Hard Drive Dying - How do I Transfer to a New Hard Drive

The hard drive in my Mac G3 desktop began making unhealthy sounds, as though
a bearing is going. Is there a way for me to "clone" or image this hard
drive to a new hard drive?  Or will I have to install the new hard drive,
format, and reinstall the operating system and programs from scratch?

For those of you who might think the wiser course would be to scrap the G3
altogether and move up to something newer, I feel a new hard drive would be
a worthwhile fix because the rest of the computer is fine. It is mostly used
for word processing, web surfing, and email, so in that respect it is still
a useful machine.

Thanks in advance for any advice

0
clemke (28)

Entity KC spoke thus:

> The hard drive in my Mac G3 desktop began making unhealthy sounds, as though
> a bearing is going. Is there a way for me to "clone" or image this hard
> drive to a new hard drive?  Or will I have to install the new hard drive,
> format, and reinstall the operating system and programs from scratch?
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
Bombich Software: Carbon Copy Cloner

-- Latest script: Eruption!
http://Gnarlodious.com/Apple/AppleScript/Scripts/Eruption!/Eruption!.dmg

0
gnarlodious2 (835)
10/17/2004 2:32:05 PM
In article <bevcd.152898$nA6.22673@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
 "KC" <clemke@email.toast.net> wrote:

> Thanks in advance for any advice

Make a complete backup.  Do it now!

--
"...crying in your drink is bad enough; crying into a hot fudge sundae
is disgusting." - Jerry Farnsworth in _Job: A Comedy of Justice_

 The Carbon Copy Cloner page
(http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) states that it is for OS X.
How does one back up a Mac OS 9.2.2 system?

If I boot from the Apple OS 9 CD and run "Disk Utility", will I be
able to make an image of the hard drive that can copied over to a new
hard drive?

Kenn
0
clemke (28)
11/4/2004 9:35:44 PM
In article <96e10b2f.0411041335.1b94dc01@posting.google.com>, kmc
<clemke@email.toast.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the ideas.
>
>  The Carbon Copy Cloner page
> (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) states that it is for OS X.
> How does one back up a Mac OS 9.2.2 system?
>
> If I boot from the Apple OS 9 CD and run "Disk Utility", will I be
> able to make an image of the hard drive that can copied over to a new
> hard drive?
Yes

Cathy

--
"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
cats1921@sonic.netinvalid
0
cats19213 (263)
11/4/2004 10:02:41 PM
clemke@email.toast.net (kmc) wrote in message news:<96e10b2f.0411041335.1b94dc01@posting.google.com>...
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
>  The Carbon Copy Cloner page
> (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) states that it is for OS X.
> How does one back up a Mac OS 9.2.2 system?
>
> If I boot from the Apple OS 9 CD and run "Disk Utility", will I be
> able to make an image of the hard drive that can copied over to a new
> hard drive?
>
> Kenn

Backing up or copying the system drive in OS 9 is trivial. You just
copy everything by dragging it and dropping it. I have backup OS 9
systems all over the place. I can recover from any possible disaster.
0
Alternity (96)
11/5/2004 6:13:17 PM
In article <a495b085.0411051013.4f96603c@posting.google.com>,
 Alternity@EV1.net (Roj) wrote:

> clemke@email.toast.net (kmc) wrote in message
> > Thanks for the ideas.
> >
> >  The Carbon Copy Cloner page
> > (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) states that it is for OS X.
> > How does one back up a Mac OS 9.2.2 system?
> >
> > If I boot from the Apple OS 9 CD and run "Disk Utility", will I be
> > able to make an image of the hard drive that can copied over to a new
> > hard drive?
> >
> > Kenn
>
> Backing up or copying the system drive in OS 9 is trivial. You just
> copy everything by dragging it and dropping it. I have backup OS 9
> systems all over the place. I can recover from any possible disaster.

I back-up files from both X and 9.x simultaneously using Toast to CD's
all the time with no problems.

--
Panta Rei
0
> > Backing up or copying the system drive in OS 9 is trivial. You just
> > copy everything by dragging it and dropping it. I have backup OS 9
> > systems all over the place. I can recover from any possible disaster.
>
> I back-up files from both X and 9.x simultaneously using Toast to CD's
> all the time with no problems.

Ordinary files, okay. But I was talking about backing up or copying
the *system* files on the *system* drive. You need special software to
do that with OS X if you want to boot from the destination drive. Like
Carbon Copy Cloner.
0
Alternity (96)