Gray OS 9.2.2 install disk #2

Tim Miller

Michelle Steiner wrote:

> If the grey disk set works, it will work; if it doesn't, it won't allow
> you to install at all, so you run no risk of danger by trying to install
> it.
>
> I believe that it won't work, and that you should report the seller to
> eBay for fraud if it doesn't work.

Hi. Different screen name, still me -- Tim Miller -- I had to post
thru Google or Yahoo or something because I can't get my DSL to
connect to Usenet.

(Does anybody know what the correct news server name is, if I get my
internet access from sbcglobal DSL? news.sbcglobal.net doesn't seem to
work.)

The gray disk works fine. The seller said it would, and it does. All
my machines that will boot from OS 9.2.2 will boot from this disk. The
OS clean re-installs seem to have worked okay.

The fundamental question is, are there "flavors" of OS 9.2.2, or are
they all identical?

What about, for example, a machine-specific gray OS 9.0.4 installation
that gets updated by Apple's OS 9.x updaters, until it reaches OS
9.2.2. Is the OS at that point identical to any other OS 9.2.2?

Thanks, Michelle,

In article <c000b466.0403031035.6d3c083d@posting.google.com>,
 bopshibobshibop@yahoo.com (Timothy Miller) wrote:

> The fundamental question is, are there "flavors" of OS 9.2.2, or are
> they all identical?

Yes there are flavors, and they get there by the installer "tasting"
your hardware.

My experience has been that the old black, red and silver installers
were hardware specific. The white & silver ones were hardware specific.
The gray ones in general I have found will work for 'most every model
Mac earlier than the one they were issued for. I'm sure someone out
there has a contrary tale...
0
user7140 (372)
3/3/2004 11:13:59 PM
In article <c000b466.0403031035.6d3c083d@posting.google.com>,
 bopshibobshibop@yahoo.com (Timothy Miller) wrote:

> Tim Miller
>
> Michelle Steiner wrote:
> >
> > If the grey disk set works, it will work; if it doesn't, it won't allow
> > you to install at all, so you run no risk of danger by trying to install
> > it.
> >
> > I believe that it won't work, and that you should report the seller to
> > eBay for fraud if it doesn't work.
> >

> Hi. Different screen name, still me -- Tim Miller -- I had to post
> thru Google or Yahoo or something because I can't get my DSL to
> connect to Usenet.
>
> (Does anybody know what the correct news server name is, if I get my
> internet access from sbcglobal DSL? news.sbcglobal.net doesn't seem to
> work.)
>
> The gray disk works fine. The seller said it would, and it does. All
> my machines that will boot from OS 9.2.2 will boot from this disk. The
> OS clean re-installs seem to have worked okay.
>
> The fundamental question is, are there "flavors" of OS 9.2.2, or are
> they all identical?
>
> What about, for example, a machine-specific gray OS 9.0.4 installation
> that gets updated by Apple's OS 9.x updaters, until it reaches OS
> 9.2.2. Is the OS at that point identical to any other OS 9.2.2?
>
> Thanks, Michelle,

If the 90.04 CD will install on your Mac, once you update to 9.2.2 it is
the same as any other 9.2.2. The grey disks will only install on certain
Macs. If it works, it works.

as for your news server try
news.snet.sbcglobal.net

Jeff K