Help! Can't download e-mail (Eudora 6.1.1 and OS 9.1)

For three days now, Eudora (v. 6.1.1) has crashed and frozen my Mac
(G4, OS 9.1) when it tries to delete old e-mail on the Southwestern
Bell server.

Eudora gets almost to the end of deleting between 300 and 400 old
messages (mostly spam), then freezes, and then my Mac freezes. As a
result, I can't receive any e-mail (and the spam backlog keeps
growing). I can send messages, but only if I send them before checking
for new ones.

Newsgroups and the Web still work, as do all applications that I've run
since the e-mail problem began.

Running a fresh copy of Eudora from an external hard disk makes no
difference. Most recently, the system did manage to alert me about a
Type 10 error before freezing.

I have reinstalled Eudora and the entire system (twice), given Eudora
more memory (80 MB ought to be more than sufficient), rebuilt the
Desktop (from scratch with TechTool) twice, reset the PRAM and NVRAM,
removed and reinstalled the Mac's battery, run all the standard
diagnostic tools (Disk First Aid, TechTool Pro, DiskWarrior, and even
Apple's Hardware Test CD-ROM), and I have replaced the disk's driver
(with Drive Setup). The only thing remaining (that I can think of) is
to re-format the hard disk--but would that make sense when Eudora
crashes on an external hard disk as well?

I have used Eudora for Southwestern Bell's e-mail ever since I
subscribed to SWB's DSL service six years ago. This is the first time
that Eudora has ever failed to work, and the problem started exactly
three days ago.

I can't help wondering whether some new protocol at Southwestern Bell's
server might be affecting Eudora. I don't have any confidence that
SWB's technical support can help with Eudora or anything else that runs
on a Mac. I can't read or manage my e-mail at SWB's Web site (not since
its alliance with Yahoo).

I'd try to get in touch with Qualcom, the software company that makes
Eudora, but Qualcom seems to be closing down operations, and its
bulletin board won't accept new posts. I hope that someone in this
newsgroup can give me good advice about how to solve the problem.

Sincerely (he says with growing desperation),
Robert Bass
Galveston Island, Texas
(stranded on a desert island until I can reestablish an e-mail link)
0
robtbass (3)

In article <201220062347522350%robtbass@swbell.net>,
 Robert Bass <robtbass@swbell.net> wrote:

> For three days now, Eudora (v. 6.1.1) has crashed and frozen my Mac
> (G4, OS 9.1) when it tries to delete old e-mail on the Southwestern
> Bell server.
>
> Eudora gets almost to the end of deleting between 300 and 400 old
> messages (mostly spam), then freezes, and then my Mac freezes. As a
> result, I can't receive any e-mail (and the spam backlog keeps
> growing). I can send messages, but only if I send them before checking
> for new ones.
>
> Newsgroups and the Web still work, as do all applications that I've run
> since the e-mail problem began.
>
> Running a fresh copy of Eudora from an external hard disk makes no
> difference. Most recently, the system did manage to alert me about a
> Type 10 error before freezing.
>
> I have reinstalled Eudora and the entire system (twice), given Eudora
> more memory (80 MB ought to be more than sufficient), rebuilt the
> Desktop (from scratch with TechTool) twice, reset the PRAM and NVRAM,
> removed and reinstalled the Mac's battery, run all the standard
> diagnostic tools (Disk First Aid, TechTool Pro, DiskWarrior, and even
> Apple's Hardware Test CD-ROM), and I have replaced the disk's driver
> (with Drive Setup). The only thing remaining (that I can think of) is
> to re-format the hard disk--but would that make sense when Eudora
> crashes on an external hard disk as well?
>
> I have used Eudora for Southwestern Bell's e-mail ever since I
> subscribed to SWB's DSL service six years ago. This is the first time
> that Eudora has ever failed to work, and the problem started exactly
> three days ago.
>
> I can't help wondering whether some new protocol at Southwestern Bell's
> server might be affecting Eudora. I don't have any confidence that
> SWB's technical support can help with Eudora or anything else that runs
> on a Mac. I can't read or manage my e-mail at SWB's Web site (not since
> its alliance with Yahoo).
>
> I'd try to get in touch with Qualcom, the software company that makes
> Eudora, but Qualcom seems to be closing down operations, and its
> bulletin board won't accept new posts. I hope that someone in this
> newsgroup can give me good advice about how to solve the problem.
>
> Sincerely (he says with growing desperation),
> Robert Bass
> Galveston Island, Texas
> (stranded on a desert island until I can reestablish an e-mail link)

