f



Help! Time Machine disk problem (and more)

This morning I went into my office and heard a slight clicking
noise. I realized that it was coming from the external drive
that contains my Time Machine backups. (The other partition
has some media files I don't use very often.)

I tried to stop the in-progress backup, but it's been nine
hours now and the TM status still says "Stopping Backup."
(I had to leave the house just a few minutes after discovering
this problem and have been out all day, or I would have posted 
this query much earlier!)

The last successful backup was at 7:15 this morning, so this
may have been going on since 8:15. 

Then Finder hung up; I tried to relaunch it, but here we are
nine hours later and it hasn't repopulated the Desktop. The
Force Quit option is no longer there; when I click Open, which
is the only option availble, I get an error message that Finder.app 
cannot be run.

What steps should I take to have the best chance of protecting
the data on the TM drive? Is it toast, or is there a chance of
saving it? I haven't turned off the iMac (Snow Leopard) yet,
pending advice from folks on this group. 


Patty

0
Patty
12/24/2016 3:54:29 AM
comp.sys.mac.system 33446 articles. 2 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

8 Replies
70 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 8

In article <o3krhl$426$1@dont-email.me>,
 Patty Winter <patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> What steps should I take to have the best chance of protecting
> the data on the TM drive? Is it toast, or is there a chance of
> saving it? I haven't turned off the iMac (Snow Leopard) yet,
> pending advice from folks on this group. 

If you have a disk which changes its behavior, it's dead.  If you 
ABSOLUTELY NEED the data on that backup, there are a number of services 
which may be able to get (some of) it back for you, for a price.

Have you tried to get data off it?  What happens?  (still, treat it as 
dead and order a replacement)
0
Howard
12/24/2016 4:58:36 AM
In article <o3krhl$426$1@dont-email.me>, Patty Winter
<patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> What steps should I take to have the best chance of protecting
> the data on the TM drive? Is it toast, or is there a chance of
> saving it? I haven't turned off the iMac (Snow Leopard) yet,
> pending advice from folks on this group. 

I don't know what's going on with your external drive. I know what I'd
do if my finder was hanging. I'd shutdown the computer and unplug the
external drive. Then restart the computer. If all seems fine, plug your
external Time Machine drive back in, and go from there.
I don't know or care how others use Time Machine. I have a zero day to
two week old SuperDuper! backup always. When Time Machine gets full on
a external drive, I backup to SuperDuper!, erase my Time Machine drive
and restart the erased drive for another round of Time Machine backups.  
YMMV.

leo
0
Leonard
12/24/2016 6:39:41 AM
Patty Winter:

> This morning I went into my office and heard a slight clicking
> noise. I realized that it was coming from the external drive
> that contains my Time Machine backups. (The other partition
> has some media files I don't use very often.)

>...

> What steps should I take to have the best chance of protecting
> the data on the TM drive? Is it toast, or is there a chance of
> saving it? I haven't turned off the iMac (Snow Leopard) yet,
> pending advice from folks on this group.

As Mr. Shubs said, it's time to consider a data recovery service if
that data must be recovered.

There is a larger issue in my mind. Time Machine has always been a
clumsy way to backup data. Now, with Apple reportedly getting out of
the AirPort business, it's a good time to implement a new backup
regime. I would recommend that you get two external drives (at least)
of your choice and switch to SuperDuper. Fast, clean, easy, reliable,
and for your main internal drive, bootable.

-- 
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
0
Davoud
12/24/2016 1:11:18 PM
On 2016-12-23 22:54, Patty Winter wrote:
> This morning I went into my office and heard a slight clicking
> noise. I realized that it was coming from the external drive
> that contains my Time Machine backups. (The other partition
> has some media files I don't use very often.)
>
> I tried to stop the in-progress backup, but it's been nine
> hours now and the TM status still says "Stopping Backup."
> (I had to leave the house just a few minutes after discovering
> this problem and have been out all day, or I would have posted
> this query much earlier!)
>
> The last successful backup was at 7:15 this morning, so this
> may have been going on since 8:15.
>
> Then Finder hung up; I tried to relaunch it, but here we are
> nine hours later and it hasn't repopulated the Desktop. The
> Force Quit option is no longer there; when I click Open, which
> is the only option availble, I get an error message that Finder.app
> cannot be run.
>
> What steps should I take to have the best chance of protecting
> the data on the TM drive? Is it toast, or is there a chance of
> saving it? I haven't turned off the iMac (Snow Leopard) yet,
> pending advice from folks on this group.

This is why I run two disks for TM - alternating, and monthly do a swap 
for two other disks which are (theoretically) kept offsite (confessions 
of laziness on the last).

I suspect you have a badly munged TM.

Do not fear: you're still backed up with your system disk after all.  It 
is not likely to fail by the time you solve all this.

Hardware reboot (power button) and see what happens next.

