multiple computers and OSes. you need to install third party software that can read mac formatted hard drives. <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/> On 3/24/2012 10:12 AM PT, nospam typed: >> Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for >> Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines >> (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be ...

Mac printing system
Is CUPS used in MacOS X, and if so, is it the default printing system? Thanks for the info. -- Rick Yes it's available. --jim On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:10:00 -0800, vze35xda@verizon.net wrote: > Yes it's available. > Does that mean it is not the main printing engine? -- Rick Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote: > On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:10:00 -0800, vze35xda@verizon.net wrote: > > > Yes it's available. > > > Does that mean it is not the main printing engine? My experience is that OSX (10.3 onwards with CUPS) will allow you to select a propriety printer driver if it's available. Otherwise it uses the CUPS drivers. This is how it worked on my G5 with 10.4 anyway, my Epson CX3200 works using the standard Epson driver, and my LaserJet 5 uses a CUPS driver (the LJ5 doesn't have PostScript). In 10.3 you have to hold down Option while you click on 'Add' a new printer, then you can select them from the 'Advanced' tab. -- Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor) <http://andyhewitt.webhop.net/> (updated Jan 2006) On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:04:17 +0000, Andy Hewitt wrote: > Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote: > >> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:10:00 -0800, vze35xda@verizon.net wrote: >> >> > Yes it's available. >> > >> Does that mean it is not the main printing engine? > > My experience is that OSX (10.3 onwa...

Trying to move Eudora from Mac to Mac w/ Panther
Hi. I am trying to move my Eudora mail from one mac to another. I have the identical installs on both machines but when I drag my Eudora foloder from my documents from one mac to the other, I now get these msgs... "Selection is not a properly formatted mailbox. Out (0); {45:204} Any ideas? A couple of more bits of info: When I try to open my settings in bbedit... it's blank. Does that make any sense? Finally, when I re-open Eudora it acts like it's a brand new install. Any ideas? Thanks! (what's weird is it still works on the source machine...) On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:11:23 -0500, Joshua Wachs wrote (in message <0001HW.BBCFEAEB0117FF82F02845B0@news.comcast.giganews.com>): > Hi. I am trying to move my Eudora mail from one mac to another. > > I have the identical installs on both machines but when I drag my Eudora > foloder from my documents from one mac to the other, I now get these msgs... > > "Selection is not a properly formatted mailbox. > > Out (0); {45:204} > > Any ideas? > > In article <0001HW.BBCFF03F01193F5CF02845B0@news.comcast.giganews.com>, Joshua Wachs <schwa@nospam.com> wrote: >A couple of more bits of info: > >When I try to open my settings in bbedit... it's blank. Does that make any >sense? Yes. It's in a form that BBEdit can't read. It comes up blank here too (except that I can see ...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc Jon <see_signature@mac.com.invalid> wrote: > 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx > > Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on > one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And > you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. Correction: tcp/ipp of course needs to be enabled on the ethernet port on _both_ machines. File sharing, however, is only necessary on one (preferably the Mac OS X machine). -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc In article <1hxqr6q.1u7ne805d0g7N%see_signature@mac.com.invalid>, see_signature@mac.com.invalid (Jon) wrote: > ...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

System Auditing for mac machines
Hi, Are there any tools that will do a system audit of an OSX based machine ? We need to create a full hardware/software inventory of a number of macs, along with copies of the important log files etc. There are a number of windows tools for windows machines, but nothing jumps out for Mac machines. It would need to be something that can be run without too much intervention (ie possibly a script, or something that will produce a report on a single click). Olly -- Managed online backup services G2 Support http://www.g2support.com/backups Get a free trial today http://www.g2support.com/downl...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The > difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have > two closely coupled and redundant PHY . > > Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, > bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some > PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? I suppose it works. Cross connect RXD[] to TXD[]. Cross connect RX_DV to TX_EN, and provide a 125 MHz clock (could be supplied from another FPGA pin) On Feb 12, 9:01=A0pm, Steve <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. =A0The > difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have > two closely coupled and redundant PHY...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at least one of the machines on the LAN for file transfers, contact/calendar sync (through Now server software), and if possible, remote access. Note that, at times, BOTH sides of this connection will have dynamic IP addresses, so there's got to be a way to "find" the office LAN remotely, and the security protocols of the VPN setup cannot limit the incoming IP to a specific address. Also note that I don't need to connect both ways, just to initiate from the PowerBook. I'm not opposed to buying a VPN router, or any other hardware, if it makes the system more stable/reliable/simple. Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide. Steve On 2005-06-05, Steve C <newsgroups@primedigital.com> wrote: > Note that, at times, BOTH sides of this connection will have dynamic IP > addresses, so there's got to be a way to "find&quo...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

can the Mac OS X operating system be loaded on other machines?
We have a couple of high end e-machines and I am so ready to throw them out the window because of the hundreds of hours we have spent downloading fixes and updates. Can the program be installed on a regulare computer? In article <1qv2d2t7f7dv1vp17e5dh627jt5202891p@4ax.com>, sangrel@ipsprivate.com wrote: > We have a couple of high end e-machines and I am so ready to throw > them out the window because of the hundreds of hours we have spent > downloading fixes and updates. > > Can the program be installed on a regulare computer? Ehh? If you mean can Intel MacOS X run ...