I've seen funky (technical term) characters in spam e-mail hang the
client when it tries to download it before. Does SW Bell have web mail
that you could access and clear out any suspicious messages?

Failing that, perhaps try setting up another e-mail program, set it to
"leave mail on server" and "delete from server when emptied from trash".
Another client may be more forgiving of any malformed messages. You
could then trash what you don't need, empty the trash, check mail again,
and clear them off the server. Leaving everything else there to be
downloaded by Eudora.

Steve
0
jones948 (113)
12/21/2006 1:12:53 PM
In article <201220062347522350%robtbass@swbell.net>,
 Robert Bass <robtbass@swbell.net> wrote:

> Eudora gets almost to the end of deleting between 300 and 400 old
> messages (mostly spam), then freezes, and then my Mac freezes. As a
> result, I can't receive any e-mail (and the spam backlog keeps
> growing). I can send messages, but only if I send them before checking
> for new ones.

There may be some weird-format email that crashes Eudora. I've seen this
with a relative's Eudora; I usually go in and clean her mailboxes out
with OS X's Mail. I've never figured it out enough to send a bug report
to Eudora -- it's some character or combination of characters freezes it
up. Mail always clears it up.
--
W. Oates
0
In article <201220062347522350%robtbass@swbell.net>,
 Robert Bass <robtbass@swbell.net> wrote:

> For three days now, Eudora (v. 6.1.1) has crashed and frozen my Mac
> (G4, OS 9.1) when it tries to delete old e-mail on the Southwestern
> Bell server.

[ much snippage ]

Likely a corrupted e-mail on the server end.  I have this same thing
happen all the time now with Mailsmith 1.1.8 on OS 9.

Foreign spam use characters and combos that can crash out a mail
program easily.

Suggest you run a search and locate a copy of Mail Siphon, POP
Manager, or Pop Monitor for OS 9.

These allow you to poll the remote server and delete those messages
that you do not want directly from the server itself.

Of these I have personally found Mail Siphon to be the fastest and
more reliable.  It can also reply to select messages.

If your service offers a web mail interface you might try that as well.

When I have a corrupted mail on my server and it crashes my mail
program, I use Mail Siphon to clear it.  When that hangs - rare but
can happen - I use my service's web mail to do it.  Usually one or the
other works.

Worse case - call your ISP and tell them you have a corrupt message
and you need it removed.

DMK
0
sunclad (274)
12/21/2006 3:05:09 PM
In article <sunclad-354BBC.10050921122006@news.verizon.net>,
 "D. Kirkpatrick" <sunclad@sunclad.com> wrote:

> Worse case - call your ISP and tell them you have a corrupt message
> and you need it removed.

We tried that with my relative's ISP. Ha. I had wondered up to that
point where all those released mental patients were hanging out.

"We don't support Eudora."
"You don't have to: just empty the mailbox."
"We don't support Eudora."
"Just empty the fucking mailbox."

and so on.
--
W. Oates
0
On 2006-12-21 13:09:30 -0600, Warren Oates <warren.oates@gmail.com> said:

> "We don't support Eudora."
> "You don't have to: just empty the mailbox."
> "We don't support Eudora."
> "Just empty the fucking mailbox."

"Ok then cancel my account and I'll take my business elsewhere."

