HELP: Classic Won't Launch - Problems Have Escalated - Tiger drives won't mount

System: MDD DP with OS 10.4.8. Three physical HD's. Two with Tiger
installed (one is the major HD and the other is the emergency boot
drive with just a virgin system on it) and one with just games, no OS.

I tried to boot into OS 9.2.2 (this particular G4 is OS 9.2.2
bootable), It boots but once the desktop appears moving the mouse over
the menu bar has no effect. Menus don't pull down and the only way to
shutdown is via a hard shutdown. When I try Target Disk Mode with an
iBook G4, the only drive that mounts is the games drive which has no
system on it. I can't get the opitcal drive door open so I can't boot
from the Tiger install DVD so what do I do? Disk Utility on the iBook
G4 only sees the games drive so I can't mount the other two drives that
way. No sense in attempting to repair permissions on drives that won't
mount so....... Suggestions anyone? Thanks.
0
otto (208)

Otto Pylot <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote:

> When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts
> is the games drive which has no system on it.

In Target Disk Mode, only the master drive is available (and, in MDD
G4s, only on one IDE bus).

> I can't get the opitcal drive door open so I can't boot
> from the Tiger install DVD so what do I do?

Rebooting while holding down the mouse button will open the drive tray,
and from there you can reboot from the DVD, and from _there_ you can go
back to booting in OS X.  At that point, you can wait until your heart
rate has returned to normal before working on the OS 9 problem again.

One thing you've accomplished is demonstrating that your OS 9 problem
isn't specifically related to running it in Classic.  You may well want
to find another OS 9.2.2 System Folder to use instead of the current
one, as that would be a lot simpler than troubleshooting the current
problem, and, as you've said, you don't run Classic all that often.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
Otto Pylot <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote:

> Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

How 'bout the old OS 9-8-7-6, etc., trick: starting without extensions
(Shift down during boot)? Then -- persuming it boots without Extensions
-- going the old route of using Extensions Manager to turn off all but
the bare essentials and adding one by one, likewise (if the above
doesn't cut it alone) manuallly moving Prefs files and possibly fonts
out of the System Folder and - again like extensions - back in there,
carefully, one at a time, until the culprit is found?

Then, once that is done, you can reboot into OS X and be grateful those
days are (mostly) gone... :-)
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
Mike Rosenberg <mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com> wrote:

> Otto Pylot <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote:
>
> > When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts
> > is the games drive which has no system on it.
>
> In Target Disk Mode, only the master drive is available (and, in MDD
> G4s, only on one IDE bus).

Didn't know that. Thanks.

> > I can't get the opitcal drive door open so I can't boot
> > from the Tiger install DVD so what do I do?
>
> Rebooting while holding down the mouse button will open the drive tray,
> and from there you can reboot from the DVD, and from _there_ you can go
> back to booting in OS X.  At that point, you can wait until your heart
> rate has returned to normal before working on the OS 9 problem again.

Totally forgot about the mouse button for the drive tray. However, I
did finally manage to get the MDD to boot into a functional OS 9.2.2
with extensions off (held down the shift key). It's amazing how all of
the old 9.2 tricks are quickly forgotten once one has been using OS
10.x for so long. I restarted from my  emergency Tiger drive and
rebuilt permissions on the boot drive in case something got messed up.
Heart rate is back to normal  and all is well.

> One thing you've accomplished is demonstrating that your OS 9 problem
> isn't specifically related to running it in Classic.  You may well want
> to find another OS 9.2.2 System Folder to use instead of the current
> one, as that would be a lot simpler than troubleshooting the current
> problem, and, as you've said, you don't run Classic all that often.

If my son  doesn't need OS 9 anymo' then it will remain an untouched
relic of the past. Thanks.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic.
0
otto (208)
10/13/2006 8:23:00 PM
In article <1hn5zzw.1q6g3di1p2ff30N%see_signature@mac.com.invalid>, Jon
<see_signature@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

> Otto Pylot <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Suggestions anyone? Thanks.
>
> How 'bout the old OS 9-8-7-6, etc., trick: starting without extensions
> (Shift down during boot)? Then -- persuming it boots without Extensions
> -- going the old route of using Extensions Manager to turn off all but
> the bare essentials and adding one by one, likewise (if the above
> doesn't cut it alone) manuallly moving Prefs files and possibly fonts
> out of the System Folder and - again like extensions - back in there,
> carefully, one at a time, until the culprit is found?
>
> Then, once that is done, you can reboot into OS X and be grateful those
> days are (mostly) gone... :-)

I agree. All is well now. Thanks for the reply.