Mac and non Mac Partition
Hello, I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable stup. The problem for instance in a Fat16 partion the mac write some "._blahblah" files. And some player doesn't like these file and get frozen. I have to plug the player (or it's memory card) to a Pc, the remove these file in order to make it working. Is there a way to avoid this ? Thanks John In article <4a4cc7f2$0$12658$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable ...

Moving a User from Mac to Mac...
I currently have two old Macs...let's call them my MAIN Mac (a G4 running Tiger) and my OTHER Mac (early Intel iMac also running Tiger). And, I'm about to purchase a NEW Mac. (3 Macs...MAIN, OTHER and NEW) What I'd like to do is move virtually everything (user accounts, applications, settings, documents, etc.) from my current MAIN Mac to my NEW Mac. I've never actually done this before, but I believe, on initial install of the NEW Mac, the Mac OS actually asks if you want to do just this. Question#1: If the above is true, what cable is required during the install process whe...

WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net?
My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've configured it to sleep when not in use. So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on my end, which doesn't do any outbound port blocking TMK. Seems like it should work, but I get no response. Has anyone here ever successfully done WOL from one Mac to another over the net? -- Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me. E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts. JR In article <jollyroger-1EF39D.22082902042009@news.individual.net>, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote: > My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues > (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've > configured it to sleep when not in use. > > So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over...

Mac - to
I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on the G5 on the iBook? [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote: > I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. > > What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook > to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. > > What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that > I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on > the G5 on the iBook? > I use Remote Desktop v3.1 to do that with my iBook and G3. http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/ Cheers, Darrell -- To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet6 (at) �telus.net In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote: > I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. > > What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop...

[OT] A Mac emulator for... Mac. ;-)
The Mac on Linux emulator now has a native Mac port of the software. It still isn't as 'user friendly' as typical Mac applications are (i.e. you have to use disk utility to create disk images) and there's no Tiger support yet (either as host or guest), but on the flip side I hear it gets pretty good performance and with support hopefully they can get those usability and Tiger issues fixed. :-) In addition to running Mac OS X, it also allows developers to run Classic Mac OS and PPC Linux under emulation. This also makes me wonder what options would be ava...

sys .mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' tk , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , ola@mail.gr, ola3@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk --------------------------------------- 2007-10-15 MacDrive 7.0.10 Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (1 cd) 2007-10-02 MakeMusic Finale 2008 for Mac (3 cd) 2007/10/02 Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID 1DVD 2007-10-05 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2 for Mac ------------------------------------------------------- 2007/09/29 Autodesk Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/25 FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/14 Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite 4.5.3 for Mac 2007/09/09 Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel (1 dvd) MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac (1 cd) Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac (1 cd) Vertus Fluid Mask 3.0.1 for Mac -------------------------------...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio P
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr ...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio P #2
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' tk , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , ola@mail.gr, ola3@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk --------------------------------------- 2007-10-15 MacDrive 7.0.10 Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (1 cd) 2007-10-02 MakeMusic Finale 2008 for Mac (3 cd) 2007/10/02 Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID 1DVD 2007-10-05 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2 for Mac ------------------------------------------------------- 2007/09/29 Autodesk Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/25 FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/14 Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite 4.5.3 for Mac 2007/09/09 Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel (1 dvd) MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac (1 cd) Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac (1 cd) Vertus Fluid Mask 3.0.1 for Mac -------------------------------...

Web resources about - Frustrated trying to print from my winblows machine to my mac. - comp.sys.mac.system

Frustrated - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Girl sits next to gas station parking lot. She looks upset with whoever is on the other end of the phone. Used on this website: visionarymom ...

Baby plays with iPad, is frustrated by paper mag - YouTube
A YouTube video shows a 1-year-old expertly using an iPad - pinching and swiping - and then tries the same moves on a paper magazine without ...

Beattie and Newman frustrated by feral federal-state dysfunction
In the wake of Campbell Newman's bio-polemic Can Do: Campbell Newman and the challenge of reform, we have a new book from former premier Peter ...

Primary Health 'frustrated' by co-payment
Primary Health Care wants the federal government to scrap its controversial GP co-payment policy

Online Forum For Sexually Frustrated Men Reacts To News That Mass Shooter May Be One Of Their Own
Police have not yet named a suspect in the mass shooting near the UC Santa Barbara campus that left seven people dead Friday night, but they ...

Education minister frustrated over delays on caged boy inquiry
Education Minister Joy Burch has criticised delays in an&nbsp;investigation&nbsp;into a Canberra school's decision to&nbsp;erect&nbsp;a&nbsp;cage ...

Early WA voters frustrated by CCC findings
FRUSTRATED City of Perth constituents who submitted postal votes before a damning report into Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi have complained to her ...

Labor, Greens frustrated by Nauru inquiry
Labor and the Greens have been left frustrated by a Senate inquiry into allegations of abuse on Nauru.

Sonny Bill Williams is frustrated at his Sydney Roosters teammates, so watch out Cowboys
It&#8217;s time for Sonny Bill Williams to fire up. So to speak.

Coaches frustrated over drug rules, St Kilda's Alan Richardson says
Coaches are frustrated that they are kept in the dark when one of their players returns a positive illicit drugs test, Alan Richardson says. ...

Resources last updated: 3/30/2016 9:40:50 AM