--
JR

0
jollyroger2 (3048)
12/21/2006 7:31:42 PM
In article <201220062347522350%robtbass@swbell.net>,
 Robert Bass <robtbass@swbell.net> wrote:

> For three days now, Eudora (v. 6.1.1) has crashed and frozen my Mac
> (G4, OS 9.1) when it tries to delete old e-mail on the Southwestern
> Bell server.
>
> Eudora gets almost to the end of deleting between 300 and 400 old
> messages (mostly spam), then freezes, and then my Mac freezes. As a
> result, I can't receive any e-mail (and the spam backlog keeps
> growing). I can send messages, but only if I send them before checking
> for new ones.
>
> Newsgroups and the Web still work, as do all applications that I've run
> since the e-mail problem began.
>
> Running a fresh copy of Eudora from an external hard disk makes no
> difference. Most recently, the system did manage to alert me about a
> Type 10 error before freezing.
>
> I have reinstalled Eudora and the entire system (twice), given Eudora
> more memory (80 MB ought to be more than sufficient), rebuilt the
> Desktop (from scratch with TechTool) twice, reset the PRAM and NVRAM,
> removed and reinstalled the Mac's battery, run all the standard
> diagnostic tools (Disk First Aid, TechTool Pro, DiskWarrior, and even
> Apple's Hardware Test CD-ROM), and I have replaced the disk's driver
> (with Drive Setup). The only thing remaining (that I can think of) is
> to re-format the hard disk--but would that make sense when Eudora
> crashes on an external hard disk as well?
>
> I have used Eudora for Southwestern Bell's e-mail ever since I
> subscribed to SWB's DSL service six years ago. This is the first time
> that Eudora has ever failed to work, and the problem started exactly
> three days ago.
>
> I can't help wondering whether some new protocol at Southwestern Bell's
> server might be affecting Eudora. I don't have any confidence that
> SWB's technical support can help with Eudora or anything else that runs
> on a Mac. I can't read or manage my e-mail at SWB's Web site (not since
> its alliance with Yahoo).
>
> I'd try to get in touch with Qualcom, the software company that makes
> Eudora, but Qualcom seems to be closing down operations, and its
> bulletin board won't accept new posts. I hope that someone in this
> newsgroup can give me good advice about how to solve the problem.
>
> Sincerely (he says with growing desperation),
> Robert Bass
> Galveston Island, Texas
> (stranded on a desert island until I can reestablish an e-mail link)

My husband had the same problem with v6.1.1 and 9.2.2. The culprit was
spam with embedded graphics. I disabled "Automatically download HTML
graphics" in Settings/Fonts & Display/Display Options and the problem
went away.
<robtbass@swbell.net> wrote:

> For three days now, Eudora (v. 6.1.1) has crashed and frozen my Mac
> (G4, OS 9.1) when it tries to delete old e-mail on the Southwestern
> Bell server.

Eureka! Thanks to everyone who helped. The solution seems to have been
(as several of you suggested) to sort through and then delete all mail
on the server by running some e-mail program other than Eudora in order
to eliminate the message that Eudora couldn't handle.

I didn't think I had another e-mail program, but I found a neglected
copy of Microsoft Entourage lurking on my hard disk. (Entourage came
with Office 2001, which I bought solely for MS Word, which I use
rarely.) Crude interface and few features, but it worked, and now
Eudora runs again without a hiccup.

I still don't know the cause of the problem because (following someone
else's suggestion) I also disabled in-line graphics in Eudora. Not
exactly a controlled experiment, then, but the Mac's anarchist's-bomb
error message makes my hair stand on end and I try to avoid eliciting
it whenever I can.

In short, Eudora is back up and I just wanted to thank everyone who
responded to my request for help.

I hadn't visited any of the Mac newsgroups in a while and had forgotten
how helpful and friendly everyone is. Thanks again.

Robert Bass
Galveston, Texas
(which Cabeza De Vaca called "the Island of Doom"--a slight
exaggeration)
0
robtbass (3)