Oh, and order a couple new external drives.

-- 
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
   ..Raj Patel, The Value of Nothing.
0
Alan
12/24/2016 3:34:48 PM
Thanks, everyone. The consensus: dead, dead, dead. 

Last night I rebooted the iMac. As I suspected, the external drive
didn't mount. It just kept clicking. So there's no way for me to
copy the data from it.

I attached the external drive I use for my MacBook and made a TM
backup of the iMac overnight. I'll order a second drive and keep it 
attached to the iMac. Probably a good idea to swap them occasionally 
so that each computer is backed up in two places.  

I'll call my local Mac place and see how much it would cost to
attempt data recovery from the dead drive. I use TM occasionally,
but all of my recent projects have been ones that involved sending
frequent drafts to my client, so she has copies of the older versions
should we need them (unlikely). I also had some miscellaneous media
files that probably aren't a big loss, but if the recovery won't cost
much, I'll do it.

Davoud, what's the connection between Apple stopping production
of AirPort and your recommendation that I use a different backup
method than TM?


Patty
 
0
Patty
12/24/2016 6:55:03 PM
In article <o3mga7$177$1@dont-email.me>, Patty Winter
<patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> Thanks, everyone. The consensus: dead, dead, dead. 
> 
> Last night I rebooted the iMac. As I suspected, the external drive
> didn't mount. It just kept clicking. So there's no way for me to
> copy the data from it.

since it's a backup, you still have your main drive. 

> I attached the external drive I use for my MacBook and made a TM
> backup of the iMac overnight. I'll order a second drive and keep it 
> attached to the iMac. Probably a good idea to swap them occasionally 
> so that each computer is backed up in two places.  

at least three copies, with at least one off site. the more the merrier.

> I'll call my local Mac place and see how much it would cost to
> attempt data recovery from the dead drive. I use TM occasionally,
> but all of my recent projects have been ones that involved sending
> frequent drafts to my client, so she has copies of the older versions
> should we need them (unlikely). I also had some miscellaneous media
> files that probably aren't a big loss, but if the recovery won't cost
> much, I'll do it.

if the drive has physically failed, it won't be cheap. plan on
thousands of dollars.

one of the best, if not the best, is drive savers:
<http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com>

> Davoud, what's the connection between Apple stopping production
> of AirPort and your recommendation that I use a different backup
> method than TM?

apple stopping production of airport routers, more specifically, time
capsules, does not mean you can't use time machine. time machine is not
dependent on a time capsule. you can use any external drive you want,
including some non-apple nas devices.
0
nospam
12/24/2016 7:28:35 PM
Patty Winter:
> I attached the external drive I use for my MacBook and made a TM
> backup of the iMac overnight. I'll order a second drive and keep it 
> attached to the iMac. Probably a good idea to swap them occasionally 
> so that each computer is backed up in two places.

Indeed, it is.

> Davoud, what's the connection between Apple stopping production
> of AirPort and your recommendation that I use a different backup
> method than TM?

Sorry, I was thinking in terms of Apple's own AirPort cum TM devices,
which I assume will go out of production. Even though one can make a TM
backup to another device, I find the TM interface to be clumsy, not at
all straightforward. With a SuperDuper backup your clone is just that.
Your entire hierarchy is intact, and in the case where a single file or
two needs to be recovered you know just where it is. In the case of an
internal drive failure (twice in the past five years for me)
restoration only requires time, not much in the way of labor (not
counting replacing the internal drive). My wife and I keep two
SuperDuper backups of each of our internal HD's on three 27" iMacs and
three MacBook Pro's.

-- 
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
0
Davoud
12/24/2016 9:53:19 PM
In article <241220161653192411%star@sky.net>, Davoud  <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote:
>Patty Winter:
>
>> Davoud, what's the connection between Apple stopping production
>> of AirPort and your recommendation that I use a different backup
>> method than TM?
>
>Sorry, I was thinking in terms of Apple's own AirPort cum TM devices,
>which I assume will go out of production. 

Oh, okay, I didn't realize that some AirPort units also had Time 
Machine drives. I know that Apple has something called Time Capsule, 
but I've never investigated that. I just use an ordinary external 
hard drive for Time Machine backups.


>Even though one can make a TM
>backup to another device, I find the TM interface to be clumsy, not at
>all straightforward. With a SuperDuper backup your clone is just that.
>Your entire hierarchy is intact, and in the case where a single file or
>two needs to be recovered you know just where it is. 

Hmmm, when I've retrieved a file from TM, I've just opened the relevant
folder and launched TM to see older versions of that folder. If I were
to forget which folder the file was in, I could search for it with Finder
and then open the resulting folder in TM. Does that not work for you? Are
you talking about files that only exist in backups because you've deleted
your working copies of them?


Patty

0
Patty
12/24/2016 11:18:01 PM
Reply: